The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Schroeder is just one of many young prospects who appear to be part of a reinforcement / re-tooling of our current roster in the coming years. The Canucks have their core signed, in large part, for the next 4 years or so. The likes of Hodgson, Erixon, Parent, Schneider, Rodin, Sweatt, Volpotti, Tanev, Lack, Archibald, Schroeder, Connaughton, Jansen, Sauve will be stepping in to replace aging players and players whose contracts have expired and are not re-signed.

Salo and Sammy could be through after the coming season. They need to be replaced. Raymond is a question mark that may need to be replaced. Marco Sturm hasn't had his chance yet, but, as an aging, injury-prone veteran, he may not be back.

I know 30 isn't old, but it needs to be said that Lu, Burr, Manny (and his vision), KB3, Alberts, Bomber and the Sedins are all 30+, as well. They don't need replacing now, but will possibly play a lesser role in the coming seasons.

MG has done an admirable job of building depth throughout the organization. That depth is not just for now, it is for the future, as well. Don't rush the kids. The Canucks are a tough squad to crack right now. Their time will come to play, whether it's in Vancouver or elsewhere.

towel.gif2e6c8lc.png

i think if we are wanting to mimic detroit for a model of consistency, we need to let those guys do their things in the minors. they can't develop with 5-9 minutes of game time in the nhl, playing only in a defense first position. we always seem to want to rush people in but jordan is better to play 20 min of even, pp, pk, in chicago and round his game out. same could be said for hodgson. if either(goes for any prospect) is or shows they are better than what we have on the top 2 lines then you hope that they will get the chance based on performance and not draft position.

i think if we are wanting to mimic detroit for a model of consistency, we need to let those guys do their things in the minors. they can't develop with 5-9 minutes of game time in the nhl, playing only in a defense first position. we always seem to want to rush people in but jordan is better to play 20 min of even, pp, pk, in chicago and round his game out. same could be said for hodgson. if either(goes for any prospect) is or shows they are better than what we have on the top 2 lines then you hope that they will get the chance based on performance and not draft position.

Not to mention he was benched in the Moose playoff games. Some anyway. He would be obliterated in the NHL as it stands.

Schroeder more prepared to showcase his game

While other NHL clubs let him tumble in the first round because of size concerns, the Canucks snapped up scoring forward Jordan Schroeder based on pedigree at 22nd overall at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.After an underwhelming NHL training camp a year ago and rough first year as a pro with the Manitoba Moose, Schroeder, 20, feels he's ready to validate the Canucks' faith in him.

"I learned a lot this past year about what it takes and all the hard work you have to put in on and off the ice," said Schroeder on Friday at Rogers Arena, as the Canucks prospects reported for physical testing prior to heading to Penticton for a tournament with four other NHL treams' prospects that begins Sunday and goes through Thursday.

"It's a big jump from college to pro. The amount of games and being able to keep your body nutritioned well, things you have to play close attention to. It's more mental than anything else."

Small, at 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds, but highly skilled, Schroeder had a strong first taste of the pro game when he joined the Manitoba Moose after his college season finished in 2010. He scored 4-5-9 in 11 games and then added 3-3-6 in six playoff games – including a hat-trick.

Schroeder scored a highlight reel goal in an early preseason game, snapping one into the top corner, but was scoreless in three prospect tournament games. He was abruptly shipped to the AHL Moose early in the NHL preseason.

The message from Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault was clear: Schroeder still has a lot of work to do on his game.

"I think he needs to work on quite a few things," Vigneault said at the time. "He is a guy who has got skill, has got speed, but he has to use it more at both ends of the rink. He'll become a better offensive player once he learns to track the puck quicker, get back quicker, create those turnovers and then use his speed to go on the counter-attack."

Schroeder had a slow start with the Moose but was starting to score by December when he suffered a high ankle sprain that sidelined him for six weeks. He finished the season with 10 goals and 28 points in 61 games.

A scorer at every level he's played at – he played on three U.S. world junior teams and was a WCHA rookie of the year while at University of Minnesota — Schroeder was frustrated he couldn't find his game.

"Sure, I wanted to go in there and try to dominate and it obviously didn't happen," he said. "You're wondering what's going wrong. Why am I not scoring or producing points? I think I found something out this past year and over the summer about what I need to do to produce more and be more effective."

He knows he needs to work on parts of his game to become a NHL player.

"My game definitely has to change," said Schroeder, who also ramped up his conditioning this summer. "I want to keep setting up plays and scoring, but I know I've got to add other aspects – winning one on one battles, going into the corners, going into the dirty areas.

