Good reading ;)

#32 The-Impersonator

The-Impersonator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:53 PM

My wife's cousin goes to Western Michigan. I'll see if she knows anything about the guy or has ever seen him play.

#33 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

That would be amazing if he joined the Giants!

#34 fdevji

fdevji

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:34 PM

LINK: http://fdevji.blogsp...-report_18.html

"I've covered WMU hockey for the Kalamazoo Gazette since 2006 and, thus, got to see Connauton play a lot last year. In a word: amazing. Skates like the wind. Hands. Vision. Patience. And he scored a huge goal in overtime of the first round of the CCHA tournament to help WMU win a home playoff series for the first time in 2,346 years. Sure, he's raw in some areas and, at 19, still has a lot to learn about the game. But he seems like a nice kid with an enormous opportunity in front of him." - Rick Shanley, Kalamazoo Gazette

Recent article: Rodin's big change

Upcoming article(s): TBA

Farhan Devji is the author of The Hockey Farmer, and a freelance
journalist. Check out www.farhandevji.com for more information and
follow him on Twitter for up-to-the-minute news and opinion.

#35 MGrabner40

MGrabner40

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

LINK: http://fdevji.blogsp...-report_18.html

</I>

Great find farhan, looking forward to seeing how kevin will pan out. BTW what type of game/style does he play like?

Credit to Victorious Secret for the sig.

QUOTE (Paula Creamer @ Sep 30 2009, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never even got to see the pictures. At least Alicia Whitten made it worth my while to click on the thread.

#36 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

Interesting to see how he will develop. This was the pick where the Canucks went the most "off the board". Do you see the Canucks wanting him to play junior or stay in the NCAA?

Pros to staying in the NCAA are a shorter schedule will mean more opportunity to put on some bulk (one of his knocks seems to be a slight build), and he will gain experience playing against older players. Con is the Canucks would seem to have a lot less influence and access to a college prospect.
With playing for the Giants, the Canucks would be able to see him play a lot, and keep a closer eye on him. The Giants also have a decent track record with developing young defensemen for the NHL in recent years with the likes of Blum, Franson, Mikkelson, Fistric, Festerling, Mejzaros.

#37 MrTubesteak

MrTubesteak

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

If I was a betting man, I'd say that the Canucks would love to have him playing for the Giants.

Speaking of which, is there a deadline as to when Connauton has to make a final decision about whether he goes back to school in Colorado or joins the Giants?

#38 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

Sounds like he could be a good pickup I'm looking forward to following his progress, and thanks for the articles Farhan.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#39 Citizen Erased

Citizen Erased

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,131 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:20 AM

If I was a betting man, I'd say that the Canucks would love to have him playing for the Giants.

Speaking of which, is there a deadline as to when Connauton has to make a final decision about whether he goes back to school in Colorado or joins the Giants?

It's funny that you say that because tonight on Sports Talk, Brook Ward mentioned something about Connauton playing for the Giants this season.

Man, nuclear war sounds like a good time, when can I start.

Posted Image

#40 Jermi

Jermi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

i dont follow the giants much but i know they just picked up sum czech stud d man im wondering if there would be room for him. anyone know?
go canucks go

#41 Kookookajoob

Kookookajoob

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

i dont follow the giants much but i know they just picked up sum czech stud d man im wondering if there would be room for him. anyone know?

David Musil? a Czech Victor Hedman apparently :blink: though he was born in canada so he's not an import. Giants are losing Blum, Schira, Berube for sure this year so there should be room.
Came back to CDC one day, noticed nothing had changed, went back to living my life away from it.

#42 falcon

falcon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

I think I should update here. From HFboards:

With help from Canucks on convincing him.

Quote:
Kevin Connauton, a defenceman picked by the Canucks in the third round of this year’s draft, confirmed Thursday that he was leaving the Western Michigan University Broncos in favour of the Giants this coming season. He said that the Canucks agreed that he would progress better in the WHL than in college.

“You’ve got an NHL team telling you what’s best for you, you have to listen,” said the 6-foot-2, 195-pound, left-handed shooting Connauton, who’s from Edmonton. “The Giants talked to me a lot last season. I was pretty set on staying in school. I only had the one year of Junior A under my belt and I hadn’t been drafted and I felt like school gave me more time to develop. But when you end up on the radar of an NHL team, you have to go off the advice they give you.”
http://communities.c....-from-wmu.aspx

EDIT: Also, an interesting note for Danish prospect followers - Sebastian Svendsen, one of the more promising 90/91s along with Mark Miertz, is selected by and will be heading to the Giants this season.

http://www.giantsbeat.com/

Seems like a great move with the track record that the Giants have for developing young dman.

