Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Kevin Connauton Talk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1410 replies to this topic

#691 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

What's wrong with this forum can be explained in 2 simple words. Homer goggles. End of story, it is absolute hilarity the level of expectation some people have for KCon now. He SHOULD develop into a nice NHL player one day, but i have literally seen "Connauton could play for Nucks next year" and thats just absurd. People see stats and freak out and dont stop or arent able to think or comprehend how a Junior game translates to the NHL and about the players game as a whole and not the offensive numbers he puts up.

Look at a guy like Gilbert Burle, all the talent in the world and all the stats to back it up in junior. Had the heart the grit and everything to go with it. But his game was rushed and it shows that it doesnt work in the NHL in a star offensive role. Its that 1/2 step, that 1 wrong read, that 1 moment of indecisiveness that makes or breaks a players game once he turns pro. And right now Kevin has alot of the little things to work on.

I want to see him in junior next year because thats whats best for him, not because its a failure. With the state of his game its best for him to play somewhere that he doesnt need to worry about producing offensively because that will come naturally. And with the offense not being forced he can concentrate on his reads, his gap control, his rotation, his defensive stick and all the little short comings he has that will kill him if not worked out before he turns pro.

Oh and Prab Rai? Do any of you really see any reason he will be able to take his game to the pro level? Other than "he scored 40 goals", sure but his PPG is DOWN this year from last and the one before. Hes a TERRIBLE skater which is the single hardest thing to overcome when turning pro. He doesnt have the strength to battel for pucks succesfully and hes a VERY lazy player. That is why Rai will not succeed as a pro, anything other than "Hes a 40g scorer" to rebutle with?

you are the first and ONLY person to say that he is a terrible skater, you're hate on for this kid is just ridiculous.
how about that he is only 20 yrs old??
call it Home Goggles if you want but some people like to think positive and give these kids a chance because after all its not bunch of 50 yr old men trying to learn a new trick.

#692 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

you are the first and ONLY person to say that he is a terrible skater, you're hate on for this kid is just ridiculous.
how about that he is only 20 yrs old??
call it Home Goggles if you want but some people like to think positive and give these kids a chance because after all its not bunch of 50 yr old men trying to learn a new trick.

I agree and who is anyone to say that this or that prospect won't make it, it is a all up to the payer and we have seen many players not expected to make the NHL then make leaps and bounds in things that they are supposedly 'Terrible' in and be impact players. Nothing is set in stone and just because you say someone is a bust means nothing.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#693 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,954 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

http://www.vancouver...ts.com/home.htm

Two Vancouver Giants were yesterday named to the WHL Western Conference First All Star Team. Both forward Craig Cunningham, a unanimous selection, and defenseman Kevin Connauton, were honoured with the selection, and both All Stars talked to Morley Scott about their selection and the upcoming playoff series with the Kamloops Blazers

click on the link to get the interview audio. Playoffs start tonight. :D

Edited by avelanch, 19 March 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#694 one night

one night

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

Oh ya for sure...its like a dog chasing its tail.

Patrick White - didn't live up to his potential, stats didn't show it, and he gets flamed in CDC

Prab Rai - puts up good numbers in junior the last 2 seasons, has some unknown potential...gets flamed as well

Mike Gillis - puts a winning, exciting product on the ice, stats don't lie, and yet he too gets flamed because ironically people wanted to get rid of our prospects to get some UFA help on the deadline

what do u people honestly want? LOL

The stupidest question ever asked here on CDC. Try the Stanley Cup

#695 one night

one night

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

What's wrong with this forum can be explained in 2 simple words. Homer goggles. End of story, it is absolute hilarity the level of expectation some people have for KCon now. He SHOULD develop into a nice NHL player one day, but i have literally seen "Connauton could play for Nucks next year" and thats just absurd. People see stats and freak out and dont stop or arent able to think or comprehend how a Junior game translates to the NHL and about the players game as a whole and not the offensive numbers he puts up.

Look at a guy like Gilbert Burle, all the talent in the world and all the stats to back it up in junior. Had the heart the grit and everything to go with it. But his game was rushed and it shows that it doesnt work in the NHL in a star offensive role. Its that 1/2 step, that 1 wrong read, that 1 moment of indecisiveness that makes or breaks a players game once he turns pro. And right now Kevin has alot of the little things to work on.

