Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

b3.

Kevin Connauton Talk

I remember reading that he was going to be back with the Giants next year. But of course, if he really impresses the coaching staff and they think that he's ready for the pros, I'd love to see him play for the Moose. His defensive play has gotten better by quite a bit this year, apparently, but he could still use some improvement, which is why some poster on this thread was ripping his gap control, reads, stickwork etc. I'm not saying that he's terrible defensively, but the thing is that he will get eaten alive at the pro level if he's struggling defensively in juniors, hence the extra year under Don Hay. Which won't be a bad thing at all.

To be honest I'd rather he stay one more year with Hay than turn pro and get sent down to the Salmon Kings. Their coach, Mark Morrison, just doesn't seem like a coach who can help defensive prospects develop. How many people has he even churned out for the Moose on a permanent basis anyway? I mean, when you consider the callups that the Moose have had over the last couple of years, they're usually from other ECHL teams and not Victoria.

Even more of an absolute beast then. tongue.gif

Earlier, I thought Connauton should go to the Moose. But the advantage of of keeping him with the Giants is that a year of his entry level contract won't get burned. Being a 3rd round pick, his cap hit will probably be close to the league minimum of 500 000. Thats 3 years of 500 000. Having a good defensman at that rate could be crucial with us at the cap limit. Giving him another year in the WHL will make him better for those 3 years.

Earlier, I thought Connauton should go to the Moose. But the advantage of of keeping him with the Giants is that a year of his entry level contract won't get burned. Being a 3rd round pick, his cap hit will probably be close to the league minimum of 500 000. Thats 3 years of 500 000. Having a good defensman at that rate could be crucial with us at the cap limit. Giving him another year in the WHL will make him better for those 3 years.

Being on the moose will not burn a year of his pro contract either (he needs to play 10 NHL games for that to happen). And what development will happen when the guy has already maxed out the ability level of the league he is currently in? Yeah, he could improve defensively, but playing against kids is NOT going to do that. He'd be, by far, the oldest player on the team, and one of the oldest in the entire league. there is no reason for him to stay and play in the WHL, it will only stunt his overall development. Arniel can develop his defensive game, and he can do it against stronger competition. He's already 20, why have him as an overager who is not being challenged? it would be idiotic.

Um...no.

AHL is a pro league, so his pro contract will start. But I'm inclined to agree that the AHL may be the best place for him to develop.

i went to the giants game the other day and this guy was a huge factor. i know hes a defenseman and all but he can score like a forward. but his defense game could get much better.

Being on the moose will not burn a year of his pro contract either (he needs to play 10 NHL games for that to happen). And what development will happen when the guy has already maxed out the ability level of the league he is currently in? Yeah, he could improve defensively, but playing against kids is NOT going to do that. He'd be, by far, the oldest player on the team, and one of the oldest in the entire league. there is no reason for him to stay and play in the WHL, it will only stunt his overall development. Arniel can develop his defensive game, and he can do it against stronger competition. He's already 20, why have him as an overager who is not being challenged? it would be idiotic.

No, for players signed at 18 or 19 they get extensions for any year they do not play 10 games in the NHL before they turn 20.

I don't remember if Kevin signed already, but he's already 20, so it's burning no matter what next season. If he hasn't signed yet, and he signs his contract this year, there will be 3 years remaining in his contract (end of 2012-13 season it is up), if he signs next year, there will be 2 years on the contract (according to the table above) meaning it will still end after the 2012-13 season. So there is no advantage, contract wise, to keep him in the WHL, and development wise I think it's merely holding him back in his overall game, and he can progress much better in the AHL.

Ya, another year of learning how to play D under Don Hay should go a long ways to turning him into a pro. Being that dominante offensively will allow him to concentrate on playing D and developing his all around game without being ineffective offensively.

Hey I think everybody has made some good arguments in the end he still has the playoffs and offseason/preseason to impress so we don't even have all the facts to look at yet. The Managment make the decision anyways and I'm sure another year in the WHL wouldn't hurt but if Gillis feels its time for him to move on then he obviously has confidence in him and thats nothing but a good thing.

No, for players signed at 18 or 19 they get extensions for any year they do not play 10 games in the NHL before they turn 20.

I don't remember if Kevin signed already, but he's already 20, so it's burning no matter what next season. If he hasn't signed yet, and he signs his contract this year, there will be 3 years remaining in his contract (end of 2012-13 season it is up), if he signs next year, there will be 2 years on the contract (according to the table above) meaning it will still end after the 2012-13 season. So there is no advantage, contract wise, to keep him in the WHL, and development wise I think it's merely holding him back in his overall game, and he can progress much better in the AHL.

another win for the Giants in an awesome hockey game last night, now lead the series 3-0. Game 4 tonight 7PM!!

Well they have 2 years from the draft to sign Connauton, so if he was going to do another year in the WHL, they wouldn't give him a contract yet.

As an example, Grabner signed his contract right after the 2006 training camp when he was 18, so his contract slid 1 year because he didn't get called up. So he has 1 year left one his deal even though next season will be his 4th year of Pro hockey.

So this means Schroeder's contract will slide 1 year if he doesn't play with the Canucks next season since he is only 19 right now.

Connauton is beastin! Gotta love how much attention this guy receives when he's on the powerplay. biggrin.gif

Connauton is beastin! Gotta love how much attention this guy receives when he's on the powerplay. biggrin.gif

almost every PP this series he played the whole 2 mins or less when they scored. IMO this guy offensively, is as good as any d-man in the CHL. always seems to make the right decision with the puck on his stick and if he can just make the smarter plays without the puck he will have a long career in the NHL.

Agreed. Hopefully he can transfer his offence to the NHL down the road. Even if he's half as good offensively in the NHL this guy will be amazing. But at the same time he's still got a few years to go before he becomes a Canuck.