3141 replies to this topic

#2791 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Ya, I woudn't label anyone a bust until they are 25. But you have to admit they are trending that way.
Neither has been dominant or stood out at the AHL level and they are approaching 23 years old.  Be nice if one of them had showed a little more.  These guys were both drafted for their skill and offense, and we haven't seen much of it in lower levels.

I can't answer for all the other players on your list, but the first guy you listed, Palmieri, has put up a point a game in the AHL over the last two years.  Better production than Schroeder.   There are names you failed to mention as well like O'Reilly and Johannson.

I'm just saying it would be nice if there was some sort of production from these guys that would indicate they are trending in a positive direction towards being offensive contributors.  It is really hard to see right now.

Jordan and Anton are not alone.  The system doesn't have any forwards in that 20-25 year old age group that looks ready to take the next step as top 6 contributor.  I would say Kassian is the closest one, but even he has some serious questions.

Grabner and Hodgson were dealt and none of our other prospects have filled that void to this point.

Obviously, O'Reilly and/or Johansson would have been nice to get instead, and would definitely make a difference. But the point of my post is that by far the majority of the guys selected are in the same boat as Schroeder and Rodin - still working on their game, and far from sure bets to be NHL impact players. There's very few who I would say are more likely than Schroeder to pan out as something of value.

Grabner may not have panned out had we kept him. And there are volumes still left to write on how Hodgson's and Kassian's careers will pan out. At this point, it's really just wait and see.

Personally, I think Schroeder and Kassian's stats are artificially low because of playing on a low-scoring team. I have a feeling that it is in large part because of a lack of offensive skill on the Wolves' blueline.

But the team's lack of real D prospects isn't much of a story, since Gillis has managed to stock our blueline well with trades and signings.
Posted Image

#2792 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Got state it somewhere.

I am not a believer in Jordan.

Would love to be wrong but I just don't see him doing well in the big show.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#2793 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,283 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Schroeder's centering the 2nd PP unit at camp today.
Burrows and Higgins are on his wings.

Subbancopy.jpg

#2794 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I can respect a differing opinion, but I always just hate hearing things like:

"He WILL be a bust"
"He will NEVER make it to the NHL"

as if they know something we don't.

RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#2795 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

im hoping booths injury wont be a factor in him NOT making the team. I just cant see vignault playing 2 rookies on the same line. If kass is a 2nd line winger i find it difficult to believe schroeder has a chance over the veteran ebbett.

#2796 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I hope AV tries out Schroeder and Kassian. They had some good chemistry while on the Wolves. Throw someone like Hansen or Higgins on the wing and it could be a nice line.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2797 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I hope AV tries out Schroeder and Kassian. They had some good chemistry while on the Wolves. Throw someone like Hansen or Higgins on the wing and it could be a nice line.

I'm not opposed to that. IMO though, a Raymond - Lapierre - Higgins/Hansen line would get more icetime. The Schroeder - Kassian line would be a 3rd line, which is fine.
Posted Image

#2798 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

PP units were a focus today at camp. 1st unit had Hansen with the Sedins and Elder/Garrison on the point. 2nd unit had Higgins with Schroeder and Burrows, with Bieksa and Hamhuis on the point. Looks like Schroeder is getting his shot!

2d7ye0p.jpg

#2799 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Are the Canucks going to steam anything from camp, scimmages etc? other teams seem to be doing it.

#2800 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

PP units were a focus today at camp. 1st unit had Hansen with the Sedins and Elder/Garrison on the point. 2nd unit had Higgins with Schroeder and Burrows, with Bieksa and Hamhuis on the point. Looks like Schroeder is getting his shot!

Was ebbett given anytime on the powerplay? If not i'm wondering if he will be given that opportunity tomorrow.

#2801 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Was ebbett given anytime on the powerplay? If not i'm wondering if he will be given that opportunity tomorrow.

No, Ebbett wasn't given a shot. He was more utilized as a PK'er. I'm thinking that 2nd line spot is Schroeder's.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#2802 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

No, Ebbett wasn't given a shot. He was more utilized as a PK'er. I'm thinking that 2nd line spot is Schroeder's.

definitely a good sign for schroeder, now he just needs to play well in the scrimmages.

#2803 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,636 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Good. Schroeder's playmaking abilities are likely to shine through on the powerplay.

How did the first powerplay unit look?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2804 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Good. Schroeder's playmaking abilities are likely to shine through on the powerplay.

How did the first powerplay unit look?

From what I heard the Sedins didn't really try for much of the game. LOL!
Posted Image

#2805 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Why isn't Kassian being used on the 1st unit in front of the net??

#2806 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Makes too much sense for AV to try that.

Posted Image

#2807 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Makes too much sense for AV to try that.

i dont think they want to put too much pressure on zack, we all know what this market is like.

#2808 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

You got your wish.
CDC Sim Connected: Nashville GM
LOB (PS3): Boston GM

#2809 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I guess he will get his chance to make an impact in a top 6 role with 2 of these players being injured.

We will see what he offers to the team once the season gets rolling and everybody is caught up in conditioning.

I'm excited, but realistic here.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#2810 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Was not impressed with Schroeder. Couldn't make a play to save his life. Ebbet look so much more poised and experienced...

#2811 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Was not impressed with Schroeder. Couldn't make a play to save his life. Ebbet look so much more poised and experienced...

Are you sure you were watching the same scrimmage as I was? I thought it was the other way around?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#2812 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Not sure if sarcasm...

Posted Image

#2813 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

POPULAR

You're clearly trolling. Schroeder had 2 assists tonight while Ebbett couldn't make a play to save his life. Schroeder looked fast and read plays well all night. Even in his own zone, Schroeder wasn't a liability. Some beautiful tape to tape passes from Schroeder, that one in particular with Raymond going to the net is like threading the needle.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#2814 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

While Schroeder was better, Ebbet definitely wasn't that bad. He made a real nice pass from behind the net out front to Gordon who shot it into Luongo's chest.

That Raymond Schroeder Kassian line sure looked good, aside from Kassian making a few bad plays.
Posted Image

#2815 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

OK guys, I re-watched the highlights. I was clearly smoking something very strong last night.

Schroeder made some friggin' sweet passes. Could have had another assist on that bang-bang play where Raymond missed the net. That was a beautiful play btw.

I'm loving the chemistry on that line. Having Kassian floating around gives the defending team always something to worry about. As long as he drives to the net and creates havoc they will put up points.

Any since when did Raymond become better than average?? LOL

#2816 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

My only bark against Schroeder was his lack of success in the faceoff dot in the past two intersquad games.

I know facing the likes of Manny Malhotra (one of the best faceoff players in the NHL) and Henrik Sedin (Elite center in the NHL) but cmon. Schroeder even lost to Anton Rodin several times who isn't even a natural center. Schroeder will need to work on that cause if he is going to be taking draws on the second line we need to count on him to win those. Often I saw him lose one in the offensive zone where I assume he will be taking them, he lost the posession too many times. If you watch that line didn't usually sustain offensive pressure but had to gain control in their own end first.

I love Schroeder, he had a very good offensive game yesterday and really showed some promise, but he needs to work on the faceoffs if he expects to hang around. But something he has an edge over many is that he has great vision, and ability to place the puck on players sticks. His saucer passes are ridiculous.

2moy3iq.png

#2817 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

My only bark against Schroeder was his lack of success in the faceoff dot in the past two intersquad games.

I know facing the likes of Manny Malhotra (one of the best faceoff players in the NHL) and Henrik Sedin (Elite center in the NHL) but cmon. Schroeder even lost to Anton Rodin several times who isn't even a natural center. Schroeder will need to work on that cause if he is going to be taking draws on the second line we need to count on him to win those. Often I saw him lose one in the offensive zone where I assume he will be taking them, he lost the posession too many times. If you watch that line didn't usually sustain offensive pressure but had to gain control in their own end first.

I love Schroeder, he had a very good offensive game yesterday and really showed some promise, but he needs to work on the faceoffs if he expects to hang around. But something he has an edge over many is that he has great vision, and ability to place the puck on players sticks. His saucer passes are ridiculous.

He actually beat Manny a few times in last nights game, I think. You're right though, his faceoff ability needs work. Maybe if he's up all season Manny can work on it with him.

Posted Image

#2818 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,881 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

and he's sent down...
https://twitter.com/...376449434927104

Edited by avelanch, 18 January 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#2819 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

and he's sent down...
https://twitter.com/...376449434927104

unreal, what does a young player have to do to make this team? - hopefully this is just for gilman's cap magic and gets them exactly at 70million to take maximum advantage of the LTIR space.

#2820 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

hopefully this is just for gilman's cap magic and gets them exactly at 70million to take maximum advantage of the LTIR space.

That is why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.