The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

i thought jordan had his best offensive game today, made some nice plays, struggled on the faceoffs today vs a great veteran centre group from san jose.

Yeah, he was outmatched in faceoffs, but the team didn't suffer for it (was not scored against).

Schroeder has played well, and played smart. Great passes, no giveaways, hasn't been on the ice for a goal against. I've been surprised at how well he has played defensively - positionally sound, has a takeaway, and has even thrown a couple decent hits!

Other than that RIDICULOUS penalty he took in his first game, he's been as good as anyone could (or at least, should) have hoped for.

Another solid game for Schroeder last night. Went 64% in draws, and is now up to 50% on the season.

If he keeps playing like this, I'd be all for going with a Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen 3rd line when Kesler is back. Kesler's line would be getting most of the tough defensive assignments, and the 4th line would be getting the tough draws, leaving the 3rd line to focus more on offense.

Not having a 3rd line that can put the puck in the net has cost us in playoffs past, whereas 3rd liners (the Bollands and Marchands) have at the same time destroyed us. It would be nice to go forward with a system that corrects this.

i am so impressed by his faceoff ability and defensive play, the canucks could be pretty darn deep when kes/booth come back. I hate how they are using him on the 2nd PP unit, i think its a horrible scheme and hope they change it once they get some PP practice time.

Seems like Marc Savard or Brendan Morrison (in his prime)

He is a bit different from Savard in that he is a better skater and has a better shot, also strong on the puck.

I think he will be at his best if we can put a good sniper/finisher along side him as he looks to pass alot, Weise has been on the receiving end of some quality opportunities but hasn't been able to finish which is why I want Burrows there.

But I could see him at his best with a good finisher like Morrison and Savard both had (Kessel and Naslund)

Maybe Schroeder & Nick Jensen would be a good combo for us. Schroeder feeds Nick finishes.

He is a bit different from Savard in that he is a better skater and has a better shot, also strong on the puck.

I think he will be at his best if we can put a good sniper/finisher along side him as he looks to pass alot, Weise has been on the receiving end of some quality opportunities but hasn't been able to finish which is why I want Burrows there.

But I could see him at his best with a good finisher like Morrison and Savard both had (Kessel and Naslund)

Maybe Schroeder & Nick Jensen would be a good combo for us. Schroeder feeds Nick finishes.

Jensen - Schroeder - Kassian gaining even more potential to become a poor man's WCE or even WCE 2.0 for the future.

LOL.

C'mon man. Brendan Morrison is one thing, but Marc Savard in his prime was a top-10 scorer in this league. You ruin all credibility and subject yourself to Homer-status with statements like that.

You're better than that!

LOL.

C'mon man. Brendan Morrison is one thing, but Marc Savard in his prime was a top-10 scorer in this league. You ruin all credibility and subject yourself to Homer-status with statements like that.

You're better than that!

i think his playstyle is like savard, doesnt mean he is going to score 80+points like savard, but he plays a similar game which is why comparisons are made.

When people say "he looks like lidstrom" doesnt mean that player is a top3 all time defenseman and going to be one of the best all time. Just means he plays a similar sort of game but probably not up to that level.

LOL.

You're better than that!

How so? If Schroeder received any of the hype Hodgson did, I guarantee people would still be holding on hopes that he could still be a 1st liner like he was once projected to be.

Again the Savard comparison was playing style, do I expect him to score 80 Points? No not anymore, do I think he can he play a similar style to Savard with a bit more of a defensive minded style, and hit 50-60 points? Yeah I think he can.

He has been put on the backburner for so long with all the hype on Cody and Schneider, but really he is a pretty good prospect in his own right.

Again the Savard comparison was playing style, do I expect him to score 80 Points? No not anymore, do I think he can he play a similar style to Savard with a bit more of a defensive minded style, and hit 50-60 points? Yeah I think he can.

Then your Brendan Morrison comparison was fine. Or you could throw out Ribeiro, Derek Roy, etc...so many others whose level of play is at least remotely achievable for Jordan. No need to exaggerate beyond that.

Then your Brendan Morrison comparison was fine. Or you could throw out Ribeiro, Derek Roy, etc...so many others whose level of play is at least remotely achievable for Jordan. No need to exaggerate beyond that.

I simply threw out Savard because I believe his offensive style is much more comparable to Marc than Brendan. If he was given a top sniper like Savard was with Heatley, Kovalchuk, Kessel, exc. He could pattern after the way they did.

No need to take my comment further than that though, although I will say, Schroeder will surprised some people in the coming years IMO.

