6280 replies to this topic

#6061 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Man you guys expect too much out of Ted. It's not supposed to be this great script with great writing like you guys expect. It was supposed to be what family guy is, you watch it for it's stupidity and laugh at it. It's like the Expendables 2. Did anyone honestly going into that movie expect to see a great movie? No. Anyone with some sense knew that movie would be a bunch of cheesy lines with things blowing up for two hours, which is exactly what it was.

Swap Byron Leftwich and Tom Brady's situations. Today Brady would be a UFA or on the Roughriders practice roster, Byron Leftwich would have 100 more wins than losses.

:picard:

"Spirituality, faith and democracy are the corner stones of our country. We are all Patriots. And tonight, the Patriots are World Champions." -Robert Kraft

#6062 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Man you guys expect too much out of Ted. It's not supposed to be this great script with great writing like you guys expect. It was supposed to be what family guy is, you watch it for it's stupidity and laugh at it. It's like the Expendables 2. Did anyone honestly going into that movie expect to see a great movie? No. Anyone with some sense knew that movie would be a bunch of cheesy lines with things blowing up for two hours, which is exactly what it was.

At the very least I expect a comedy to be funny. I wasn't laughing.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#6063 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

This weekend I watched 2 movies about old farts with heart trouble:

World's Fastest Indian - 8/10
Anthony Hopkins was great, and the story interesting. Most of the movie was how Bert was such a great guy that everybody warmed up to. Could have easily cut 20 minutes of that, but still was a very good movie.

Get Low - 7/10
I saw a preview that showed this as a comedy, but despite a few of funny lines (mostly from Bill Murray), it turned out to be a pretty serious drama. It's about a recluse that everybody had stories about (most of them tall tales), but nobody really knew. So he decides to throw a "funeral party", and tell his story. The ending was anti-climactic, but the build-up was really well done.
Posted Image

#6064 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

The Amazing Spiderman - 6/10

Decent enough. I like Andrew Garfield and thought he did quite well. I thought Emma Stone was miscast, but I don't know who else they could have got at this point. The development of how he became Spiderman seemed very rushed in comparison to the 2002 version. All in all, it was watchable. Not a must see nor worth owning, but alright. I did like Sally Field, thought she played Aunt May perfectly.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

[http://media3.giphy....Cl8Y/giphy.gif]

#6065 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Ravenous - 7.5/10 Bloody and entertaining. A movie with Robert Carlyle, Guy Pierce and Jeffrey Jones can never go wrong.

Posted Image

#6066 Canuck_83

Canuck_83

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Sinister - 6/10

I keep watching horror movies hoping to find one that would be scary, but am always disappointed. This one was no different. It wasn't as terrible as a lot of the other ones though and I appreciated that they tried to have a story/plot in this one.

Skyfall - 7/10

It was pretty entertaining for what it was.
Spoiler

#6067 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Wreck it Ralph 8/10

#6068 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

Wreck It Ralph: 6.5/10 - I guess it was everything I expected, but I was still sorta bored.

Easy A: 4/10 - Zzzzzzzz.
Posted Image

#6069 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

30 minutes or less: 5/10

Had a couple laughs, but the dialogue for the most part just drags on and leads to nothing. Like when the bad guys were talking about opening a tanning salon in the van even though it had nothing to do with the plot. The movie is short enough , and they still needed to find pointless fillers to try and get a laugh.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#6070 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Wreck it Ralph: 3/10 Zzzzzzzzzz...boring
Cloud Atlas: 6/10, some cool parts but all the stories never really come together.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6071 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

LP
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#6072 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Brave: 6/10
Posted Image

#6073 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

Flight: 7/10

It was.. I don't really know what to say. Skyfall sold out so we watched this.. No idea what the hell is was about or anything. Kinda boring, but interesting nonetheless. Kinda knew what he was gonna do though.

Posted Image

#6074 16nucks

16nucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Skyfall: 8/10. Kind of predictable, but I liked it overall.

16nucks

#6075 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Skyfall 7/10. They knew where Bond was, and would have sent him at least some help. Not getting past that.
MG doesn't admit his mistakes. Be afraid! Be very afraid!!

#6076 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,870 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Gnomeo and Juliet - 5.75
Sucker punch - 3.2
Tower Heist - 6.5
Hop - 5.5

bad movie marathon on the "premium" stations (encore and HBO). it's mainly just background noise while i work.

Up next - Mars needs moms

edit, nevermind, i cant even suffer through the first 5 min, it's TOOOO awful.
I'm gonna try the smurfs instead.

Edited by avelanch, 15 November 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#6077 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

/\
Yeah, I think I rated Tower Heist the same. Decent movie. The ending is pretty dumb though.
Posted Image

#6078 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

^^^^Cannot pull myself to watch any film that Eddie Murphy has been in since 1990.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#6079 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

^^^
I'd like to be able to say that you've been missing out...but other than animated stuff, most of it has been pretty bad. Even the few decent movies haven't been good because of Murphy, but more in spite of him.

The best non-animated movie he's done since '90 is probably Bowfinger. That was pretty good. But even then, can't say I LOVED it.
Posted Image

#6080 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,207 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Total Recall (2012) - 6.5/10

I feel like I should give it a somewhat higher rating because I enjoyed it more than that, but on the whole it was still just an above average action movie.

