Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

| ~ . **Official** Diablo III Thread . ~ |

• Please log in to reply
866 replies to this topic

Poll: | ~ . **Official** Diablo III Thread . ~ | (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Which character is your favorite?

1. Barbarian (11 votes [26.19%])

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

2. Witch Doctor (6 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Wizard (8 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

4. Monk (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

5. Demon Hunter (13 votes [30.95%])

Percentage of vote: 30.95%

Which character is your least favorite?

1. Barbarian (9 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. Witch Doctor (15 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

3. Wizard (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

4. Monk (8 votes [19.05%])

5. Demon Hunter (8 votes [19.05%])

What do you enjoy more?

1. Player vs. Monster/Environment (36 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. Player vs. Player (6 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Stay a while, and listen...

Edited by kanucks25, 15 July 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Posted Image

#2 CehNehDeh

CehNehDeh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

Heh, JUST stopped playing Classic Diablo 2 ladder after the 1.10 patch.

Classic was GREAT as skill won over gear. LOD? Yup, all about the gear.

I wish they'd announce a flipping release date although i read on battle.net that they are planning yet another ladder reset soon. (Hopefully the last one)

R.I.P Luc 1987-2008

Sure puts Hockey in Perspective

#3 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

Damn I was hoping they would let us do our own stats. I hope the builds don't just become cookie cutter specs that everyone has to be to succeed like in WoW.

If I want to be a wizard with a ton of strength, then let me be a wizard with a lot of strength!!
Posted Image

#4 Lu0ngo4MVp

Lu0ngo4MVp

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

..Diablo III??? whats that... DIABLO I FTW!!!

Why put my palm on my face, when I can have my palm on yours?

#5 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

Who's going to be the bad guy at the end? Tyrael? Diablo again? Maybe the other Overlords from hell who banished the brothers to begin with?

I think that a prequel game with the Horadrim, when they capture the brothers and imprison them in the soulstones would have been wicked.
Posted Image

#6 HockeyNut30

HockeyNut30

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

Blizzard is saying Starcraft II by Christmas 09' if things go smoothly. So I wouldn't expect to see Diablo III until 2010.

Posted Image

#7 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

I wish they'd announce a flipping release date although i read on battle.net that they are planning yet another ladder reset soon. (Hopefully the last one)

That'd suck, they should turn their whole focus to D3. :P

Damn I was hoping they would let us do our own stats. I hope the builds don't just become cookie cutter specs that everyone has to be to succeed like in WoW.

If I want to be a wizard with a ton of strength, then let me be a wizard with a lot of strength!!

I don't know its going to become a cookie cutter thing like D2 eventually did. One of their main focuses is the vast customization of characters.

..Diablo III??? whats that... DIABLO I FTW!!!

Never got to play, but I wish I did. Whatever, I do know the story a bit.

Who's going to be the bad guy at the end? Tyrael? Diablo again? Maybe the other Overlords from hell who banished the brothers to begin with?

I think that a prequel game with the Horadrim, when they capture the brothers and imprison them in the soulstones would have been wicked.

They are bringing some characters back from Diablo I, I know that for sure. I don't know how successful a game on the back-story would be though, I'm more interested on what is going to happen next.

Blizzard is saying Starcraft II by Christmas 09' if things go smoothly. So I wouldn't expect to see Diablo III until 2010.

I heard Blizzard already said that Diablo will be coming out before Starcraft, even though it was announced a lot later.

Edited by kanucks25, 06 June 2009 - 07:59 PM.

Posted Image

#8 !

!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

I CAN'T WAIT

except too bad i wont have as much time to play as i did when i was in elementary/high school

Posted Image

#9 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

Also, although it is not yet official, it is believed that D3 will be free-to-play (not pay-to-play like WoW) because Blizzard has said that Starcraft and Battle.Net will be free. Therefore, Diablo III should also be free.

Posted Image

#10 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:14 PM

More on the Skill Tree:

In Diablo II you would save all your skills (while putting 1 point into each prerequisite) until you reached the skill you wanted to max... they want to change this whole format.

Like Diablo II, each character class will have 3 skills trees (for example, the Sorc has Fire, Lightning and Cold) and all trees will have tiers (I'm guessing 3-4). To open up the Tier 2 skills, you must spend 5 points in Tier 1, but you can spend them in any tree, and mix-and-match to open up Tier 2 for all three trees. For example (using the Diablo II Sorc again) you can spend 2 skills in Cold Tier 1, 2 skills in Fire Tier 1 and 1 skill in Lightning Tier 1 to open up Tier 2 skills for all three trees (Fire, Lightning, Cold). Also (although this is not finalized yet), it seems that the skill cap will be 5 to begin with. As you "progress" (I guess that means through the storyline, quests or your character's level) it will be increased to 15 which will be the final cap (might be an interval of a 10 skill cap as well)

The three skill trees for the Barbarian will be Berserker, Battlemaster and Juggernaut.

