1410 replies to this topic

#661 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,564 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

kevin with a goal and 2 assists so far in a tie game with a couple min left.

#662 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:12 AM

Kevin got 1G 2A and the shootout winner tonight against the Blazers in front of 14,400 fans. Huge crowd especially considering the Canucks were in town for their first home game post epic road trip.

Blazers tried to limit his shots from the point after his goal. He just ripped it clean past Mucha. Then on one of his assists he missed the net but it rebounded off the boards and back out front.

But having said that, he was the cause of the 5-5 goal after the Giants did a great job to get their first lead of the game and owning the 3rd period. He just let CJ Strech I believe it was just dance around him.
Posted Image

#6 David Musil. 26th among North American Skaters.
I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#663 DGFX.

DGFX.

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:32 AM

Wish I could've watched this game too, crap. If he works on his speed, I honestly think he'll turn out to be like Mike Green.
Posted Image
.KEVIN.CONNAUTON.FUTURE.OF.THE.CANUCKS.

#664 R4ff

R4ff

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:00 AM

Watching him against the blazers last night, it's apparent that he has a good shot that seems to get through to the net. He seems so poised with the puck. 1g 2a and the game winner in the shootout, a great upcomer for sure Posted Image
Ben Hutton Sig

#665 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,564 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

http://www.vancouver..._highlights.htm

highlights.

#666 Shekers

Shekers

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

Was at the game last night. I am impressed with this kid. He is very selective on his shots...but he still shoots a lot. He definitely gets his shots through though...and when he does get his shots through, it hits the net. I thought his skating was very good. He carries the puck out of his zone with a lot of confidence. I thought his passing was very good as well too. There were a couple of passes last night by other giants that were just going no where...obviously didn't have their heads-up before they passed. But Connauton always seems to make tape-to-tape passes.

GREAT game last night though...I kept telling my buddy...Kcon is going to score the game winning goal...and BAM...scores the GWG in shootout...what a beauty too. After he scored everyone on the bench swamped him. I was surprised he didn't get a star.

He definitely needs to work on his defensive side of the game. There were a couple goals which I thought he coulda done a better job. In one of the goals he basically allowed a 2-on-1 for the Kamloops. Let's hope he will develop that with the moose next year.

I'm so psyched about his kid...Can't wait to see him in a Canucks uniform.

#667 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:15 PM

Was at the game last night. I am impressed with this kid. He is very selective on his shots...but he still shoots a lot. He definitely gets his shots through though...and when he does get his shots through, it hits the net. I thought his skating was very good. He carries the puck out of his zone with a lot of confidence. I thought his passing was very good as well too. There were a couple of passes last night by other giants that were just going no where...obviously didn't have their heads-up before they passed. But Connauton always seems to make tape-to-tape passes.

GREAT game last night though...I kept telling my buddy...Kcon is going to score the game winning goal...and BAM...scores the GWG in shootout...what a beauty too. After he scored everyone on the bench swamped him. I was surprised he didn't get a star.

He definitely needs to work on his defensive side of the game. There were a couple goals which I thought he coulda done a better job. In one of the goals he basically allowed a 2-on-1 for the Kamloops. Let's hope he will develop that with the moose next year.

I'm so psyched about his kid...Can't wait to see him in a Canucks uniform.

Kevin isn't going to the Moose next season. Giants have been told they will have him next season too.

I would have been a coin toss over KC and Nolan Toigo for second star. Toigo played well but KC had more point production. Then again Toigo was a +2 and not a -1 and didn't let Stretch undress him.
Posted Image

I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#668 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,564 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

Kevin isn't going to the Moose next season. Giants have been told they will have him next season too.

I would have been a coin toss over KC and Nolan Toigo for second star. Toigo played well but KC had more point production. Then again Toigo was a +2 and not a -1 and didn't let Stretch undress him.

Where the hell did you pull that one from?

#669 Neester

Neester

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

I was at the game last night as well... granted, i was a few cans deep before the game started, but I was still trying to pay a lot of attention to KC. Offensively, he came as advertised. He looked big and didn't show any glaring skating weaknesses. He played a lot on the PP (he'd stay out while the fwds changed) and it seemed as though the first option was passing to him so he could get a shot on net. (The pp reminded me of Kovy in Atlanta a few years ago where they would play the umbrella and Kovy would stay at the top in the middle of the ice and just let shots rip). Kamloops almost always kept a fwd high to block shots and while the forward would often get a stick on KC's shot, KC still got a number through to the net which is quite impressive considering they were keying in on him (and i don't remember any shots actually blocked by the player's body which shows his ability to move laterally looking for a shooting lane). I was very impressed with his offensive play to say the least.

