The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Dan Russell says that he stood next to Schroeder and he's 5'9" himself, and he quote "towered" over Schroeder.

Then again, Dan Russell doesn't have a clue, and he's a typical Bullshytter media punk.

pretty sure brook ward said that not dan russel he been gone for a while

So Schroeder should get the first line center role this year. Stoa's off to Colorado leaving the vacancy. Lets see if the reigning college rookie of the year can take it up another notch.

Hope he can crack 55+

He should have it in the bag, and I just hope he has another good year. Doesn't that mean White gets bumped up since Stoa is leaving?

He should have it in the bag, and I just hope he has another good year. Doesn't that mean White gets bumped up since Stoa is leaving?

Hobey Baker Award Season? If he can add to the season he had last year, it's not out of the question.

Here's a list of the past winners:

Hobey Baker Winners

Paul Kariya has to be the most notable name. And some of the more recent winners had stats that aren't that out of reach for Schroeder. I'll be interested to see how he follows up his rookie of the year season.

On a side note, Jason Krog absolutely ripped it up in his award year. That guy is such a mystery, I don't know what went wrong in his career that didn't allow him to make the next step.

Hobey Baker Award Season? If he can add to the season he had last year, it's not out of the question.

Hobey Baker Winners

Paul Kariya has to be the most notable name. And some of the more recent winners had stats that aren't that out of reach for Schroeder. I'll be interested to see how he follows up his rookie of the year season.

On a side note, Jason Krog absolutely ripped it up in his award year. That guy is such a mystery, I don't know what went wrong in his career that didn't allow him to make the next step.

I think Krog didn't try enough to make the next step

krog got complacent in being the best in college and in the AHL. Then, when he tried to make it in the NHL, he felt falsely entitled and thought he was owed a top 6 spot. since he did not get it he did not do well. also he stopped trying to get better because he was at the top of his game. Basically no work ethic and lazy play.

Hobey Baker Winners

Hmm Ryan Miller won it.

Jordan Schroeder.... didnt really think we can land this guy in the 22nd pick, but I won't complain much.

so let's talk about him~ what kind of a player is he? Since this guy is a projected 14th-17th pick in most of the mock drafts, I didn't really check this guy out. It seems like alot of people is pretty happy about him since most of the reports stat he's a very talented player. Very good speed, very strong shot, a great playmaker who can make his teamates around him better, it's just too good to think we can land him in the 22nd pick.

But that being said, it seems one of the biggest draw back on Jordan Schroeder is his small size (173 cm) and I am not sure how this will effect his career in the NHL in the future.

Would be nice to see what you guys think of him. :D

I think one of the reasons he slipped down so far is other teams had other needs. From what I've been reading the Canucks got a steel.

Article is a month old, but is a good read and I did not see it posted anywhere.

Jordan Schroeder finished as Team USA's leading scorer to lead four University of Minnesota players at the recent U.S. Junior Evaluation camp in Lake Placid, N.Y.

Schroeder, a sophomore forward for the Gophers, totaled five goals and nine assists for 14 points while playing in six of the seven games. The 10-day camp included three intrasquad games and four games against Russia. Schroeder scored points in each of the games he played.

Incoming freshman defenseman Nick Leddy finished with three goals and two assists over five games, while freshman forward Zach Budish had two goals in seven games and sophomore defenseman Aaron Ness registered three assists. Budish was one of seven players to play in every game and finished fourth on the team with 14 penalty minutes.

The four Gophers were among 29 players trying out for the U.S. World Junior team, which will compete Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in the under-20 World Junior Championships in Saskatoon and Regina, Saskatchewan. The final roster will be determined in early December.

Schroeder has played for the U.S. Junior National Team the past two seasons and had a goal and an assist in each of the three games he played last week against Russia. He had two points in an 8-1 win on Tuesday and a 6-1 win on Wednesday. He also picked up two points in the final game, which was a 6-0 U.S. victory on Saturday. The only game Schroeder didn't play resulted in a 6-4 loss on Friday. Ness had an assist on a U.S. goal in the defeat.

• 2 weeks later...
Schroeder Tabbed

Gophers' sophomore forward Jordan Schroeder has been named the WCHA preseason Player of the Year by both the coaches and the media. Schroeder shared the selection by the coaches with St. Cloud State's Ryan Lasch. Schroeder ranked third nationally in assists and points per game in 2008-09 and was the WCHA Rookie of the Year. He earned National Rookie of the Year honors by Inside College Hockey and College Hockey News last season and was the only freshman to rank among the nation's top 40 scorers. Schroeder's 45 points marked the 10th-highest single-season total by a freshman in Minnesota history and his 32 assists ranked sixth in a single season by a freshman.

Source: http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.db...TCLID=204804613

SIDE NOTE: Gophers play UBC on Sunday. If you have time I'm sure we could stream it and crash their feed like we did when we all watched the UofA vs Canucks.

Schroeder was +1 with 2 assists and one near goal (called back on review) in the exhibition against UBC. Good first outing for our budding superstar (too early?)