As a remake, I think it did the job for the most part. It drastically changed story elements of the original, but it didn't change anything thematically. Different situation with the same principles involved. The way they altered, expanded, and removed certain characters and their roles threw me off a bit, but as a way to shake things up a bit and put their own stamp on the movie, I didn't mind.

One thing that was perhaps a bit awkward was when they tried to replicate certain scenes and quirks from the original. Stuff like the rolling of a tear of sadness rather than nervous sweat was a bit clever. But randomly throwing in 3 boob lady, along with the weird fat woman in the yellow coat... callbacks like that were unnecessary. Kind of as if the movie was trying to remind the viewer that this was indeed a Total Recall movie because they had possibly forgotten so.

Considering that I can say I was able to enjoy a remake to an original movie that I liked quite a bit, I can't really complain. But I do doubt that I will be bothering to ever watch this again, whereas I'm certain that I'll be continuing to re-watch the Schwarzenegger multiple times in the future. So there is that.

#6081 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

^^^
The best non-animated movie he's done since '90 is probably Bowfinger. That was pretty good. But even then, can't say I LOVED it.

Bowfinger is the exception. Haven't seen it in about 8 years or so. It was enjoyable enough. Won't go out of my way to see it, but won't avoid it if it's on tv.

#6082 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

Skyfall 8/10 !

#6083 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

2/10 Ruby Sparks

As a literature major, aspiring english teacher, and aspiring writer (still dreaming and not even close to being able to consider myself one, I wouldn't even dare) this movie was a kick smack dab in the face! I tried to look at the movie from a pure acting/directing point of view to see if that was the only thing I found appalling. Although I did find the casting/acting/directing horrendous, what bothered me so much about it was the lack of originality. Maybe I'm being a little harsh, as many will argue about the 'death of the author', however, it was just so predictable and, frankly... *yawn*. Now, I am not claiming that originality is trait I posses, that would be highly pretentious, but I think it is in most writers unconscious to write something with as much original value as possible and this story/movie IMHO missed the mark by a long shot.

P.S
If your GF or wife claims she wants to watch a movie with the words Ruby and Sparks in it, tell her it is not the romantic date film she is hoping for. However, if you think you can handle 90mins of drudgery because what you are hoping for is to get your rocks off, then by all means sweat it out haha.

#6084 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Ravenous - 7.5/10 Bloody and entertaining. A movie with Robert Carlyle, Guy Pierce and Jeffrey Jones can never go wrong.

http://youtu.be/JO98NMMgp0Y

Oh man Ive seen this movie so many times. Love it! The music makes the film for me lol.

"HE WAS LICKING ME!!!!!"

#6085 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,207 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Dark Knight Rises - 8/10

I should preface this by saying I was not a fan of the second movie. It was pretty good, and was certainly fun to watch the first time, but it's heavily overrated, and frankly it's hilarious how constantly it gets trumpeted as the very piece of cinematic perfection. The Dark Knight Rises is also not worthy of the similar treatment the fan boys push for that they feel it deserves. It's equally pretentious, and it also often takes itself way too seriously.

But if I were to step back and look at TDKR as nothing more than a superhero flick, I can say it was quite a good movie, and a lot better than TDK (at least for myself). The trailer made it appear as it was going to be a replica of TDK, but the end product had a lot more in common with Batman Begins, which I liked.

It contained more of a kind of humanistic quality to it that shone through. And it had a heavier and more effective approach to character development in it.

As for the characters, Bane was a pretty crapty villain, and a poor follow up to The Joker (who was brilliant). But Anne Hathway as Catwoman was just awesome (I love that they let her have all her traditional cheesy one-liners), as was Joseph Gordon Levitt. Performances all around were quite good.

I came in with no expectations because of TDK, but I left with a giant grin on my face (probably because the ending was quite awesome).

#6086 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,269 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Star Wars: A New Hope: 10/10, despite being extremely dated and having some questionable acting
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back: 10/10
ParaNorman: 7/10, despite an unimpressive second half

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#6087 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Star Wars: A New Hope: 10/10, despite being extremely dated and having some questionable acting
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back: 10/10
ParaNorman: 7/10, despite an unimpressive second half

haha i remember watching star wars again for the first time when i was older, and being like goddamn, mark hamill is a crapty actor

Posted Image

#6088 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

The Campaign 4/10. Just painful to watch.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#6089 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,207 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

ParaNorman - 7.5/10

It was kind of a cross of Coraline (which I loved) and Monster House (which was alright for the most part). The animation was beautiful, and the set up was great. Most of the jokes were funny, and parts of it were endearing (although it tried too hard in that respect).

The problem really came when they got into the bulk of the movie towards the end, and I think this is another animated movie that would perhaps have benefited from going in a different direction. There was a lot of missed potential. But the end product was still a good enough one.

On a side note, what is it with stop motion animation, and surrealist paranormal stylings. Is there some sort of unwritten rule that they have to go hand in hand? I'm not complaining, because I think the result is usually awesome, but it does leave me thinking. Is it because of The Nightmare Before Christmas, or does it predate that?

#6090 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,207 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Safety Not Guaranteed- 6.5/10

I thought the premise would imply that there'd be humour, but that wasn't the case. Was still alright, but the ending was odd, even for a movie like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.