The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Schroeder's numbers were better last year than Hodgson's were the year before (at the same age) - as well as a better +/-. He is a more rounded player imo.

Can tell a Botchford article without clicking the link. Of course the Canucks are going to give guys like Duco, Mancari, Oreskovich shots ahead of Schroeder - they were fourth liners - Schroeder is looking to jump onto the third line / as a skilled two-way center. It makes a difference.

People should have another look at the 2009 draft class - Schroeder was not a bad pick.

I really hope we don't give up on him, he has so much skill and untapped potential.

Calgary and Phoenix are kicking themselves still, for letting go St.louis and Briere respectively.

Our market is too harsh and quick to judge. Patience with a guy with Schroeders skill set could prove to be very rewarding.

Betcha in 2 months, more people than not will be raving about his play and how he is a lock to make the NHL next year.

He's already showing crazy progress and would likely adapt to the Canucks system far better than most. CDC just expects every prospect to pull a Crosby or they're a bust.

• 2 weeks later...

Bust...

But I hope not

Explain.

I really hope we don't give up on him, he has so much skill and untapped potential.

Calgary and Phoenix are kicking themselves still, for letting go St.louis and Briere respectively.

Our market is too harsh and quick to judge. Patience with a guy with Schroeders skill set could prove to be very rewarding.

Exactly, nice to hear some perspective.

Betcha in 2 months, more people than not will be raving about his play and how he is a lock to make the NHL next year.

Or whenever we fire Arniel ;)

But I agree, he had gotten better and is putting up points with some regularity now while maintaining a solid defensive game, it is nice to see.

Had a couple good chances today he seems to be heating up lately

6 points in 9 games in December.

2 points off last years December pace, but he is playing a much better all around game.

He has always seemed to play best in January and February, so expect him to continue rolling. He could really use Sweatt back. Those two have great chemistry. A Sweatt - Schroeder - Kassian line would be pretty good.

"I really hope we don't give up on him, he has so much skill and untapped potential."

Honestly you should listen to half you guys. Finding every excuse around for a player who is heading to be a an AHL player at best if he doesn't give himself a shake.

Please, no more excuses for Schroeder. He is no Hodgson. Furthermore I would say Hodgson played to his strengths to limit his obvious weaknesses, such as lack of pace and average defence.

Schroeder has the ability to be a far better player but I don't think there is any spark there. He's small so he should be "putting himself about" far more. He needs to let opposition players know he is there by using his speed and low centre of gravity. He also needs to shoot far more and be defensively more responsible.

He can't expect the Canucks to "carry him" if indeed he gets a shot in Vancouver. He will still lose out to Ebbett the way he is playing at present.............and I would have no complaints if he did.

I would like to see him with some better line mates and if he can't elevate his game I'm afraid he is going to be no good to us.

"I really hope we don't give up on him, he has so much skill and untapped potential."

Honestly you should listen to half you guys. Finding every excuse around for a player who is heading to be a an AHL player at best if he doesn't give himself a shake.

Please, no more excuses for Schroeder. He is no Hodgson. Furthermore I would say Hodgson played to his strengths to limit his obvious weaknesses, such as lack of pace and average defence.

Schroeder has the ability to be a far better player but I don't think there is any spark there. He's small so he should be "putting himself about" far more. He needs to let opposition players know he is there by using his speed and low centre of gravity. He also needs to shoot far more and be defensively more responsible.

He can't expect the Canucks to "carry him" if indeed he gets a shot in Vancouver. He will still lose out to Ebbett the way he is playing at present.............and I would have no complaints if he did.

I would like to see him with some better line mates and if he can't elevate his game I'm afraid he is going to be no good to us.

are you serious? do you watch wolves games or just check stats every month? if you really paved attention you would be a little more concerned about knaut over schroeder. and besides hodgson was picked 10th overall schroeder was picked 22nd overall a season later. your 60 years old bro grow up and learn to be patient.

