3141 replies to this topic

#721 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:57 AM

I'm very excited for Schroeder, he reminds me a lot of Gionta and his Devil's days.

LA2OdZi.png

Victory Hockey League - http://www.vhlforum.com/

#722 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

That really does make me wonder: in 2008, in that first month or so that Mike Gillis was GM, who would make the call as to who the Canucks drafted? I mean, the guy's just been named GM and has been on the job for 6 weeks. Ron Delorme and the scouting personnel? Or would Gillis be able to pick up on all the info that they had accumulated over the past year or so in that amount of time?

Dave Nonis would've known all about the players that they were scouting due to the constant reports and feedback from his staff. 'Cos I seriously doubt Nonis would've taken the time to tell him who he would draft had he not been fired... Posted Image In that '08 draft, would Gillis or the scouts have had the final say?

Although I am not 100% sure, I remember hearing that Gillis was responsible for the first two picks and let the scouting staff do the rest. It would seem to make sense as at time, it looked like our picks went downhill after the second round.Rai, Froshaug and Clark? Pretty bad.

This year all of our picks have shown some pretty good potential, especially Connauton and Andersson.
Sig too big.

#723 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,275 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

Although I am not 100% sure, I remember hearing that Gillis was responsible for the first two picks and let the scouting staff do the rest. It would seem to make sense as at time, it looked like our picks went downhill after the second round.Rai, Froshaug and Clark? Pretty bad.

This year all of our picks have shown some pretty good potential, especially Connauton and Andersson.

Although I will agree Clark looks like a pick to appease his father (which may in itself be as valuable to the organization as most other 7th rounders), how can you say Rai was a bad pick? What do you expect from a 5th round pick???

PBF020-Skub.gif

#724 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

Gillis was a player agent leading up to the draft, so he most likely was scouting a number of top level rookie players himself to try to pick up future clients. It would make sense as to why he would have been responsible for the top 2 picks, since he probably knew about the players already.

#725 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

Although I will agree Clark looks like a pick to appease his father (which may in itself be as valuable to the organization as most other 7th rounders), how can you say Rai was a bad pick? What do you expect from a 5th round pick???

Zata or bust.

#726 Grama

Grama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

we have also seen what size has done for the Sharks and Flyers in the playoffs too!

Yeah, Obviously everyone would love to have a team with 12 Getzlaf/Thornton's.....they arent that common. I take first line skill no matter what size over a 6'3" 3rd liner.

To defend tatoes, when Detroit won the cup, both Franzen and Holmstrom were in their top 6 and both were over 6'1".

Holmstrom is not over 6. If anything he is under. I can tell that from my TV at home. Franzen, on the other hand, you have a point there. And they also had Samuelsson.

I still think the argument sucks tho.

#727 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

holmstrom is listed as exactly 6 feet. i doubt he's shrunk over the last 2 years.

#728 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

I bet most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a guy who is 5'10, 5'11, and 6'0 just by looking. 6'0 is only 3% taller than 5'10. I think they're are larger factors than that to determine if a player can be successful.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#729 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

size does not matter at all in the new NHL i dont know why people still cry about it. how big is pat kane? how big is mike richards, brendan morrow, martin st. louis, brian gionta, mike cammalleri, danny briere??? we could go on and on with undersized guys who are impact players. and shroeder was one of the strongest guys in the draft and he can skate with the best of them so i see no reason to cry and whine about his size.

#730 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

His team sucks.

#731 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

yes, yes they do. they outshot Denver 45-31 but still lost 3-1.

#732 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

size does not matter at all in the new NHL i dont know why people still cry about it. how big is pat kane? how big is mike richards, brendan morrow, martin st. louis, brian gionta, mike cammalleri, danny briere??? we could go on and on with undersized guys who are impact players. and shroeder was one of the strongest guys in the draft and he can skate with the best of them so i see no reason to cry and whine about his size.

Yeah, it's not about size, it's about strength and strength to weight ratio.

