The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but journalist Gare Joyce, who also wrote the book Future Greats and Heartbreaks has this to say about Schroeder and the reason he fell to 22:

"Asked what his weaknesses were, he said he didn't have any. Said he couldn't really think of anything he needed to work on. Straight-faced.

Asked who was going to be on his line at UMinn next season, he said that he had already told the coach who he'd play with.

He was critical of team-mates and coaches and blamed the U.S.'s failure to win at the under-20s on everyone else except himself.

Those are just a few examples. I could go on but won't. If you don't get the idea, then you never will."

LINK: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=20113...ce#post20113837

Joyce says these were Schroeder's comments in one of his combine interviews. He's usually a very reliable journalist, but I find it somewhat hard to believe that the Canucks, who have been preaching the character types, would draft Schroeder if he apparently is that full of himself. I've already talked to some people close to Schroeder and will continue to do some digging, so stay tuned for that information.

Interesting. That was one of the best reads of my life and his comments certainly indicate something. However, he's always been a big fish in a small pond.....now he's going to be a small fish for forseeable future. I think it will do some good.

Interesting. That was one of the best reads of my life and his comments certainly indicate something. However, he's always been a big fish in a small pond.....now he's going to be a small fish for forseeable future. I think it will do some good.

Those comments make jordan seem modest compared to evander kane.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/...7735/story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/...5707/story.html

“I always love to score goals,” Kane told TSN. “I want to get as many as possible. I’m hoping to be a 50-goal guy one day.”

If it sounds like Kane thinks his time with the Giants is nearing an end, it’s because he does.

“Yeah, I do,” said Kane. “I think I’m only going to continue to get bigger and stronger and hopefully by the summer I’ll have put on enough weight and I think with my skill level I should be successful.”

"Not being white is a challenge in itself," Kane says. "Much as people don't want to believe that, I think it is. In minor hockey, there was definitely some adversity. I had to earn everything I got. I'm a stronger person for it.

"Just growing up, I always wanted to be the best player I could be and better than other players. It's going to be no different as I continue."

Headlined by 2007 third-pick Kyle Turris of New Westminster and 2004 fourth pick Andrew Ladd of Maple Ridge, there has been a dam-burst of B.C. players drafted into the NHL this decade. But none in the top five from within Vancouver city limits since Beck, another east-end kid, went second 22 years ago.

"To be honest, I've always expected this from myself," Kane says. "I don't know if anyone else did, but this was what I wanted to do. This was my plan right from the beginning."

I'm not too worried about Joyce's report.

All other indications say he is a great leader and good teammate. If he had any problems with his coach we would have heard about it. He is young there is nothing to worry about.

Telling his coach who he is going to play with could just as much mean the same thing as telling his coach who he would like to play with...

I'm not too worried about Joyce's report.

All other indications say he is a great leader and good teammate. If he had any problems with his coach we would have heard about it. He is young there is nothing to worry about.

Telling his coach who he is going to play with could just as much mean the same thing as telling his coach who he would like to play with...

"I" perspective bud. A lot more fun if you run it that way around here.

Ummm. Wrong. Age has nothing to with playing in the AHL, at least when you're 18. Haven't you people learned this yet? I read that Everett owns his rights, and that would be the reason he can't play for the Moose. An agreement between the CHL(?) and AHL to keep talent from leaving too early. Wetcoaster will be able to tell you the rule.

Actually no, you are wrong. You have to be 20 years old to play in the AHL. There are exceptions, which is why Hodgson was able to play with the moose this year, but, for example, Hodgson cannot play for the moose next year because he will only be 19.

Actually no, you are wrong. You have to be 20 years old to play in the AHL. There are exceptions, which is why Hodgson was able to play with the moose this year, but, for example, Hodgson cannot play for the moose next year because he will only be 19.

You don't have to be 20. The original poster is correct and you're wrong. Nikita Filatov played in the ahl last year as an 18 year old. Age has nothing to do with it and it's all about whether a chl team has a player under contract and that's when they have to be 20 to play in the ahl. The rule is in place to protect the chl, so all nhl teams don't stash all the chl's star players in the ahl with no intention of using them in the nhl. All chl players can go to the ahl once their team's season is completed, which is why hodgson was allowed to play in the ahl this year.

Everett does own jordan's rights, however, I'm not sure if he would be forced to go there if he left minny and didn't make the nhl or cause he has no contract with them, if he could bypass them and go to the ahl. I'd have to look that up. My initial guess is that he could go to the ahl cause a chl team had filatov's rights last year and he could have gone either to the chl or ahl and columbus chose the ahl for him.

