The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

I don't know. Perhaps it was a failed experiment and we should try what has worked for him in the past, namely centering a line with big powerforwards like 6'3" 200lb Ryan Stoa, 6'1" 215lb Colin Wilson & 6'3" 200lb James VanRiemsdyk.

Archibald-Schroeder-Mancari

Afterall, if 5'9" 184lbs Derek Roy can play C at the NHL level with powerforward wingers as insulation, Schroeder ought to be able to do the same.

Good point. If you look at who could potentially play centre, we have Hodgson, Schroeder, Friesen and Ebbett for the top 3 lines. Doell's not exactly a beast either. Looks like the Wolves won't have a whole lot of size down the middle anyway. But it shouldn't matter, if they're good enough and provided they have size on the wings to work with.

Whatever the case, I just hope we don't f*ck up his development switching him around and around trying to get things working for him.

Guest Dasein

Yeah, Jordan Schroeder is a pro now. Development camps are for prospects who have not yet made the jump to pro yet to learn how to work out like a pro, and Jordan played a season in the AHL already, so he doesn't need to attend the camp.

Jordan's offensive production in the AHL were not as good as i was expecting. Hopefully he can

find his game and break out of this funk. Was he injured or playing hurt or something?

He came back from a high ankle sprain but was still feeling the effects of it during the 2nd half of the season. Hopefully our young prospects will all stay healthy and develop consistency next year. Always sucks to see them lose development time when they get injured.

Guest Dasein

He came back from a high ankle sprain but was still feeling the effects of it during the 2nd half of the season. Hopefully our young prospects will all stay healthy and develop consistency next year. Always sucks to see them lose development time when they get injured.

That's no excuse.

He was not accustomed to a pro season and wasn't in good enough shape to handle the grind of a 82-game season. It was his first season, so now he should be ready after a really hard summer training to get into pro shape. Nothing to be ashamed of as a 20 year old playing his first pro season to not be in good enough shape.

Schroeder will be better next season.

That's no excuse.

He was not accustomed to a pro season and wasn't in good enough shape to handle the grind of a 82-game season. It was his first season, so now he should be ready after a really hard summer training to get into pro shape. Nothing to be ashamed of as a 20 year old playing his first pro season to not be in good enough shape.

Schroeder will be better next season.

An injury that limits his effectiveness by hampering his movement isn't an excuse, but then he shouldn't be ashamed for not being in good enough shape? I don't follow...

Schroeder is gonna be good this year. Last year was a real transition for him, but come on, he showed flashes of brilliance and when he first stepped into the AHL he put up strong numbers when he still had some confidence going from college. He'll start the year off on a good foot and we'll see it continue. I bet he'll put up 40-50 points this year in the A and the next will be ready to be a call-up.

There's no way this guy was going to step right in when we picked him in the draft. He's too small. He was clearly a bit of a project pick and needed some time against men.

Schroeder is gonna be good this year. Last year was a real transition for him, but come on, he showed flashes of brilliance and when he first stepped into the AHL he put up strong numbers when he still had some confidence going from college. He'll start the year off on a good foot and we'll see it continue. I bet he'll put up 40-50 points this year in the A and the next will be ready to be a call-up.

There's no way this guy was going to step right in when we picked him in the draft. He's too small. He was clearly a bit of a project pick and needed some time against men.

I hope thats the case, for his lack of offensive production in the AHL. I have to admit, i have

high hopes for Schroeder. I dont see him making the Canucks team this year and probley

wont next year either...

he'll need at least this entire year, but people really shouldn't give up on him. what I saw of him he shows flashes of brilliance, he just needs to put it all together consistently. far too often would a shift go by without me even knowing he was on the ice, whereas every time cody or shiro were on the ice you knew it. Even when Billy was on the ice you'd know it.

Guest Dasein

An injury that limits his effectiveness by hampering his movement isn't an excuse, but then he shouldn't be ashamed for not being in good enough shape? I don't follow...

Blaming his poor season on a injury late in the season is definitely an excuse.

Being in poor shape for the PROS stepping out of college is NOT something to be ashamed of. It is an excuse for his poor play.

However, the injury is not a legitimate excuse for his poor play.

Jordan just wasn't ready for the PROS. Injury or not, he would have struggled.

Blaming his poor season on a injury late in the season is definitely an excuse.

Being in poor shape for the PROS stepping out of college is NOT something to be ashamed of. It is an excuse for his poor play.

