The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

To get back on topic, I didn't have a chance to watch Schroeder play a lot but it seems like he's made a lot of improvements this season. 21 goals and 44 points isn't too bad for a kid that's been pushed to focus on his defensive game quite a bit. I also think the most notable improvements came in his +/- (from -7 up to +8) and shot total (up nearly 100 shots to 183 on the season).

Now that Cody has been traded, Schroeder has a golden opportunity in front of him. He is now the team's best forward prospect and he WILL get his chances to make the NHL roster. I hope he realizes that he's now a big part of the team's future and works hard to make an impact. Heaven knows we need a fresh dose of skill and new blood.

AV's gonnna get mad, his precious Mason Raymond hates competition

Schroeder's season is over as the Chicago Wolves lost to the San Antonio Rampage 3-2 in double OT in the deciding Game 5 of their first round series. He finished with 1 goal, 1 assists, 2 points in 5 games and was +1.

If anyone watched the highlights of those games his number dont do him justice, he was dynamite the whole series. Especially the last game. Hit a post and had a couple great chances. Just needed to bury them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dasein

Ryan Kesler out 6 months after shoulder surgery. That means an early November return.

Funny enough, just like Hodgson did last summer, Jordan gets his chance due to another Ryan Kesler surgery.

I have high hopes for Schroeder, although he, unlike Hodgson, has not yet had any NHL experience going into next training camp. Hopefully he can take this as motivation and work his ass off this summer and claim that 2nd line center spot out of training camp.

Guest Dasein

Jensen - Schroeder - Kassian

Would really like to see that line in the pre-season.

Schroeder dominated at WJC with similarly sized Colin Wilson and JVR.

Wouldn't hurt in pre-season. But that line would not stick in the regular season as all three have yet to play a full season in the NHL.

Good article about him ( http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Jordan+Schroeder+ready+seize+opportunity+with+Canucks/6594956/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter ) :

No one has to draw a flow chart for Jordan Schroeder to show him how his stock has risen in the Canucks organization the last few months.

Yes, he’s coming off a very solid season with the AHL Chicago Wolves, but the trade of third-line centre Cody Hodgson at the deadline in late February, along with this week’s news that second-line pivot Ryan Kesler will be out until at least November after shoulder surgery, have Schroeder rocketing up the depth chart.

Sure, a lot can happen between now and training camp, but Schroeder — a small (5-foot-8) but NHL-quick centre the Canucks took 22nd overall in the 2009 NHL entry draft — is determined to make sure he takes full advantage of his opportunity.

“I do [see the opportunity], but I’m not going to look at it as Kesler’s injury was the only way that I made the team,” said Schroeder, 21, from his family’s cabin on Lake Vermilion in northern Minnesota, where he’s planning a weekend of fishing.

“But it does help. My goal, just like anyone else, is to come out and compete for a job. Maybe things like this trickle down and some guys get opportunities that they might not have got before. It’s not good news for him, he’s an awesome player and I’m sure they’ll miss him while he’s out.”

Schroeder had a tough first pro season in Manitoba under head coach Claude Noel, but broadened his game and his stats this year in Chicago. He played both special teams and finished with 21 goals and 44 points in 76 games under coach Craig MacTavish.

Although he freely admits the shift from U.S. college hockey two seasons ago was a shock, he feels he’s ready to challenge for an NHL job this fall.

“I’m going to be totally honest,” he said. “These past two years I needed it, the development. Looking back, I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have learned in college if I’d stayed. I’ve learned so many parts of the game that it takes to get to the next level. I’ve still got a long ways to go but I’ve learned a lot.”

Schroeder admits he had to learn some hard lessons from Noel.

“I had a lot of learning to do,” said Schroeder. “Claude Noel told me you’re going to realize what you need to do to be successful. He was pretty hard on me, but I think I’m a better player for it.

“This year, with coach MacTavish, he helped me a lot, adding stuff to my game, trying to make me a better all-around player.”

Schroeder knows that to be successful in the NHL as a small player, you have to be able to put up points. While his speed created scoring chances for him in the AHL, he didn’t convert often enough — and that’s something he wants to rectify.

“I really want to work on my shot this summer,” said Schroeder, who works out in the off-season in his suburban Minneapolis hometown of Lakeville with the likes of NHLers Zach Parise, Kyle Okposo, Drew Stafford and Bryce Salvador.

“I think I can put up a lot more goals than I did this year. It was a big step for me to hit 21 goals, but I think I could have taken off in that area if I would have hit the net more or kept it down and hit the right spots.”

“I’m going to be totally honest,” he said. “These past two years I needed it, the development. Looking back, I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have learned in college if I’d stayed. I’ve learned so many parts of the game that it takes to get to the next level. I’ve still got a long ways to go but I’ve learned a lot.”

the most important part of that article for me, shows the difference between hodgson and schroeder, cody wasnt willing to pay his dues and let his game evolve.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to see Schroeder on the 2nd line in Kesler's spot to start the season

I would like to see Schroeder centre both Kesler and Booth once he does comes back. I think easing Kes back into game-play on the wing would be better than throwing him into +20 minutes a game...again...

Coach V has a soft spot for guys who play hard nut hockey and are willing to take on roles > see Burrows, Hansen, even Kess when he broke in, also Rypien...

See his countenance improving for Ballard with his improved "disposition" this past year...

No granting of talent key roles unless you are clearly better, but you can earn a roster spot in other ways is the coaches message. It's not a bad message either!

Sounds as if Schroeder was taking a similar message on board from Mac T, maybe he is a chance?

but.....coach v has little patience with drafts n prospects, he likes vets!

It is pretty obvious that he prefers vets, but I don't think he'd hold Jordan back just because he was young. Cody didn't get moved to the second line because whenever it was tried he showed no chemistry with Kesler. If Jordan gets a good look there and puts up points, I'd say he'd stay there until he wasn't looking effective. Of course, we may be seeing a different coach next season, so that changes everything.

Guest Dasein

^^^ I think he has a strong chance of making it if he works really hard over the summer.

Schroeder has a good attitude and is willing to do what it takes to get there, and he's put in his time without complaining and just learned to be a pro. He'll get along well with the coaching staff and his other teammates IMO.

Adding Schroeder to the roster kind of goes against Gillis saying he wants to get bigger and stronger.

I guess we can always upgrade in other positions though.

And so what happens when the 2012 - 2013 champs are filled with skilled players under 6 feet with no tough guys? DO we trade Booth, Kassian, Jensen etc??

The canucks need to find their own identity and stick with it.

Archived