The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

ah thanks for the tid-bit, i appreciate the sincere answer. As a centremen, isnt his job to make the players around him better? he should have been able to elevate the top line regardless if he didnt win very many games. the gophers are a recognizable hockey program in the US that attracts top end talent. Are you saying they had ZERO talent to aid Shroeder?

Schroeder struggles when he dwarfs the IQ of his line mates. Not many players at the collegiate level can understand hockey at his level, so what we saw last year was a lot of missed scoring opportunities and some frustration on Schroeder's end because of it.

Schroeder's vision is what will set him apart from other players in the NHL. If you're good enough to think on his level, and open or have the ability to become open he'll find you. Don't be too surprised if he climbs his way up to the top two lines exponentially faster than expected.

ah thanks for the tid-bit, i appreciate the sincere answer. As a centremen, isnt his job to make the players around him better? he should have been able to elevate the top line regardless if he didnt win very many games. the gophers are a recognizable hockey program in the US that attracts top end talent. Are you saying they had ZERO talent to aid Shroeder?

He actually did improve the players around him. Ryan Stoa was on his line during Jordan's first year (Ryan's 3rd year) and doubled his output from his (Ryan's) first year (his 2nd year Stoa missed all but a couple games due to injury.) I will say that wasn't ALL Jordan's doing, but how often do you hear about a player missing a year and doubling their point production? Stoa (who's still fighting to get ice time) out produced Kyle Okposo (Islanders), Blake Wheeler (Bruins) and Alex Goligoski (Pens) when they were at the Univ. of MN. This past NHL season Stoa lit up the league with 12 games played... and 3 points. Meanwhile all 3 of the other players I mentioned were not only higher draft picks, but also aren't "fighting" for a roster spot (Goligoski is usually found on the 3rd line.) The other person on the Schroeder/Stoa line was a guy by the name of Jay Berriball, who went from being a "every other gamer" to a PPG player. Jay was supposed to stay with Jordan, but a season ending injury early in the season took care of that idea.

But you are talking about this past season and not the previous one. So we dive into the person playing with Jordan more often then not... Tony Lucia. He's the son of the coach, as I said before he's AT BEST a checking line player in american college hockey... and he was playing with the top player on the team. But here's the best part... Tony was good for a point every other game (which in college hockey isn't all that great. Not terrible... but you don't want that on your top line.) With Jordan, Tony suddenly improved from .500 to .711... that's a 21% increase for a guy who (again) isn't exactly a "scoring machine."

Now that all of that is out of the way (sorry this is so long, but there is a lot more then just #'s going on right now.) Yes, the Gophers are one of the "elite" US college hockey programs. But don't let that fool you into thinking they get to pick the top players every year to "reload" their team after every season. Ney, ney. Hockey... is very political in MN. WAAAAAaaaaaay more then it should be. On one side you have the fans/boosters wanting to win. On the other side you have the Univ. that also wants to win. Here's where it gets messy... both sides keep pulling for only the local kids to be on the roster. That means, more often then not if a kid is from Michigan, Mass, etc. they will be passed over for a Minnesota kid. Not always a bad idea... except both the boosters and the Athletic director (the Univ.) wants to bring in the "flashy" big name kids from around the state. End result... you get a "Rangers" type of team during the late 90s when they would sign every big name they could... yet still miss the playoffs. So here you have a team full of the top players from around the state, used to getting 50% of the ice time and being able to dance around people... going up against a team that is an actual TEAM and not just all flash and no grit. And then you have goalies... long story short, it's been over 20 years since the Gophers actually landed the top goalie in the state. This coming season will be the first time since the late 80s that has happened. And for good reason, goalies are usually left hung to dry and they are POORLY coached (to say the least) while at the Univ of MN (especially the past 10 years.)

So to ask why they didn't have more talent around him, isn't the right question.

you've got me excited haha. I am so happy with the our forward prospects, i feel like we have all world talents in CoHO and Shroeder. All time American points leader for WJC and a tournament all star more productive than Tavares(as well as every other player in the world). God i hope there skill levels translate seemlessly into the NHL.

you've got me excited haha. I am so happy with the our forward prospects, i feel like we have all world talents in CoHO and Shroeder. All time American points leader for WJC and a tournament all star more productive than Tavares(as well as every other player in the world). God i hope there skill levels translate seemlessly into the NHL.

you have no idea how upset I was at the Wild for passing on him! I saw him play as an 8th grader against other kids that were 18 and he made them look like pee-wees, it was SICK! And also keep in mind that he graduated early so that he could play for the Gophers. So he had just turned 18 at the start of the '08/'09 college hockey season (when he made Stoa look so good) so he was playing again he was playing against guys that are almost all older then him... in some cases 3-5 years older. Yet he still was able to set up Stoa time and time again.

Schroeder’s impact at Minnesota has been immediate and it can be seen in his numbers. He currently leads the nation in rookie scoring with 19 points (seven goals, 12 assists) and points per game by a rookie (1.36). His 12 assists also lead his team. Schroeder has appeared in all 14 games to date. In those 14 games, he has been held pointless in only three of them. He has already posted multiple points in six games. He is also one of Minnesota’s top players on face-offs, having won nearly 55 percent of his draws.

