Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

b3.

Kevin Connauton Talk

1,411 posts in this topic

Bang on.

It's like with the whole Patrick White thing before we traded him, people seemingly took pleasure in his statistical shortcomings and lack of development.

Oh ya for sure...its like a dog chasing its tail.

Patrick White - didn't live up to his potential, stats didn't show it, and he gets flamed in CDC

Prab Rai - puts up good numbers in junior the last 2 seasons, has some unknown potential...gets flamed as well

Mike Gillis - puts a winning, exciting product on the ice, stats don't lie, and yet he too gets flamed because ironically people wanted to get rid of our prospects to get some UFA help on the deadline

what do u people honestly want? LOL

What's wrong with this forum can be explained in 2 simple words. Homer goggles. End of story, it is absolute hilarity the level of expectation some people have for KCon now. He SHOULD develop into a nice NHL player one day, but i have literally seen "Connauton could play for Nucks next year" and thats just absurd. People see stats and freak out and dont stop or arent able to think or comprehend how a Junior game translates to the NHL and about the players game as a whole and not the offensive numbers he puts up.

Look at a guy like Gilbert Burle, all the talent in the world and all the stats to back it up in junior. Had the heart the grit and everything to go with it. But his game was rushed and it shows that it doesnt work in the NHL in a star offensive role. Its that 1/2 step, that 1 wrong read, that 1 moment of indecisiveness that makes or breaks a players game once he turns pro. And right now Kevin has alot of the little things to work on.

I want to see him in junior next year because thats whats best for him, not because its a failure. With the state of his game its best for him to play somewhere that he doesnt need to worry about producing offensively because that will come naturally. And with the offense not being forced he can concentrate on his reads, his gap control, his rotation, his defensive stick and all the little short comings he has that will kill him if not worked out before he turns pro.

Oh and Prab Rai? Do any of you really see any reason he will be able to take his game to the pro level? Other than "he scored 40 goals", sure but his PPG is DOWN this year from last and the one before. Hes a TERRIBLE skater which is the single hardest thing to overcome when turning pro. He doesnt have the strength to battel for pucks succesfully and hes a VERY lazy player. That is why Rai will not succeed as a pro, anything other than "Hes a 40g scorer" to rebutle with?

What's wrong with this forum can be explained in 2 simple words. Homer goggles. End of story, it is absolute hilarity the level of expectation some people have for KCon now. He SHOULD develop into a nice NHL player one day, but i have literally seen "Connauton could play for Nucks next year" and thats just absurd. People see stats and freak out and dont stop or arent able to think or comprehend how a Junior game translates to the NHL and about the players game as a whole and not the offensive numbers he puts up.

Look at a guy like Gilbert Burle, all the talent in the world and all the stats to back it up in junior. Had the heart the grit and everything to go with it. But his game was rushed and it shows that it doesnt work in the NHL in a star offensive role. Its that 1/2 step, that 1 wrong read, that 1 moment of indecisiveness that makes or breaks a players game once he turns pro. And right now Kevin has alot of the little things to work on.

I want to see him in junior next year because thats whats best for him, not because its a failure. With the state of his game its best for him to play somewhere that he doesnt need to worry about producing offensively because that will come naturally. And with the offense not being forced he can concentrate on his reads, his gap control, his rotation, his defensive stick and all the little short comings he has that will kill him if not worked out before he turns pro.

Patrick White - didn't live up to his potential, stats didn't show it, and he gets flamed in CDC

Prab Rai - puts up good numbers in junior the last 2 seasons, has some unknown potential...gets flamed as well

Mike Gillis - puts a winning, exciting product on the ice, stats don't lie, and yet he too gets flamed because ironically people wanted to get rid of our prospects to get some UFA help on the deadline

Oh and Prab Rai? Do any of you really see any reason he will be able to take his game to the pro level? Other than "he scored 40 goals", sure but his PPG is DOWN this year from last and the one before. Hes a TERRIBLE skater which is the single hardest thing to overcome when turning pro. He doesnt have the strength to battel for pucks succesfully and hes a VERY lazy player. That is why Rai will not succeed as a pro, anything other than "Hes a 40g scorer" to rebutle with?