Jarome Iginla was considered a premier power forward at his peak and he was only about 6'1 205lbs, but incredibly strong and compact. Crosby isn't very big either, but he has tremendous lower body strength and core strength. Taylor Pyatt is 6'4 225 and is more of a feather duster.
Posted Image

#733 Pinhead

Pinhead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

Schroeder is going to be a good pro i think.

Posted Image

#734 ilikecanucks

ilikecanucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

Pre-lockout Iginla was approximately 225lbs, he only dropped the weight post-lockout when speed became more important. Not that that has anything to do with Jordan Schroeder, it was just incorrect.

#735 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

Pre-lockout Iginla was approximately 225lbs, he only dropped the weight post-lockout when speed became more important. Not that that has anything to do with Jordan Schroeder, it was just incorrect.

well he was 205lbs when he scored 50 in 07/08. ;)

Also, I thought he lost 10 lbs, which would place him at 215lbs...oh well, my point remains the same.

Edited by Gnickers87, 13 February 2010 - 05:26 PM.

Posted Image

#736 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:43 PM

Wow! They only have 2 games in 2 full weeks and they only manage 2 Goals! :blink:

#737 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

Wow! They only have 2 games in 2 full weeks and they only manage 2 Goals! :blink:

last week they had off, this week they played the #2 ranked team in the league. The gophers are not even ranked, because they suck so hard.
http://www.uscho.com...cho1m&week=poll

#738 MrTubesteak

MrTubesteak

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

I notice that on the Big10 network today that they're broadcasting the Minnesota vs. Colorado college games this weekend (one tonight and one tomorrow morning). Good chance to see Schroeder play.

#739 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

yeah, it's about time. oh, the one on saturday is a repeat of the friday night game. the saturday game doesn't start until an hour and a half past the air time.

Edited by avelanch, 19 February 2010 - 11:45 AM.

#740 Durock

Durock

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

Schroeder is going to be a good pro i think.

why was this a negative? let me fix that for you.
Posted Image

#741 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:38 PM

Schroeder is impressing so far. he saved a goal in his own end and if his line-mates had some finish he would have had at least 2 assists already. the announcers can't stop singing his praise. he has great hockey sense; plays a very smart game.

Edited by avelanch, 19 February 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#742 dbam09

dbam09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

I like to see that like Hodgson, Schroeder is the go to guy for the gophers in all situation. He's there on the pp, and the first forward on in the penalty kills. It's nice to see that the canucks have such solid two way players developing.

#743 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

Yeah it's very reassuring, especially since they will probably develop on the 3rd line at first.

#744 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

Schroeder puts minnie up 2-0 with a good crease presence goal.

#745 dbam09

dbam09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

Ya Schroeder is looking good. The easy tap in goal, but a goal's a goal. He had at least 2 or 3 other quality chances he created with his speed and smarts, and plus he made some nice set ups for his line mates that didn't quite materialised.

For what it's worth, pat white also looke pretty decent, but he's shark property now, and we were by no means robbed in that trade, so thats just a side observation.

They mentioned that next saturdays game is also on bigten, so we'll get another look of him.

I really hope he decides to sign a pro contract when the season finishes and go to play for the rest of the season in manitoba. It would be unreal to see what kinds of combos they could make with shirokov grabner hodgson and schroeder

#746 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

Here is the highlights of the Gophers game tonight.
http://www.bigtennet...tory_id=3384711

Posted Image

#747 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:19 AM

Schroeder with 1 goal, +1, 4 shots on goal. Fredheim on the hand was held pointless, 1 shot on goal and a -3. On the ice for all 3 goals against, ouch. Posted Image
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#748 MrTubesteak

MrTubesteak

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

I found Schroeder to easily be the best player on the ice for Minny. He's definitely the most skilled, heads up guy they have. Glad we have him in our system.

#749 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

Schroeder with 2 assists and was +1 today in a 7-4 win. I'm surprised they beat the #8 ranked team twice this weekend.

#750 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hansen-Hodgson-Schroeder as a third line?!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.