The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Not good enough to fill in for our 2nd line center.

Not many youngsters out there who just turned 22 to be able to fill in for Ryan Kesler. Without Ryan, we instantly become a bubble playoff team that relies on the Sedins and goaltending. With Ryan, we're a Stanley Cup contender.

Schroeder IMO is good enough to fill in as a 2nd line center with similar minutes Hodgson was given last year. He's no Ryan Kesler, but he's good enough to fill the spot temporarily. We won't be a contending team anymore, but that shows us the value of Ryan Kesler rather than the knock on Jordan Schroeder...

I don't think Schroeder is ready yet, but I do think he will be in the NHL at some point as an impact player.

Often smaller players just need more time to develop. Guys like Desharnais and St. Louis were almost 24/25 until they really broke out in the NHL. I'd still hold judgement on him. He has the skill and speed. He just has to figure out how to put it together effectively at the pro level.

I'm surprised he isn't putting up numbers in the AHL.

Yea that's what concerns me as well. His stats have been going up sure, but they are still no where near what smaller guys like St. Louis, Briere, and Marchand were putting up at the same age. They were all at least 1 PPG in the AHL right away, and were close to 2 PPG when they broke into the NHL.

I'm sorry, but I don't think he has what it takes. I think his ceiling is a top 6 forward in the AHL, most likely a 2nd line Center since he doesn't have the size to match up with other teams 1st line C's.

Yea that's what concerns me as well. His stats have been going up sure, but they are still no where near what smaller guys like St. Louis, Briere, and Marchand were putting up at the same age. They were all at least 1 PPG in the AHL right away, and were close to 2 PPG when they broke into the NHL.

I'm sorry, but I don't think he has what it takes. I think his ceiling is a top 6 forward in the AHL, most likely a 2nd line Center since he doesn't have the size to match up with other teams 1st line C's.

I agree, he looked good in his first stint with the Moose but his offensive game is not developing very well. He's better defensively but he's way too small to be a defensive minded center in the NHL.

He could be one of those players who excel in the NHL but not the AHL, but with his size, I don't really see it.

Next few years will make or break him.

I don't think Schroeder is ready yet, but I do think he will be in the NHL at some point as an impact player.

Often smaller players just need more time to develop. Guys like Desharnais and St. Louis were almost 24/25 until they really broke out in the NHL. I'd still hold judgement on him. He has the skill and speed. He just has to figure out how to put it together effectively at the pro level.

Both Desharnais and St. Louis were ripping up the AHL. They both probably would have been in the NHL quickly if it weren't for other circumstances.

For St. Louis, there was the pre-lockout questions about effectiveness of small players (despite Fleury, Ronning, etc.). So he had to prove himself to a higher degree in the A before getting a real shot. And for Desharnais, it had more to do with the fact that the Habs were already heavily criticized for being too small. Adding another guy, who was smaller than the rest, just didn't sit well at first. Fortunately, he performed admirably, and everyone forgot about it.

Nothing Schroeder has done has made me confident he'll be as effective of a player as Desharnais - or even in the same league as St. Louis. I'd peg him as a potentially effective 3rd liner, or average/fringe 2nd liner.

Early in the season yet and maybe he is working hard on the defensive part of his game. You dont play in the Canucks system without some kind of defensive zone smarts especially with Vignault behind the bench. People forget that Kesler is a shutdown center first that happened to find a nice scoring touch with more time played.

Early in the season yet and maybe he is working hard on the defensive part of his game. You dont play in the Canucks system without some kind of defensive zone smarts especially with Vignault behind the bench. People forget that Kesler is a shutdown center first that happened to find a nice scoring touch with more time played.

I agree with this.

Ive been posting in this topic mainly about how I dont see this kid making the the Canucks a better team. Thats not to say that I dont want him to turn into Dionne or something though.

One thing I wanted to add here is that would you guys please get off of the St. Louis and other mighty men age comparison?! You guys keep making the comparison to other runts... who became all stars and such while most runts are duds like we've seen here in Ried, Karia... For every runt who makes it there are 10 that dont. I dont share the hope, I guess.

Giving this guy time to make it is fine, as long as he has a grind game to match his skill game because AV has no room for passengers. I hear how he is improving defensively, great, they all do. If hes playing up here he will be hitting, blocking shots and closing lanes, not suiting up ahead of our depth for the gravy.

I hope he makes it big time, but my guess is that he is not an impact player, not even on a weak team. I havent been watching this year, maybe he is becoming more dynamic and impacting the game, maybe. Sounds like more of the same old though. You tell me.

For St. Louis, there was the pre-lockout questions about effectiveness of small players (despite Fleury, Ronning, etc.). So he had to prove himself to a higher degree in the A before getting a real shot.

In Calgary, St Louis was no threat. He shocked the NHL afterwards. Nobody saw that coming. He is completely uncompareable to our small man as an AHLer and prospect.

None of our prospects are putting up spectatular numbers....but the one thing they seem to be doing well is winning.

Even against teams with ubber prospects like Detroit, St Louis and Nashville.

Schroeder is one of the wolves best players, and the wolves are a winning team. He is progressing along slowly, but he is progressing.

None of our prospects are putting up spectatular numbers....but the one thing they seem to be doing well is winning.

Even against teams with ubber prospects like Detroit, St Louis and Nashville.

Schroeder is one of the wolves best players, and the wolves are a winning team. He is progressing along slowly, but he is progressing.

Detroit has uber prospects eh? like who?

Who's the other one?

there are actually 2 that haven't played a regular season game in the NHL

Chris Kreider - taken 3 before us by the Rags (technically played in the playoffs, so I guess that counts)

Philippe Paradis, the hurricanes prospect taken 5 spots behind us at 27th overall

also, there are 3 players who have played less than 5 games, Scott Glennie (1 game, dallas, 8th), Calvin de Haan (1, Iles, 12th), and Peter Holland, (4, Anaheim,15th)

there are actually 2 that haven't played a regular season game in the NHL

Chris Kreider - taken 3 before us by the Rags (technically played in the playoffs, so I guess that counts)

Philippe Paradis, the hurricanes prospect taken 5 spots behind us at 27th overall

also, there are 3 players who have played less than 5 games, Scott Glennie (1 game, dallas, 8th), Calvin de Haan (1, Iles, 12th), and Peter Holland, (4, Anaheim,15th)

Kreider played in the NHL playoffs though, and he didn't specify NHL regular season. So only one other. Besides, Kreider is a lock for NYR and is going to be a stud...

I would be very unhappy if he was our 3rd line center because I believe in winning in the playoffs... where winning means battling and winning. The 3rd line role will not suite is body or his game. But I havent seen him this year so...

He would have had to improve 100% in his own end, gain 30lbs while consistantly answering physical battles inorder to be near mention of a roster spot in 2013 on the Canucks.

CoHo was a very good positional player who seemed to anticipate the puck well and he was also quite a bit bigger so I understand why he was given a defensive role on the Canucks and with shorty, I dont see him getting much chance.

And while Im on it, I look forward to watching CoHo steadily rise in points and become that Doug Weight type guy we knew he would be.

Archived