The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

People want him up for the playoffs, not these meaningless regular season games.

i havent seen anyone ask for him to be up for the playoffs. Most of us want to see him get a taste in the last 6games so that going into the offseason he can see what it takes and put the hunger in his belly for training camp.

Sorry, ma'am. You can have your thread back. I was under the assumption that one could talk about Jordan Schroeder in the "Jordan Schroeder Talk" thread.

Um... we were doing exactly that, till you came in and started generalizing about fans who aren't even participating in this thread to begin with... so yeah...

Jordan Schroeder is expected to fill the vacancy left by Cody Hodgson.

When the Canucks brought in Samuel Pahlsson and moved Cody Hodgson at the NHL trade deadline, it signalled they were morphing into a more defence-oriented and presumably playoff-ready team.

It also showed they have substantial confidence that minor-league prospect Jordan Schroeder could, sooner than later, fill the hole in the depth chart at offensive centre that Hodgson's departure created.

“He's taken big strides this year,” said Canucks assistant GM Lorne Henning before Schroeder and the Chicago Wolves defeated the Abbotsford Heat 5-4 in a shootout in the first of a two-game set Thursday at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. Schroeder scored two goals and was named the game’s first star.

“Since he started killing penalties in November his all-around game has really improved. He's always been able to work the offence, but now he's concentrating on defence. I've seen him play 12 or 14 times and he's played well every time. He's high on our depth chart.”

If it means more opportunity, Schroeder is up for it, but makes it clear he's never happy to see another player traded.

“Cody is a great player and he's a good friend of mine, so it's not like I was glad to see him go,” said Schroeder. “He's going to be a great player for Buffalo for a long time. Maybe it does open a door and shows they have more confidence in me in that role.”

How it all works out will be up to Schroeder, but he continues to shine in his second year as a pro in the AHL.

Heading into Thursday's game in Abbotsford with the Canucks' farm club, Schroeder is coming off a two-assist game in a 4-1 win over Houston. The 5-foot-8, 175-pounder has 17 goals and 38 points in 67 games for the Wolves. It's not a huge jump in numbers from last season (10-18-28 in 61 games), Schroeder has put up 31 points (14-17) in his last 44 games since mid-December.

“I definitely think I've made a lot of progress from last year,” said Schroeder, who the Canucks selected 22nd overall in the 2009 NHL entry draft.

“Consistency is a big part of what it takes to be a professional. It's hard every single game. Sometimes your body isn't feeling 100 per cent. But it's something I've really tried to be better at.”

Schroeder is currently centring a line with wingers Bill Sweatt and Mike Davies – who've both played with him often this season.

Henning said both forwards Steve Reinprecht and Byron Bitz – players the Canucks are expected to recall during the playoffs – are both back playing after being hit with the flu for three weeks. He said Bitz has had no injury issues after undergoing four surgeries in a 12-month span that kept him out until Christmas.

“Byron's been unbelievable and they both are feeling better from the flu,” said Henning. “They're back now and both big contributors.”

The Wolves, winners of four of their last five, are in Abbotsford to kick off a seven-game road trip against the Heat, as the AHL regular season winds down. The Wolves play the Heat again Friday (7 p.m., 107.1 FM) Heading into Thursday's games, Chicago was third in the Western Conference with 79 points, two ahead of the Heat – the Calgary Flames' AHL affiliate – with a game in hand.

jjamieson@theprovince.com

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canucks+line+Jordan+Schroeder+fill+left+Hodgson/6382358/story.html#ixzz1qa6T4EIP

Heck, if Buffalo has had this much success with the 5'9" 157lbs Tyler Ennis centering two big 6'3" 210lbers like Marcus Foligno & Drew Stafford surely we could do something similar with Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian...

Gillis was indeed in attendance:

METRO VANCOUVER - Canucks general manager Mike Gillis was in attendance Thursday in Abbotsford, and his 2009 first-round draft pick Jordan Schroeder didn’t disappoint.

Schroeder, the diminutive speedster, scored twice in regulation for the Chicago Wolves — actually twice within 25 seconds in the middle period — and had a chance to defeat the Heat in overtime had a centring pass not been deflected at the last second.

He was then robbed in the shootout by Leland Irving, thanks to a desperation kick save from the Abbotsford goalie. Canucks prospect against Calgary Flames prospect, and it was a battle Irving won, but only just.

Nonetheless, Schroeder was Chicago’s offensive catalyst as the Canucks’ farm hands twice battled back in a 5-4 shootout victory over the hometown Heat before a divided crowd of 4,088 inside the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre.

Scoring the lone goal in the shootout, Mark Mancari got credit for the winner, and Eddie Lack, who was less than impressive in the first 40 minutes of play, stopped all five Heat attempts for his 19th win of the season.

Schroeder ignited the Wolves with a pair of tallies to give them a brief lead in the second period.

He inadvertently redirected a Brad Hunt point shot home then, just seconds later, took a Michael Davis centring pass, out-waited the Heat goalie and slid the puck calmly through the wickets of Irving for his 19th of the season.

“Any time you score and help your team win, it’s definitely a big boost,” said Schroeder, who now has 40 points in 68 games this season.

“Sometimes you get lucky bounces if you go to the net and I was fortunate enough to get one off the league and that kind of got me going. Same shift, my linemates made a great play and I just put in the back of the net.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+drops+Wolves+Abbotsford/6382524/story.html#ixzz1qaEAl100

4 pts 9 games in October

3 pts 9 games in November

9 pts 14 games in December

10 pts 12 games in January

7 pts 12 games in February

7 pts 13 games in March

Other than a 4 game pointless drought in March he has been pretty consistent since December. I'm stoked for Schroeder next year. I think he can not only fill the void left by Hodgson but can also rival his production in Buffalo. I love his combination of skating, shooting, and passing where I thought Hodgson lacked explosive skating to dominate the defense.

If Nucks re-sign Pahlsson (which I hope they do) then there's no room for Schroeder in the near future. And Schroeder didn't seem to fare well on the wing. So I expect him to be traded in the summer. Maybe part of a package for a top 4 D (assuming Salo retires) or a move up the draft.

If Nucks re-sign Pahlsson (which I hope they do) then there's no room for Schroeder in the near future.  And Schroeder didn't seem to fare well on the wing.  So I expect him to be traded in the summer.  Maybe part of a package for a top 4 D (assuming Salo retires) or a move up the draft.

Absolutely not!

After the Hodgson trade, Jordan Schroeder is the only center in the entire organization under the age of 27 who is a surefire lock to be an NHL-er. And he's also probably the only one with top-6 potential. If one of Freisen, Labate, or Rai manages to get more than a cup of coffee in the bigs, that will be an organizational success.

After letting Hodgson go, there's no chance that Gillis will trade Schroeder.

If Nucks re-sign Pahlsson (which I hope they do) then there's no room for Schroeder in the near future. And Schroeder didn't seem to fare well on the wing. So I expect him to be traded in the summer. Maybe part of a package for a top 4 D (assuming Salo retires) or a move up the draft.

Part of the reason the Canucks let Hodgson go was because in the few games he did play on Kesler's wing, it was clear there was no chemistry there and it was also clear that CoHo and his foot speed had a problem keeping up with Kesler's rockets (a problem Schroeder will never have).

Revisit your theory once Schroeder gets at least the same chance Hodgson got as there has been nothing but positive vibes coming from Schroeder's camp (contrast that with all the smoke that billowed out of Hodgson's corner).

Archived