I simply threw out Savard because I believe his offensive style is much more comparable to Marc than Brendan. If he was given a top sniper like Savard was with Heatley, Kovalchuk, Kessel, exc. He could pattern after the way they did.

No need to take my comment further than that though, although I will say, Schroeder will surprised some people in the coming years IMO.

He does look a lot like Savard when he's skating on the ice, doesn't he? People take these things too far. You say a player reminds you of a better player and people jump on you. I know what you mean, though. I do see a lot of Savard in Schroeder in the way he skates, and basically just in his stature and playing style.

Does he ever become as good as Savard? Probably not, but who the hell knows? It's not out of the question though. The thing is, for any player to get that good he needs the ice time and the prime responsibilities. For Schroeder to develop into a top line playmaker centre he'd pretty much need to be given that role to run with and with good linemates.

I remember when people were comparing Coho to Joe Sakic and Stevie Y. Now I hear Jordon being compared to Kane, Savard and Parise. Why do fans have to hype these these guys before they even get a season under their belt? Schroeder has been a great surprise so far and I am hoping he can stay with the team. Let's just sit back and enjoy watching him develop into a solid NHL player.

He does look a lot like Savard when he's skating on the ice, doesn't he? People take these things too far. You say a player reminds you of a better player and people jump on you. I know what you mean, though. I do see a lot of Savard in Schroeder in the way he skates, and basically just in his stature and playing style.

Does he ever become as good as Savard? Probably not, but who the hell knows? It's not out of the question though. The thing is, for any player to get that good he needs the ice time and the prime responsibilities. For Schroeder to develop into a top line playmaker centre he'd pretty much need to be given that role to run with and with good linemates.

I agree with this, his upside doesn't seem to be what it once was but in some respects it is really unkown, atleast from our perspective we haven't had a rookie step in right away and look as impressive in his first in the league in awhile.

His potential might not be as sky high as some thought but who knows, like you I agree it's unlikely but being the optimist I am around this guy I wouldn't completely rule out him become a really good player.

Also I think he is a bit better defensively and a better skater than Savard, does he have quite the offensive ability? maybe not. Although I don't think many expected Savard to be an 80-90+ point player until he was put with elite snipers like Kovalchuk, Heatley and Kessel.

Maybe Schroeder won't hit 80-90+, he probably won't but with an elite sniper like Morrison and Savard had I could see him being a real good player for us.

Anyways I'll try to leave comparisons aside for now as it is still early, he was pretty impressive tonight aswell, he has this unbelievable ability to make passes that I don't even see, he can identify and open man without much of a look and make a perfect pass, crisp and tape to tape, it's get me excited to see what he will be like mid-way through the year and next season.

I remember when people were comparing Coho to Joe Sakic and Stevie Y. Now I hear Jordon being compared to Kane, Savard and Parise. Why do fans have to hype these these guys before they even get a season under their belt? Schroeder has been a great surprise so far and I am hoping he can stay with the team. Let's just sit back and enjoy watching him develop into a solid NHL player.

No one is making Parise and Kane comparison's, Savard and Morrison yes.

And for those who had followed the Wolves and him closely, I don't think it is quite as big a surprise, I'm not really all that surprised at all, I was confident he would step in and impress like this.

I agree with this, his upside doesn't seem to be what it once was but in some respects it is really unkown, atleast from our perspective we haven't had a rookie step in right away and look as impressive in his first in the league in awhile.

His potential might not be as sky high as some thought but who knows, like you I agree it's unlikely but being the optimist I am around this guy I wouldn't completely rule out him become a really good player.

Also I think he is a bit better defensively and a better skater than Savard, does he have quite the offensive ability? maybe not. Although I don't think many expected Savard to be an 80-90+ point player until he was put with elite snipers like Kovalchuk, Heatley and Kessel.

Maybe Schroeder won't hit 80-90+, he probably won't but with an elite sniper like Morrison and Savard had I could see him being a real good player for us.

Anyways I'll try to leave comparisons aside for now as it is still early, he was pretty impressive tonight aswell, he has this unbelievable ability to make passes that I don't even see, he can identify and open man without much of a look and make a perfect pass, crisp and tape to tape, it's get me excited to see what he will be like mid-way through the year and next season.

No one is making Parise and Kane comparison's, Savard and Morrison yes.

And for those who had followed the Wolves and him closely, I don't think it is quite as big a surprise, I'm not really all that surprised at all, I was confident he would step in and impress like this.

"I know it seems far fetched cause Schroeder has been on the backburner it seems since we got him (and had high projections like Parise, Kane, exc.) But I could seem him in the mold of these 2 eventually myself."

Archived