6251 replies to this topic

#6001 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Ted and Looper - both 6/10, worth one watch if you have nothing better to do and it isn't costing you anything.

Ted - It was a little too much like Macfralane's other stuff. I wasn't expecting the really random stuff that was in the style of Family Guy; it made it feel more like a TV epsiode than something original. That doesn't mean I didn't laugh occasionally, but I had higher hopes.

Looper - This one was under my radar until it had come out so I didn't know anything about the plot other than that it involved time travel. I like both JGL and Bruce Willis so I had some decently high hopes, but really other than the one interesting key plot point about being your own hitman the movie just didn't work for me. The whole TK thing seemed mostly pointless, the time travel was really convoluted and ultimately contradicted its own rules, and some of the characters were really quite flat.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#6002 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

The Avengers 7/10

It was decent but not amazing
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#6003 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,760 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

This is absolutely true. Maybe I'm just getting old and have less time for movies that I don't feel were a 'good' waste of my time. I'm hoping that Lincoln makes up for it, as I eagerly await any Daniel Day Lewis film that isn't "Nine." The Hobbit better deliver as well.I have so many movies in my queue on Netflix that I look at and go, "Do I really want to watch this?" So I don't and usually end up watching a rerun of Arrested Development.

You're looking to Spielberg to jump start a bleak period in cinema? Yikes.

Just watching the trailers for Lincoln make me want to laugh to avoid crying. It's the absolute definition of Oscar-baiting, and hearing Daniel Day Lewis speak in his typical scene-chewing tones just makes me want to cringe.

I think Hyde Park on Hudson, Django Unchained, Argo, Hitchcock, Amour, The Sessions, and even Seven Psychopaths look infinitely more interesting than Lincoln. Hell, even the (supposedly) underwhelming The Master has more interesting names attached to it.

But I haven't seen any of these yet, so I can't really say with any authority. I think this year is going to be producing a lot of interesting movies. Whether or not they'll be good is another thing, and it seems like only time + multiple viewings can really determine what is or isn't "great"

Edited by GLASSJAW, 07 November 2012 - 01:37 PM.

Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#6004 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Cheer up, GJ - it can't be worse than War Horse...can it?
Posted Image

#6005 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,514 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Red State - 8/10

My only complaint is I wanted more from it the 3 boys. Not in the good sense where the movie leaves you with the feeling of wanting more but I actually think they should have been more prominent. It seems like there are 10 main characters in the movie.
Other than that I love the story and the execution of the story is great. Stephen Root is fantastic and I always like seeing John Goodman. The only cast member I didn't like was Melissa Leo but she wasn't bad in it...just not right. Probably cast more because of the Oscar buzz around her at the time.

Good movie...highly recommend it. The Phelps er.....Cooper family were great.

Go see Seven Psychopaths.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#6006 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

You're looking to Spielberg to jump start a bleak period in cinema? Yikes.

No, if you had read my post, I said Daniel Day Lewis.

As for Spielberg, I don't blow my load over any of his releases. If a new Spielberg movie comes out, by no means is it on my rader, nor do I care when it is released.

That said, to those wondering about Lincoln and have no interest in Spielberg or DDL, it is currently holding a 91% on RT.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#6007 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

As for Spielberg, I don't blow my load over any of his releases. If a new Spielberg movie comes out, by no means is it on my rader, nor do I care when it is released.

That said, to those wondering about Lincoln and have no interest in Spielberg or DDL, it is currently holding a 91% on RT.

Pretty sure Spielberg directed Lincoln.
Posted Image

#6008 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Pretty sure Spielberg directed Lincoln.

Right, and your point being...

#6009 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Right, and your point being...

I'm hoping that Lincoln makes up for it, as I eagerly await any Daniel Day Lewis film

Posted Image

#6010 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Speaking of Daniel Day Lewis, my wife watched A Room With a View the other night.

I didn't watch the whole thing, so I'm not going to bother rating it (seemed decent though). But I will say, the best part of it was DDL's portrayal of the stuck-up socialite. Despite some other pretty big star power in it, he made the rest of the cast look like amateurs.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6011 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Right, and again, you're point being?Ah screw it, I don't think you will ever read between the lines of anybody's posts. I'll spell it out for you.1. I like Daniel Day Lewis2. I eagerly await any Daniel Day Lewis film.3. Daniel Day Lewis didn't direct Lincoln, he acts in it.4. Steven Spielberg directed Lincoln.5. I don't get excited over Spielberg films.6. But guess what? I do get excited over a Daniel Day Lewis film.7. Daniel Day Lewis is in Lincoln.8. Get it now?

#6012 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Speaking of Daniel Day Lewis, my wife watched A Room With a View the other night.

