#5971 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Skyfall 6.5 outa 10

Good acting (I love Javier Bardem) but the writing/editing seemed to be really choppy at times. After meticulous planning the bad guy initiates a rather pedestrian firefight? It's like they ran out of ideas.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#5972 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Wreck it Ralph 8\10
GO Canucks GO

#5973 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

We Bought A Zoo: Solid 7.5/10

Worth the watch. Matt Damon did an amazing job once again, he even gained weight to match his role!

It's currently on netflix.

Edited by I♥Wellwood, 04 November 2012 - 02:20 AM.

Posted Image

#5974 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,763 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

Brave - 7.5

Better than I expected, but typical Pixar all the same.
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#5975 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

Skyfall 7.5/10 Yeah, it was ok. Theme: Everyone's just getting way too damn old for this.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#5976 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Brave - 5.5/10

It starts off with some promise, but it devolves into something .. well, stupid. I didn't know what the full premise of the movie was going in, so as the movie got into it, it just gets worse and worse.

It's less of a Pixar movie, and more of a Disney one. But not a good Disney one. As the movie begins to reveal itself, it shows that it's by and large just a kids movie. Which is fine as long as you're just considering it as an animated movie for younger audiences, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. A good animated movie has to offer more beyond that. It's not without it's obvious moral to the story, but it goes about it in such a simplistic manner. And it's full of pratfalls and cheap humour.

Taking the same idea and meaning, and having it be about anything at all other than turning the queen into a bear, it would have been far better off. Yet even if I had known the premise, I wouldn't have quite expected... this.

Although it's better than Cars 2, if that means anything.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#5977 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Taken 2 7.5 outa 10.

Not bad at all for a sequel even tho I haven't seen the first one.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#5978 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I just watched Oliver Stone's latest film Savages.

Entrepreneurs Ben (Aaron Johnson), a peaceful and charitable marijuana producer, and friend Chon (Taylor Kitsch), a former Navy SEAL, run a lucrative, homegrown industry - raising some of the best weed ever developed. They also share a one-of-a-kind love with Ophelia (Bake Lively). Life is idyllic in their Southern California town... until the Mexican Baja Cartel decides to move in and demands that the trio partners with them. When the merciless head of the BC, Elena (Selma Hayek) and her enforcer, Lado (Benicio Del Toro), underestimate the unbreakable bond of the three friends, Ben and Chon - with the reluctant assistance of a dirty DEA agent (John Travolta) - wage a seemingly unwinnable war against the cartel. And so begins a series of increasingly vicious ploys and maneuvers in a high stakes, savage battle of wills.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615065/

Roger Ebert give is 3 1/2 stars out of four:

Much of the fascination of "Savages" comes through Stone's treatment of the negotiations, which involve percentages, sliding scales over three years, an ultimate payout, and other financial details that drugs have in common with big business. It's spellbinding to watch the two sides trying to outthink each other. One of the big closing scenes involves a variation of the kind of hostage trade familiar from countless Western and gangster movies — only in Stone's hands, it turns out to be not so familiar at all.

It's hard to describe how morality sneaks in here, and how everyone is evil but some have their good sides. Try to unravel the relationship that develops between Elena and O. Notice that the snaky Lado, played by Del Toro as a pitiless predator, has certain sensibilities. Listen to the discussions between Chon and Ben about the woman who was part of their so perfect triangle. Try to track the motives of Travolta's DEA agent. No, wait. It's occurred to me that he's completely evil.

http://rogerebert.su...VIEWS/120709995

Highly recommended.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#5979 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,763 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Brave - 5.5/10

It starts off with some promise, but it devolves into something .. well, stupid. I didn't know what the full premise of the movie was going in, so as the movie got into it, it just gets worse and worse.

It's less of a Pixar movie, and more of a Disney one. But not a good Disney one. As the movie begins to reveal itself, it shows that it's by and large just a kids movie. Which is fine as long as you're just considering it as an animated movie for younger audiences, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. A good animated movie has to offer more beyond that. It's not without it's obvious moral to the story, but it goes about it in such a simplistic manner. And it's full of pratfalls and cheap humour.

