The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

But I thought they'd have to at least make an effort to sign him first, otherwise I could see quite a few teams trading away players for prospects that have been labelled 'bust' in order to get compensatory picks just by not signing them. Or is it just me and it happens all the time? What kind of compensation do you get if you don't sign a prospect, say, from the CHL or European leagues and what deadlines would those be?

I think it only applies to NCAA first round draft picks. I'm not positive though.

But I thought they'd have to at least make an effort to sign him first, otherwise I could see quite a few teams trading away players for prospects that have been labelled 'bust' in order to get compensatory picks just by not signing them. Or is it just me and it happens all the time? What kind of compensation do you get if you don't sign a prospect, say, from the CHL or European leagues and what deadlines would those be?

That doesn't apply to NCAA players. Sharks don't have to offer white a contract and they get a 2nd round pick in the same spot white was taken in the 1st round, so 50th overall pick.

You actualy don't have too even make a sheet offer. Apparently they can just say "we made an offer" and thats as good as it is. From what I know its the 55th pick for someone like Patrick White who was drafted 25.

That doesn't apply to NCAA players. Sharks don't have to offer white a contract and they get a 2nd round pick in the same spot white was taken in the 1st round, so 50th overall pick.

Patrick White is WCHA player.... do you mean drafted out of the NCAA or only NCAA players? I heard it applies to all college players....

Schroeder will be a more successful and dominating player than White will ever be. Yes White is a point ahead of him, but he is also 2 years ahead in development. I admit, that is not much of an argument but it is a valid point to be made. Sure, the naysayers will say Schroeder is 3 goals behind, but on the flipside White is also 2 assists behind.

What I am trying to say is, Schroeder is not exactly lighting the world on fire but he is playing at a 0.67 ppg pace. It is the NCAA and not the NHL but if he can still take that kind of production to that NHL then that translates to a 55pt season. It is an EXTREMELY small sample size but hey.. its CDC. Now, comparingly in his rookie season he had: 13g 32a 45p in 35 gp which translates to a 1.3 ppg pace which means a 105pt season. not bad at all. again, this is if he can translate the production from the NCAA to the NHL. This does not mean he will, as I am sure their have been complete busts with a high ppg in the NCAA who become minor league fodder.

As a sample size, I am going to use his production of this season pro-rated to 82gp which would be 55pts.

Last season:

Name/Point total/Rank

Alex Frolov 59pt #62

Joe Pavelski 59pt #67

Scott Gomex 58pt #69

Chris Drury 56pt #75

Teemu Selanne 54pt #79

Kris Versteeg 53pt #85

Schroeder would be ranked 77 out of all forwards with 55pts. 3 first line forwards per team, 30 teams = 90 first line forwards.

This was not to say Schroeder is going to hit 105pt seasons or that P.White will light up the NHL one day. But it goes to show that there is no need to worry with such a young prospect who is only 18yr. For the record, I do not think White will ever tear up the NHL, and believe his ceiling to be a 3rd liner. As for Schroeder I see him as a 60-75pt elite winger (converting from centre) with point per game season's (80-90) in his prime. I see him as a St.Louis/P.Kane-light hybrid.

Schroeder - 2 goals 5 assist in 10 games

Nick Leddy (16th Overall pick by the Wild) - 0 points in 5 games (currently injured)

I know it's early and Leddy is a defenseman, but seriously, what were the Wild thinking? The team needs just about everything when it comes to prospects, but they picked Tyler Cuma and Marco Scandella in 2008, so they at least had some defense. Schroeder just made sense for the Wild on so many levels it's not even funny.

Leddy is talented no doubt, but he is undersized and is a risky pick since he was chosen out of high-school.

Archived