Why are you guys so offended at Siren's suggestion that KC might be better served back with the Giants next year? I'm not so sure the Giants is where he should be but I'm not going to be upset if he stays another year there. I honestly don't expect him in Vancouver for another 2 years minimum and wouldn't be shocked if it took 4 years. Don't see how anyone suggesting he might take some time to develop is being negative.

Just the way it is...and please don't compare the criticisms of Kevin to the criticisms of White. White was obviously not developing at all and KC is doing terrific. All of the negative comments about White were totally justified even if all the nuthuggers couldn't see it. In fact if White was still with the organization there would be an army of guys on here getting upset if any of the realists called him a bust. Yet when he was traded many of those same guys sounded relieved they did not have to defend their position anymore because they knew how idiotic they were being (not all, some...and some believed the nonsense they were spouting)....

Anyway, I like his progress, but constructive critique isn't hurting him and it is necessary to be objective.

Why are you guys so offended at Siren's suggestion that KC might be better served back with the Giants next year? I'm not so sure the Giants is where he should be but I'm not going to be upset if he stays another year there. I honestly don't expect him in Vancouver for another 2 years minimum and wouldn't be shocked if it took 4 years. Don't see how anyone suggesting he might take some time to develop is being negative.

Just the way it is...and please don't compare the criticisms of Kevin to the criticisms of White. White was obviously not developing at all and KC is doing terrific. All of the negative comments about White were totally justified even if all the nuthuggers couldn't see it. In fact if White was still with the organization there would be an army of guys on here getting upset if any of the realists called him a bust. Yet when he was traded many of those same guys sounded relieved they did not have to defend their position anymore because they knew how idiotic they were being (not all, some...and some believed the nonsense they were spouting)....

Anyway, I like his progress, but constructive critique isn't hurting him and it is necessary to be objective.

Im not offended with his comment, i mean regardless whether he ends up with the giants or not, he does need some developing. Fact is its a never ending debate on what the fans think of our prospects. What do they really want? honestly? One player posts crapty numbers..WHAM theres a thread on how he sucks....and another prospect who actually posts good numbers, BAM theres another thread on how the numbers are deflated or will never translate and people breaking down their games. blah blah blah this guy doesn't go to the net, blah blah hes too small...Gretzky wasn't an adonis when he broke in the NHL, and if Alex Burrows was so awesome, why didn't he get drafted in the first place then?

I for one keep my expectations tempered, I know Rai, Connauton, Tochkin, Hodgson etc. did pretty well this season, and who knows what they can they make of their talents, but with the numbers they put up...im at least a tad optimistic on what the canucks system brings.

Developing prospects. Art or science? There's a methodology for doing it the right way. Sadly, for Canucks fans we've had a history of rushing or ruining our prospects, or just drafting the wrong prospects. There needs to be a system where the prospects aren't rushed, but also aren't left withering on the vine either. When a prospect is ready to go in the NHL, the team should give them every chance to crack the lineup.

If we can start developing our prospects well, we will have a deeper and stronger team as a whole. Of course that all depends on our drafting too! I think Gillis is working on the right foundations. I'm glad we're not just throwing away our prospects for rentals. We need to stock our shelves first.

you are the first and ONLY person to say that he is a terrible skater, you're hate on for this kid is just ridiculous.

how about that he is only 20 yrs old??

call it Home Goggles if you want but some people like to think positive and give these kids a chance because after all its not bunch of 50 yr old men trying to learn a new trick.

http://www.vancouvergiants.com/home.htm

Two Vancouver Giants were yesterday named to the WHL Western Conference First All Star Team. Both forward Craig Cunningham, a unanimous selection, and defenseman Kevin Connauton, were honoured with the selection, and both All Stars talked to Morley Scott about their selection and the upcoming playoff series with the Kamloops Blazers

what were his season final stats?

Im stoked to watch Connauton play against the Blazers in kamloops

I really think he going to be good in the playoffs! Do you think MG will sign him to a ELC this summer?

what were his season final stats?

Im stoked to watch Connauton play against the Blazers in kamloops

So what now sweet cheeks, Connauton got selected as 1st All Star D-Man. Oh Sorry, I forgot you know more than the selection commitee.

i think almost everyone agrees that he does need to work on his defensive game but to stay in the WHL another year won't be as good for him as going a step and playing against men. physically he is ready to make the jump and if he is challenged a bit more then that will him focus and work more on his complete game. i think it would just be a step back to hold him the WHL for another year.