Defensively, I was quite concerned. I don't think it was an abberation (his mediocre defensive play) based on what other posters have said, but him and the kid Musil were out there a lot and while Musil looked like a rookie on a few passes and reads (his passes were a bit off; he misread certain plays), he showed a tremendous ability to recover - KC didn't show the same at all. The 5-5 goal was a disaster and was solely attributable to KC's play. Also, one thing that gets overlooked was the support of the Giants forwards in the defensive zone. A lot of plays were significantly easier for the D to make because the Giants had a lot of support down low; this made the Giants defense look a lot better defensively than they actually were. I know Hay has produced a number of NHL dman in his time, but I also think he provides them with an opportunity to succeed by playing such stingy team D. If KC was on a less defensive team, I'd be very concerned about how he'd fare defensively because he wouldn't get that extra passing option or extra second to make a decision with(out) the puck. Either way, he plays for Hay and we can't hold that against him but it should still be noted (just like players on the London Knights will have inflated offensive stats). I just think that we shouldn`t get our hopes up that he'll be a Canuck (or even a Moose) next year.

Nevertheless, you can't teach a player how to score or play offensively but you can teach him how to play D. Based on this, I think a few years of seasoning (one more in the Dub, two in the A) and we could have a real player.

#670 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

The nice thing about the Giants games is you actually get to talk to the GM and the director of marketing on the concourse.

As well I know a few of the billet families and KC's billets were asked if they would be signing up again as a billet and if so would they take Kevin again.

Has there been a press release, no. But having some contacts with the organization I have been given the impression that the Canucks want Kevin to come back.

And really, it makes sense. He still needs work in his own zone. He would get eaten alive in the AHL.
Posted Image

#671 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

The nice thing about the Giants games is you actually get to talk to the GM and the director of marketing on the concourse.

As well I know a few of the billet families and KC's billets were asked if they would be signing up again as a billet and if so would they take Kevin again.

Has there been a press release, no. But having some contacts with the organization I have been given the impression that the Canucks want Kevin to come back.

And really, it makes sense. He still needs work in his own zone. He would get eaten alive in the AHL.

Even if Connauton was more polished, I think he would stay in the WHL anyway, as the Moose are likely to already have a full compliment of young defenseman next season with Oberg, Sauve, Ellington and Zimmerman. I also have a feeling Gillis will try and sign another College Free Agent. (Gustafsson please)
Posted Image

#672 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

Even if Connauton was more polished, I think he would stay in the WHL anyway, as the Moose are likely to already have a full compliment of young defenseman next season with Oberg, Sauve, Ellington and Zimmerman. I also have a feeling Gillis will try and sign another College Free Agent. (Gustafsson please)

Don't forget Fredheim; this season is his last one in college so he'll probably go to the Moose next year as well.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#673 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

Don't forget Fredheim; this season is his last one in college so he'll probably go to the Moose next year as well.

I knew I was missing somebody in that list. I've only seen Fredheim play twice, both this year, and he has a big right-handed shot and is a pretty good skater. He has decent size, but could still add a few. It will be interesting to see how he does next year.
Posted Image

#674 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

I knew I was missing somebody in that list. I've only seen Fredheim play twice, both this year, and he has a big right-handed shot and is a pretty good skater. He has decent size, but could still add a few. It will be interesting to see how he does next year.

Yeah, I really want to see how well and quickly a product of 4 years in college hockey makes the transition to the pro game. I think he's more of a defensive D-man, but with decent mobility and size. He could maybe surprise people.

#675 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

I would put KC in front of Sauve and Ellington. But I agree with you.

Ellington is a POS. The kid hasn't even had a sniff at call up yet alone top D line with all the injury to the Canucks. He is too much of a head case.
Posted Image

#676 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,778 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

Anyone know why Kevin didn't play tonight?
Posted Image

#677 sirensong87

sirensong87

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:19 PM

It's going to be a nice feeling when he's assigned to the Giants next season, after all your gushing over him and blatant homerism. The kids a good young Dman with lots of upside, but like i said hes needs ALOT of development and no where better to do it than with Don Hay. There's just no place for him with the Moose with Sauve and Ellington expected to hold down full time positions and Zimmerman being with them next season. Add into that Oberg, and the Moose's free agent signings and returning players there wont be a roster spot.

#678 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

It's going to be a nice feeling when he's assigned to the Giants next season, after all your gushing over him and blatant homerism.

And that's everything wrong with these boards in a nutshell: the desire to be proven right being more important than being wrong but pleasantly surprised that a prospect has performed far beyond expectation.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#679 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

And that's everything wrong with these boards in a nutshell: the desire to be proven right being more important than being wrong but pleasantly surprised that a prospect has performed far beyond expectation.

Bang on.