Edited by kanucks25, 06 June 2009 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image

#11 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:38 PM

New skills hotkeys: left click, two right click (swap with mouse scroll or TAB) and four hot-bar skills (default hotkeys are 1/2/3/4). When you press the hot-bar keys, the skill will be cast in whichever direction your cursor is (it won't just switch your mouse hot-keys like in D2).

Posted Image

#12 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

More on the Skill Tree:

In Diablo II you would save all your skills (while putting 1 point into each prerequisite) until you reached the skill you wanted to max... they want to change this whole format.

Like Diablo II, each character class will have 3 skills trees (for example, the Sorc has Fire, Lightning and Cold) and all trees will have tiers (I'm guessing 3-4). To open up the Tier 2 skills, you must spend 5 points in Tier 1, but you can spend them in any tree, and mix-and-match to open up Tier 2 for all three trees. For example (using the Diablo II Sorc again) you can spend 2 skills in Cold Tier 1, 2 skills in Fire Tier 1 and 1 skill in Lightning Tier 1 to open up Tier 2 skills for all three trees (Fire, Lightning, Cold). Also (although this is not finalized yet), it seems that the skill cap will be 5 to begin with. As you "progress" (I guess that means through the storyline, quests or your character's level) it will be increased to 15 which will be the final cap (might be an interval of a 10 skill cap as well)

The three skill trees for the Barbarian will be Berserker, Battlemaster and Juggernaut.

Oh that's pretty cool, that seems promising to give a lot of customization.

Still want to be able to do my own stats though.
Posted Image

#13 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

Oh that's pretty cool, that seems promising to give a lot of customization.

Still want to be able to do my own stats though.

Yeah, I think I like the new system, albeit there's not enough information to have a solid opinion on it.

And I'm not totally sure about the stats thing; I'm guessing there is more to it then stats being added automatically when you level-up as that would, in my opinion, decrease the amount of customization (which is the opposite of their main goal with this game).

Posted Image

#14 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

I thought you were just talking about a rumour, but I guess it's true:

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/

I'm guessing it isn't too difficult to reset ladder because they seem to keep doing it. But why? to keep their loyal D2 fans happy? There is pretty much no money left in D2...

I'm probably going to play when Ladder resets, though. Everything you find sells for a extremely high price (on a forum I go on, for forum money, which I will use for D3) to the people who want the best current gear to be #1 on the ladder. :P

Edited by kanucks25, 06 June 2009 - 11:33 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Gabes24

Gabes24

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:54 AM

Hmm, never finished Diablo II cuz I was too young, hopefully I can get Diablo III before January next year when I have to go to school :P

That Canuck forum isn't even worth the time. It's a huge circle of Kool Aid Drinkers. - STL Board

Posted Image

#16 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hmm, never finished Diablo II cuz I was too young, hopefully I can get Diablo III before January next year when I have to go to school :P

I think one of the worst thing about Diablo II was that it was way too easy to finish the storyline.

Maybe not so easy to solo, but if you had some party members it was not too difficult.

If you used items that you found with other characters as you leveled up, it was easier yet.

And then, what most people did, get a really high level to kill everything for you and get to hell to level fast was extremely easy to do.

I hope this game has better and longer quests and a longer storyline. I want to have fun with the story for years, not just do it once and start fighting against other players.

Edited by kanucks25, 07 June 2009 - 10:08 AM.

Posted Image

#17 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

Time to get a new computer and start looking forward to Starcraft II and Diablo III.

#18 CehNehDeh

CehNehDeh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

Also, although it is not yet official, it is believed that D3 will be free-to-play (not pay-to-play like WoW) because Blizzard has said that Starcraft and Battle.Net will be free. Therefore, Diablo III should also be free.

I also heard it will be free to play. I think they'll make their money in multiple expansions though.

I thought you were just talking about a rumour, but I guess it's true:

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/

I'm guessing it isn't too difficult to reset ladder because they seem to keep doing it. But why? to keep their loyal D2 fans happy? There is pretty much no money left in D2...

I'm probably going to play when Ladder resets, though. Everything you find sells for a extremely high price (on a forum I go on, for forum money, which I will use for D3) to the people who want the best current gear to be #1 on the ladder. :P

JSP huh? ;)

I remember about, oh, 5 years ago I sold a 110-170 BH and 4 sojs for $200 bucks. 2 weeks later paypal "reversed the transaction due to suspicious account activity". Man that peed me off!

R.I.P Luc 1987-2008

Sure puts Hockey in Perspective

#19 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

I also heard it will be free to play. I think they'll make their money in multiple expansions though.

JSP huh? ;)

I remember about, oh, 5 years ago I sold a 110-170 BH and 4 sojs for $200 bucks. 2 weeks later paypal "reversed the transaction due to suspicious account activity". Man that peed me off!

Yep :P.

What's a BH?