Gophers Start Strong With 6-1 Exhibition Victory

Minnesota looked in mid-season form despite just one day of official practice prior to Sunday's 6-1 exhibition men's hockey victory over British Columbia at Mariucci Arena.

Six different players scored goals as the Gophers scored two goals in each period and used a shutdown defense to limit the Thunderbirds to 11 shots, including two in the third period. Minnesota also had a solid night on special teams, finishing two-for-three on the power play and holding British Columbia scoreless on all three of its power play tries.

The Gophers outshot the Thunderbirds 44-11 and reached a scoring total they hit just four times in 37 games last season. Cade Fairchild, Jay Barriball and Nico Sacchetti each finished with a goal and two assists for Minnesota, while Jordan Schroeder and Tony Lucia each had a goal and an assist.

It marks the second straight year Minnesota has beaten British Columbia in an exhibition after a 3-1 win last season. The win was the Gophers' 12th straight exhibition victory.

Barriball started the scoring for the Gophers when he skated in from the top of the faceoff circle and drilled a shot into the upper corner on the stick side of Thunderbirds' goaltender Francois Thuot at 7:12 of the first period. It came on Minnesota's only power play opportunity in the first two periods and was assisted by Schroeder and Fairchild.

The Gophers added a second goal with 45 seconds left in the opening stanza as Mike Hoeffel took advantage of a defensive breakdown, finding himself wide open in the shot. Schroeder dished a perfect pass from the right faceoff dot and Hoeffel wristed the shot into the upper corner. Barriball also assisted the play.

Fairchild gave Minnesota a 3-0 advantage at 7:42 of the second period blasting a shot from the top of the right faceoff circle off a crisp feed from Lucia. Sacchetti also picked up an assist.

British Columbia got on the scoreboard three minutes later following one of the Gophers' few miscues of the night. Max Grassi converted the goal as an errant pass led to a three-on-one for the Thunderbirds. It was the only goal allowed by Gophers' starting goaltender Kent Patterson, who finished with eight saves in the first two periods. Sophomore Jake Kremer saw his first collegiate action in the third period and faced just two shots, making both saves.

Minnesota regained its three-goal lead just over a minute later when Lucia converted a two-on-one with a long wrister at 12:03 of the period. Instead of passing the puck, Lucia took the shot himself and put it past Thuot for the goal. Josh Birkholz started the breakout with a long pass up the ice to earn an assist.

Schroeder nearly added another goal with a shorthanded chance midway through the third period when his high shot was bobbled by Thuot, who snagged the puck in mid-air just before it crossed the goalline. Video replay confirmed that Schroeder's shot did not cross the line. Taylor Matson, playing his first game since missing the last 24 games of 2008-09 with a knee injury, also nearly added a third period goal when he hit the post from short range off a rebound of his original shot.

The Gophers did convert their fifth goal at 12:20 of the final period as Sacchetti launched a shot from the high slot off a pass from Fairchild. Sacchetti won the faceoff himself and it deflected off a Thunderbirds' player to Fairchild, who fed Sacchetti for the goal.

Minnesota scored on its second power play chance of the game in the third period when freshman Nick Leddy scored on the back door off a perfect pass across the crease from Barriball for a 6-1 lead. Sacchetti also had an assist on the goal at 14:35 of the third period.

British Columbia had three power plays in the game and Minnesota killed off all three tries, allowing just one shot on the Thunderbirds' man-advantage.

Schroeder was +1 with 2 assists and one near goal (called back on review) in the exhibition against UBC. Good first outing for our budding superstar (too early?)

I do think he can make the Canucks next year. The NHL is headed for pure speed. Its why a guy like Patrick Kane isnt PASTED into oblivion anymore.

Schroeder is strong on his skates and has speed. I got high hopes for him.

I do think he can make the Canucks next year. The NHL is headed for pure speed. Its why a guy like Patrick Kane isnt PASTED into oblivion anymore.

Schroeder is strong on his skates and has speed. I got high hopes for him.

I'm keeping all of my hopes reserved until the players make the team from now on, been burnt/disappointed one too many times.

I'm keeping all of my hopes reserved until the players make the team from now on, been burnt/disappointed one too many times.

True, however, Schroeder IMO will make the Canucks in probably 2 years from now the good thing is that he right now is playing mostly with men which he can benefit from. I just can't wait to see our future lines shape up to be somewhat like this with a 1-2 punch down the middle

Shirokov-Hodgson-Kesler

Grabner-Schroeder-Bernier

Thats looks like a deadly top 6 in the future :).

True, however, Schroeder IMO will make the Canucks in probably 2 years from now the good thing is that he right now is playing mostly with men which he can benefit from. I just can't wait to see our furtue lines shape up to be somewhat like this with a 1-2 punch down the middle

Shirokov-Hodgson-Kesler

Grabner-Schroeder-Bernier

Thats looks like a deadly top 6 in the future :).

if they all develop as they should I would have to say the cup is not far away with that. (not to mention the Sedins)

Archived