The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Zach Boychuk II. :lol:

Don't like short kids guys? He is our man whether you like it or not.

Same type of "off the charts" physical shape that Zach Boychuk showed in his combines. Speed, skill and not a lot of altitude in terms of height. Other than that, this is a dynamic player. Personally, I had him around 8 in my 2009 NHL Entry Draft rankings. Well, we really stole this player BIG TIME.

Patrick White, you better put a whole lot ton of pressure on yourself to live up to expectations (get into the NHL)!!!

Michael Grabner, Cody Hodgson, Zach Boychuk II (Jordan Schroeder) what a speedy, skilled, international, character group of future top-6.

5'8 is pretty short. He better not be done growing.

If he grows a couple inches. He would become the steal of the decade.

Just a couple inches taller and he would have gotten top 5 consideration, top 10 for sure.

Same type of "off the charts" physical shape that Zach Boychuk showed in his combines. Speed, skill and not a lot of altitude in terms of height. Other than that, this is a dynamic player. Personally, I had him around 8 in my 2009 NHL Entry Draft rankings. Well, we really stole this player BIG TIME.

Patrick White, you better put a whole lot ton of pressure on yourself to live up to expectations (get into the NHL)!!!

Michael Grabner, Cody Hodgson, Zach Boychuk II (Jordan Schroeder) what a speedy, skilled, international, character group of future top-6.

Jordan Schroeder will be a better player than Zach Boychuk. Mark my word.

The player closer to Zach Boychuk in this draft is Toni Rajala.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but journalist Gare Joyce, who also wrote the book Future Greats and Heartbreaks has this to say about Schroeder and the reason he fell to 22:

"Asked what his weaknesses were, he said he didn't have any. Said he couldn't really think of anything he needed to work on. Straight-faced.

Asked who was going to be on his line at UMinn next season, he said that he had already told the coach who he'd play with.

He was critical of team-mates and coaches and blamed the U.S.'s failure to win at the under-20s on everyone else except himself.

Those are just a few examples. I could go on but won't. If you don't get the idea, then you never will."

LINK: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=20113...ce#post20113837

Joyce says these were Schroeder's comments in one of his combine interviews. He's usually a very reliable journalist, but I find it somewhat hard to believe that the Canucks, who have been preaching the character types, would draft Schroeder if he apparently is that full of himself. I've already talked to some people close to Schroeder and will continue to do some digging, so stay tuned for that information.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but journalist Gare Joyce, who also wrote the book Future Greats and Heartbreaks has this to say about Schroeder and the reason he fell to 22:

"Asked what his weaknesses were, he said he didn't have any. Said he couldn't really think of anything he needed to work on. Straight-faced.

Asked who was going to be on his line at UMinn next season, he said that he had already told the coach who he'd play with.

He was critical of team-mates and coaches and blamed the U.S.'s failure to win at the under-20s on everyone else except himself.

Those are just a few examples. I could go on but won't. If you don't get the idea, then you never will."

LINK: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=20113...ce#post20113837

Joyce says these were Schroeder's comments in one of his combine interviews. He's usually a very reliable journalist, but I find it somewhat hard to believe that the Canucks, who have been preaching the character types, would draft Schroeder if he apparently is that full of himself. I've already talked to some people close to Schroeder and will continue to do some digging, so stay tuned for that information.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of Confidence.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of Confidence.

Never said there was. But if what Gare says is actually true (I'm not saying it is), that's a little bit more than confidence.

Again, I'm working to get some more information. Will let you guys know what I find.

Never said there was. But if what Gare says is actually true (I'm not saying it is), that's a little bit more than confidence.

Again, I'm working to get some more information. Will let you guys know what I find.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to it. He's a 17 year old who is highly regarded. He's young. Pavel Bure always said that he believed he was the best player in the world. Malkin/Ovechkin all say in interview that they believe that they are the best players in the game. It's just competitive nature. They aren't taught to speak to the media at a young age.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to it. He's a 17 year old who is highly regarded. He's young. Pavel Bure always said that he believed he was the best player in the world. Malkin/Ovechkin all say in interview that they believe that they are the best players in the game. It's just competitive nature. They aren't taught to speak to the media at a young age.

