The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

seriously. did you see that guy trying to argue with me about sauve being "slow", and even tried to continue the fight after I showed his fastest skater results matching tambellini and barely slower than Schroeder, both of which people routinely refer to as fast.

anyways, back to Schroeder, he's been good and improving at a steady rate, but the problem i've had with him is consistency throughout the game. Most of the game you'd barely notice he was on the ice, but a couple shifts here and there he'd have an amazing shift, where he would just dominate. I'd like to see him do that the entire game, or at least more often. It's these shifts that you could think of as game breaking, especially as they usually happen near the end of the period.

Haha, I saw that. It made me :picard:

The consensus among almost everybody is that he's a good skater. Just 'cause you're not blazing fast like Bure or Grabner doesn't mean you're not a good skater.

Schroeder is fast. I have no idea who thinks he is slow. I think he is going to surprise a bunch of folks in training camp.

noone was thinking schroeder was slow, some douche in canucks talk was trying to argue that sauve was slow, which I countered with numerous points, one of which his matching Schroeder in the fastest skater comp on the moose, and then the kid started saying sauve didn't use it in game, grasping at straws, and falling back on personal attacks.

noone was thinking schroeder was slow, some douche in canucks talk was trying to argue that sauve was slow, which I countered with numerous points, one of which his matching Schroeder in the fastest skater comp on the moose, and then the kid started saying sauve didn't use it in game, grasping at straws, and falling back on personal attacks.

Didn't know that. Cool. Yeah I thought Sauve was also fast.

I think Schroeder can be the 3rd line centre we need.

I totally disagree.

We already had the worst checkin line C in the history of the NHL, in Welly. Those days are over. Big, physical, shot blocking, price paying, fast and grit is what this team needs at C behind the Kesler line, not a flashy smurf.

for once i agree with jim, the only way that setup would work is to go the sabres route a few years ago

briere-drury and the kid line of vanek-roy-afinogenov and use kesler like they used drury to matchup and play the checking role.

much easier to just get a thirdline checking centre and put schroeder on kesler's wing.

for once i agree with jim, the only way that setup would work is to go the sabres route a few years ago

briere-drury and the kid line of vanek-roy-afinogenov and use kesler like they used drury to matchup and play the checking role.

much easier to just get a thirdline checking centre and put schroeder on kesler's wing.

We tried putting Schroeder on the wing in his first year in AHL. Failed experiment.

If Schroeder is going to be in the NHL, it will be as a centre.

Also, Kesler shouldn't be used as a third liner... He's a Selke winner getting 5M a year. We can't afford to play him 13-15 minutes a game.

We tried putting Schroeder on the wing in his first year in AHL. Failed experiment.

If Schroeder is going to be in the NHL, it will be as a centre.

Also, Kesler shouldn't be used as a third liner... He's a Selke winner getting 5M a year. We can't afford to play him 13-15 minutes a game.

Stop getting sucked into the number attached to the line. If he plays against the other teams top line every single time they're out in a defensive role he certainly wouldn't be playing 15min. If he plays on the top PP and top PK unit he's definitely not getting 15min.

I still have faith that the guy can make it as a regular contributor for the Canucks. His skill just has to shine through because, although he has improved immensely as a defensive player, he's not going to make and stick in the NHL because of his defensive abilities. He hasn't exactly lit up the AHL but hopefully he's one of those players whose abilities become apparent when he's playing with better, smarter players.

I really hope he shows enough in camp in the fall to take the 2nd line centre spot while Kesler is out. It would be the perfect opportunity to get a ton of experience and show off what he can do because the 2nd line centre role isn't exactly a small role he'd be thrust in to.

If he doesn't make the NHL then I really hope he's given the 1st line centre spot on the Wolves. For whatever reason, even though he was the most skilled centre on the Wolves last year, Coach McTavish insisted on spreading out the talent so he was always centering the 2nd line or even the 3rd line at times.

If he's given an opportunity to center the 1st line, I imagine he'd be playing between two veteran AHL talents in Brett Sterling and Darren Haydar. Or, if he has more chemistry with the likes of Anton Rodin or Bill Sweatt, make one of those guys get the top line LW and shift Sterling down. Haydar, though, is a 1st line mainstay and I think him and Schroeder could make things happen.

Rodin - Schroeder - Haydar

Sterling - _______ - Gordon

Sweatt - Friesen - Pinizzotto

Archibald - Schneider - Davies

^Pretty decent lineup. All it needs is a decent 2nd line centre. Who knows, maybe Mallet shows enough of a skill/grit mix to take over that spot. If not, I could see him taking the 4th line LW spot if Archibald bombs again.

He hasn't exactly lit up the AHL but hopefully he's one of those players whose abilities become apparent when he's playing with better, smarter players.

We know he hasn't carried a line or done anything to suggest that he is not a one dimensional talent that needs insulation.

I think this is a plague that the Canucks have too much of as it is on the top 6. This runtish, softish, perimeter player has no place on the Canucks. He will get an opportunity to play with solid, eager players at camp and if he doesn't shine I would expect a trade or for the team to move in a new direction.

If he does well and starts the season at center in place of Kesler it will only serve to increase his value in trade, but in no way will he maintain a roster position on the Canucks for any length of time.

^ How do you know he's not going to stick for any length of time?

If he doesn't make the NHL then I really hope he's given the 1st line centre spot on the Wolves. For whatever reason, even though he was the most skilled centre on the Wolves last year, Coach McTavish insisted on spreading out the talent so he was always centering the 2nd line or even the 3rd line at times.

If he's given an opportunity to center the 1st line, I imagine he'd be playing between two veteran AHL talents in Brett Sterling and Darren Haydar. Or, if he has more chemistry with the likes of Anton Rodin or Bill Sweatt, make one of those guys get the top line LW and shift Sterling down. Haydar, though, is a 1st line mainstay and I think him and Schroeder could make things happen.

Rodin - Schroeder - Haydar

Sterling - _______ - Gordon

Sweatt - Friesen - Pinizzotto

Archibald - Schneider - Davies

^Pretty decent lineup. All it needs is a decent 2nd line centre. Who knows, maybe Mallet shows enough of a skill/grit mix to take over that spot. If not, I could see him taking the 4th line LW spot if Archibald bombs again.

Looks like a decent roster. I hope to see Schneider nowhere near the lineup though. Would much rather have Matson centering that line instead. My goodness what a waste of a contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Stop getting sucked into the number attached to the line. If he plays against the other teams top line every single time they're out in a defensive role he certainly wouldn't be playing 15min. If he plays on the top PP and top PK unit he's definitely not getting 15min.

What are you saying...

Are you seriously trying to say that Kesler should be a third line centre and somehow he still gets 20 minutes a game?

What do you mean stop being sucked into the numbers attached to the line.... it's there for a reason. There's 60 minutes in a game. Explain to me how you give third line 20 minutes a game.

Or... do you just mean that Kesler should play 20 minutes a game, but we will just "call" it the third line? Ok. call it 4th line for all i care.

Archived