It's like with the whole Patrick White thing before we traded him, people seemingly took pleasure in his statistical shortcomings and lack of development.
Posted Image

#680 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:13 PM

Fredheim's season is over with Colorado College; he could join the Moose now too I think.

#681 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:38 PM

Bang on.

It's like with the whole Patrick White thing before we traded him, people seemingly took pleasure in his statistical shortcomings and lack of development.

Oh ya for sure...its like a dog chasing its tail.

Patrick White - didn't live up to his potential, stats didn't show it, and he gets flamed in CDC

Prab Rai - puts up good numbers in junior the last 2 seasons, has some unknown potential...gets flamed as well

Mike Gillis - puts a winning, exciting product on the ice, stats don't lie, and yet he too gets flamed because ironically people wanted to get rid of our prospects to get some UFA help on the deadline

what do u people honestly want? LOL

#682 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,564 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:30 AM

Patrick White - didn't live up to his potential, stats didn't show it, and he gets flamed in CDC

Prab Rai - puts up good numbers in junior the last 2 seasons, has some unknown potential...gets flamed as well

Mike Gillis - puts a winning, exciting product on the ice, stats don't lie, and yet he too gets flamed because ironically people wanted to get rid of our prospects to get some UFA help on the deadline

They want all of our prospects to fail/be held back to "learn" and then be traded for Sidney Crosby at the deadline, because our prospects NEVER develop into good players... right?

Edited by avelanch, 16 March 2010 - 07:31 AM.

#683 sirensong87

sirensong87

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

What's wrong with this forum can be explained in 2 simple words. Homer goggles. End of story, it is absolute hilarity the level of expectation some people have for KCon now. He SHOULD develop into a nice NHL player one day, but i have literally seen "Connauton could play for Nucks next year" and thats just absurd. People see stats and freak out and dont stop or arent able to think or comprehend how a Junior game translates to the NHL and about the players game as a whole and not the offensive numbers he puts up.

Look at a guy like Gilbert Burle, all the talent in the world and all the stats to back it up in junior. Had the heart the grit and everything to go with it. But his game was rushed and it shows that it doesnt work in the NHL in a star offensive role. Its that 1/2 step, that 1 wrong read, that 1 moment of indecisiveness that makes or breaks a players game once he turns pro. And right now Kevin has alot of the little things to work on.

I want to see him in junior next year because thats whats best for him, not because its a failure. With the state of his game its best for him to play somewhere that he doesnt need to worry about producing offensively because that will come naturally. And with the offense not being forced he can concentrate on his reads, his gap control, his rotation, his defensive stick and all the little short comings he has that will kill him if not worked out before he turns pro.

Oh and Prab Rai? Do any of you really see any reason he will be able to take his game to the pro level? Other than "he scored 40 goals", sure but his PPG is DOWN this year from last and the one before. Hes a TERRIBLE skater which is the single hardest thing to overcome when turning pro. He doesnt have the strength to battel for pucks succesfully and hes a VERY lazy player. That is why Rai will not succeed as a pro, anything other than "Hes a 40g scorer" to rebutle with?

Edited by sirensong87, 16 March 2010 - 08:46 PM.

#684 ballsdeepfreeze

ballsdeepfreeze

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

What's wrong with this forum can be explained in 2 simple words. Homer goggles. End of story, it is absolute hilarity the level of expectation some people have for KCon now. He SHOULD develop into a nice NHL player one day, but i have literally seen "Connauton could play for Nucks next year" and thats just absurd. People see stats and freak out and dont stop or arent able to think or comprehend how a Junior game translates to the NHL and about the players game as a whole and not the offensive numbers he puts up.

Look at a guy like Gilbert Burle, all the talent in the world and all the stats to back it up in junior. Had the heart the grit and everything to go with it. But his game was rushed and it shows that it doesnt work in the NHL in a star offensive role. Its that 1/2 step, that 1 wrong read, that 1 moment of indecisiveness that makes or breaks a players game once he turns pro. And right now Kevin has alot of the little things to work on.

I want to see him in junior next year because thats whats best for him, not because its a failure. With the state of his game its best for him to play somewhere that he doesnt need to worry about producing offensively because that will come naturally. And with the offense not being forced he can concentrate on his reads, his gap control, his rotation, his defensive stick and all the little short comings he has that will kill him if not worked out before he turns pro.

He will play where MG and Co. believe Kevin can give his best effort to take the next step. If he can make the Moose he will play there, it doesn't necessarily mean that going back to the Giants is best for him, that is stupid, especially if he could get over 15-17 mins a night with Moose. I definitely do not want to see him in a Canucks jersey next year though, unless he somehow looks like the next Duncan Keith come training camp, but that is way beyond wishful thinking right now.

