3141 replies to this topic

#2431 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

I think Schroeder would do well with Booth. Both have good speed, and Schroeder could feed Booth better than Kesler.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2432 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

Good article about him ( http://www.theprovin..._medium=twitter ) :

No one has to draw a flow chart for Jordan Schroeder to show him how his stock has risen in the Canucks organization the last few months.
Yes, he’s coming off a very solid season with the AHL Chicago Wolves, but the trade of third-line centre Cody Hodgson at the deadline in late February, along with this week’s news that second-line pivot Ryan Kesler will be out until at least November after shoulder surgery, have Schroeder rocketing up the depth chart.
Sure, a lot can happen between now and training camp, but Schroeder — a small (5-foot-8) but NHL-quick centre the Canucks took 22nd overall in the 2009 NHL entry draft — is determined to make sure he takes full advantage of his opportunity.
“I do [see the opportunity], but I’m not going to look at it as Kesler’s injury was the only way that I made the team,” said Schroeder, 21, from his family’s cabin on Lake Vermilion in northern Minnesota, where he’s planning a weekend of fishing.
“But it does help. My goal, just like anyone else, is to come out and compete for a job. Maybe things like this trickle down and some guys get opportunities that they might not have got before. It’s not good news for him, he’s an awesome player and I’m sure they’ll miss him while he’s out.”
Schroeder had a tough first pro season in Manitoba under head coach Claude Noel, but broadened his game and his stats this year in Chicago. He played both special teams and finished with 21 goals and 44 points in 76 games under coach Craig MacTavish.
Although he freely admits the shift from U.S. college hockey two seasons ago was a shock, he feels he’s ready to challenge for an NHL job this fall.
“I’m going to be totally honest,” he said. “These past two years I needed it, the development. Looking back, I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have learned in college if I’d stayed. I’ve learned so many parts of the game that it takes to get to the next level. I’ve still got a long ways to go but I’ve learned a lot.”
Schroeder admits he had to learn some hard lessons from Noel.
“I had a lot of learning to do,” said Schroeder. “Claude Noel told me you’re going to realize what you need to do to be successful. He was pretty hard on me, but I think I’m a better player for it.
“This year, with coach MacTavish, he helped me a lot, adding stuff to my game, trying to make me a better all-around player.”
Schroeder knows that to be successful in the NHL as a small player, you have to be able to put up points. While his speed created scoring chances for him in the AHL, he didn’t convert often enough — and that’s something he wants to rectify.
“I really want to work on my shot this summer,” said Schroeder, who works out in the off-season in his suburban Minneapolis hometown of Lakeville with the likes of NHLers Zach Parise, Kyle Okposo, Drew Stafford and Bryce Salvador.
“I think I can put up a lot more goals than I did this year. It was a big step for me to hit 21 goals, but I think I could have taken off in that area if I would have hit the net more or kept it down and hit the right spots.”

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1uQTUy3Zj

Posted Image

#2433 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

“I’m going to be totally honest,” he said. “These past two years I needed it, the development. Looking back, I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have learned in college if I’d stayed. I’ve learned so many parts of the game that it takes to get to the next level. I’ve still got a long ways to go but I’ve learned a lot.”

the most important part of that article for me, shows the difference between hodgson and schroeder, cody wasnt willing to pay his dues and let his game evolve.

#2434 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

I would like to see Schroeder on the 2nd line in Kesler's spot to start the season
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#2435 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

I would like to see Schroeder on the 2nd line in Kesler's spot to start the season

I would like to see Schroeder centre both Kesler and Booth once he does comes back. I think easing Kes back into game-play on the wing would be better than throwing him into +20 minutes a game...again...

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2436 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,358 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

So is this guy ready or what?
Posted Image

#2437 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,902 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Coach V has a soft spot for guys who play hard nut hockey and are willing to take on roles > see Burrows, Hansen, even Kess when he broke in, also Rypien...

See his countenance improving for Ballard with his improved "disposition" this past year...

No granting of talent key roles unless you are clearly better, but you can earn a roster spot in other ways is the coaches message. It's not a bad message either!

Sounds as if Schroeder was taking a similar message on board from Mac T, maybe he is a chance?

but.....coach v has little patience with drafts n prospects, he likes vets!

It is pretty obvious that he prefers vets, but I don't think he'd hold Jordan back just because he was young. Cody didn't get moved to the second line because whenever it was tried he showed no chemistry with Kesler. If Jordan gets a good look there and puts up points, I'd say he'd stay there until he wasn't looking effective. Of course, we may be seeing a different coach next season, so that changes everything.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 06 June 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#2438 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

^^^ I think he has a strong chance of making it if he works really hard over the summer.

Schroeder has a good attitude and is willing to do what it takes to get there, and he's put in his time without complaining and just learned to be a pro. He'll get along well with the coaching staff and his other teammates IMO.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#2439 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,701 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

Adding Schroeder to the roster kind of goes against Gillis saying he wants to get bigger and stronger.

I guess we can always upgrade in other positions though.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2440 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Adding Schroeder to the roster kind of goes against Gillis saying he wants to get bigger and stronger.

I guess we can always upgrade in other positions though.

And so what happens when the 2012 - 2013 champs are filled with skilled players under 6 feet with no tough guys? DO we trade Booth, Kassian, Jensen etc??

The canucks need to find their own identity and stick with it.
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#2441 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,701 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:00 AM

And so what happens when the 2012 - 2013 champs are filled with skilled players under 6 feet with no tough guys? DO we trade Booth, Kassian, Jensen etc??

The canucks need to find their own identity and stick with it.

