Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

| ~ . **Official** Diablo III Thread . ~ |

• Please log in to reply
866 replies to this topic

Poll: | ~ . **Official** Diablo III Thread . ~ | (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Which character is your favorite?

1. Barbarian (11 votes [26.19%])

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

2. Witch Doctor (6 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Wizard (8 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

4. Monk (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

5. Demon Hunter (13 votes [30.95%])

Percentage of vote: 30.95%

Which character is your least favorite?

1. Barbarian (9 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. Witch Doctor (15 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

3. Wizard (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

4. Monk (8 votes [19.05%])

5. Demon Hunter (8 votes [19.05%])

What do you enjoy more?

1. Player vs. Monster/Environment (36 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. Player vs. Player (6 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#841 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm not paying a company to play test their betas.

#842 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

I've been attempting to play again, but it has been more entertaining browsing Youtube.

#843 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

Hey the patch is out...

Guess I'll give the game another shot (at least until I find my first unique item).

#844 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,539 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

i too am giving diablo 3 another go with this new patch seems interesting if it means less ah shopping then im in because thats what made me leave the game ending up being a gold hunt instead of an item hunt

although i have to wait i reset my phone and forgot to remove the authenticator now im waiting for an email from blizzard to remove it

#845 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I like the new patch - will be giving this another go.

3Goktj2.jpg

#846 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hmmmm..... been reading through the patch notes, and it looks promising.

Paragon sounds absolutely broken as hell though, lol.

RIP LB RR PD

#847 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

I like the new patch - will be giving this another go.

the patch fixes a lot of end game complaints

didn't you give up at like level 35?

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#848 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

the patch fixes a lot of end game complaints

didn't you give up at like level 35?

Give up? No. Get semi-bored, and no drops? Yes.

3Goktj2.jpg

#849 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

new patch expected any day now. and it'll totally change how people approach the game (it'll basically force a variety of builds, rather than every single person just trying to emulate 3 or 4 builds)

dunno if that'll make me play more. i beat inferno a while ago, and haven't really been interested in farming, as most of the drops in act 3, 4 were very poor for me.

however, the new update will change the minimum drop levels on inferno (i.e. no more level 58 drops, thank god), so maybe farming will actually be fun for a few more hours.

212e8lw.jpg

#850 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

new patch expected any day now. and it'll totally change how people approach the game (it'll basically force a variety of builds, rather than every single person just trying to emulate 3 or 4 builds)

dunno if that'll make me play more. i beat inferno a while ago, and haven't really been interested in farming, as most of the drops in act 3, 4 were very poor for me.

however, the new update will change the minimum drop levels on inferno (i.e. no more level 58 drops, thank god), so maybe farming will actually be fun for a few more hours.

I don't even have Diablo 3 installed anymore, haha. After beating Inferno, I promptly uninstalled. I re-installed for the last big patch, and it was more of the same boring crap so I promptly uninstalled again.

I don't expect this patch to change my mind. I don't think I'll re-install.

RIP LB RR PD

#851 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,165 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Haven't played in a few months and don't miss it.
Still sore about everything.

#852 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

A

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#853 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

It sounds to me the game is still in beta. It may work 10 years ago, but I don't think people today have any patience to deal with this kind of "work-in-progress" gameplay.

#854 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

It sounds to me the game is still in beta. It may work 10 years ago, but I don't think people today have any patience to deal with this kind of "work-in-progress" gameplay.

You read updates as "OOPS, WE MADE A MISTAKE!"
Others read updates as, "here, you already beat the first 40 hours of gameplay? Here's 20 more."

You read the updates as desperate attempts to correct initial mistakes (even though there's virtually no indication these were mistakes in the first place other than a few D2 players filing complaints about X, Y, Z), I read them as a conversation between developer and fanbase. Yes, some things are being "fixed," but so much of the additions are great, and totally change how the game is played for those who play it, not necessarily because the original design was wrong, but simply to elaborate on it.

No, that doesn't mean it'll bring back people who already played it and hated it, but for those who _do_ play it, the releases, I think, are interesting and fun.

I think 'game changing' updates are absolutely vital to a game that aims for longevity. Think of Team Fortress 2, think of World of Warcraft, Starcraft, etc. are regularly updated or expanded upon.

Other games, like Borderlands, Torchlight, Call of Duty, etc. are released, and updated a couple of times, and more or less forgotten about. Or, worse, make you PAY for the changes.

