The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Asked who was going to be on his line at UMinn next season, he said that he had already told the coach who he'd play with.

The Minnesota coach asks all his players during the off-season what players they'd most like to play with.

He was critical of team-mates and coaches and blamed the U.S.'s failure to win at the under-20s on everyone else except himself.

Team USA was a mess last year. They were the the favourite on paper but their coach blew up against Canada - when his only goal should have been preventing his players from blowing up - and should-be-dominant guys like Van Riemsdyck just didn't look that into the games. I can see why Schroeder would say what he "said".

He should stay in College hockey, and no the age is 20, unless the rules doesn't apply to college players

it only applies to players who played in major junior in their draft year. so, in theory, if Jordan Schroeder signed a contract with the canucks, we COULD see him play in the AHL next season. The safe money says he plays another season in the NCAA tho.

loving the pick of schroeder, why he was there at 22 i don't know. shocked the hell out of me that he was there. nice to have a gm who is smart enough to take the bpa. loved gillis interview "we had him as a top 10 player in the draft and when he was there it was a no brainer for us to take him"

anyone think he can play next year? i'm a bit unsure he may need 1 more year but he will play a lot sooner then most of the 1st rd

imo gillis is loving the drafting business, he look happier then last year when he stole hodgson

Well Hodgson was ranked around that 7-10th spot, but Schroeder was top 10-15 in most lists. Got him at 22. That's a 7-12 drop.

Nonis passed on BPA Perron and Moller. Look how they turned out, one of the top prospects in the game. (Perron being an impact player already)

In the 07 draft, if we BPA'd the top two rounds we'd have Perron AND Moller. Unfortunately Nonis did not know how to BPA and we ended up with White and Ellington.

Well Hodgson was ranked around that 7-10th spot, but Schroeder was top 10-15 in most lists. Got him at 22. That's a 7-12 drop.

Nonis passed on BPA Perron and Moller. Look how they turned out, one of the top prospects in the game. (Perron being an impact player already)

In the 07 draft, if we BPA'd the top two rounds we'd have Perron AND Moller. Unfortunately Nonis did not know how to BPA and we ended up with White and Ellington.

The 2007 draft was terrible. I would say there is about a 50% chance of any of our draft picks playing more than a dozen games in the NHL. White has been terrible thus far, Kablukov probably won't leave russia especially since he wouldn't be anywhere near a lock to crack the NHL, Messier is a small, weak forward who has only scored 14 goals in the last 76 games in the QMJHL (scored 27 in 69 before being drafted), Matson has suffered injury problems (1 point in 13 games before injury) and Gendur scored 9 goals in the ECHL last season.

The only player that looks to have some promise is Ellington. I think he could make it as a bottom pairing dman similar to a Murray Baron or Vitali Vishnevski.

Let's compare this with Gillis 2008 picks

1. Hodgson - Named OHL top player. He is a top 10 prospect league wide.

2. Sauve - Big defenseman with great potential. Heard great news about his defensive play. His offensive improved from 21 points in 69 games to 30 points in 61 games. 2 less points in 5 less games than his team's highest scoring defenseman.

3. Prabh Rai - Scored 5 more goals in 11 less games compared to his draft year

4. Froshaug - Has struggled. Long-term project type pick but probably a bust.

5. Morgan Clark - Bad pick

I have a feeling the 2009 picks will turn out a lot better than 2008, but we will have to wait and see.

Not only that but Gillis has picked up some decent prospects in Tochkin (expected to go 4th round), Walsky (probably would have been a 4th round pick but bloomed late) and Oberg (would have gone 2nd or 3rd round).

it only applies to players who played in major junior in their draft year. so, in theory, if Jordan Schroeder signed a contract with the canucks, we COULD see him play in the AHL next season. The safe money says he plays another season in the NCAA tho.

Hey, could you post that rule in this thread, or a link to it. I thought that even if a player was drafted into the CHL, and his rights were owned by a CHL team, then he couldn't play in the AHL til he was 20? It seems like noone is sure about this rule, so having it posted would be great.

Thanks for your time. :unsure:

Hey, could you post that rule in this thread, or a link to it. I thought that even if a player was drafted into the CHL, and his rights were owned by a CHL team, then he couldn't play in the AHL til he was 20? It seems like noone is sure about this rule, so having it posted would be great.

Schroeder wasn't drafted by a CHL team was he?

The 2007 draft was terrible. I would say there is about a 50% chance of any of our draft picks playing more than a dozen games in the NHL. White has been terrible thus far, Kablukov probably won't leave russia especially since he wouldn't be anywhere near a lock to crack the NHL, Messier is a small, weak forward who has only scored 14 goals in the last 76 games in the QMJHL (scored 27 in 69 before being drafted), Matson has suffered injury problems (1 point in 13 games before injury) and Gendur scored 9 goals in the ECHL last season.

The only player that looks to have some promise is Ellington. I think he could make it as a bottom pairing dman similar to a Murray Baron or Vitali Vishnevski.

Let's compare this with Gillis 2008 picks

1. Hodgson - Named OHL top player. He is a top 10 prospect league wide.

2. Sauve - Big defenseman with great potential. Heard great news about his defensive play. His offensive improved from 21 points in 69 games to 30 points in 61 games. 2 less points in 5 less games than his team's highest scoring defenseman.

3. Prabh Rai - Scored 5 more goals in 11 less games compared to his draft year

4. Froshaug - Has struggled. Long-term project type pick but probably a bust.

5. Morgan Clark - Bad pick

I have a feeling the 2009 picks will turn out a lot better than 2008, but we will have to wait and see.

Not only that but Gillis has picked up some decent prospects in Tochkin (expected to go 4th round), Walsky (probably would have been a 4th round pick but bloomed late) and Oberg (would have gone 2nd or 3rd round).

2007 was a terrible draft, but if Nonis BPA'd for the first two rounds, we'd be talking about one of the best offensive prospect pool that the Canucks had in years.

Moller, Perron, Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin, Grabner etc.

Yet Nonis insisted on White and Ellington, but Perron was ranked higher than White, and Moller higher than Ellington.

I dont have a link to that rule, I just remember it from somewhere.

Remember, reader beware.

How is Schroeder defensively? I've seen a few clips of his offensive ability at the WJC.

We've had good luck getting decent two-way forwards over the years: H.Sedin, Kesler, Hodgson, White

He is a good two-way player according to the scouts. Nothing wrong with that :)

Archived