The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Bottom 6 are shaping up to look like

Torres Malhotra Hansen

Hordi/Rypien Perreault Glass Oreskivich etc

They have to beat out these guys plus veterens like Bolduc, Bliznak etc to play roles they might not be suited for at this time.

There MIGHT be a spot available on the top 6 with Burrows out. Will be interesting how they fill that role.

I don't see either Hodgson or Shroeder making the team to start the year. What happens as the season wears on is anybodies guess.

I see tambellini making the third line over hansen

Schroeder would be a good fit with Raymond and Kesler. Neither are really creative playmakers. Schroeder has similar speed but his intellengence and passing would be a perfect fit with Kesler and Raymond.

Hopefully, we get to see a line of Raymond Kesler Schroeder in preseason.

I'd also love to see a line of Hodgson - Schroeder.

Schroeder is more of a set up man, so he can only play at the level of his linemates; which in my opinion was not very good.

Sweatt has a ton of speed and seems to work hard, but his positioning was pretty poor. Schroeder would look for passes to him, but he was often not open. It's probably just a case of these guys not playing for so long though.

Lets wait until Schroeder plays with NHL calibre players like Kesler or Raymond before we make conclusions about where he'll be playing.

QFT

Schroeder's game is built around his intelligence, passing and quickness. Because of his size, he's not going to dominate a tourney playing 1-on-1 battles. He needs to play a 5 man possession game with smart players who have the same skill level as him. With the exception of Tanev, Rai, Tochkin and Connauton, none the Canucks prospects were thinking the game at anywhere near the same level.

Schroeder made the most of what he was given to work with. He was responsible for setting up the best scoring chances in each of the games he played. Clarke was fed by Schroeder before being stoned by Roy and Schroeder was robbed on the rebound. He made a beautiful pass to Tanev on his power-play goal in the San Jose game. He got a perfect tape to tape pass to Rai alone on the doorstep after creating a turnover against the Flames.

The play in the prospect tourney was sloppy at best. How many consecutive passes were made before a turnover/someone lost control? Two maybe three? It's hard to getting a lot of scoring chances when most everyone is trying to crash and bang. Schroeder felt the same way about the play in the event:

"It can get choppy out there," he said, referring to this week's rookie games. "There's a lot of hitting, a lot of fights, that type of thing. I get to play with the older guys now, more my style, more my speed and skill type of players.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/pick+Jordan+Schroeder+challenged+coach+heads+Canucks+main+camp/3536506/story.html#ixzz100DvvuLj

I'm going to reserve my judgment until I see him play with veteran players. I still have a gut feeling we'll see Jordan on the opening day roster. He's a precocious talent.

" I get to play with the older guys now, more my style, more my speed and skill"

Haha, what a burn!

"You prospects are a bunch of bums... I WANT TO PLAY WITH THE SEDINS!"

The word "humble" has never been a part of Schroeder's vernacular. It might be blunt but it is true.

The word "humble" has never been a part of Schroeder's vernacular. It might be blunt but it is true.

So, so true. He has a bit of a swagger about him that almost borders on arrogance. Another example was when he sprinted away from everyone at the Grouse Grind, while guys like Ellington helped a tired comrade up the mountain. Not a personality-defining move or anything, but it's an example.

I honestly don't care what he's like as long as he makes the Canucks a better team one day, but just calling it as I see it.

" I get to play with the older guys now, more my style, more my speed and skill"

Haha, what a burn!

Right there, he kind of establishes himself as a support player, doesn't he? Elevate your teammates, don't let them bring you down, for goodness sake!

He's confident in his abilities. Not a bad sign, as confidence goes a long way in this game. Add that to his on ice vision and speed and paired with two fast skilled linemates and he could really wow. I think kesler would be a perfect center for Schroeder, size speed grit to free up some room for jordans dangles, sammuelson being a great triggerman too, but let's no forget jordans wrister! If he can't find an open man he's not afraid to take it to the net either and go roof daddy short side...

Really? Jordan Schroeder out performed Hodgson in his stint in the Ahl. Schroeder is faster... and the kid has soft hands.

Jordan is just as impressive.

