The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

I think I posted this last year in a thread about Patrick White.

1 - Trying out for the Canucks means he has to pay for housing wherever the Canucks are having training camp. He also has to pay out of his own pocket to get there, as well as food, equipment sharpening etc. The same applies to any player who is on a NCAA roster, or is going to join a NCAA team.

2 - Travel expenses if he get dressed for an pre-season exhibition match not in GM Place.

3 - U of Minny will have started school by then, and will be around midterms, and I think their hockey season will have started as well.

It should also be noted Patrick White drove himself to rookie camp last season, so at least now they could car-pool.

Zach Boychuk vs Jordan Schroeder. This will be interesting. I feel Carolina Hurricanes is the perfect fit for someone like him, but Vancouver taking Jordan Schroeder will be interesting to see. He gives a component of something we never really had--speed and skill. Sure, Sedins got the skill, but never good on break-aways. Kesler has speed, but average skill. So we'll see. Hodgson and Grabner and Schroeder will be very interesting to watch.

Zach Boychuk vs Jordan Schroeder. This will be interesting. I feel Carolina Hurricanes is the perfect fit for someone like him, but Vancouver taking Jordan Schroeder will be interesting to see. He gives a component of something we never really had--speed and skill. Sure, Sedins got the skill, but never good on break-aways. Kesler has speed, but average skill. So we'll see. Hodgson and Grabner and Schroeder will be very interesting to watch.

we had players with great speed + skill before :D a few years ago it was Naslund, and before him was Bure.

it's good to see we finally have a prospect like that again tho

we had players with great speed + skill before :D a few years ago it was Naslund, and before him was Bure.

it's good to see we finally have a prospect like that again tho

I don't know if I'd put Naslund in the same sentence as Bure when it comes to speed. Bure was a class of his own.

I don't know if I'd put Naslund in the same sentence as Bure when it comes to speed. Bure was a class of his own.

well Naslund wasn't as fast as Bure.. I mean.. how many NHL players in teh last 20 years who can skate as fast as him while being able to maintain a good puck control?

but Naslund was one of the fastest in the league in his time. It's just that, like you said, Bure was a class of his own.

loving the pick of schroeder, why he was there at 22 i don't know. shocked the hell out of me that he was there. nice to have a gm who is smart enough to take the bpa. loved gillis interview "we had him as a top 10 player in the draft and when he was there it was a no brainer for us to take him"

anyone think he can play next year? i'm a bit unsure he may need 1 more year but he will play a lot sooner then most of the 1st rd

imo gillis is loving the drafting business, he look happier then last year when he stole hodgson

Consensus seems to be that Schroeder slipped in the draft due to "poor interviews" with other teams. I wonder how that is compatible with Gillis' strategy of "intelligence, integrity, and character"?

Well I dont think Gillis would have taken him if the character issue actually had a leg to stand on. Gillis and the Canucks obviously interviewed him, didnt see anything but a talented, confident hockey player who should have gone a lot higher.

IM glad they took him....everyone who wanted Moore just wanted to fill a organizational hole, because Schroeder is better now, and if potential is through the roof.....JOhn Moore has a long way to go before playing in the NHL.

Gillis said they had the oppurtunity to trade down, so obviously someone wanted Schroeder, I really wonder what the package would have been to trade down?

Well I dont think Gillis would have taken him if the character issue actually had a leg to stand on. Gillis and the Canucks obviously interviewed him, didnt see anything but a talented, confident hockey player who should have gone a lot higher.

IM glad they took him....everyone who wanted Moore just wanted to fill a organizational hole, because Schroeder is better now, and if potential is through the roof.....JOhn Moore has a long way to go before playing in the NHL.

Gillis said they had the oppurtunity to trade down, so obviously someone wanted Schroeder, I really wonder what the package would have been to trade down?

I just find it interesting that other teams perceived some sort of character issue with Schroeder. Whether they were just scared off by his size and were looking for any other issue they could find to downgrade him could be a possibility. I trust the Canucks evaluation of "intangibles" as they have made it a scouting priority.

I think this was an outstanding pick for the Canucks and thought they might trade up to get him as he fit what was the biggest void in the organization - talented offensive players. While there is a lack of offensive d-men in the system, at the NHL level the Canucks have good defensive depth.

The bigger hole in the organization was players with top 6 forward potential. Once you get past Hodgson and Grabner, there was basically no one. Schroeder and Rodin go a long way in filling that void.

There's a Gophers game on the Big Ten Network right now if anyone want to see him play. He's looking really good the few minutes I've been watching.

That's for that note dude. I just ran to the tv and starting recording it.

Looks like I missed the first period, but I can't wait to watch Schroeder and White.

We now have the best young american (behind Vanriemsdyk, Shattenkirk perhaps, and Wilson) in college, can't wait to see him play for us someday. So many teams will have this come back to haunt them, character problems or not. ahhhaah you know what probably did him in? picking Sean Avery to go to dinner instead of Barrack Obama and Maria Sharpova.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived