3141 replies to this topic

#2761 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Ruff didn't make the playoffs last year and he's not going to make the playoffs this year.

So moot point.

If Cody's legs were just a little longer, he would definitely be a a star, but he doesn't have the ability to rush the puck up the ice, and he doesn't have a twin brother with insane chemistry to make up for his slowness.

I think he tops out as a 2nd line center but I'm not sure if he's ready to be one yet.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#2762 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

like I said with Hodgson- I would put schroeder on the second line between booth and kesler and let him feed passes all day. with kesler on the ice, i would not be so worried about a defensive matchup. Gillis and Veigneault cried about how Hodgson was a defensive liability, I don't get that- look at teams like Philly-put couturier up against crosby last year, had schenn playing big minutes in the playoffs- what do we do- we trade away our only good young player before the playoffs because we are falsely concerned he'll get eaten alive.

Gillis' first year here was great and then he started to make really poor decisions- him and veignealt need to give young guys a chance-Jensen, Kassian, Schroeder need a chance- they wont be perfect everygame but how else will you develop your young players?

why would you put Schroder on the 2nd line when Kesler was very good for us on the 2nd line? I don't get CDC sometimes.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#2763 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

I said this before at the end of last year when the King dominated us and AV was once again a statue on the bench and did nothing.

and got flamed, some agreed but the majority did, glad other's are seeing this now too, although at this point I just want to win, if AV costs us in the playoffs no chance he is back, this could be our best chance at the cup with the extra gas we will have in tank for the playoffs (Maybe besides 2011)

TO his credit he did say he didn't prepare the team well enough...and was expecting Daniel back a lot sooner...lesson learnt. HOPEFULLY.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#2764 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

Can someone confirm Jordon Schroeder is he is 5'9 and 175 cm...is it possible he could have grown and info is outdated

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#2765 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,286 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

The Wolves website would have his most recent weight and height. It was likely taken at the beginning of this season. They have him listed at 5'9" and 179 lbs.

http://www.chicagowo...om/team/roster#

Edited by DeNiro, 10 January 2013 - 01:42 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2766 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

2c is Ebbett's job to lose. If things go bad, JS just might get his shot. Either way is bittersweet.
Posted Image

#2767 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

TO his credit he did say he didn't prepare the team well enough...and was expecting Daniel back a lot sooner...lesson learnt. HOPEFULLY.

Seems like he never prepares the team well enough in those situations, oh well hopefully he can have a good year

zackass.png

#2768 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

If Cody's legs were just a little longer, he would definitely be a a star, but he doesn't have the ability to rush the puck up the ice, and he doesn't have a twin brother with insane chemistry to make up for his slowness.

I think he tops out as a 2nd line center but I'm not sure if he's ready to be one yet.

Haha funny thing is I was literally the first to say this on this board on the Cody Hodgson thread and some others thought it was ridiculous.

Glad that others see it too. His legs are unproportionately short.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#2769 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,730 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Haha funny thing is I was literally the first to say this on this board on the Cody Hodgson thread and some others thought it was ridiculous.

Glad that others see it too. His legs are unproportionately short.

It's pretty obvious, I could tell on his draft day that he was a stocky guy. He has short arms and short legs, but he attempts to make up for it with hockey sense and skill.

#2770 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Can someone confirm Jordon Schroeder is he is 5'9 and 175 cm...is it possible he could have grown and info is outdated

It's more probable that he is shorter than that. Most short players will have an inch or two added as their listed height.

I still think it'll be Ebbett that will eventually slot in as the 2nd line center.

#2771 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

why would you put Schroder on the 2nd line when Kesler was very good for us on the 2nd line? I don't get CDC sometimes.

Edited by ashbury, 10 January 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#2772 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Probably completely oblivious.

#2773 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

I met Schroeder and last year, he was the same height as I, which is 5'8ish. At the combine he measured in at 5'8.25, which I believe is the most accurate measurement. He is not 5'9, IMO. I would not be surprised if he added weight to that number. He is surely a thick man.

#2774 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

He's not 5'9. I took a picture with him, and i'm only 5'8. I'm easily at least a full inch taller then him. If he's 5'8.5 then i'm 5'10, which i'm not.

Not that it really matters at this point. If he's good enough they will give him a chance at playing.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord, 10 January 2013 - 08:39 PM.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#2775 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

You would think Shroeder's performance at the jrs would at least give him a pass. The kid has skill determination and plays bigger than he is. Just wait.
Posted Image

#2776 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

http://vansunsportsb...d-booths-groin/

Why Jordan Schroeder should fear David Booth’s groin

“Wait, what does that headline say?”

On Monday, Canuck nation got some bad news, as David Booth missed the second day of the abbreviated post-lockout training camp with a sore groin. Tuesday, the news regarding Booth’s groin got even more grim: not unlike an elusive Albertan mountain goat, Booth killed it. He’ll be out 4-6 weeks with a strained groin.

Thus, if you were already somewhat disillusioned to learn that Andrew Ebbett and Jordan Schroeder would be battling it out to see who centred Mason Raymond and David Booth in the absence of a rehabilitating Ryan Kesler, consider that they’re now battling to see who centres Mason Raymond and… someone.

And frankly, while Booth’s strained groin was bad news for the entire Canucks organization and their fans, I’d argue that it was especially bad for Jordan Schroeder’s chances to win that battle.

One of the reasons that the Canucks might have been comfortable handing the second-line centre job to the inexperienced Schroeder is that he would have been playing between two veterans in Booth and Raymond — veterans who have shown an ability to drive possession into the offensive zone and get back on defence, at that. They’re players that Alain Vigneault trusts to work with a rookie centre as he tries to find his bearings at the highest level.

But Booth’s injury scuttles that plan. His empty spot on the second line will go to one of Jannik Hansen, Chris Higgins, and Zack Kassian, but the Canucks seem set on playing Higgins and Hansen on the third line with Maxim Lapierre. That means that Kassian will likely get the first chance on that second line, and if that’s the case, expect Vigneault to be a lot less comfortable handing the middle of the ice to a youngster when the right side of the ice features a similarly raw player. Alain Vigneault may not be the young-player-hater some claim (he doesn’t hate the player, he hates the game, defence-wise), but I doubt that he’d ice a line of two untested saplings unless he absolutely had to. Vigneault treats his young players like dogwoods; they need the shade of larger, older trees to grow.

He’s already gone on record as saying that he won’t be experimenting as much in this shortened season as in seasons past, and for Alain Vigneault, icing two rookies in his top six on opening night is akin to trying to assemble a human centipede.

That in mind, David Booth’s strained groin may signal the end of Jordan Schroeder’s bid to open the season in Vancouver. If Zack Kassian is on the second line come opening night, expect Andrew Ebbett, who has already shown the ability to drive possession in the right direction and who has NHL experience as a second-line center, to be lining up next to him.

Edited by Dasein, 15 January 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#2777 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hmm, I'm just not really a fan of Ebbett, I'd rather have Schroeders speed and better offensive skills

What if they tried something like

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malholtra-Weise

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#2778 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

<p><p>

Hmm, I'm just not really a fan of Ebbett, I'd rather have Schroeders speed and better offensive skills

What if they tried something like

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malholtra-Weise

its yet to be seen if kassian has the ability to be up there but i like the look of the lines as you have them.  i hope kass gets that shot.  Ebbett did have some clutch goals last season if you remember, and more assists than schroeder this season with the wolves.  If Ebbett can move the puck and mayray can find some open ice i think that would be a serviceable 2nd line.  either:
raymond-ebbett-kassian
or
raymond-ebbett-burrows
if they aren't scoring, put schroeder in to see if there is a spark.  i want schroeder to play and all but ebbett has the experience p>

Edited by wshdrvvn, 15 January 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#2779 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Lp

#2780 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

In my opinion, I still think Jordan has a shot.

Ebbett's advantage is that he's played for us in this role before so he understands the system better than Jordan. Also, he's familiar with the guys, which means he has more chemistry and will gel better. The biggest advantage Ebbett has is the shortened season, which makes AV less inclined to try new things = Schroeder.

The thing Jordan has to his advantage is that he is young and has better potential to produce offensively. Also, if Kassian is moved to the 2nd line, he's familiar with at least one of his wingers, meaning he'll also have some chemistry.

Keep in mind that in the exit meeting, AV told Jordan that he deserved a call up last season. I think that shows he has some faith in Jordan's overall game.

What Jordan needs to do IMO is show that he can play as good as Ebbett defensively. If all things show to be equal, I think AV may give the nod to Jordan. If it's unsure, I think he'll go with the safe pick in Ebbett, but don't be surprised if AV pulls him for Jordan if he doesn't produce offense and we are struggling to score.

#2781 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,730 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

1)Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
-Two puck hounds who will really help Schroeder in the defensive zone and fore-checking.
or

2)Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
-Speed on the wings, also both veterans are great defensively. But Raymond has in the past been more of a shooter than Higgins, which could make for a better fit with the play-making Schroeder.

#2782 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Lp

#2783 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

1)Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
-Two puck hounds who will really help Schroeder in the defensive zone and fore-checking.
or

2)Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
-Speed on the wings, also both veterans are great defensively. But Raymond has in the past been more of a shooter than Higgins, which could make for a better fit with the play-making Schroeder.

is that a third line or second line?

#2784 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Now or never for Schroeder.

That 2009 draft of Schroeder and Rodin is not looking too good right now. Think about how the 2nd line injuries would not be an issue right now if one of these two had developed and shown more offensive production like the scouts expected. Canucks almost took Rodin in the first round.

#2785 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

because Kesler could not pass to save his life, it was over the blue line, shoot wide, line change. Put Cody in there to feed booth and Kes, there was a lot of debate as to why this did not happen. Not sure which Ryan Kesler you were watching last year pal.

#2786 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,730 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Schroeder has all the tools, hoping AV will give him an extended chance.
I like his play-making ability, speed, and agility a lot more than CoHo.

#2787 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Now or never for Schroeder.

That 2009 draft of Schroeder and Rodin is not looking too good right now.  Think about how the 2nd line injuries would not be an issue right now if one of these two had developed and shown more offensive production like the scouts expected.  Canucks almost took Rodin in the first round.

I'm pretty sure the situation wouldn't be much different had we instead taken two of:

Kyle Palmieri, Philippe Paradis, Dylan Olsen, Mikko Koskinen, Landon Ferraro, Carl Klingberg, Chris Brown, Matt Clark, Alex Chiasson, Jakob Silfverberg, Zach Budish, Charles-Olivier Roussel, William Wrenn, Ethan Werek, Brett Ponich, Kenny Ryan, Brian Dumoulin, or Richard Panik.

(All were selected between Schroeder and Rodin in 2009.)

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest we wait a couple of years before we start labelling Jordan and Anton busts.
Posted Image

#2788 Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

is that a third line or second line?

I think whatever line lapierre ends up centering will take the 1st line defensive match ups. If that's the case, we may see a line like higgins-lapierre-hansen as line 2b or 3 which would be a killer line.

However, this leaves us with burrows, raymond, schroeder, kassian to fill the 4 other top 6 spots. It all really depends on if AV wants to go with a really good first and third line or a well balanced top 9 in which case I'd go with:
Sedin-sedin-kassian (if anyone can carry a rookie it's the twins)
Raymond-schroeder-hansen (two quick defensively responsible forwards sheltering schroeder)
higgins-lapierre-burrows (nightmare to play against)
Volpatti-malhotra-ebbett

#2789 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'm pretty sure the situation wouldn't be much different had we instead taken two of:

Kyle Palmieri, Philippe Paradis, Dylan Olsen, Mikko Koskinen, Landon Ferraro, Carl Klingberg, Chris Brown, Matt Clark, Alex Chiasson, Jakob Silfverberg, Zach Budish, Charles-Olivier Roussel, William Wrenn, Ethan Werek, Brett Ponich, Kenny Ryan, Brian Dumoulin, or Richard Panik.

(All were selected between Schroeder and Rodin in 2009.)

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest we wait a couple of years before we start labelling Jordan and Anton busts.

Ya, I woudn't label anyone a bust until they are 25. But you have to admit they are trending that way.
Neither has been dominant or stood out at the AHL level and they are approaching 23 years old. Be nice if one of them had showed a little more. These guys were both drafted for their skill and offense, and we haven't seen much of it in lower levels.

I can't answer for all the other players on your list, but the first guy you listed, Palmieri, has put up a point a game in the AHL over the last two years. Better production than Schroeder. There are names you failed to mention as well like O'Reilly and Johannson.

I'm just saying it would be nice if there was some sort of production from these guys that would indicate they are trending in a positive direction towards being offensive contributors. It is really hard to see right now.

Jordan and Anton are not alone. The system doesn't have any forwards in that 20-25 year old age group that looks ready to take the next step as top 6 contributor. I would say Kassian is the closest one, but even he has some serious questions.

Grabner and Hodgson were dealt and none of our other prospects have filled that void to this point.

#2790 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

I think Schroeder will be a decent NHL player with a few productive seasons to seasons where he doesn't make the NHL. A low end second line center who will perform decent enough but will often be pushed out next in favour of bigger players. His strength and defensive ability might keep him around, on offensive ability alone he will have trouble.
Sig too big.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.