And yeah, I've also sold Diablo stuff for money... LOL... never spent a penny on it tho (besides actually buying the game). But I have spent countless man-hours playing the game.

:P

Posted Image

#20 Maritz

Maritz

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

- No more adding stats: stats (updated to Strength, Dexterity, Vitality and Willpower) will be added automatically when you level up (not finalized/clear yet)

Good, stats were annoying

Thanks to marleau_12 for the sig

#21 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

Good, stats were annoying

Almost every character had the same stats anyways: enough STR and Dex to use items and rest in Vit. The only exceptions were Energy Shield Sorc's that needed Energy/Mana over Vitality/Life and some Bow Amazons that needed Dex for damage and attack rating.

There will be 5 character classes in Diablo III, just like there was in Diablo II. When the D2 LoD expansion came out, two more characters were added. Who knows if the same will happen with D3, but there will be 5 to start off for sure.

Edited by kanucks25, 07 June 2009 - 01:49 PM.

Posted Image

#22 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

Some more information:

- Runes will play a different role, although it has not been established as of yet, however we do that they will no longer be "socketed" into items. Runes will have qualities that can be upgraded (like gems in D2... chipped, flawed, perfect, etc.). Some runes may also affect your skills, not items (no more runewords).

- When you die, you don't return to town. In this game there will be checkpoints and you will re-spawn at the last checkpoint you passed.

- No loss of experience for dieing.

- Not as many health potions: health orbs will drop from killed enemies which can be absorbed for health. When you fight a boss, health orbs have a chance of dropping when you hit the boss (because boss fights are going to be longer/better).

- When you level up, something happens where everything around you gets hurt or killed.

- If you kill two enemies really quickly you get more experience than killing one and killing the other one a little later.

- New WD skill: Plague of Toads. Similar to the Sorc's Charged Bolt in D2, the WD will throw toads in a horizontal line or arch (yes... I know).

- New WD skill: Spider Statue. The WD makes a statue of Spiders and then they all crawl over enemies and hurt them (not quite sure if this is correct).

- New Wizard skill: Hydra. Probably exactly like the Hydra from the D2 Sorc, flaming dragon things come out and shoot fire.

- New Wizard skill: Acid Cloud. Not sure how it works. My guess would be a cloud will be shot or spawned on top of enemies and it poisons them.

- New Wizard skill: Meteor Storm. Not sure, but probably exactly like Meteor from the D2 Sorc, meteor shower from the sky.

- New Wizard skill: Duplicate. Definitely have no idea on this one. What can the Wizard "dupe"? enemies? items? other characters? minions? redo last move?

- New Wizard skill: Mirror Image. Again, no idea. Another guess: can copy any skill/move that was done to the Wizard.

Edited by kanucks25, 07 June 2009 - 06:11 PM.

Posted Image

#23 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

Mirror Image, in WoW spawns 3 exact replicas of the caster that the enemy attacks and they do attack. In the wizard preview, there is a brief scene where the wizard uses that spell.

Anyways, this thread has encouraged me to go out and buy the Diablo Battlechest and play the game again.
Posted Image

#24 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

Mirror Image, in WoW spawns 3 exact replicas of the caster that the enemy attacks and they do attack. In the wizard preview, there is a brief scene where the wizard uses that spell.

Anyways, this thread has encouraged me to go out and buy the Diablo Battlechest and play the game again.

That could be Duplicate, too, pretty much like the Amazon's Decoy in D2 (except Decoy can't attack, it's just a dummy that serves as a distraction).

Posted Image

#25 TunaSandwich

TunaSandwich

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

Pffft, screw diablo, CABAL ftw

#26 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

Pffft, screw diablo, CABAL ftw

I don't know what that is... it probably sucks. ;)

Posted Image

#27 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

The four stat categories for D3 will be: Strength, Dexterity, Vitality and Willpower.

Strength is from D2; (as far as I know) it increases the physical damage you do and a certain amount of "STR" is required to wear most items (varies).

Dexterity is also from D2; (as far as I know) it increases attack rating, a certain amount of "DEX" is required to use some weapons (varies) and, if it is like the previous game, it increases chance to block %.

Vitality is also from D2, but it doesn't just deal with life anymore; it also includes mana. The last attribute is Willpower, which will replace Energy (mana) from D2.

Apparently, Willpower will have an affect on your skills (before, only items and the skill points themselves affected skills).

Posted Image

#28 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

As long as you have a working CD key, you can download Diablo 2 now from the Blizzard site. :P

Posted Image

#29 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

As long as you have a working CD key, you can download Diablo 2 now from the Blizzard site. :P

I don't have one, and the battlechest is like $40 so whatever, I can afford $40 and I might even play D1 first.
Posted Image

#30 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:05 PM

I don't have one, and the battlechest is like $40 so whatever, I can afford $40 and I might even play D1 first.

I can give you a cd key... maybe... lol

I have tons from people I knew in-game giving me theirs

:P

only bought the one set

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.