The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Schroeder was our best face-off man tonight. AV already trusts him to take D-zone face-offs.

But what impresses me even more is how solid he is on his skates.

The last two games I've seen a lot bigger men just bounce off of him while attempting to hit him.

I see both of those facets of Schroeder's game as an instant improvement over Cody Hodgson.

Yeah, Jordan is unbelievably strong on his skates.

I like

D Sedin - H Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

Volpatti

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts, Barker

Schneider

Luongo

It's too bad we have to put Volpatti in the press box - he is such a physical force out there. Depending on who's struggling on the wing, (Booth, Higgins, Raymond), we may drop them to add Volpatti's physicality from time to time.

A lot of people writing off Manny because he hasn't looked the same since his injury - the man still is winning faceoffs at above 70% right now. He is our only left-handed center that takes draws on the PK. Invaluable defensively and on faceoffs. He will not be taken out of the lineup IMO.

I agree with you on Malhotra.

I like that idea and it is more realistic than what I posted, but in theory Kes & Booth would be at their best with an skilled-winger who can make nice passes.

I also don't like Raymond in the line-up, even though he had 2 goals & 1 against CGY, he made so many bad plays if you actually pay attention.. IMO. He's not a reliable player & his playoff play historically has been dreadful..

If Schroeder continues to do well with the Canucks and Andersson continues to be a horse on defense for the Wolves, that 2009 draft might just turn out to be a dandy. It sounds like Canucks management is higher on Connauton than people here are too. Gillis said that with the cap decreasing next season there will be a much greater emphasis put on youth. I would not be surprised in the least to see Ballard dealt or bought out and Connauton tried on the bottom pairing with Tanev, as that pairing was solid in the AHL.

I agree, I even haven't wroten off Rodin, I think like Schroeder he will be better in the NHL than the AHL if he gets there, he has some good skills and is pretty dynamic, I think his stats definetly hasn't reflected his game, his puck protection and strength on his skates really stand out at me, that is a huge factor for a guy lilke that who skates so well and has the offensive skills he does, I'm not writing him off quite yet but I do agree with your post.

I also agree on Schroeder, I have been confident all along and I maintain the opinion that he will play in this league as long as he keeps working as hard as he is and there is no reason why he won't.

This guy is a very precious talent, he has been playing against people older and bigger than him his entire life and I think that's why he has played so well in his first few games, like as an example he played for his school team as an 8th grader and played against kids in grades 11 and 12 and was still a good player.

then he played in the 08 WJ, a full year before he was draft eligibile, in a tournament that featured guys like Okposo, Pacioretty, Doughty, Stamkos, exc. And put up some solid points. (which to me is absolutely incredible, that would be like Nathan Mackinnon or Johnathon Drouin having played in the 2012 tourney)

I'm just excited, I think we are just starting to scratch the surface, could easily see him as a 25 goal 50+ point guy and a useful 2nd liner in the mold of Marc Savard with a strong defensive game.

Schroeder was our best face-off man tonight. AV already trusts him to take D-zone face-offs.

But what impresses me even more is how solid he is on his skates.

The last two games I've seen a lot bigger men just bounce off of him while attempting to hit him.

I see both of those facets of Schroeder's game as an instant improvement over Cody Hodgson.

This is something I have been thinking about alot aswell.

I mean can he become a better player? Maybe, maybe not. But when you break down what both players bring, you see Schroeder has some significant advantages and I don't think Cody has many significant advantages over JS.

I wouldn't write off JS potentially becoming just as good if not better, perhaps the ceiling isn't as high but in a year I could see JS as just as good a player as Cody is now, cause I think he is a better player now than Cody was at this point in the season last year, and like Cody I expect Schroeder will continue to get better as the season goes along.

A lot of people writing off Manny because he hasn't looked the same since his injury - the man still is winning faceoffs at above 70% right now. He is our only left-handed center that takes draws on the PK. Invaluable defensively and on faceoffs. He will not be taken out of the lineup IMO.