Competitive nature and confidence I understand. But when you've got kids coming out and criticizing their teammates and coaches then I think there's a problem, no matter what you're age. Again, I don't know if that's what really happened or not.

Just like the rest of you, I'm ecstatic that Schroeder is now a Vancouver Canuck. I think it was an excellent selection. Even so, I'm still going to talk to some people who will give us a better idea the type of person Schroeder really is.

Its interesting the link from hfboards is a topic on the Edmonton Oilers section of their draft day thread. The entire thread has an Oilers slanted perception, and to me it just seems like jealousy.

While it is very likely teams were scared by his size, and some of his interviews, I for one know that Gillis wouldnt have drafted him if he thought it was an issue. I also imagine that the scouts saw a ton of him at Minnesota this winter, so they obviously have seen his top end talents.

But again what would you expect Schroeder to say when asked of his weaknesses, uh Im pretty small, uuhhh and yeah...It was evident he was the best player for team USA, and arguable that for Minnesota.....The kid is about as talented as you would want in a 1st rounder.....for our CDC infatuation with Cody Hodgson, I already think Schroeder possesses a better shot and is a better skater.

The combination of Schroeder-Hodgson is going to be up there with Toews-Kane in very short order.

Anyone else stoked that we will have hopefully have some high end talent at the World Juniors again, with Schroeder for USA, and hopefully Rodin and Andersson for Sweden.

Its interesting the link from hfboards is a topic on the Edmonton Oilers section of their draft day thread. The entire thread has an Oilers slanted perception, and to me it just seems like jealousy.

While it is very likely teams were scared by his size, and some of his interviews, I for one know that Gillis wouldnt have drafted him if he thought it was an issue. I also imagine that the scouts saw a ton of him at Minnesota this winter, so they obviously have seen his top end talents.

But again what would you expect Schroeder to say when asked of his weaknesses, uh Im pretty small, uuhhh and yeah...It was evident he was the best player for team USA, and arguable that for Minnesota.....The kid is about as talented as you would want in a 1st rounder.....for our CDC infatuation with Cody Hodgson, I already think Schroeder possesses a better shot and is a better skater.

The combination of Schroeder-Hodgson is going to be up there with Toews-Kane in very short order.

Anyone else stoked that we will have hopefully have some high end talent at the World Juniors again, with Schroeder for USA, and hopefully Rodin and Andersson for Sweden.

Well said.

Also, Hodgson has enough character to share with Schroeder if need. :P

As for the WJHC, I think Rodin will be there, but Andersson might have to wait till the 2011 tourney. But alas, as always, time will tell.

Isn't the reason why Filatov played in the AHL, because nobody owned his junior rights?

He was drafted first overall by Sudbury, but playing in the AHL was better for his development.

The 20-year-old rule only applies to North American CHLers

If schroeder pays to go to camp this coming training camp is it against the rules to stay at teammates place or does he have to provide his own accomadations? What exactly does he have to pay for? Just the plane ticket?

Housing, food, travel expenses etc. In no way can the Canucks pay for anything he does.

Not sure about the rules on staying at a friend's place.

It is exciting though with hodgson being the comparable to toews and schroeder to Kane.

Hodgson may not be as talented but his intangibles will probably make him the better player all around just like how ppl perceive toews. And obviously the same thing about raw talent can be said about schroeder and Kane. Although all indications point to schroeder actually being defensively responsible. The future looks bright :)

Well thought out.

I'm saying it again, I personally believe Kane will bust or just not be as good as everyone makes him out to be. He does not impress me at all

I don't think he will, but he probably has the best chance to out of the top 10. I watched plenty of Giants games this year, and plenty of his goals were scored on rebounds and just bad goaltending. The Giants are also one of the top teams in the CHL, so he could easily put up a lot of points.

will he be able to tryout for the canucks? or he has to go to university or something

I think I posted this last year in a thread about Patrick White.

1 - Trying out for the Canucks means he has to pay for housing wherever the Canucks are having training camp. He also has to pay out of his own pocket to get there, as well as food, equipment sharpening etc. The same applies to any player who is on a NCAA roster, or is going to join a NCAA team.

2 - Travel expenses if he get dressed for an pre-season exhibition match not in GM Place.

3 - U of Minny will have started school by then, and will be around midterms, and I think their hockey season will have started as well.

Archived