Taking the same idea and meaning, and having it be about anything at all other than turning the queen into a bear, it would have been far better off. Yet even if I had known the premise, I wouldn't have quite expected... this.

Tooootally disagree. Yeah, it's "just a kids movie" but maybe that's the point. Having a female lead be such a strong (or at least intelligently defiant, individualistic, etc.) in a kids movie that will be viewed by millions of children (over and over again) is important. The film seems to be an anti-love story, which is extremely unique, and the antithesis of how Disney presents its "princess" figures.

The character's are multi-dimensional, conflicted, and their choices bring heavy consequences. IMO it was a good movie. Lacked the ridiculous emotional manipulation of Up and those other films, but it packs the same intellectual punch, I think.
Posted Image

#5980 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Wreck-It Ralph: 9 out of 10

Amazing movie that's able to balance being a family film and video game film seamlessly. The best one I've seen all year. Proves that Disney's still got it!

#5981 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

I saw Looper. I liked the concept and a bit of the acting but the rest, not at all. I pretty much called the plot from the get go and *Spoilers in white text ahead* the way he killed himself while he could have just shot his arm off to save the woman instead drove me crazy. Probably wouldn't watch it again, but I do want to watch Cloud Atlas a lot now after reading these reviews.

Saw Looper the other day, I give it a 7.5/10.

I have no idea how you "called" the plot.
Spoiler

#5982 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Finally 18 and Legal - 10/10 - A story about a young girl who becomes an independent woman.
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#5983 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Wreck-It-Ralph 7/10

Enjoyable movie for sure. Nothing really amazing. How I wish it was a live action just to see John C. Reilly act it out. Totally enjoyable movie except for Sarah Silverman's character. For some reason her voice just grates my ears.

Posted Image

#5984 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Tooootally disagree. Yeah, it's "just a kids movie" but maybe that's the point. Having a female lead be such a strong (or at least intelligently defiant, individualistic, etc.) in a kids movie that will be viewed by millions of children (over and over again) is important. The film seems to be an anti-love story, which is extremely unique, and the antithesis of how Disney presents its "princess" figures.

The character's are multi-dimensional, conflicted, and their choices bring heavy consequences. IMO it was a good movie. Lacked the ridiculous emotional manipulation of Up and those other films, but it packs the same intellectual punch, I think.

I did like the strong anti-princess feel to it, and I did feel the distance between the queen and her daughter to be a genuine and relatable one. The moment when the princess runs away was a powerful one. But as soon as the queen turned into a bear, the story itself was no longer multi-dimensional, and if it went in any other direction I would have been watching a better movie.

Kids who watch it for the bear humour will definitely learn something, and that's a good thing, but again I still have a hard time recommending it to someone who is perhaps over the age of 12 (which I believe is half of CDC at least). It was just awkward and ham-fisted in it's delivery. Pixar isn't exactly about subtlety, but they have done better, and they could've done better here with this one.

ucuxpJV.png

#5985 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

totally understandable, i'd be a bit reluctant to recommend it too, as it is quite childish. and i do agree the bear aspect (while cute) was really childish and very fairy tale driven, which isn't exactly adult territory

and the music was pretty bad too.

still enjoyed it though!

speaking of animated movies... totally psyched for the paranorman dvd leak, which should happen any day now. been wanting to see that for months and months.
Posted Image

#5986 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

Looking forward to seeing Paranorman as well. It's a movie of which I don't know what to expect exactly, but it looks promising.

ucuxpJV.png

#5987 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,926 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

Go see Cloud Atlas, britches, and tell me what you thought of it

#5988 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Better than Mater with gattling guns? Nope, doesn't mean much.

Cars 2 kind of reminded me of Mel Gibson and Homer's remake of Mr. Smith Goes To Washington...
Posted Image

#5989 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

...Just saw that IMDB has a trailer up for Despicable Me 2. Now THAT is a movie I'm looking forward to.
Posted Image

#5990 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Just watched The Crow again over the weekend
Great music.............still pretty bummed out about the passing of Brandon Lee :(
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#5991 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,299 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

The nines 5/10
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#5992 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

The Descendents - 6.5/10

I really do not know what all the fuss was about. It was watchable, sure; but otherwise it was very forgettable.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#5993 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

The Descendents - 6.5/10

I really do not know what all the fuss was about. It was watchable, sure; but otherwise it was very forgettable.

