The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

<br />he still has to adjust from the NCAA, it's probably going to be a longer road for him , but we don't need to have him ASAP.  just like Gnickers stated.<br />

I figured NCAA would have prepared Schroeder better because he was used to playing against bigger and older players. So far he seems to be having a tough time, although I do remember him being very streaky for the Gophers too.

I figured NCAA would have prepared Schroeder better because he was used to playing against bigger and older players. So far he seems to be having a tough time, although I do remember him being very streaky for the Gophers too.

True,

but he was also playing in a bigger rink most nights

&lt;br /&gt;True,&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;but he was also playing in a bigger rink most nights&lt;br /&gt;
Yea good point. He definetly would have benefited with that extra space.

I guess it's just a matter of him getting used to having less time and space with the puck. When he does get some room though, you can see the skill pouring out of him. And man does he have a wicked wrister!

Honestly I dont see a huge concern for Schroeder's lack of production in the last while, hes adjusting to a longer schedule where he has to bring the same intensity and game prep every night which is harder when your used to play only 30+ games instead of a full year of 80. Hes just trying to find consistency which right now is an issue but as the year goes on he will learn to be more consistent on a regular basis inorder to become a big contributer in the NHL. This goes for the same of Hodgson, Shirokov ( although he has been through it once so he should know better) and other rookies on our team. Everyone will have their growing pains and right now its Jordan's going through his so be patient, he will break through soon.

The game in the AHL has twice the intensity, compete level and skill than the NCAA where Schreds used to play so give him time to adjust his game, Hodgson had to do the same and he was out a full hockey year and took him 6 games before he broke the ice.

Posted on: Saturday, November 20th, 2010

By Gary Lawless, Winnipeg Free Press

Jordan Schroeder found himself in the difficult position of being an offensive player with just one goal. That's an uncomfortable spot. The kind that limits job security. Consider Schroeder is a little man trying to find his way in a big man's game and the lack of scoring punch had to be eating away at him. His job is to create offence and score goals. He's not gonna earn his keep as a checker, so he better kick in with the goals.

The rookie Moose scored his second and third goals of the season in the third period Friday night to give his club a 3-1 win over the visiting Rockford IceHogs at the MTS Centre.

The little fist pump Schroeder gave after the first goal might as well have been a sigh of relief.

"That was awesome, you have to credit to (Jeff Tambellini) Tamby and Bliz (Mario Bliznak). We were making plays and not scoring and then one went in," said Schroeder. "We were close the last couple of games and finally one went in." The crafty centre took the puck off the wall on the power play and drilled a slapshot from the top of the circle that eluded Hogs goalie Hannu Toivonen at 7:02 of the final frame for a 1-0 Moose lead. Schroeder cemented his spot as first star on the night with a second marker at 13:00 of the third period as grabbed a rebound and circled behind the net to stuff the puck under Toivonen.

"That's my job and what I need to bring to the team," said Schroeder, Vancouver's first-round pick in the 2009 NHL entry draft.

"Hopefully we can keep it going. One goal through 16 games, you start gripping your stick. I just let it rip and it went in."

Vancouver's other highly touted first-rounder, Cody Hodgson, has been hot of late and leads the Moose in goals scored. That can't have been lost on Schroeder.

"I knew my time was gonna come. I thought I was playing well and getting opportunities. Cody's been playing well too and we have some good chemistry going with our lines," said Schroeder. "If he scores or if I score, we're both happy for each other. We're always talking about how to make each other better, so this is good."

Manitoba's other goal came off the stick of Tambellini, who now has five goals in seven games with the Moose.

Tambellini has 101 goals in 176 AHL games and continues to show prowess as an elite shooter at this level. Tambellini also had an assist and Bliznak picked up a pair of helpers as well.

EDIT : I didn't like the writer bashing Schroeder about his size. What he said was true, but it read pretty poorly.

it's also not an accurate description of his second goal. His original shot trickled through the goalie, as Schroeder was circling behind the net, he saw it trickle though into the crease behind the goalie and he was able to smack it into the open net. He didn't do a wrap around, as the writer described.

it's also not an accurate description of his second goal. His original shot trickled through the goalie, as Schroeder was circling behind the net, he saw it trickle though into the crease behind the goalie and he was able to smack it into the open net. He didn't do a wrap around, as the writer described.

I can see where you'd mistake the motion for carrying the puck.

It's important to note that this is the first time the rookies have been away from home, and on their own with no one to answer to. They have to adjust off the ice side just as much as on the ice.

Jordan has been away from home for a while now. He left high school early to head to the USHL and the US team in Michigan. After that he was at the Univ. of MN which isn't exactly "next door" to his folks place (he's closer to downtown Mpls and St. Paul then his parents place.) So that argument is rather weak (no offense)

Jordan has been away from home for a while now. He left high school early to head to the USHL and the US team in Michigan. After that he was at the Univ. of MN which isn't exactly "next door" to his folks place (he's closer to downtown Mpls and St. Paul then his parents place.) So that argument is rather weak (no offense)

I'm sorry, but I lived at SFU and in burnaby while in university and my parents were in Seattle, it was a huge difference from when I moved out to Chicago on my own after university. Besides, Jordan was staying with borders while in the USHL and US Team and living on campus as the big man on campus. it's a owrld of difference from heading out to Winnipeg and getting setup on your own. He had his parents helping him all along the way, until now. and it seems like he's turning it around now, so adjustment time may be over (plus he has better linemates).

I'm sorry, but I lived at SFU and in burnaby while in university and my parents were in Seattle, it was a huge difference from when I moved out to Chicago on my own after university. Besides, Jordan was staying with borders while in the USHL and US Team and living on campus as the big man on campus. it's a owrld of difference from heading out to Winnipeg and getting setup on your own. He had his parents helping him all along the way, until now. and it seems like he's turning it around now, so adjustment time may be over (plus he has better linemates).

But if it's your "first time away from home" then you see more of the "shock" factor. Sure going from Univ of MN to Winnipeg was probably different, but not nearly as different as you might assume only because the Univ. of MN is like another city within a city. And even though he was the "top athlete" on campus, it's very easy to not be noticed in a student population of 30,000+

I think it probably has more to do with adjusting to the AHL and his linemates then moving up to Canada.

(side note; speaking of moving up to Canada... living in Minnesota is probably the closest thing to living in Canada as you can get. :P )

But if it's your "first time away from home" then you see more of the "shock" factor. Sure going from Univ of MN to Winnipeg was probably different, but not nearly as different as you might assume only because the Univ. of MN is like another city within a city. And even though he was the "top athlete" on campus, it's very easy to not be noticed in a student population of 30,000+

I think it probably has more to do with adjusting to the AHL and his linemates then moving up to Canada.

(side note; speaking of moving up to Canada... living in Minnesota is probably the closest thing to living in Canada as you can get. :P )

except being in university, he still had everything handled for him, housing, food, etc. he still had no responsibility. it's a huge upgrade in responsibility when moving away.

As a pro hockey player Jordan's responsibility is to focus on playing.

He has loads of dough,loads of time and one purpose.

It is not like when I loaded up my 65 Oldsmobile and drove 1,200 kms to Alberta at 17 years of age to find a job somewhere,anywhere.

I had no family there and limited money to make it.

Pro players are molly coddled to the nth degree.

Please.Are you for real?

Archived