Edited by falcon, 23 July 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#43 sirensong87

sirensong87

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:44 PM

It's funny that you say that because tonight on Sports Talk, Brook Ward mentioned something about Connauton playing for the Giants this season.

Who the hell listen's to Sports Talk? Worst sports radio show this side of the equator. Put on some real sports radio that isn't run by bitter old men who hold a gruge and slag everything that they wish they could be.

#44 MrTubesteak

MrTubesteak

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

Excellent update Falcon.
I'm extremely pleased to hear this.
You might want to throw this update in the main prospects thread as well.

#45 PRNuck

PRNuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Nice! Gonna have to get out and see more games next year.

#46 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

With the Giants track record or developing Dmen and how close he will be, I love this move and look forward to having some good updates on him through the season.

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#47 falcon

falcon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:43 PM

Excellent update Falcon.
I'm extremely pleased to hear this.
You might want to throw this update in the main prospects thread as well.

Yea that's a good suggestion as the prospect thread seems to be a bit slow lately.

#48 Zackassian

Zackassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

Province article saying he will be playing for the Giants

"You have an NHL team telling you what's best for you, you have to listen," said the 6-foot-2, 195-pound, left-handed shooting Connauton, who's from Edmonton. "The Giants talked to me a lot last season. I was pretty set on staying in school. I only had the one year of Junior A under my belt and I hadn't been drafted and I felt like school gave me more time to develop.

"But when you end up on the radar of an NHL team, you have to go off the advice they give you."
It's a split squad game.

#49 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

This selection just keeps getting more and more interesting. Giants have a good record of identifying and developing d-man talent.

#50 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

I think I might have to pick up a Connauton Giants Jersey if this is the case. I like where this is going for sure.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#51 BladesOfSteel

BladesOfSteel

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

His signing was officially announced today.

http://www.oursports...ses/?id=3874744

#52 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,874 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

Good stuff! Now I might actually have to go watch some giants games. It would be awesome if we could get some more of our prospects on the Giants, they have a good track record going right now.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#53 Relentless

Relentless

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

It will be good for his development, the Giants have an excellent player development system. Hopefully he'l mold into an NHL player in a few years!

Edited by Relentless, 29 July 2009 - 08:29 PM.

#54 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

atleast get the kids name right.

We know who the article is about. Go police some little kids. For you, at least get a life. Turd.

#55 Toxic

Toxic

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

Just like the London Knights seem to be the best organization to develop forwards, the Giants are undoubtedly the best organization in the CHL at developing D-Men

Mezsaros, Franson and Blum

But you also have surprises like Regner

Can't think of a better place for Connauton to play hockey this year

(Dave Chappelle)You know why my show is good? Because the network officials say you're not smart enough to get what I'm doing, and every day I fight for you. I tell them how smart you are. Turns out, I was wrong. You people are stupid.

#56 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

Just like the London Knights seem to be the best organization to develop forwards, the Giants are undoubtedly the best organization in the CHL at developing D-Men

Can't think of a better place for Connauton to play hockey this year

I'm so excited and the more I hear about this kid the more I like him he has some size and is mobile, whats not to like. :) Him joining the Giants is just the cherry on top.

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#57 Kookookajoob

Kookookajoob

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:49 PM

the jury's still out on Franson and especially Regner. Blum looks like a stud but you never know. Mezsaros hasn't exactly set the world on fire since his rookie season. I'd say Kelowna is doing the best job in the last few years. Weber, Schenn, Edler, Myers, and Barrie's a decent prospect too.
Came back to CDC one day, noticed nothing had changed, went back to living my life away from it.

#58 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Nice to see that he'll play with Giants. I may get to see hm a few times a year in Kelowna.

#59 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

the jury's still out on Franson and especially Regner. Blum looks like a stud but you never know. Mezsaros hasn't exactly set the world on fire since his rookie season. I'd say Kelowna is doing the best job in the last few years. Weber, Schenn, Edler, Myers, and Barrie's a decent prospect too.

I'm thinking Franson's gonna challenge for the calder this year (though with so many high quality forward prospects, maybe not). His numbers in the AHL last season were excellent.
Posted Image

#60 Vertikal

Vertikal

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

I was hoping this would happen. The Giants are a winning franchise with great coaching, almost nowhere better to develop a young D-man. I hope he's up for the pressure of playing in front of so many Canuck fans every night!
We'll always remember you Bobby Lu!

QUOTE (Spinnaker @ Sep 11 2008, 07:08 AM)
"Watching Burrows play is like watching Gladiator for the first time. It's kinda badass."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.