However, the injury is not a legitimate excuse for his poor play.

Jordan just wasn't ready for the PROS. Injury or not, he would have struggled.

the problem is that he (and Cody) got injured just as they were starting to mesh with Shiro on the top line and were really starting to produce like crazy. then the injuries, and movement up/down from the big club, and their line was split up, never to be resurrected. Jordan ended up on the 3rd line with less skilled players when he came back and struggled as a result. he would have struggled a bit due to the extreme increase in # of games, to be sure, but he wouldn't have struggled as much as he did if it weren't for the injury. cody was able to recover, but he centered Bill and Shiro on the top line, so he had the talent/support to be able to do so (plus he was used to extended seasons already).

Guest Dasein

the problem is that he (and Cody) got injured just as they were starting to mesh with Shiro on the top line and were really starting to produce like crazy. then the injuries, and movement up/down from the big club, and their line was split up, never to be resurrected. Jordan ended up on the 3rd line with less skilled players when he came back and struggled as a result. he would have struggled a bit due to the extreme increase in # of games, to be sure, but he wouldn't have struggled as much as he did if it weren't for the injury. cody was able to recover, but he centered Bill and Shiro on the top line, so he had the talent/support to be able to do so (plus he was used to extended seasons already).

Still this is NO excuse for a pro to make.

Injuries are a part of the game.

Still this is NO excuse for a pro to make.

Injuries are a part of the game.

I'm still trying to understand what you're saying here Dasein...

Are you basically saying that Schroeder was having a poor season prior to his injury? So if he hadn't been injured, and simply kept pace with what he did for the first part of the season, he would've had a subpar season?

I can see that point of view. I won't debate his season with you, I'm just confused by your way of saying it. What I'm reading it as is this:

The controllable variable, conditioning, is excusable. IE: Jordan was not in good enough shape for a pro season and needed to prepare better in the offseason. You're saying this is excusable, he's young, he'll learn, etc. I can agree.

Then it seems like you're saying that un-controllable variable, injury, is inexcusable. IE: Jordan should've sucked up the pain and performed to a better standard as soon as he was back on the ice without missing a beat. That seems a little unrealistic.

Sorry if I'm nit-picking, I'm just trying to understand you're point of view.

Cheers,

Ramone

Guest Dasein

I'm still trying to understand what you're saying here Dasein...

Are you basically saying that Schroeder was having a poor season prior to his injury? So if he hadn't been injured, and simply kept pace with what he did for the first part of the season, he would've had a subpar season?

I can see that point of view. I won't debate his season with you, I'm just confused by your way of saying it. What I'm reading it as is this:

The controllable variable, conditioning, is excusable. IE: Jordan was not in good enough shape for a pro season and needed to prepare better in the offseason. You're saying this is excusable, he's young, he'll learn, etc. I can agree.

Then it seems like you're saying that un-controllable variable, injury, is inexcusable. IE: Jordan should've sucked up the pain and performed to a better standard as soon as he was back on the ice without missing a beat. That seems a little unrealistic.

Sorry if I'm nit-picking, I'm just trying to understand you're point of view.

Cheers,

Ramone

Alright I'll try my best. Being out of shape in inexcusable for someone who's been through the grind of the pro season already ie. Sergei Shirokov being out of shape at the start of last season is inexcusable because he already played 1 season in the AHL prior to that.

Right now, Schroeder has already played a season in the AHL, so he now knows how much better conditioning he needs to be successful at this level. If Schroeder shows up again and has poor conditioning, leading him to tire out in the second half, then that is absolutely inexcusable like Shirokov. However, coming from college to the AHL for the first time, I give him a hall pass for not being at the tip-top condition to last a 82-game pro schedule because he has never had to play that many games in a season and didn't know what it took. He can control his conditioning and improve on it.

Injuries are inexcusable because it is a part of the game - he can't control it and he can't improve on NOT being injured. He's going to get injured again some time in the future. If he struggles EVERY time he comes back from an injury, and thinks it's okay to blame a poor season on injuries, then that's a problem. He needs to be able to pick himself up and get going no matter what to be a pro.

Conditioning is something he can control and become better at - and since it was his first year, I give him the free pass that rookies get for not being ready for the grind of a 82-game season. However, I'm not going to turn a blind eye to his season because of an injury.

Circumstantially, his conditioning can be forgiven and be used as an "excuse" - a special pass given to rookies. However, injuries are never an excuse at any point of his career.

Archived