"I'm looking forward to this camp."

http://blogs.theprov...wcase-his-game/

Just posting a few good readings under some prospects threads for pre-game excitement.

I thought Jordan showed the most of any player last night. He was the fastest player on the ice and you can just tell with higher skilled players around him he would light it up like he did for USA at WJC.

Archi was the best player of the night, followed by Jensen and then Schroeder and sweatt.

Bar none it was Polasek that was the best player of the night.

He was the only player that actually won something and got me off my seat. Great one punch KO to the Oilers captain.

Then followed by Archibald, Jensen, Schroeder and Rodin.

Bar none it was Polasek that was the best player of the night.

He was the only player that actually won something and got me off my seat. Great one punch KO to the Oilers captain.

Then followed by Archibald, Jensen, Schroeder and Rodin.

outside of the punch that I heard- nay, felt- all the way out here in Chicago, Polasek sucked last night. a team worst -3 on the night and flubbed passes/missed coverage abounding.

Also I'd put Sauve and Connauton ahead of both Schroeder and Rodin, as far as performers last night go (i forgot to mention them in my post above because I was thinking forwards only)

outside of the punch that I heard- nay, felt- all the way out here in Chicago, Polasek sucked last night. a team worst -3 on the night and flubbed passes/missed coverage abounding.

Also I'd put Sauve and Connauton ahead of both Schroeder and Rodin, as far as performers last night go.

LOL yeah I just loved the one punch knock out because it was the only thing I really cheered about. Can't believe Teubert came back to keep playing though in a 7-2 blowout situation. The kid's got heart.

I agree Sauve was tight. He looked like a man among boys out there last night. So poised.

To me, Connauton ain't worth noticing unless he puts up the points. I could see that his defense improved, but he needs to be scoring on top of that type of defensive awareness in order for me to say that he had a good game.

LOL yeah I just loved the one punch knock out because it was the only thing I really cheered about. Can't believe Teubert came back to keep playing though in a 7-2 blowout situation. The kid's got heart.

I agree Sauve was tight. He looked like a man among boys out there last night. So poised.

To me, Connauton ain't worth noticing unless he puts up the points. I could see that his defense improved, but he needs to be scoring on top of that type of defensive awareness in order for me to say that he had a good game.

Yeah, i was impressed by teubert too. and we are obviously in pure agreement with sauve. :towel:

As far as Connauton goes he had to cover for corrado's miscues all night, and he still hit the net 3 times (most of any d-man from either team) and i swear he took a prospect's foot clean off with a big one timer. I don't know which Oiler it hit, but I guarantee he's walking funny today. It's a little over-demanding to expect a d-man to get a point a game, or to say that he needs to score to have a good game, especially when he really did play so well and has come so far.

But he's stupid too. The game means nothing and he's guaranteed a spot at main camp.

He got rocked and could easily have a concussion that he won't detect until he gets rocked again like Crosby.

But he's stupid too. The game means nothing and he's guaranteed a spot at main camp.

He got rocked and could easily have a concussion that he won't detect until he gets rocked again like Crosby.

i think it surprised him more than anything. he didn't look shakey/wobbly/dazed getting up and off the ice.

Who else was cheering everytime you saw Schroeder back checking?? I think things will look up for him if he keeps that up!

LOL yeah I definitely noticed the effort he was putting in on back checking - skating so hard to get back into our zone.

Really liked what I saw from him. He looks like he's ready to take on more responsibilities on both ends of the ice and really play a good, solid 2-way game now.

LOL yeah I definitely noticed the effort he was putting in on back checking - skating so hard to get back into our zone.

Really liked what I saw from him. He looks like he's ready to take on more responsibilities on both ends of the ice and really play a good, solid 2-way game now.

You can see that MacT went to him a lot at near the end of the 2nd and the rest of the 3rd period. He just slowed the game down for the Canucks and got there game going again. I think he did well.

Schroeder's been much more noticeable this year because of his hustle and determination all over the ice, backchecking and making good defensive plays in addition to battling it out in the corners. He knows that this is what he has to do to become more effective, as a smaller guy, so it's wonderful to see him doing it.

Hope he keeps it up and finally starts dominating out there on the scoresheet. Looked real good yesterday and had some real good chances to score too. He seems to be only getting better and better with each game. Also it'd be great if they could keep him with one of Archibald or Jensen to give him some space to work with in the offensive zone.

Schroeder took reality check in stride

PENTICTON — A year ago Jordan Schroeder made it to Canucks main camp, but didn’t last long.He played in one of the initial split-squad games against Calgary, but although he scored a top-shelf ­beauty against Anaheim, a few days later, Schroeder was abruptly sent to the minors.

Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault wasn’t shy about why the team’s 2009 first-round pick was re-assigned.