I want to see him in junior next year because thats whats best for him, not because its a failure. With the state of his game its best for him to play somewhere that he doesnt need to worry about producing offensively because that will come naturally. And with the offense not being forced he can concentrate on his reads, his gap control, his rotation, his defensive stick and all the little short comings he has that will kill him if not worked out before he turns pro.

Oh and Prab Rai? Do any of you really see any reason he will be able to take his game to the pro level? Other than "he scored 40 goals", sure but his PPG is DOWN this year from last and the one before. Hes a TERRIBLE skater which is the single hardest thing to overcome when turning pro. He doesnt have the strength to battel for pucks succesfully and hes a VERY lazy player. That is why Rai will not succeed as a pro, anything other than "Hes a 40g scorer" to rebutle with?

So what now sweet cheeks, Connauton got selected as 1st All Star D-Man. Oh Sorry, I forgot you know more than the selection commitee.

#696 2 Sedins 1 cup

2 Sedins 1 cup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:11 PM

what were his season final stats?

Im stoked to watch Connauton play against the Blazers in kamloops
Posted Image
rk17

Quote me on this. The Flames will win their Second Stanley Cup before the Canucks win their first. :P

Sometimes people shouldn't have their opinions heard.

Led Zeppelin is overrated.

#697 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

I really think he going to be good in the playoffs! Do you think MG will sign him to a ELC this summer?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#698 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

what were his season final stats?

Im stoked to watch Connauton play against the Blazers in kamloops

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM

2009-10 Vancouver Giants WHL 69 24 48 72 107

#699 sirensong87

sirensong87

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

So what now sweet cheeks, Connauton got selected as 1st All Star D-Man. Oh Sorry, I forgot you know more than the selection commitee.

And it was well deserved he had a spectacular season, and Ive never said otherwise. You clearly lack the level of competence to understand what it is I am say, as well as the ability to evaluate and form your own opinon on talent's future as the NHL level.

Oh and BTW, scouts agree with my opinion of the kid, not yours. But i guess you know better than Central Scouting or 30 NHL GM's including MG who passed him up in his draft year? Riiiiiiiight...

What you seem to not get is that Im not saying he wont be a good NHL player, all I've ever said is that he is no blue chip prospect and there still a good chance he doesnt pan out. Best case scenario is he has another strong couple of season the WHL or the AHL and eventually develops into and NHL player. And right now, it looks like hes going to be a good one. But theres still alot of work to be done between now and when he takes a step to being a pro.

From his NCAA coach's mouth:

Western Michigan head coach Jim Culhane on Connauton: “Kevin came in and impressed immediately. He came here and was in fantastic physical shape. He had prepared himself diligently and he just continued to make strides all year. I think some of Kevin’s best assets are his offensive instincts and his ability to make plays from the blueline. I think what Kevin has to work on right now is just becoming a complete player.”

Like i said the offensive game is there for him, now he needs to put the rest of his game together.

Edited by sirensong87, 19 March 2010 - 10:47 PM.

#700 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:42 PM

i think almost everyone agrees that he does need to work on his defensive game but to stay in the WHL another year won't be as good for him as going a step and playing against men. physically he is ready to make the jump and if he is challenged a bit more then that will him focus and work more on his complete game. i think it would just be a step back to hold him the WHL for another year.

#701 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

The stupidest question ever asked here on CDC. Try the Stanley Cup

True, but looking at the morons that have been running this team the last decade before Mike Gillis, that goal looks far fetched because of poor UFA signings, bad deals ( except Luongo deal..but then, thats kind of Mike Keenan's doing...Mad Mike LOVES to give for the Canucks), and ridiculously bad drafting. I think Nonis and the scouting staff had their lists upside down or something when they went up to the podium.

"you can never have too many defencemen" - Dave Nonis after drafting Luc Bourdon

Yeah, you can never have too many all-stars too you fat pig

#702 one night

one night

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:03 AM

True, but looking at the morons that have been running this team the last decade before Mike Gillis, that goal looks far fetched because of poor UFA signings, bad deals ( except Luongo deal..but then, thats kind of Mike Keenan's doing...Mad Mike LOVES to give for the Canucks), and ridiculously bad drafting. I think Nonis and the scouting staff had their lists upside down or something when they went up to the podium.