The formula for winning the cup has never involved having a bunch of small players on your roster.

You need size, you need toughness, and you need fearless players. Even the wings had a bunch of sandpaper mixed in with their skill.

Edited by DeNiro, 07 June 2012 - 12:04 AM.

Posted Image

#2442 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

I honestly don't think Schroeders size is going to be an issue. He's built like Brad Marchand. Small, compact, and explosive.

He has NHL hands, unreal vision, and a lightning quick shot.

Booth Schroeder Higgins would be a good line for him to adjust to the NHL.

#2443 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

The formula for winning the cup has never involved having a bunch of small players on your roster.

You need size, you need toughness, and you need fearless players. Even the wings had a bunch of sandpaper mixed in with their skill.

You're missing the point.

Every time a team wins the cup it's comething new that does it for them.

Boston buillied vancouver out of the building.
Chicago Philly showed you needed great forwards and a solid 3rd line.
Pittsburgh and Detroit showed you need finesse forwards.
Anaheim grinded it out
And now LA is showing that you need three big centres.

the point is that it's pretty much a guarantee that a different factor will win the cup each year. You can't worry about what other teams do. You need to pick a system before the season starts and acquire the players that will fufill that. Changing your strategy every year is a recipe for disaster
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#2444 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

Anaheim grinded it out

the point is that it's pretty much a guarantee that a different factor will win the cup each year. You can't worry about what other teams do. You need to pick a system before the season starts and acquire the players that will fufill that. Changing your strategy every year is a recipe for disaster

You are being pretty selective about you're approach and conclusion. De Niro hit it right. The NHL talks one story during the regular season when it doesn't mean much but come playoffs and the rules change. Size, speed and physicality counts for a lot. Playoffs are all about atrition.

#2445 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,701 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

You are being pretty selective about you're approach and conclusion. De Niro hit it right. The NHL talks one story during the regular season when it doesn't mean much but come playoffs and the rules change. Size, speed and physicality counts for a lot. Playoffs are all about atrition.

Exactly.

There's no substitution for size and toughness.

Sure a smaller team can make it through to the finals. But when a skilled team like Vancouver met a team like Boston, they didn't have any answer to their size and grit. You've gotta have those weapons in your arsenal to be able to win different ways and be prepared for different opponents.

Every single cup team since the beggining of the NHL has won the cup with the same formula: Hard work. I have no doubt Schroeder can work hard, the only thing he's going to have trouble with is battling 230 pound defenceman in the corners for the puck.

Posted Image

#2446 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,701 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

Anaheim grinded it out

All of those teams you listed had big players in their lineups.

They all had awesome forchecks.

They all had third and fourth lines that were tough and produced offensively.

They all had deep defence.

They all had good goaltending.

And all of their stars showed up in a big way.

You say that they all won in different ways, but I would say they all pretty much won the same way. It's the same formula for every cup winning team. The only thing that changes is the style of play.

Posted Image

#2447 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

I highly doubt having one small player is going to kill our chances of winning a cup...

2moy3iq.png

#2448 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,701 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

I highly doubt having one small player is going to kill our chances of winning a cup...

Nobody is saying it will. But my point was when Gillis says he wants his team to get bigger and stronger, bringing a 5'8" player into our top 6 kind of goes against that.

And if we do do that, it kind of limits the areas in which we can upgrade in the size and toughness department.

Posted Image

#2449 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

But players like Marchand, St.louis, Briere play bigger than their height.

Bigger heart, stronger will.

#2450 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

It's been 3 years since we drafted him, 0 NHL games??? Great job gillis, what a steal

#2451 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

It's been 3 years since we drafted him, 0 NHL games??? Great job gillis, what a steal

Leave.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#2452 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

If the new CBA doesn't get done and there is a short work stoppage leading to a shortened season, Schroeder's chance at cracking our lineup becomes slim since Ryan Kesler will be ready to go.

Sucks for him, but if he wants to make the NHL, he'll have to make it regardless of whether Ryan Kesler is in the lineup or not - so let's hope he can still make a lasting impression to at least get a call up later on or downright solidify his spot on the 3rd line center position.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#2453 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,701 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Yep, so he's right on track to make the NHL in the same average time frame that it takes 75% of prospects to make the NHL.

Posted Image

#2454 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

I hope Schroeder can make the team

I'd love to see these lines

Dank Hank Burr (Scoring Line vs Opp. L 3)
Higgins Kes Hansen (Shut down/Counter Attack vs Opp. L1/L2)
Booth Schroeder Raymond/Kassian (Scoring Line vs Opp. L4)
Lappy Manny Bitz (Shut down line vs Opp. L1/L2)

#2455 hyflyin

hyflyin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

#2456 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

I think that Schroeder is too small and will be another Mason Raymond. We need big, fearless monsters with soft hands that can snipe.

#2457 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

I think that Schroeder is too small and will be another Mason Raymond. We need big, fearless monsters with soft hands that can snipe.

So do 29 other teams.

But on that note why don't we just give Schroeder stilts and hand lotion.

Problem? Solved.

SYvE9NH.gif

AnyDXvV.png

#2458 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

Nathan Gerbe 3 inches shorter, is an effective player for Buffalo.

#2459 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

good luck getting that. Gillis is hoping Kassian can become that. Not very many big skilled guys become available.

#2460 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:09 AM

good luck getting that. Gillis is hoping Kassian can become that. Not very many big skilled guys become available.

Hell, I'm sure hoping Kassian turns into that. Imagine if he beefs up a few pounds? He's already proven his hands in Junior's with the size he's git. Here's hoping, anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.