Really Sanford? You serious? Hodgson played in the AHL as a 19 year old while playing in the conference finals and in the AHL finals.. These games are much more difficult then the games Schroeder played in which were regular season games. He also played in it as a 20 year old. The comparison is not even fair, Also don't forget Hodgson played on the 4th line, due to the chemistry the team has established through their 1st 2 rounds, it was in the coaches best interest not to mess up any Chemistry.

Last years team was all over the place. It was a lot more easy to put Schroeder into a top 6 role right away, and don't forget , it was not playoff games.

He's confident in his abilities. Not a bad sign, as confidence goes a long way in this game.

There's a difference between being confident in one's ability and boasting about. Hodgson is confident in his abilities yet you will never him talk about his talents in an interview -- It's always team first. I hope some of the humility in the Canucks dressing room rubs off on Schroeder.

I don't think Schroeder is making the Canucks this year after seeing him play. He really doesn't seem to be showing up a whole lot..

Its only one game so we'll have to wait and see..but judging from watching him tonite...ya it seems that he really is a bit overwhelmed, IMO it looks like he underestimated the speed of an NHL caliber defence, u can tell that some of his passes were a bit slow getting to the target and were easily taken care of by the Flames so in that sense basically, he still needs to adjust to an NHL speed which i have no doubt he will. There was some good moments though, like the one on in the 3rd ( i think Desbiens fed him the pass) right on the crease for a one timer but Irving gloved it down. All in all, we gotta take his debut with a grain of salt, the Flames pretty much iced 80% of their opening day roster tonite

Its only one game so we'll have to wait and see..but judging from watching him tonite...ya it seems that he really is a bit overwhelmed, IMO it looks like he underestimated the speed of an NHL caliber defence, u can tell that some of his passes were a bit slow getting to the target and were easily taken care of by the Flames so in that sense basically, he still needs to adjust to an NHL speed which i have no doubt he will. There was some good moments though, like the one on in the 3rd ( i think Desbiens fed him the pass) right on the crease for a one timer but Irving gloved it down. All in all, we gotta take his debut with a grain of salt, the Flames pretty much iced 80% of their opening day roster tonite

Desbiens didn't play in Calgary. Schroeder's biggest challenge will be finding open ice. Who he plays with and their style will make all the difference. His effectiveness shone thru on the PP. He is a playmaker, has his head up looking for the play. We will see in later games with other linemates whether his game can be more effective. Players like him seem to adapt quickly. My impression was he will be with the Moose. It becomes a numbers game very quickly as open spots are limited to maybe 4 forward positions. I really liked Bliznik. He is better with the puck than Perrault.

I saw some great passes from Schroeder but he didn't have a great game. I'd like to see him play with Raymond and Kesler.

There's a difference between being confident in one's ability and boasting about. Hodgson is confident in his abilities yet you will never him talk about his talents in an interview -- It's always team first. I hope some of the humility in the Canucks dressing room rubs off on Schroeder.

Cockiness and selfishness don't necessarily go hand in hand. The way I see it, cockiness is fine- even beneficial- as long as the compete level matches the level of cockiness. And there is nothing more agitating than cockiness.

Haha, what a burn!

He saying that because for most of his hockey career thus far, he has competed against and played with older players. He's not used to playing with players his own age. He's also played very well against older players. We'll see what happens.

Really Sanford? You serious? Hodgson played in the AHL as a 19 year old while playing in the conference finals and in the AHL finals.. These games are much more difficult then the games Schroeder played in which were regular season games. He also played in it as a 20 year old. The comparison is not even fair, Also don't forget Hodgson played on the 4th line, due to the chemistry the team has established through their 1st 2 rounds, it was in the coaches best interest not to mess up any Chemistry.

Last years team was all over the place. It was a lot more easy to put Schroeder into a top 6 role right away, and don't forget , it was not playoff games.

err what?

first of all, Jordan is still 19 years old until the 29th in this month... Where did you get the idea of him playing in the AHL as a 20 years old?

secondly, he scored 6 points in 6 games in the playoff last season with the Moose, so wtf are you refering to when you claim they aren't playoff games?

Really Moneypuckoverlord? You serious?

err what?

first of all, Jordan is still 19 years old until the 29th in this month... Where did you get the idea of him playing in the AHL as a 20 years old?

secondly, he scored 6 points in 6 games in the playoff last season with the Moose, so wtf are you refering to when you claim they aren't playoff games?

Really Moneypuckoverlord? You serious?

:P that's what I was thinking..

Archived