The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Doubt it.

Hodgson was the best prospect last year at camp, and he did it with a busted back.

Now Imagine Hodgson had a 100% back. I will bet money that Hodgson will have a stronger camp then Schroeder.

I disagree...!!...Hodgson was not the best prospect at camp,and after watching him play in exhibition games last year, there was NO doubt that he clearly just was'nt ready for the NHL...who's kidding who.?.(I know he was hurting..!!)...not to say that he wont be .I do believe that he will be a great impact player,and a leader for the Canucks ..,but his deveopment to the NHL level will take more time.

Schroeder..great skater,.. is not a step behind..short,.. yes,...but he is physically strong(stengthwise-2nd in all players in 2009..draft)..and is ready made..ready to go...he had no problems excelling at the AHL league late last season..!!He has excelled at every step.

I think that when training camp kicks in..you've got Grabner,Raymond,Hodgson and Schroeder...all relatively the same flavour...somebody is going to be expendible..!!

Doubt it.

Hodgson was the best prospect last year at camp, and he did it with a busted back.

Now Imagine Hodgson had a 100% back. I will bet money that Hodgson will have a stronger camp then Schroeder.

I disagree...!!...Hodgson was not the best prospect at camp,and after watching him play in exhibition games last year, there was NO doubt that he clearly just was'nt ready for the NHL...who's kidding who.?.(I know he was hurting..!!)...not to say that he wont be .I do believe that he will be a great impact player,and a leader for the Canucks ..,but his deveopment to the NHL level will take more time.

Schroeder..great skater,.. is not a step behind..short,.. yes,...but he is physically strong(stengthwise-2nd in all players in 2009..draft)..and is ready made..ready to go...he had no problems excelling at the AHL league late last season..!!He has excelled at every step.

I think that when training camp kicks in..you've got Grabner,Raymond,Hodgson and Schroeder...all relatively the same flavour...somebody is going to be expendible..!!

[/quote

whoops..double post:(]

So you make a 3rd post just to say double post? you could have just edited the 2nd one.

And I see Raymond as the most expendable of those 4, since the other 3 have higher potentials, despite Raymond being the furthest along in his development. I don't think anyone will be traded though, since Schroeder could easily be sent down (or Hodgson if he is outplayed, which I would be surprised by). Then again, I would not give guaranteed spots to anyone, you have to play your way in to the linup, and that goes for everyone.

You guys will never stop trying to hijack threads and make them all about Hodgson.

Gillis tried desperately to avoid Hodgson . He talked about the canucks prospects as a whole until a reporter finally had to ask specifically about Cody.

Even then, he says he has no idea if he can make the team, but he has high hopes for him. Like he does all our prospects. Its not something specific to Hodgson.

Its not like he has high hopes for the clown but nobody esle. He then went on to talk about Connaution and Sauve in great detail.

Gillis stated that to get a top 4 RENTAL he wasn't prepared to trade Hodgson. Now you tools are twisting that into EVERYONE wanted Hodgson .

Isn't it great to hide behind the internet and make up chit anytime you feel like it? You guys do this all the time.

ANYWAYS, can we get back to Jordan Schroeder now? The thread is supposed to be about him.

smile.gif

you seem to be loving that the most. a guy that's on here 24/7 and always ready to bash luongo or hodgson or anyone not named Kesler for that matter.

You guys will never stop trying to hijack threads and make them all about Hodgson.

Gillis tried desperately to avoid Hodgson . He talked about the canucks prospects as a whole until a reporter finally had to ask specifically about Cody.

Even then, he says he has no idea if he can make the team, but he has high hopes for him. Like he does all our prospects. Its not something specific to Hodgson.

Its not like he has high hopes for the clown but nobody esle. He then went on to talk about Connaution and Sauve in great detail.

Gillis stated that to get a top 4 RENTAL he wasn't prepared to trade Hodgson. Now you tools are twisting that into EVERYONE wanted Hodgson .

Isn't it great to hide behind the internet and make up chit anytime you feel like it? You guys do this all the time.

