Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

b3.

Kevin Connauton Talk

1,411 posts in this topic

Pretty much guarantees no Giants next season (in case anyone still thought to the contrary)

We all know Manitoba is weak defensively... Connauton should have no problems there.

We all know Manitoba is weak defensively... Connauton should have no problems there.

Does Connauton get top pair minutes against opposing top lines next year on the Moose?

I dont think so.

I would rather see him log 30+ minutes in all situations on the Giants, and actually show he can shut down people.

He hasnt been able to do that yet at the junior level, why would he at the PRO level?

Does Connauton get top pair minutes against opposing top lines next year on the Moose?

I dont think so.

I would rather see him log 30+ minutes in all situations on the Giants, and actually show he can shut down people.

He hasnt been able to do that yet at the junior level, why would he at the PRO level?

There's always the option of sending him to the Victoria Salmon Kings in the ECHL. ECHL > WHL.

There's always the option of sending him to the Victoria Salmon Kings in the ECHL. ECHL > WHL.

because there is no way in hell they are going to waste a year of his contract playing against children as an overager in the WHL. he's going to be sent to the AHL to develop, they need all the help they can get and there is absolutely no reason why he should return to the Giants. he's never going to be a shutdown D-man, so get that out of your mind. he does a good enough job defensively to make the jump, and he's an offensive force. he will play the Moose PP and be on the 2nd pairing most likely. If, out of training camp/a brief stint with the moose, he is not deemed ready, then he may be reassigned to the giants or Victoria, but that would be a hell of a setback that would be required. The ducks players will not be on the moose roster next season, and Oberg might make the Canucks. the moose have a thin D as it is, nevermind next year.

send mike green down to the AHL and he will get exposed at least once a game by a younger guy but that doesnt mean that he isn't good enough for the NHL. you want the kid to play to his strengths and his strength is his offense and to force him to focus on defense only would be asking him to change his game and put him out of his element. it's not like he can't defend at all because he is fairly good in his zone and is not as bad as people think he is. he will improve his defense playing in the AHL, when you are pushed you have no choice but to push back and in the WHL he will not be pushed hard enough for him to improve. Kevin needs to make the jump to the pro ranks now either with moose or Salmon kings because there's not much more he can do with the Giants.

send mike green down to the AHL and he will get exposed at least once a game by a younger guy but that doesnt mean that he isn't good enough for the NHL. you want the kid to play to his strengths and his strength is his offense and to force him to focus on defense only would be asking him to change his game and put him out of his element. it's not like he can't defend at all because he is fairly good in his zone and is not as bad as people think he is. he will improve his defense playing in the AHL, when you are pushed you have no choice but to push back and in the WHL he will not be pushed hard enough for him to improve. Kevin needs to make the jump to the pro ranks now either with moose or Salmon kings because there's not much more he can do with the Giants.

For the guy who posts the most on the prospect forum.....you dont lose a year on your contract if you dont play in the NHL. Remember the nine games rule?

Im not saying he is going to be a shutdown guy, but when he is exposed by "children" as you so politely called it, I definately think he needs to refine his game in his own end to become better.

Logging 30 in the WHL to me seems more beneficial than logging 15 in the AHL, with most of it on the PP....he isnt good enough to log more at the PRO level yet.

Temper you expectations, or you'll be sorely dissapointed.

I think a big factor in all of this is what happens with Arniel. If he gets an NHL gig, it would depend who's his replacement. If it someone who's good with developing young defensemen then it should be a no-brainer to send him to the Moose.

Playing 30 minutes per game in the WHL makes no sense unless you're training him to log huge minutes. It's all about the skill set of the players he's going against. He's experienced the WHL level, he needs to play against men to find out ways to offset his defensive liabilities.

He also needs to work on his offense against AHL level goaltending.

I think he'd have to have an abysmal training camp to be sent back to the WHL.

I dont think so.

I agree with the sentiment that at this stage, it's better for Kevin to start learning the pro game if he could cut it in the AHL. 15 mins a night with PP time is fine by me. Offensively he has dominated the dub and defensively he's adequate (from all accounts).

Also, I would NOT want to see Kevin end up in the ECHL under ANY circumstance. The moose will not have many veteran D next year and if Kevin still can't cut it it is not a good sign. When was the last time a half decent prospect anywhere toiled in the ECHL for anytime longer than a conditioning stint?

Edler, Bourdon, Bieksa and even McIver jumped straight to the AHL after they finished Junior or College. NO to ECHL.

I agree with the sentiment that at this stage, it's better for Kevin to start learning the pro game if he could cut it in the AHL. 15 mins a night with PP time is fine by me. Offensively he has dominated the dub and defensively he's adequate (from all accounts).

Also, I would NOT want to see Kevin end up in the ECHL under ANY circumstance. The moose will not have many veteran D next year and if Kevin still can't cut it it is not a good sign. When was the last time a half decent prospect anywhere toiled in the ECHL for anytime longer than a conditioning stint?

Edler, Bourdon, Bieksa and even McIver jumped straight to the AHL after they finished Junior or College. NO to ECHL.

just slow cook him in the AHL like detroit does with their prospects... imo best way to refine his defensive game.

I'd rather not have him in junior another year, the AHL is a developmental league.

McIver doesn't look like much of a future NHLer but I do agree with your point.