Schroeder centers one of the nation’s most lethal line combinations that also features juniors Ryan Stoa (COL) and Jay Barriball (STL). To date, the trio has accounted for 43 percent of Minnesota’s scoring with a combined 52 points. They have also accounted for half of the team’s entire goal scoring output with a combined 23 goals.

Thought i would re-affirm your post Zamboni from this HF article.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10761/2009_prospects_jordan_schroeder/

Lots of great info on here,thanks to all that have contributed something positive to the discussion.I'm still excited that we landed JS at last years draft and  based on how quickly he turned it around last season when he got good players around him,I think he's going to be a great NHL player.

Probably his ideal place in the lineup would be on the second line with Kesler and Raymond as all 3 have great speed,good offensive ability,and play a smart game so they'd be a two way threat.Hopefully they find chemistry as I think that would make a great line and the fact that JS is also a centre could give the line two different looks depending if him or Kesler lines up as the centre.It would also make it tougher for the other teams coaches and players to come up with a game plan to shut them down if they did that plus it's always good to have another player on the ice who can take draws if the other one gets waved out of the circle.

If Burrows is'nt ready to go at the start of the season,I'm picking JS to be in the lineup on opening night and I'm hoping he sticks with the second line and Burrows and Samuelsson can alternate beetween the 1st and 3rd lines,depending on who's clicking with the Sedins.

So not only has he been physically smaller but he has been younger nearly his whole career. Talk about hard knock life for this guy. MG sniped character with shroeder.

it would have been just SICK to see him play against people his own age in HS or college.

Here's a set of clips from the '06 Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament. Schroeder is seen at the 0:13 mark with a guy literally hanging over his back.

Schroeder's gonna be a beauty ! I have said it before and I'll say it again, he is built like Theoren Fleury and I do believe he'll produce like him at the NHL level as well. Low centre of gravity makes it hard to move him off the puck. His legs are like tree trunks. He has great vision, is a great passer and can snipe as well. He has amazing offensive instincts and a hunger to make things happen. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him pushing for the Calder Tophy this coming year. My point prediction is 62. I know it might sound too high but I really think he's ready to compete with men in the NHL and he will turn heads.

He is going to be our Theoren Fleury, you'll see...small yes , but DEADLY!

In which case MG had better have an 8 ball and a 24 of beer waiting in the dressng room before every game. He's a shrimp; one good solid NHL bodycheck will set him straight.

The only way I see Schroeder making the team is if either Burrows is injured to start the season or we don't add another 3rd winger.. or both, which I hope is not the case. But if so, a third line of:

Hodgson-Malhotra-Schroeder

I guess it would be alright for their development, playing on a two-way line with a good defensive center like Manny, but if that's the case I wouldn't expect more than 35-40p from either of them, which would be very respectable in that situation. I don't think you'll see any 60-70p seasons right out of the gate for them.. Colin Wilson and van Riemsdyk only had 35p each (or were on pace for in Wilson's case) and Tavares/Duchene only had about 55p each. 60-70 is pretty unrealistic.

However, if we do add a winger and Burrows isn't injured, Schroeder will be sent down.. and the line will probably be:

Tambellini-Perrault-Schroeder

I don't see Hodgson being sent down so he'll probably play 3rd line on Malhotra's wing, but if he is, I think the lineup will be:

Tambellini-Perrault-Oreskovich or Tambellini-Perrault-Desbiens

Schroeder-Hodgson-Desbiens or Olvecky-Hodgson-Schroeder

I don't think you'll see Hodgson and Schroeder play the top line for the Moose. Tambellini/Perrault/Oreskovich/Desbiens, despite their lesser offensive skill/potential, are still more physically and mentally mature than those two, but I think you'll see Hodgson/Schroeder overtake them by the end of the season. But everybody has to remember we're still talking about potential right now and not right-here-right-now ability.

you have no idea how upset I was at the Wild for passing on him! I saw him play as an 8th grader against other kids that were 18 and he made them look like pee-wees, it was SICK! And also keep in mind that he graduated early so that he could play for the Gophers. So he had just turned 18 at the start of the '08/'09 college hockey season (when he made Stoa look so good) so he was playing again he was playing against guys that are almost all older then him... in some cases 3-5 years older. Yet he still was able to set up Stoa time and time again.

That is exactly why he will be an NHLer one day and a great one at that :frantic:

Bigten network is showing a gophers game from 2009 right now. It's pretty clear that schroeder is the best player on the ice of the two teams. He's just so smart with/without the puck that you don't even notice how young and small compared to the other players he is. In the first period alone i counted 6 glorious chances that he set up, but the players just can't tap them in.

On a side not Patrick White looks horrible. *sigh*

Bigten network is showing a gophers game from 2009 right now. It's pretty clear that schroeder is the best player on the ice of the two teams. He's just so smart with/without the puck that you don't even notice how young and small compared to the other players he is. In the first period alone i counted 6 glorious chances that he set up, but the players just can't tap them in.

On a side not Patrick White looks horrible. *sigh*

Luckily Pat White became Christian Ehrhoff.

Archived