I don't even really play Diablo anymore, but I'm more than happy with the loads and loads of hours I pumped into it, and I'll definitely mess around with the 1.0.5 update, too. But I don't have the type of personality to commit all my 'gaming time' to a linear, non-competitive game that offers virtually no incentive to repeatedly play. This isn't a problem limited to Diablo 3, it's a problem limited to ALL linear, single player (or co-op) games that offer literally nothing in terms of competition, laddering, or any of that. For me, I think the attention span and competitive nature of most gamers requires these features in 2012.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 13 October 2012 - 01:27 PM.

212e8lw.jpg

#855 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

You read updates as "OOPS, WE MADE A MISTAKE!"
Others read updates as, "here, you already beat the first 40 hours of gameplay? Here's 20 more."

You read the updates as desperate attempts to correct initial mistakes (even though there's virtually no indication these were mistakes in the first place other than a few D2 players filing complaints about X, Y, Z), I read them as a conversation between developer and fanbase. Yes, some things are being "fixed," but so much of the additions are great, and totally change how the game is played for those who play it, not necessarily because the original design was wrong, but simply to elaborate on it.

No, that doesn't mean it'll bring back people who already played it and hated it, but for those who _do_ play it, the releases, I think, are interesting and fun.

I think 'game changing' updates are absolutely vital to a game that aims for longevity. Think of Team Fortress 2, think of World of Warcraft, Starcraft, etc. are regularly updated or expanded upon.

Other games, like Borderlands, Torchlight, Call of Duty, etc. are released, and updated a couple of times, and more or less forgotten about. Or, worse, make you PAY for the changes.

I don't even really play Diablo anymore, but I'm more than happy with the loads and loads of hours I pumped into it, and I'll definitely mess around with the 1.0.5 update, too. But I don't have the type of personality to commit all my 'gaming time' to a linear, non-competitive game that offers virtually no incentive to repeatedly play. This isn't a problem limited to Diablo 3, it's a problem limited to ALL linear, single player (or co-op) games that offer literally nothing in terms of competition, laddering, or any of that. For me, I think the attention span and competitive nature of most gamers requires these features in 2012.

First of all, I appreciate and respect your response. But I think this is really a matter of taste. To quote myself from a few pages back:

I agree with you that the game is not awful by any stretch and is in itself a great title by ordinary standards. But the matter of fact is Diablo III is not just another "great" title that is expected to disappear after 3 months of release, it is a BLIZZARD game.

The difference between you and I (along with those who have quit) is a difference in our expectations and playing styles. Diablo II drew us back time and time again because the core gameplay mechanics were fun and addictive and we waited 10 years to expect nothing less from D3. While you have just beaten Inferno not long ago, many of us have already started or finished Inferno weeks after the release (before we got frustrated or bored). I myself have already spent 150+ hours on this game in the first two months when you barely finished Normal. The fact that you no longer play the game after beating Inferno is a telling indication that the game has lost the charm that D2 once held. So you see, our disagreements are the result of our diverging expectations and playing styles. But to suggest that these patches add more "fun" to the game and improve its longevity is just absurd, no offense.

There are three things that patches generally do: They 1) add more contents, 2) improve game balance, or 3) fix bugs and technical issues. It seems to me that the patches released thus far are doing only 2) and 3). Constantly making major adjustments to the game mechanics isn't exactly my idea of adding more fun to the game, it's fixing gameplay problems inherent from the original game design. Since D3 is a game that focuses on linear PvE experience, so to speak, the core game mechanics are critical in keeping the players in the game. To put it simply, the game has to be fun for us to keep playing. TF2 and StarCraft 2 are primarily competitive PvP games that evolve as the players mature and grow experienced, so making patches to balance the game is quite reasonable. By the same token, the patches for WoW are within reason as well given the scale of the game and its non-linear, open world game mechanics and not to mention they add genuinely new contents on a regular basis. Would you argue tweaking some numbers in the game code adds more "fun" to the game?

What went wrong with Diablo 3 is not that the initial experience is horrible but that it has absolutely no lasting appeal. One of the major reasons, in my opinion, is the fact that the current Diablo team decided to make the game around the cash-milking auction house rather than to design the game around what makes a game fun. They have abandoned the players and their spirit as game developers. They have thus lost my respect for them.

