The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's ever been to Nanaimo?

morello_the_god

Nanaimo is second only to Port Alberni for being a dump/sh*thole.

The RCMP call it Surrey-by-the-Sea and locals call it Viet-Nanaimo after all the Vietnamese gangsters there.

Ever heard of Angle Acres?Do a web search and hold your nose.

Ever heard of the Hells Angel bigwig who went to a meeting with the Vietnamese gangs and was never seen again?

Friends of mine have tried living there-it's awful bad way down below buffalo hell.

I could go on and on and on but suffice it to say now I just drive through don't even stop for a bar.

I've been around much of the southern part of the island. Aside from Qualicum Beach and Victoria I would not want to go to any of the other places. Nanaimo was a dump in my experience, only second to Port Alberni. I was in Nanaimo for two weeks for work, and spent some time at the local club a few times while in Parksville. I do recall there being a lot more chicks than guys at the strip club.

Would go again.

Only if staying out of town.

If anyone ever goes to visit, I suggest to stay at the Moby Dick in Nanaimo (very close to the ferry terminal... in case you want to GTFO ASAP), you'll get a feeling of being in a mental hospital without actually being crazy.

I've never felt that Nanaimo really had any sort of community feel. It is a little to big for that, and yet it is too small to have the allure of big city life. That's just my opinion though. If you want a nice community go to Parksville or the Comox Valley. If you still want some big city feel you may want to stick to Victoria.

I live in Nanaimo and work for the City of Nanaimo

Yes Nanaimo does have it's downside the main one being a small forgotten downtown but that is quickly changing

As far outdoorsy stuff I think Nanaimo is only rivalled by Comox and Squamish. Lots of fantastic hiking like Mount Benson, Ammonite Falls, Cable bey, etc.. In the summer the Nanaimo River is the best place I have ever been swimming in, ton's of fun and a beautiful spot (avoid the crowded areas as they get a bit of litter and watch out for currents). Nanaimo vs. say Vancouver or Victoria is a bit weak on resturants and nightlife but there are some decent places like the Modern Cafe, Fireside Grill, Mrs. Ritchies. The poster who said you need a car is sadly right it is a pretty car oriented city, again that is chaning but slowly. Nanaimo has a great harbour and New Castle and Protection are fantastic places to visit (I use to live on Protection) but teh walkway is pretty small.

Good luck with your move hope that helps

you may also want to check out this website created by my former neighbour.

http://www.nanaimoinformation.com/

The RCMP call it Surrey-by-the-Sea and locals call it Viet-Nanaimo after all the Vietnamese gangsters there.

Ever heard of the Hells Angel bigwig who went to a meeting with the Vietnamese gangs and was never seen again?

Friends of mine have tried living there-it's awful bad way down below buffalo hell.

I could go on and on and on but suffice it to say now I just drive through don't even stop for a bar.

It isn't too far to Mt. Washington ski resort either. That and you can be on Salt Spring Island in just about an hour.

Oh and how could I forget the Longwood Brew Pub. They make their own on site and they have like 8 different brews. I love getting the tasters rack and the fish and chips.

Nanaimo has per capita more shopping area and more restaurants than anywhere in the universe (no source, sorry!). The entire north and middle is very nice, clean, lots of trees, hills, wildlife etc. The south end, `downtown`, is a little sketchy, but has some good bars and clubs, especially the Queens if you like live rock. Nothing like you will find in Vancouver, or even Victoria, but good enough I think. Some homeless, some crack heads, but overall nothing too bad.

Ya I just moved to Vancouver from there. The gang stuff is really bad, no shootings though...But ya Nice place to lie move to NORTH Nanaimo %100 nicer than south

. Just a heads up...if you plan on Having kids or already have kids They will be pot heads if living in Nanaimo

Archived