How is that making an excuse? He is saying we should be patient with him, since some prospects develop at there own rate and still become good NHLer's, he's preaching patience, and that's what we should have with this kid. Something alot of Canuck fans dont have, and I would put you in that majority judging by these comments.

Here's the issue I see with this statement, the AHL is a developmental league, it is about working on your weakness just as much as it is your strenghts, if JS never worked on his weakness and only played to his strengths all the time he would get exploited big time at the next level.

You have to develop both evenly with Schroeder is doing, offense isn't a concern for him, he could step into the NHL right now and his offensive ability would be good enough to compete in that league, but if he doesn't work on his weakness's he won't be able to have to all round game to support the opportunities to use his strengths.

He is actually better than Hodgson in alot of aspects, skating he is way better, he is better defensively, he is brings more to the table on a shift to shift basis, and can create things in more than one zone, Cody is great in the offensive zone, but he isn't the kind of player that can take the puck end to end like Schroeder can, Cody is better in controlled situations, he is outstanding in them, but he doesn't have the game breaking ability on a shift to shift basis that Schroeder does.

He has actually been playing well lately by all accounts, 6 points in 9 games and has looked dangerous offensively (like he always does).

As for your concerns I agree he needs to shoot more, his shot is a lethal weapon (His wrist shot atleast) but he is a "pass-first" guy so you have to keep that in mind, in the NHL I doubt he will look to pass when he has good chances honeslty, so I'm not too worried about it.

As for him needing to put himself out more, I think he does, he speeds around all the time, backchecks hard and shown he can be good on the breakout, whether it is taking the puck around guys and getting it in or making a smart pass, he is very elusive and for his size has alot of strength and is very strong on his skates IMO.

I think you just need to learn to be more patient with him, he is already earned a shot, we just have to wait for this damn work stoppage to end and see what he can do, If he stick I say he can put up 20 goals with a full season, but that's me.

And no he won't lose out to Ebbett, he has been better than Ebbett this year.

are you serious? do you watch wolves games or just check stats every month? if you really paved attention you would be a little more concerned about knaut over schroeder. and besides hodgson was picked 10th overall schroeder was picked 22nd overall a season later. your 60 years old bro grow up and learn to be patient.

Can't believe people still doubt this guys just cause he is small.

There was a down year where everyone's hopes kinda dropped but after following the Wolves alot more closely this year my hopes have risen again, I see this guy as a 50-60 point capable guy maybe more, with 25+ goal potential.

Game breaking offensive ability is what I get back to, aslong as he works on his defensive game and brings it to a level where he isn't a liability at the nhl level (which he is already at or close to IMO) he will be fine, cause once he is in the show he will be here for his offensive ability, and he will be put in a chance to succeed offensively, then we will see what he can do, just needs to bring everything else up to standards first and I think he has.

Can't believe people still doubt this guys just cause he is small.

There was a down year where everyone's hopes kinda dropped but after following the Wolves alot more closely this year my hopes have risen again, I see this guy as a 50-60 point capable guy maybe more, with 25+ goal potential.

Game breaking offensive ability is what I get back to, aslong as he works on his defensive game and brings it to a level where he isn't a liability at the nhl level (which he is already at or close to IMO) he will be fine, cause once he is in the show he will be here for his offensive ability, and he will be put in a chance to succeed offensively, then we will see what he can do, just needs to bring everything else up to standards first and I think he has.

a couple games ago arneil had js starting on the third line. think about who he's playing with. do you think js would have a better chance scoring in the ahl with 2 ahl plugs on the third line or would he.have a better chance putting up numbers centering hansen and higgins or hansen and Raymond. what I'm trying to get at is canucks 3rd Line in nhl > wolves third line ahl

a couple games ago arneil had js starting on the third line. think about who he's playing with. do you think js would have a better chance scoring in the ahl with 2 ahl plugs on the third line or would he.have a better chance putting up numbers centering hansen and higgins or hansen and Raymond. what I'm trying to get at is canucks 3rd Line in nhl > wolves third line ahl