Here are the changes they made to D3 from D2 in the pretext of making the game more "fun" and "streamlined":
  • They took away the ability to assign attribute points to force you to rely on the stats of your gear (as your final attribute stats are laughablely worthless in later stages of the game).
  • They removed the skill levels so you have to once again rely on the only stats that matter.
  • They dramatically reduced the drop rates of high-end items to drive the prices up in the auction house (150 hrs of gameplay and not a single Legendary or Set was given).
  • They added the unrealistically hard Inferno difficulty to make you want better gear instead of play smarter.
  • They nerfed your hirelings and summons to make you depend more on you know what.
  • They made you pay a hefty amount of gold for almost everything to drive up the gold price in the auction house.
  • They took away your character's ability to craft gems and gear so they could bill you on everything.
  • They deliberately underpowered the legendary and set items to leave more room for "improvements" (read: to resupply the AH market with "new and "better" items once it's saturated with pre-patched, underpowered gear, milking more money from you in the process).
There are a ton of such examples that make me feel sick about the changes they made in a scheme to force you use their auction simulator, but I'll spare you the details.

While I'm glad that you enjoyed the game, I hope that you understand my position on the game and that my gaming history (with the Diablo franchise) is an intrinsic part of my ongoing experience with Diablo III. The fact that I complain at all is evident that I actually do care about the game and the franchise.

#856 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

Anybody still playing this lol?

I've quit 3 times already since release but I'm trying it for a 4th time. It does seem a little more fun but we'll see. Trying a Barb now 'cause I've tried all the others.

I really hate how all characters play like tanks. I wish they'd make the WD and Wiz casters. Also they really need to work on item customization; every character can make a good build using the Skorn.

Posted Image

#857 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,539 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

ya i have quit a couple of times too just doesn't hold my interest i stopped at act 2 inferno

#858 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Boooourns. This game has been disappointing from the very get go

#859 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Eh

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#860 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

Boooourns. This game has been disappointing from the very get go

Eh

Pretty much this.

e/ bumping 'cause new thread made :(

Edited by kanucks25, 14 August 2013 - 04:00 AM.

Posted Image

#861 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Expansion with an improved auction house?

http://us.battle.net...eaper-of-souls/

Posted Image

#862 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Expansion with an improved auction house?

http://us.battle.net...eaper-of-souls/

Posted Image

Earlier I thought I would buy the expansion no matter what even if the original sucked like it does. Now I'm not sure.

I know D2 blew up (in a good way) after expansion, but don't know if they'll be able to strike gold twice. I'll have to see a list of improvements before I make my decision :P

Posted Image

#863 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

I would honestly rather buy another 10 copies of D2.

#864 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,165 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Just got an email saying that they are killing the auction house.
Didn't work.

#865 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Just got an email saying that they are killing the auction house.
Didn't work.

Fans cry about how D3 has a built in auction house, say BUT D2 DIDN'T HAVE AN AUCTION HOUSE, BLIZZARD IS JUST TRYING TO MAKE MONEY!!!

(instead, D2 had private, third party auction houses -- which will now replace the official one)

Fans cry about how D3 lacks customization, attribute selection, etc. Blizzard announces the game will change with and around the expansion, where customization will now be a much bigger aspect of the game

Fans still cry, acting as if Blizzard personally offended them by not having those things in the game at release. NO!! IT'S TOO LATE!!! THE DAMAGE HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE!

PLEASE.

ADMIT IT, EVERYONE

dungeon crawlers just aren't fun in 2013

the game was broken, but even now that Blizzard has addressed most of the major concerns and issues, the game is STILL going to be a shade of D2. Why? Not because of the game mechanics, but because DUNGEON CRAWLERS ARE A THING OF THE PAST

212e8lw.jpg

#866 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,539 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

i disagree dungeon crawlers are still fun to play just look at torchlight 1 and 2 also i recently installed marvel heroes played it for a couple of hours looks great so far and its f2p you can find everything in the game or buy it

these changes are great news i may even go back to this and play it see how it is not too sure if i will buy the expansion im considering it but i will hold off on some reviews

#867 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

i disagree dungeon crawlers are still fun to play just look at torchlight 1 and 2

Thank you for proving my point, sort of.

Torchlight 2, created by the mythical outcasts from Diablo 2 team, is a game that was heavily customizable, encouraged all sorts of creativity, and it had everything that D3 was supposedly missing, and how did people react?

It received strong reviews, D3 detractors praised it, and to date has sold two million copies (partially due to Steam sales, but still)

but there's one problem...

NOBODY PLAYS IT.

Everyone owns it, but nobody plays it. The games PEAK player count is about 2,000 a day, but its average is probably much lower. The game sold a bunch, and a bunch of people played it for 30 minutes, two hours, ten hours... and they haven't touched it since, let alone been 'committed' to it, or view it as having that mythical endless re-playability of the original Diablo games.

MMOs have killed dungeon crawlers, IMO. They will still hold a place, I'm sure, but that place will always be just a shade of what they were in the mid-late 90s before EverQuest and WoW

Edited by GLASSJAW, 18 September 2013 - 03:20 PM.

212e8lw.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.