Glad to see someone else agrees, was arguing this point elsewhere and it was me against the world, the guy missed an entire offseason of training last year, and now that he has gotten that I don't see any reason why he can't be a great 4th liner, that brings more than he did last year, we just have to wait and see more what he can do, and even if not he is still extremely valuable to this club with the faceoffs, defensive ability and Penalty Killing. Also will help cut into Kesler's defensive/PK workload in the playoffs.

He was great last night. Real steady guy to play with.

He has the potential to be really dangerous with unexpected shots to the goalie but instead he goes for a safe pass, which isn't necessarily bad. I hope he gains more confidence and plays like he did in the world juniors.

Raymond Schroeder Hansen could be something like chicago Ladd Bolland Versteeg

Not a good comparison at all lol.

Versteeg and Raymond or Hansen are somewhat similar...

But Ladd is a big body that doesn't have nearly as much speed as any of these guys here.

Bolland is more like a Burrows type player.

I don't know who Schroeder compares to.

Just thought I would re-post this, this was pre-draft, just after the combine.

9.Jordan Schroeder – Prior Lake, MN – 5’9″ – 180 lbs – WCHA – Minnesota – RW

One-Timer: Although most will dwell on his size, Schroeder more than makes up for this deficiency with his outstanding hockey sense and intelligence, poise, pucks skills and blazing speed. He is the ultimate team player, has excellent creativity and is not intimidated by the physical play despite his size. Actually, as noted below in scouting combine notes, he is very stocky and has a rock solid core. He is described as more of a playmaker, but the shot he exhibited at the WJC was just as lethal as his passing.

NHL Player(s) Comparison: Paul Kariya, Pierre-Marc Bouchard,Zach Parise

Bio/Interview Links: http://www.westernco...ordan-schroeder

Scouting Combine Performance:

• Sorokin stated Schroeder “Looked about 5’7 to me…Is that a problem? Somehow I don’t think it will be, and you gotta see the guy’s body to understand why. It’s his build – which is stocky and very muscular. Also looks like a kid with a really good attitude, which should help him succeed at the next level.”
  • Gare Joyce noted that in the bench press and for push-ups, “U of Minnesota’s Jordan Schroeder also posted big numbers even though he’s short and pretty slight.” Gare also stated that with respect to the interview process, was among “those who might have talked themselves into disrepute.”
  • TSN staff reported “Jordan Schroeder, a top prospect at #5, did his wingate test and vomited once it was complete. He also completed 17 bench presses at 150 pounds, one of the best showings we’ve seen through two groups so far. Schroeder, who measured in at 5’8, seemed to enjoy the Combine experience. In one of his meetings with a GM, the 18-year-old said he was asked who he would most like to go out to dinner with - Barack Obama, Maria Sharapova orSean Avery. “I would have liked to have picked Sharapova but I went with Avery,” Schroeder said with a smile. {I think he should’ve went with Sharapova, as well, or even Obama, but he didn’t really say Avery, did he?!?}.

International Tournaments: At the WJC-U20s, Schroeder registered 11 points in 6 games, but some critics said he disappeared once Team USA faced tougher competition. I, for one, was impressed with the skill set he displayed.

ETA = 1 to 3 years

Risk-Reward Analysis: Risk = 1.5/5 Reward = 5/5

NHL Potential: 1st line scoring winger

Fantasy Hockey Potential: Offensive = 9/10 Defensive = 7/10

Other Rankings:

• ISS: 14
  • CSB: 5-NA
  • TSN: 12
  • THN: 9

As you can see alot of hype surrounded him.

I agree with the one-timer section, 1st line scoring winger seems high now. But I agree with how they broke down the rest of it.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but I could see 60+ point from him, I think he will continue to get better as his career goes along, and I don't expect to see his best production until 25-27 myself.

When you look at comparable players (IMO) Like Cammalleri and Briere.

Cammalleri was drafted in 2001 (2nd Round/49th) and was in and out of the NHL until after the lockout when he put up 55 Points and just got better from then on.