ANYWAYS, can we get back to Jordan Schroeder now? The thread is supposed to be about him.

smile.gif

Good post...

what MG said is just enough to think Cody is a valued member of our prospect pool that's it...it doesn't mean that Toronto is call MG everyday for the kid, so get over this whole idea of trying to spin every single new piece of garbage that is brought up by anyone in the organization regarding Hodgson, cause it's all bs!

He is going to be just like Schroeder come camp and they can both show their $hit and shut you idiots up.

smile.gif

Sorry double post

Some players right out of junior can make the jump. Duchene comes to mind. Sure, they make some mistakes, but so what? Leave them out there to develop. Look at Tavares, Stamkos, Evander Kane. It will be interesting to see if Hodgson has matured mentally and prepared himself over the summer to give it his all. Apart from the injuries he's had, if he's healthy, I see him as a definite possibility. But he's got to play like he wants it. From what I've seen, he's been a bit starry-eyed.

Schroeder is someone who I think will mature very fast. He's got a great attitude and confidence. He may have the edge over Cory inside his head.

There is also something to be said, development-wise, for being around the big team. So much can be learned from the other guys, as well as the level of commitment required to step up. Psychologically, it can be a barrier being sent down to the AHL, even if it is a promotion of sorts. A player can fall into a rut, thinking this is where I'll be unless something spectacular happens in my process (usually gradual--Grabner, e.g.).

Some players right out of junior can make the jump. Duchene comes to mind. Sure, they make some mistakes, but so what? Leave them out there to develop. Look at Tavares, Stamkos, Evander Kane. It will be interesting to see if Hodgson has matured mentally and prepared himself over the summer to give it his all. Apart from the injuries he's had, if he's healthy, I see him as a definite possibility. But he's got to play like he wants it. From what I've seen, he's been a bit starry-eyed.

Schroeder is someone who I think will mature very fast. He's got a great attitude and confidence. He may have the edge over Cory inside his head.

But you're comparing a forward and a goalie though... huh.gif

There is also something to be said, development-wise, for being around the big team. So much can be learned from the other guys, as well as the level of commitment required to step up. Psychologically, it can be a barrier being sent down to the AHL, even if it is a promotion of sorts. A player can fall into a rut, thinking this is where I'll be unless something spectacular happens in my process (usually gradual--Grabner, e.g.).

This is very true IMO. It's also why we all appreciate having Mike Keane down with Manitoba so much, because he's a real leader and shows the young guys the ropes. Having them up with the big team can't hurt either as they'll learn what it takes to be a pro, in terms of attitude, work ethic etc. And your point about the barrier to guys in the AHL also makes a lot of sense. A lot of times, that barrier is just a mental one. But if the player realizes that they have to work even harder, play to their strengths as well as keep on improving other areas of their game they'll have a good chance to get the first re-call back up.

I also think that sometimes it's hard for players to shine down in the AHL - not because they're bad, but because their team or line mates aren't all that good, so they're not putting up as many points as they'd like. I remember reading somewhere about how a lot of AHLer's do have the skill to play at the NHL level, but the only difference is their consistency, game in, game out - all in the head.

First off, Schroeder has been referred to as having some lazy habits this year in MN, he developed some bad habits this year because of the lack of proper coaching, though he seems to have improved from that once he got to the moose, though he may still need a full season to break him of those habits in the long term. this season of him returning to the NCAA turned out to be pretty bad for his development in general, but hindsight is 20/20.

yeah when he was playing HS hockey in MN he was a total worker. When he was with the US team, he was a total worker. His freshman year... he was a worker at the Univ. of MN. This past season, he started to become "lazy" I think because he didn't have anyone to really push him and he was being given plenty of ice time no matter what he did. I think that's why you saw him work hard again once he got to the Moose. He knows that he can't just "phone it in" anymore and expect to get that kind of treatment from coaches and GM's.

A prime example of some one becoming "lazy" over time at the Univ. of MN was Vanek. His last year at the U was wrapped in total laziness. You could just see that he had become bored out there and didn't want to play "both ways" anymore especially since nobody was really "calling him out" on it. He goes to Buffalo/AHL and even though he has a great rookie season, he found himself getting benched during some games (by Ruff because he was still showing signs of being lazy and not playing both ways.) Look at him today... he's much better and that "lazy" tag vanished.