Edited by ballsdeepfreeze, 16 March 2010 - 09:24 PM.

Posted Image

#685 one night

one night

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

I assume it was your opinion.

#686 one night

one night

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

Oh and Prab Rai? Do any of you really see any reason he will be able to take his game to the pro level? Other than "he scored 40 goals", sure but his PPG is DOWN this year from last and the one before. Hes a TERRIBLE skater which is the single hardest thing to overcome when turning pro. He doesnt have the strength to battel for pucks succesfully and hes a VERY lazy player. That is why Rai will not succeed as a pro, anything other than "Hes a 40g scorer" to rebutle with?

Do you ever give it a rest?

#687 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:02 AM

Why are you guys so offended at Siren's suggestion that KC might be better served back with the Giants next year? I'm not so sure the Giants is where he should be but I'm not going to be upset if he stays another year there. I honestly don't expect him in Vancouver for another 2 years minimum and wouldn't be shocked if it took 4 years. Don't see how anyone suggesting he might take some time to develop is being negative.

Just the way it is...and please don't compare the criticisms of Kevin to the criticisms of White. White was obviously not developing at all and KC is doing terrific. All of the negative comments about White were totally justified even if all the nuthuggers couldn't see it. In fact if White was still with the organization there would be an army of guys on here getting upset if any of the realists called him a bust. Yet when he was traded many of those same guys sounded relieved they did not have to defend their position anymore because they knew how idiotic they were being (not all, some...and some believed the nonsense they were spouting)....

Anyway, I like his progress, but constructive critique isn't hurting him and it is necessary to be objective.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#688 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:18 AM

Why are you guys so offended at Siren's suggestion that KC might be better served back with the Giants next year? I'm not so sure the Giants is where he should be but I'm not going to be upset if he stays another year there. I honestly don't expect him in Vancouver for another 2 years minimum and wouldn't be shocked if it took 4 years. Don't see how anyone suggesting he might take some time to develop is being negative.

Just the way it is...and please don't compare the criticisms of Kevin to the criticisms of White. White was obviously not developing at all and KC is doing terrific. All of the negative comments about White were totally justified even if all the nuthuggers couldn't see it. In fact if White was still with the organization there would be an army of guys on here getting upset if any of the realists called him a bust. Yet when he was traded many of those same guys sounded relieved they did not have to defend their position anymore because they knew how idiotic they were being (not all, some...and some believed the nonsense they were spouting)....

Anyway, I like his progress, but constructive critique isn't hurting him and it is necessary to be objective.

Im not offended with his comment, i mean regardless whether he ends up with the giants or not, he does need some developing. Fact is its a never ending debate on what the fans think of our prospects. What do they really want? honestly? One player posts crapty numbers..WHAM theres a thread on how he sucks....and another prospect who actually posts good numbers, BAM theres another thread on how the numbers are deflated or will never translate and people breaking down their games. blah blah blah this guy doesn't go to the net, blah blah hes too small...Gretzky wasn't an adonis when he broke in the NHL, and if Alex Burrows was so awesome, why didn't he get drafted in the first place then?

I for one keep my expectations tempered, I know Rai, Connauton, Tochkin, Hodgson etc. did pretty well this season, and who knows what they can they make of their talents, but with the numbers they put up...im at least a tad optimistic on what the canucks system brings.

#689 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:28 AM

Im not offended with his comment, i mean regardless whether he ends up with the giants or not, he does need some developing. Fact is its a never ending debate on what the fans think of our prospects. What do they really want? honestly? One player posts crapty numbers..WHAM theres a thread on how he sucks....and another prospect who actually posts good numbers, BAM theres another thread on how the numbers are deflated or will never translate and people breaking down their games. blah blah blah this guy doesn't go to the net, blah blah hes too small...Gretzky wasn't an adonis when he broke in the NHL, and if Alex Burrows was so awesome, why didn't he get drafted in the first place then?

I for one keep my expectations tempered, I know Rai, Connauton, Tochkin, Hodgson etc. did pretty well this season, and who knows what they can they make of their talents, but with the numbers they put up...im at least a tad optimistic on what the canucks system brings.

I agree, well said.

#690 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,753 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

Developing prospects. Art or science? There's a methodology for doing it the right way. Sadly, for Canucks fans we've had a history of rushing or ruining our prospects, or just drafting the wrong prospects. There needs to be a system where the prospects aren't rushed, but also aren't left withering on the vine either. When a prospect is ready to go in the NHL, the team should give them every chance to crack the lineup.

If we can start developing our prospects well, we will have a deeper and stronger team as a whole. Of course that all depends on our drafting too! I think Gillis is working on the right foundations. I'm glad we're not just throwing away our prospects for rentals. We need to stock our shelves first.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.