“I think he needs to work on quite a few things,” said Vigneault, referring to the laundry list of skills that ­comprise the pro game.

Schroeder remembers the ­reality check well and wants to show the team that he’s done his work and things will be different this year when he gets another shot at main camp this weekend at Rogers ­Arena.

“That was disappointing,” said Schroeder — a small, 5-foot-9, 178 pounds — but highly skilled ­forward who’s been a scorer all his career.

“I’ll never forget that feeling. I don’t want that happening again this year.”

Schroeder, a three-time U.S. world junior team member, feels a year in the AHL and summer of hard work has broadened his game.

“I really tried to show a different side of my game, being more solid defensively, winning puck battles, just constantly moving and working,” said the Prior Lake, Minn., native who turns 21 on Sept. 29.

“Points will come, but as long as I’m working, good things will ­happen. Growing up, you could get by with some things but last year you realize what you have to do out there. I’m better for it.”

One of the areas that ­Schroeder concentrated on this summer was raising his conditoning level. Canucks assistant GM Laurence ­Gilman said Schroeder finished in the top echelon of the prospects group in fitness testing before camp, and it’s showed.

“Compared to his performance last season with the ­Manitoba Moose, he clearly has come to camp ­having worked very hard in the summer,” said Gilman. “He’s got a jump in his step we didn’t see last year. He seemed to be playing with a lot more enthusiasm and ­confidence.”

Schroeder said he’s also noticed the difference.

“Just to have your legs throughout each shift and throughout the game to be able to keep my speed up, because that’s what I have to do to be successful,” he said. “I was in ­pretty good shape last year, but I think when you come in, you ­realize where it has to be. It was my first camp, I had no idea. You see how hard you have to work, so this ­summer I really put in the time and effort to get there.”

Schroeder, who played in two of the four games here finished with a goal and, impressively, managed to be a plus-1 in the opening 7-2 loss to Edmonton. He’s played centre in both games, although he was moved to wing in the AHL last season.

“I’ve always been a centre, so it’s natural to me,” he said. “Last year was an adjustment for me, but I think I learned a lot about the ­position and I’ll play where ever they want.”

Free agent goaltender Karel St. Laurent, the Montreal native who played for BCHL’s Surrey Eagles last season, put in another strong game in the Canucks’ 2-0 loss to ­Winnipeg’s prospects on Thursday and moved on to main camp.

Canucks minor league coach Craig MacTavish gave St. Laurent high praise for his work in the tourney.

“I felt really comfortable with him in the net,” said MacTavish.

“Nothing went through him and there were tons of jam plays in both of the games he played and he ­really held up well.”

jjamieson@theprovince.com

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Schroeder+took+reality+check+stride/5410392/story.html#ixzz1Y5TaITR0

Canucks prospect getting back up to speed

PENTICTON, B.C. - There's nothing like a high ankle sprain to slow down a speedster. Just ask Jordan Schroeder.The Vancouver Canucks' 22nd overall pick in 2009, who's known for his skating, didn't use the injury as an excuse when he spoke about his mediocre performance in the AHL last season. But he admitted things may have been different if not for the mid-season ailment.

"You never know how the season would have went if that didn't happen. But it did, and that's part of the game," Schroeder said this week at the Young Stars tournament in Penticton, B.C. "It's not fun, especially when you're in there recovering every day while all the guys are out on the ice having fun playing games."

After suffering the sprain in a Dec. 10 game with the Manitoba Moose, the forward missed five weeks of action and 16 games in total. He came back to record just five goals and 10 assists in the remaining 36 games and finished his first pro campaign with 28 points in 61 games.

Criticism followed but the 21-year-old American has taken it all in stride.

"Last year was a learning experience," he said. "There's ups and downs and I learned a lot about what it takes to be a pro and I've definitely grown from it. I do set high standards for myself and if I don't achieve those high standards, I am disappointed in myself."

Schroeder also understands the pressure that comes from playing for a team in a rabid hockey market.

"I stay away from reading all you (media) guys," he said with a laugh. "There's definitely more of a spotlight on you if you're a higher pick, but I try to block that out as much as possible. It could get in your head. That's why I focus on myself and focus on being a great teammate."

That starts with improving his game, he said, especially on the defensive side. Schroeder finished last season a minus-7.

"I'm really working on winning the one-on-one battles in the corner," said the five-foot-nine, 180-pounder. "I'm not the biggest guy out there so I really need to focus on using my stick and speed.

"For now, I just want to finish this tournament strong and hopefully get a chance to go to main camp and prove myself."

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/14/canucks-prospect-getting-back-up-to-speed

Archived