I didn't watch the whole thing, so I'm not going to bother rating it (seemed decent though). But I will say, the best part of it was DDL's portrayal of the stuck-up socialite. Despite some other pretty big star power in it, he made the rest of the cast look like amateurs.
/>

I usually watch "My Left Foot" about once a year. I always say to myself afterwards, "So this is why people refer acting as 'work'".

#6013 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Right, and again, you're point being?Ah screw it, I don't think you will ever read between the lines of anybody's posts. I'll spell it out for you.1. I like Daniel Day Lewis2. I eagerly await any Daniel Day Lewis film.3. Daniel Day Lewis didn't direct Lincoln, he acts in it.4. Steven Spielberg directed Lincoln.5. I don't get excited over Spielberg films.6. But guess what? I do get excited over a Daniel Day Lewis film.7. Daniel Day Lewis is in Lincoln.8. Get it now?

On the one hand, you're all excited for a Daniel Day Lewis film. But then you say you don't plan to watch any Spielberg movies, even though he directed this one. Seems like a contradiction to me. So... ah, screw it. ;)
Posted Image

#6014 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

On the one hand, you're all excited for a Daniel Day Lewis film. But then you say you don't plan to watch any Spielberg movies, even though he directed this one. Seems like a contradiction to me. So... ah, screw it. ;)

Did I say that I wouldn't watch any Spielberg movie? Don't think I did.

Ah whatever. His last terrific film was Munich, which is going back about 7 years. Did not see War Horse, and I won't.

#6015 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,005 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 8.5/10

307mg00.jpg

#6016 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Excited for Skyfall

#6017 Bossy

Bossy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Prometheus - 8/10

Probably the best looking movie I've ever seen, god damn my eyes were orgasming the entire time.

#6018 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

In theatre Argo 7/10 Solid thriller with some comedy.
On tv Scott Pilgrim vs The World 9/10 Very well done, soooooo funny.

#6019 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Safety Not Guaranteed: 7/10
Posted Image

#6020 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,760 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

right, well, i figured the implication of your post was that you're looking for a good movie, not just a good acting performance

and the movie is spielberg's, so... it makes sense to me to question why someone would turn to spielberg in hopes of a good movie. when the movie in question is his...

nevermind
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#6021 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,917 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

Saw The Man with the Iron First tonight.
It was what I was expecting... 7/10

Look, you know what you're going to get walking in. It was like Kill Bill meets Jet Li's Fearless.
Not a WWE fan, but I really liked David Bautista in this.

#6022 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

Ted: 8/10

A couple of good laughs. Brings up memories.

#6023 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,109 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

Just watched Ted, well an hour of it.

What a piece of garbage this was. It was basically a Family Guy episdoe with swearing. Seth McFarlane thinks he's so edgy with his attempts at crude humour and all his 80s pop culture references, which I'm sure three quarters of his audience don't even get.

I just don't get the love for his crap comedy.

However, if you do like it and it makes you laugh then YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BE HAPPY!!! :D

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#6024 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:30 AM

Skyfall - 9/10

Pretty original Bond film... definitely an unfamiliar plot given the formula.
I enjoyed a lot of the nods to the past given the 50th anniversary of the film franchise. The use of the original Bond theme without remixing was a nice touch. Bardem's villain was also a great Bond villain (a key to any successful Bond film). I took one point off because it dragged a little at times.

Spoiler

I was also pleased that they gave
Spoiler
a great backstory.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#6025 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,299 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Savages. 6/10. Blake Lively is annoying
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#6026 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

i'm really excited for The Great Gatsby next year, that's for sure.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#6027 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,154 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

The Avengers - 7/10. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty typical for a superhero movie. Although it's not like I was expecting any more.

Cloud Atlas - 7.5/10. I really liked this movie. I didn't like how a lot of the beginning is you trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Tom Hanks played amazing in all of his characters. Good movie and stories.

Skyfall - 9/10. I loved it. Lots of action, great Bond action. Javier Bardem was great in his role too.

I saw Cloud Atlas on Friday and Skyfall on Saturday, so it was a little weird seeing the same actor in 2 different movies right after another. Q in Skyfall is one of the important characters in Cloud Atlas. The guy who wrote Cloud Atlas Sextet.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#6028 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Skyfall - 7/10. Overrated. I know I am definitely in the minority, but I miss the less serious Bond films that Connery and Moore were known for. I don't like how completely unrealistic they became (ie: Moonraker), but I miss when Bond was still a playboy and was more tongue and cheek.

#6029 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

I really want to see Cloud Atlas. But it's not out here until February. February! It's ridiculous.

#6030 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

Ted - 5/10

I was barely able to sit through the thing.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.