Briere was a bit of a late bloomer, he was drafted in 96 (1st Round/24th) but didn't do anything impressive in the NHL until the 01-02 season in which he exploded for 60 Points.

I know it seems far fetched cause Schroeder has been on the backburner it seems since we got him (and had high projections like Parise, Kane, exc.) But I could seem him in the mold of these 2 eventually myself.

Do you guys think Schroeder will stick once Kes, or even Booth come back? Assuming Kassian continues to play well with the twins, there's going to be a logjam of wingers, and Raymond has actually been playing well lately, if he keeps it up it will be hard to scratch him. If Kass and Schroeder stay up, maybe lines like this?

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins was originally brought in the play on the fourth line wasnt he? cant be too bad of a fit, better than Raymond would. Really don't want to see Patti or Weise come out though, they add a lot of toughness. If Raymond starts to play crappy again maybe start scratching him again, move up Higgins and toss in Volpatti or Weise.

Do you guys think Schroeder will stick once Kes, or even Booth come back? Assuming Kassian continues to play well with the twins, there's going to be a logjam of wingers, and Raymond has actually been playing well lately, if he keeps it up it will be hard to scratch him. If Kass and Schroeder stay up, maybe lines like this?

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins was originally brought in the play on the fourth line wasnt he? cant be too bad of a fit, better than Raymond would. Really don't want to see Patti or Weise come out though, they add a lot of toughness. If Raymond starts to play crappy again maybe start scratching him again, move up Higgins and toss in Volpatti or Weise.

I like it. In all honesty Higgins has been crap this season, I'm hoping he picks it up. He's been great on the PK but that's about all. I'm a huge Schroeder supporter and I hope he keeps it up. I think at worse, when Kesler and Booth come back, Schroeder forces Ebbett out of a spot, becoming the 13th forward.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

My exact thoughts on how the lines should be.

The Raymond - Schroeder combo has just been too good to separate IMO. Hansen adds more grit too the line, and they all have blazing speed.

I like Schroeder. I like his work ethic. I like that he's paid his dues, and doesn't come across as entitled.

I liked that he's made efforts to round out his two way game.

Whether or not he's in the long-term plans remain to be seen.

He's got skill. He's got speed. I think ultimately he'll have to produce to to stay longer with us.

But I'm glad he's getting his shot now. He's earned it.

The coaching staff needs to figure out why Schroeder seems to have trouble converting to wing, except when he was playing alongside Hodgson.

We all know that Cody Hodgson has elite playmaking abilities, was probably only behind Daniel and Henrik when he was here. So was the problem with JS is that there's no longer and equally/greater talented centre to set him up?

Maybe playing on Kesler's wing might be a good thing as Kesler has proven to be a decent playmaker in the past.

The coaching staff needs to figure out why Schroeder seems to have trouble converting to wing, except when he was playing alongside Hodgson.

We all know that Cody Hodgson has elite playmaking abilities, was probably only behind Daniel and Henrik when he was here. So was the problem with JS is that there's no longer and equally/greater talented centre to set him up?

Maybe playing on Kesler's wing might be a good thing as Kesler has proven to be a decent playmaker in the past.

or maybe it would be a bad thing because he never passea

Personally, I think Schroeder has a laser of a shot and I'd like to see him use it much more. I am aware he has great hockey sense and vision and creates opportunities for his linemates, but I'd sure like to see him use that shot of his more often. It's a true sniper shot. He'd bag more than a few if he'd use it. Yes, he IS a great setup guy but he's also a great scorer with a wicked shot. USE IT JORDAN!

when cody got hurt jordan's centre was some ahl plug and i cant even remember his name. hard for a small winger to contribute if his centre cant get him the puck or finish plays off.

edit: they were also making him be F1 on the forecheck which is ridiculous, if you watch pat kane he is almost never in the corners as the first guy on the puck, he swoops in and steals the puck with quick hands and makes a play.

Have to put players in a situation where they can succeed and in my opinion when they put jordan on the wing he had little to no chance.

Archived