The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's ever been to Nanaimo?

morello_the_god

I live in nanaimo as well. As long as you stay out of the south end of town it's like every other municipality out there. Downtown is where the party is. The north end is more affluent. My Brothers and my dad all live in Vancouver and would rather live here. No rat race like on the mainland. Access to Van and Vic within an hour and a half. Nanaimo's downtown has all it's clubs with in walking distance. I have lived here 12 years. I don't mind it at all. during the school year the College/university make the clubs good.

I so love uninformed people. My mom and dad were raised there, i was born and raised in Victoria but spent time living in Nanaimo.

Everyone seems to be talking about South Nanaimo when they refer to it as a S***hole. I agree, South Nanaimo makes you feel dirty when you drive through. its an old forgotton town. why might you ask? because the money is in NORTH Nanaimo. North Nanaimo is basically its own city, completly apart and different from the Scumhole that is right off the main highway that most people see (I.E Tourists and partiers) North Nanaimo is home to the 2nd largest mall in BC, as well as countless good places to eat, things to do and lots of outdoor activities as well. it has a huge sportsplex with a very nice pool, 2 skating rinks and a floor hockey rink, squash courts, tennis courts etc etc etc (it even has a stables with riding rings and everything)

The houses are nice, newer, clean. People care about their yards. Very little drugs and the only crime ive witnessed personally in north nanaimo is when my parents left their car unlocked and someone stole all their change from the center console but left the stereo LOL...completly their fault.

as for the gangs...AGAIN the only problem is in SOUTH nanaimo. you wont even see them in north nanaimo. you have to drive so far south to even see a club house that your almost leaving south nanaimo.

Might I add that North Nanaimo and South Nanaimo are as independant of eachother as Richmond and Langley? you can live in one part and never have to even set foot in the other. North Nanaimo has more stuff anyway.

North Nanaimo is also home to some of the most expensive developments in BC. there are entire parts of town where homes dont sell for less than 1 million and many sell for over 5 million.

oh and BTW to get there without seeing the crap if you are coming from Victoria or Duke Point ferry...or even from Duncan. you take the Parksville Exit off the highway. thats right, you drive towards parksville to get there. Drive until you pass Northfield road (overpass and big machinery sales lot) and the exits after that take you right into the shopping areas. I lived right off Northfield. its quiet, peacefull, scenic...

you haven't been back to Nanaimo in awhile I can tell

South Nanaimo is changing and 2 of the largest developments (Cable Bay and Sandstone) to ever to occur in Nanaimo are proposed for the South. The area has alot more charector IMO then North Nanaimo which is just shopping malls and vinyl sided houses (boring!!). The only real problem area in S. Nanaimo is the Nicol St./Haliburton corridor. The Old City has some fantastic charector houses and Chase River has some great rural lots nearby schools, stores and parks.

Unlike Richmond and Langley (ugh horrible place) S. Nanaimo and N. Nanaimo are part of the same city although you are right they both have enough services so that residents don't have to make too many cross town trips.

Where are the 5m homes and stables you are talking about-- do you mean Lantzville which isn't part of Nanaimo.

Why the frack would you want to be on Salt Spring Island? I worked there for just over a year, & it was the worst year of my life. The people that live there are like people from a different universe. To call anyone born/raised on Saltspring a Canadian would be an insult to the rest of us.

If you haven't been to Salt Spring before, do yourself a huge favor NEVER NEVER visit.

I'm just trying to be sure that i get this right. You are saying that Salt Spring Island is a hole? Really? You didn't like the people there? I've found those folks to be great, down to earth people - maybe it was your attitude that soured them on you. And now you live in Winnipeg - that's sure an upgrade!! Not!

you haven't been back to Nanaimo in awhile I can tell

South Nanaimo is changing and 2 of the largest developments (Cable Bay and Sandstone) to ever to occur in Nanaimo are proposed for the South. The area has alot more charector IMO then North Nanaimo which is just shopping malls and vinyl sided houses (boring!!). The only real problem area in S. Nanaimo is the Nicol St./Haliburton corridor. The Old City has some fantastic charector houses and Chase River has some great rural lots nearby schools, stores and parks.

Unlike Richmond and Langley (ugh horrible place) S. Nanaimo and N. Nanaimo are part of the same city although you are right they both have enough services so that residents don't have to make too many cross town trips.

Where are the 5m homes and stables you are talking about-- do you mean Lantzville which isn't part of Nanaimo.

Having lived in Qualicum for years I'd say I'm reasonably familiar with Nanaimo. Basically the downtown core is not very nice and the rest of the city is a sprawling morass of suburbia at it's worst. Unless you really like shopping malls and car dealerships I'd stay well away. The area in general is beautiful though.

I live in nanaimo as well. As long as you stay out of the south end of town it's like every other municipality out there. Downtown is where the party is. The north end is more affluent. My Brothers and my dad all live in Vancouver and would rather live here. No rat race like on the mainland. Access to Van and Vic within an hour and a half. Nanaimo's downtown has all it's clubs with in walking distance. I have lived here 12 years. I don't mind it at all. during the school year the College/university make the clubs good.

The zoned out hippy space children of Salt Spring Island make the people on Commercial drive seem like rednecks in comparison. I guess if you want to own a lavender farm, make soap for a living, smoke enough dope to knock out Cheech Marin and ensure that you have grandchildren before your own children hit 20, then that's the place to be!

Just pray you already live there as your sope making business will never be able to afford the insane real estate prices!

Archived