The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

I agree there, Rodin needs to get out of Sweden.

Join the Moose, and make some noise. MG says this guy's got a lot to offer.

I disagree. I think staying in Brynas is a good decision. Developing one more year in a league against men, with more icetime this time around will be great for him. Plus, we already have a logjam of forwards over here. Next year, he'll come play for the Moose and be a primary call-up.

Rodin will probably stay in Sweden for another year as stated before transferring over to the moose.

Rodin will most likely play in the moose for a year before actually having a legit shot trying to crack the roster line up.

But Schroedoer on the other hand............ watch this kid make some sick plays within the preseason games.

Can't wait to see these guys in action in September!!!!

Diminutive Jordan Schroeder Hopes to Play Big Offensive Role for Canucks

jordanschroeder400.jpg

VANCOUVER, B.C. - Jordan Schroeder's physical stature hasn't changed much over the past year, but he has grown a lot as a hockey player.

"My development's huge," said Schroeder during the Vancouver Canucks prospects camp that concluded on the weekend. "I went to Manitoba and that was a big part of the way I've developed over the last year. I think it helped a lot."

Schroeder paid his way to last summer's camp in order to preserve his NCAA eligibility with the University of Minnesota Gophers. When his collegiate season ended, he signed an entry level contract with the Canucks, who drafted him in the first round in 2009 (22nd overall), and he turned pro with their AHL farm club, the Manitoba Moose, in March.

"Definitely, going into Manitoba last spring there, it helped me a lot," said Schroeder. "Coming into training camp next fall, it's huge for me and huge for my confidence."

It did not take long for Schroeder's self-image to improve at the pro level. With many Canucks personnel watching, he scored a goal on his first shift as the Moose were playing a road game in Abbotsford, located in the Fraser Valley within an hour's drive of Vancouver.

"Actually, it was just kind of a tip," said Schroeder. "It wasn't really a shot. It just happened. First shift, a minute into the game, your first pro game ... it was a pretty good feeling."

Now, he's giving Canucks management reason to feel better about improvement on the third and fourth lines, which have been cited as weak spots since they produced little offensively as the Canucks were ousted in the second round of the 2009-10 playoffs by eventual Stanley Cup champion Chicago.

Schroeder's contract gives general manager Mike Gillis some salary cap wiggle room -- if the young forward can grow his game some more between now and training camp. The 19-year-old Prior Lake, Minn., native also gives coach Alain Vigneault some flexibility, because he can play both centre and wing.

With Hart Trophy winner Henrik Sedin centering the top line, two-time Selke Award nominee Ryan Kesler locked into the No. 2 pivot spot and newcomer Manny Malhotra a good bet to roam the middle on the third, Schroeder's lone chance to play in the middle will come on the fourth line. But journeyman Alex Bolduc, who recently signed a new contract, is a strong candidate for that spot, and Cody Hodgson, the club's 2008 top draft choice, will get serious consideration for that position.

"I think they'll probably take a look at me at wing and centre and, hopefully, we'll see what happens there," said Schroeder, who played for the U.S. team that won a world junior title over Canada at Christmas time. "Being versatile, it helps me, obviously. I'm not the biggest guy so wing might be a better suit for me."

He is liberally listed at five-foot-eight and a half, but would give retired mighty might Theoren Fleury a good test in one-on-one basketball. However, Schroeder has the potential to make a large offensive contribution.

He scored nine goals in 11 regular season games with Manitoba and added six more in half a dozen playoff contests -- which should cause some concern for low-scoring wingers Rick Rypien and Tanner Glass, although the latter has just signed a new contract and avoided salary arbitration.

Gillis has pledged to add more size to the third and fourth line, but according to his mantra, everybody has a chance to compete for a spot, regardless of age or other limitations. Which adds intrigue to Schroeder's upcoming battle with Hodgson, who is of similar size and missed most of last season with a back injury suffered while weightlifting in the summer.

"Obviously, I'm not big," said Schroeder. "I'm not going to bring that physical role, but I've gotta bring offence to the team and be reliable on the defensive side. They're bringing some bigger guys and I'm just going to have to compete and outbattle them."

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/07/12/small-forward-schroeder-can-play-big-offensive-role/

Maybe the surgery removed 2 vertebrae? :shock:

Interesting how you imply there was a surgery, joke or not, I personally don't think it's out of the realm of possibility considering the time he was out. MAYBE the "rift" and coach V's remarks were all a smokescreen/bait'n'switch, to give the media a story, but not the real one, which would have spread like wild fire and hurt Cody's value in the long run. Or MAYBE I'm just very bored on a weird Monday afternoon and letting my imagination get the best of me...god I hate the offseason.

I like how they say Cody is of similar size at the end of that article...he's 6' 0" that's 4 inches on 5'8"

haha I noticed that too.

On a more related note, I'd love if both Schroeder and Hodgson could make the team but I highly doubt that'll happen

Interesting how you imply there was a surgery, joke or not, I personally don't think it's out of the realm of possibility considering the time he was out. MAYBE the "rift" and coach V's remarks were all a smokescreen/bait'n'switch, to give the media a story, but not the real one, which would have spread like wild fire and hurt Cody's value in the long run. Or MAYBE I'm just very bored on a weird Monday afternoon and letting my imagination get the best of me...god I hate the offseason.

If you'll read back in the Cody Hodgson thread you'll find that Cody had a cortisone shot...surgery was a last resort and he is now 2 months away from completing his full recovery program.

Prediction for Schroeder: He comes to camp and really impresses but because of forward depth management decides it would be best for him to spend a full year with the Moose. He goes to the Moose and gets converted to a full-time winger. He then becomes one of their top scorers, maybe he will get a few call ups if there is injuries to the top-six. Final points on the Moose 29 goals, 42 assists, 71 points in 70 games. Final points on the Canucks 3 goals, 3 assists in 10 games

i dont see schroeder making this team cause our top two lines are gud fourth line no third line we need a big hitter but if raymond demands too much then schroeder can have a chance making the team

<br />I like how they say Cody is of similar size at the end of that article...he's 6' 0&quot; that's 4 inches on 5'8&quot;<br />
<br /><br /><br /> both are small for wards and aren't guna help our team cause none of them play physical thats what we need

Prediction for Schroeder: He comes to camp and really impresses but because of forward depth management decides it would be best for him to spend a full year with the Moose. He goes to the Moose and gets converted to a full-time winger. He then becomes one of their top scorers, maybe he will get a few call ups if there is injuries to the top-six. Final points on the Moose 29 goals, 42 assists, 71 points in 70 games. Final points on the Canucks 3 goals, 3 assists in 10 games

That's sure quite specific lol

<br /><br /><br /> both are small for wardsforwards andthat aren't gunagoing to help our team because noneneither one of them play a physical game. tThat's what we need.

Fixed, and no, Cody is NOT a small forward, he's a medium/average forward, not even close to small. Oh and he takes the body when he needs to, but just because he doesn't go out looking for a monster hit, it doesn't mean he's not physical. I'd give you a negative if I had one.

Fixed, and no, Cody is NOT a small forward, he's a medium/average forward, not even close to small. Oh and he takes the body when he needs to, but just because he doesn't go out looking for a monster hit, it doesn't mean he's not physical. I'd give you a negative if I had one.

Gave him one for you avelanch :)

Archived