Exactly. In time, he will mature as a person and I doubt that Gillis would take him if his personality was a major issue. I am still convinced he fell mainly because of his size.

Interviews don't really mean crap..

He's really young...

Remember Phil Kessel? People said he was a cancer... bad in the interview... attitude problem etc etc... Look at him now.

Besides like Rey said, there's nothing wrong with confidence. He was a dominant player at the world juniors (one of the youngest to)... clearly the older guys did not step up.

Schoeder does look really small (he was beside bettman) but size doesn't really matter for him. He has a good built. There's no way he could have racked up 45 points in the NCAA if he was being knocked around. Clearly he was able to play amonst men.

Exactly. In time, he will mature as a person and I doubt that Gillis would take him if his personality was a major issue. I am still convinced he fell mainly because of his size.

Competitive nature and confidence I understand. But when you've got kids coming out and criticizing their teammates and coaches then I think there's a problem, no matter what you're age. Again, I don't know if that's what really happened or not.

Just like the rest of you, I'm ecstatic that Schroeder is now a Vancouver Canuck. I think it was an excellent selection. Even so, I'm still going to talk to some people who will give us a better idea the type of person Schroeder really is.

Interviews don't really mean crap..

He's really young...

Remember Phil Kessel? People said he was a cancer... bad in the interview... attitude problem etc etc... Look at him now.

Besides like Rey said, there's nothing wrong with confidence. He was a dominant player at the world juniors (one of the youngest two)... clearly the older guys did not step up.

And as I acknowledged, there is absolutely nothing wrong with confidence. I would be more concerned if he was criticizing his teammates and coaches; that's something you just don't do. And tell Gillis interviews don't mean crap, he's openly said that he put a lot of stock into the interviews with the players. This is why I doubt that Schroeder's head is a problem. Just thought I'd let you guys know that this opinion about our newest prized posession is out there.

^

Yep definately btw Farhan anymore news on Shirokov?

Other than the fact that one of his teammates told me he was "overweight" (check my twitter page), nothing. I'll ask around for an update, not sure I'll find anything of substance though.

I think Schroeder will be better than Boychuk personally.

Ummm. Wrong. Age has nothing to with playing in the AHL, at least when you're 18. Haven't you people learned this yet? I read that Everett owns his rights, and that would be the reason he can't play for the Moose. An agreement between the CHL(?) and AHL to keep talent from leaving too early. Wetcoaster will be able to tell you the rule.

There is a private agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL that governs when a player coming from the CHL can play in the AHL. A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season (ie a player born in 1987 can start playing in the 2007-08 season, a player born in 1988 can start playing in the 2008-09 season etc.) OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. This agreement also covers European players if they are drafted out of the CHL (Examples would be players like Petr Vrana and Ivan Vishnevskiy). Also - CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over (either by virtue of their team junior not making the playoffs or being eliminated from the playoffs) even if they don't yet meet the age or eligibility criteria listed above.

College players and European players (provided they are drafted out of Europe--even if they later play in the CHL) are not covered by this agreement. They only have to abide by the AHL's age requirement, which is that a player has to turn 18 by September 15 of any given season to be eligible to play. While you won't see many 18-year olds in the AHL, some European players have played at that age (e.g. Niklas Bergfors)

Taken from HFBoards.

Sorry if this has been mentioned but is Jordan Schroeder on the same team Patrick White is? If so.. wow Pat White is behind in development..

Totally different style of player. Each will develop at their own rate and hopefully both become solid pros for the Vancouver Canucks. Gopher coaching staff thinks this will be the case....I trust that input more than idle speculation on CDC.

this guy is starting to remind me more and more of patrick kane. Kane is one of the cockiest guys in the league, but he's a damn good hockey player. If Shroeder can play like kane, i dont think anyone will be complaining.

Archived