Yeah I know, I'm not really sure what Arniel is doing, I think the sooner we fire him the sooner the team will play better, in turn the more production our prospects will get.

like I said with Hodgson- I would put schroeder on the second line between booth and kesler and let him feed passes all day. with kesler on the ice, i would not be so worried about a defensive matchup. Gillis and Veigneault cried about how Hodgson was a defensive liability, I don't get that- look at teams like Philly-put couturier up against crosby last year, had schenn playing big minutes in the playoffs- what do we do- we trade away our only good young player before the playoffs because we are falsely concerned he'll get eaten alive.

Gillis' first year here was great and then he started to make really poor decisions- him and veignealt need to give young guys a chance-Jensen, Kassian, Schroeder need a chance- they wont be perfect everygame but how else will you develop your young players?

Thanks for the age chip bud but there is nothing wrong with my patience or judgement and yes we get every Chicago match over here on ESPN America.

So now that we have settled your bias and your confusion let me repeat, Schroeder lacks a spark and at his size he is going nowhere unless he picks up the pace.

As for Conn I've already said in other posts that he will struggle and needs to up his physical game, his defence and his intensity.

By the way your point about drafting might have had some relevance if there was 40 or 50 places between them but come on 10th and 20th.........are you serious?

The Canucks fans (of which I am one) are in for a lean future if we have to rely on the prospects we have at present.

like I said with Hodgson- I would put schroeder on the second line between booth and kesler and let him feed passes all day. with kesler on the ice, i would not be so worried about a defensive matchup. Gillis and Veigneault cried about how Hodgson was a defensive liability, I don't get that- look at teams like Philly-put couturier up against crosby last year, had schenn playing big minutes in the playoffs- what do we do- we trade away our only good young player before the playoffs because we are falsely concerned he'll get eaten alive.

Gillis' first year here was great and then he started to make really poor decisions- him and veignealt need to give young guys a chance-Jensen, Kassian, Schroeder need a chance- they wont be perfect everygame but how else will you develop your young players?

Philadelphia was one of the worst defensive teams I've seen in years, until I watched pittsburgh play them. But still they lost 9-8 to the Winnepeg Jets and 10-3 to the Penguins in the playoffs.They paid the ultimate price against New Jersey, getting handled.

Vigneault needs to put more faith in his younger players, it's that simple. It's hard to watch Gillis put big resources into developing young players and then Vigneault giving them limited such roles.

Well it's up to Gillis to call these young players up from the farm, which he hasn't been doing.

I would say AV has given the young players a pretty fair shot when they earn it. Grabner was given quite a few chances in the top 6, Hodgson was given PP time and at point was right in the mix for the Calder. And then there's Tanev, who was used regularly, and earned a spot on the bottom pairing. Kassian is still a work in progress, but he's still only 21.

The only player I don't think AV realy gave a fair chance to was Shirokov. I thought he deserved a little bit more of a chance to see what he could do. Oh well, not every player is always gonna be given a fair shot.

Thanks for the age chip bud but there is nothing wrong with my patience or judgement and yes we get every Chicago match over here on ESPN America.

So now that we have settled your bias and your confusion let me repeat, Schroeder lacks a spark and at his size he is going nowhere unless he picks up the pace.

As for Conn I've already said in other posts that he will struggle and needs to up his physical game, his defence and his intensity.

By the way your point about drafting might have had some relevance if there was 40 or 50 places between them but come on 10th and 20th.........are you serious?

The Canucks fans (of which I am one) are in for a lean future if we have to rely on the prospects we have at present.

I honestly feel like Schroeder gets the short end of the stick when it comes to the line-up.

He plays with Rodin for a handful of games - gets on a point streak, then the lines get shuffled.

Same with him and Sweatt or him and Kassian.

It seems like anytime there is an issue with another line; Schroeders gets adjusted as well.

Archived