I liked it a bit more than you (7.5/10-ish), but yeah - nothing outstanding. Clooney was great, but I thought the teen daughter was a bit overkill.

Then again, I can't think of a whole lot of movies in the last year that I thought were much better. Not many truly great movies being made. So maybe the fuss is due to lack of competition.
Posted Image

#5994 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Just watched The Crow again over the weekend
Great music.............still pretty bummed out about the passing of Brandon Lee   :(

Agree! I would have watched every movie he would have ever made. I was in shock for a couple of days when he died.

#5995 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,664 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

My daughter will probably be watching brave on the regular, and I'm fine with that.

#5996 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Red State - 8/10

My only complaint is I wanted more from it the 3 boys. Not in the good sense where the movie leaves you with the feeling of wanting more but I actually think they should have been more prominent. It seems like there are 10 main characters in the movie.
Other than that I love the story and the execution of the story is great. Stephen Root is fantastic and I always like seeing John Goodman. The only cast member I didn't like was Melissa Leo but she wasn't bad in it...just not right. Probably cast more because of the Oscar buzz around her at the time.

Good movie...highly recommend it. The Phelps er.....Cooper family were great.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5997 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Not many truly great movies being made. So maybe the fuss is due to lack of competition.

This is absolutely true. Maybe I'm just getting old and have less time for movies that I don't feel were a 'good' waste of my time. I'm hoping that Lincoln makes up for it, as I eagerly await any Daniel Day Lewis film that isn't "Nine." The Hobbit better deliver as well.I have so many movies in my queue on Netflix that I look at and go, "Do I really want to watch this?" So I don't and usually end up watching a rerun of Arrested Development.

#5998 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,109 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Flight was friggin great. Denzel at his best for sure!

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#5999 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

This is absolutely true. Maybe I'm just getting old and have less time for movies that I don't feel were a 'good' waste of my time. I'm hoping that Lincoln makes up for it, as I eagerly await any Daniel Day Lewis film that isn't "Nine." The Hobbit better deliver as well.I have so many movies in my queue on Netflix that I look at and go, "Do I really want to watch this?" So I don't and usually end up watching a rerun of Arrested Development.

AD rules. Odds are, there is more genius in said 21-minute episode than in almost any 100-min movie.

I've had my eye on a few documentaries, but haven't taken the time. My wife and I tried to watch Puss In Boots last night, but lost interest quickly. zzzzZZZZzzzz...

I had high expectations for Dark Knight Rises and Moonrise Kingdom, as Nolan and Anderson are two of my favourite directors, but I found both disappointing. Life of Pi, Argo, and Looper look good...but I'm not anticipating much out of any movies lately.

Edited by D-Money, 06 November 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Posted Image

#6000 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

AD rules. Odds are, there is more genius in said 21-minute episode than in almost any 100-min movie.

I've had my eye on a few documentaries, but haven't taken the time. My wife and I tried to watch Puss In Boots last night, but lost interest quickly. zzzzZZZZzzzz...

I had high expectations for Dark Knight Rises and Moonrise Kingdom, as Nolan and Anderson are two of my favourite directors, but I found both disappointing. Life of Pi, Argo, and Looper look good...but I'm not anticipating much out of any movies lately.

1. My wife and I have put Puss n' Boots on twice in the last month and have fallen asleep both times. Not going to try for a third.2. Life of Pi. There are some movies I hope I'm wrong on, but this just looks awful. Hope I'm wrong.3. Argo. I know I'll like it, but going to the theatres is not as important as it used to be for me. I'll wait until it's available on demand.4. Looper was alright. Not terrific, but it was worth watching. I'd say along the same lines as the Descendents actually. Probably received the acclaim it did because there is so much crap being put out (ie: Fun Size or every Adam Sandler movie).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.