So in the case of Jordan... "lazy" isn't his usual "M.O." nor will you hear people call him that frequently (hopefully it ends with just the 1 season.) This is also why I'd like to see him have a full year in the AHL (with a few call-ups) before being a full-time NHLer. In the AHL he can have more ice time, still learn and experience the "pro level" and un-learn that laziness he picked up this past college year.

yeah when he was playing HS hockey in MN he was a total worker. When he was with the US team, he was a total worker. His freshman year... he was a worker at the Univ. of MN. This past season, he started to become "lazy" I think because he didn't have anyone to really push him and he was being given plenty of ice time no matter what he did. I think that's why you saw him work hard again once he got to the Moose. He knows that he can't just "phone it in" anymore and expect to get that kind of treatment from coaches and GM's.

A prime example of some one becoming "lazy" over time at the Univ. of MN was Vanek. His last year at the U was wrapped in total laziness. You could just see that he had become bored out there and didn't want to play "both ways" anymore especially since nobody was really "calling him out" on it. He goes to Buffalo/AHL and even though he has a great rookie season, he found himself getting benched during some games (by Ruff because he was still showing signs of being lazy and not playing both ways.) Look at him today... he's much better and that "lazy" tag vanished.

So in the case of Jordan... "lazy" isn't his usual "M.O." nor will you hear people call him that frequently (hopefully it ends with just the 1 season.) This is also why I'd like to see him have a full year in the AHL (with a few call-ups) before being a full-time NHLer. In the AHL he can have more ice time, still learn and experience the "pro level" and un-learn that laziness he picked up this past college year.

One cannot say that a kid who gets second at the combine is lazy. Sure he may have good physical genetics, but a guy who in ratio is stronger than (almost) any of his competetors doesn't have these things happen. If it does, he'll wash out. SIMPLE.

Thanks for your post. Informative.

One cannot say that a kid who gets second at the combine is lazy. Sure he may have good physical genetics, but a guy who in ratio is stronger than (almost) any of his competetors doesn't have these things happen. If it does, he'll wash out. SIMPLE.

Thanks for your post. Informative.

you can be strong as an ox, but if you are lazy on the ice due to being apathetic... you're still being lazy. Do I think he'll always be lazy? Heck no, that's why I stated how his play at the Univ of MN this past season is not his "normal" type of season (saying how he was a workhorse in every level he's been in till just this past NCAA college hockey season.)

Any chance the Wild could trade PMB and Shultz for Jordan? We'll throw in Sheppard as well. :P

you can be strong as an ox, but if you are lazy on the ice due to being apathetic... you're still being lazy. Do I think he'll always be lazy? Heck no, that's why I stated how his play at the Univ of MN this past season is not his "normal" type of season (saying how he was a workhorse in every level he's been in till just this past NCAA college hockey season.)

Any chance the Wild could trade PMB and Shultz for Jordan? We'll throw in Sheppard as well. :P

Haha, didn't catch that you were from Minnesota.

Good to hear such high praise from a guy who has seen him play a lot.

Haha, didn't catch that you were from Minnesota.

Good to hear such high praise from a guy who has seen him play a lot.

I was pissed that the Wild passed on him for Nick Leddy. Not because I didn't think Leddy would pan out, but because it's not every day you see an 8th grader make seniors in high school look like squirts. I was online the day he (Jordan) got drafted and started filling people in on who he was and his abilities.

It's going to be hard for me to not cheer for him when he's against the Wild.

I was pissed that the Wild passed on him for Nick Leddy. Not because I didn't think Leddy would pan out, but because it's not every day you see an 8th grader make seniors in high school look like squirts. I was online the day he (Jordan) got drafted and started filling people in on who he was and his abilities.

It's going to be hard for me to not cheer for him when he's against the Wild.

Which American great would you compare him to? Modano?

Which American great would you compare him to? Modano?

How about we just temper the Hall of Famer comparisons for a decade or so and see how she goes, m'kay? Thanks.

He's a speedy, shifty, undersized but with underestimated strength, playmaking forward with a tremendously accurate wrist shot. Think Tomas Plekanic for now with the physical build of a Theo Fleury.

Archived