"you can never have too many defencemen" - Dave Nonis after drafting Luc Bourdon

True, you do have a very valid point on the idiots that have been running the Canucks since 1970.

#703 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Oh and BTW, scouts agree with my opinion of the kid, not yours. But i guess you know better than Central Scouting or 30 NHL GM's including MG who passed him up in his draft year? Riiiiiiiight...

I understand your points obivously every player has there own road to the NHL and really aren't we all just speculating anyway. It doesn't matter if you side with the scouts and then call people out for not its their own opinion, and vise versa for them calling you out. Not to pick on what your saying but the fact that he missed his 1st draft should be left out of the argument, it is in the past and obviously he has made huge strides no one expected him too.....can anyone say David Perron? I would like him to step up and impress and make the Moose but I'm not gonna be dissappointed with another year with the Giants lots of players spend an extra year in Junior and its all for the greater good of the big picture.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#704 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,330 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

Dave Nonis is where he belongs, in the AHL.

#705 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

Dave Nonis is where he belongs, in the AHL.

Or in a buffett line which he and burkie are regulars. We need Welly to get in on that for that playoffs hahahah

#706 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

lol +1

#707 Maple Ridge

Maple Ridge

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

2 goals already by Kevin, and it's still in the 3rd period

#708 DGFX.

DGFX.

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

2 goals already by Kevin, and it's still in the 3rd period

This kid is going to be great. If he works on his defensive game some more, and his skating(acceleration/speed), he will succeed in the NHL.

I can't wait to see him in Moose uniform.
Posted Image
.KEVIN.CONNAUTON.FUTURE.OF.THE.CANUCKS.

#709 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,954 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:46 AM

he was a +1 and 3rd star with 2 goals in the giants win, including the game winning goal.

#710 Sawchuk

Sawchuk

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

he was a +1 and 3rd star with 2 goals in the giants win, including the game winning goal.

I watched the game, Kevin was essentially unnoticeable even strength (which is sort of a good thing I guess), but really apparent on the powerplay. During one of the intermissions the announcers were talking about how the Blazers' goal was to shut him down on the powerplay as they had moved to a diamond formation to prevent his point shot.
Posted Image
You've got to play sixty minutes to get my record" - Terry Sawchuk

#711 Maple Ridge

Maple Ridge

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

Is he going to sign with the Canucks next year? Anyone know?

#712 omigulay

omigulay

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

he's ranked pretty low in the canucks prospect ranking by hockeysfuture

could be another mike green?

FTW!!!!

#713 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,954 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

The HF ranking is fairly effed up in general, pretty much anyone who has watched the players would disagree with those rankings.

Edited by avelanch, 21 March 2010 - 05:50 PM.

#714 Canuckee

Canuckee

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:11 PM

I WISH!!!!!!! Our prospect pool is really good considering all of the offensive talent, but we need more d-men in it with defensive capabilities. I heard kevin's offense is great but his defensive game isn't very good. I hope players like Ellington and Sauve who are defensive defenseman make the jump to the AHL. I do agree that if Kevin becomes better defensively we have a really good steal and possibly a ... MIKE GREEN ;) !!!

#715 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,954 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

I WISH!!!!!!! Our prospect pool is really good considering all of the offensive talent, but we need more d-men in it with defensive capabilities. I heard kevin's offense is great but his defensive game isn't very good. I hope players like Ellington and Sauve who are defensive defenseman make the jump to the AHL. I do agree that if Kevin becomes better defensively we have a really good steal and possibly a ... MIKE GREEN ;) !!!

kevin's gotten much better than he was in regard to his defensive game.

#716 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

This kid is gonna be an absolute beast for the Giants next year.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#717 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,954 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

Moose.

#718 KeslerBEAST

KeslerBEAST

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

This kid is gonna be an absolute beast for the Giants next year.

why next year? he was an absolute beast this year

#719 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

Moose.

I remember reading that he was going to be back with the Giants next year. But of course, if he really impresses the coaching staff and they think that he's ready for the pros, I'd love to see him play for the Moose. His defensive play has gotten better by quite a bit this year, apparently, but he could still use some improvement, which is why some poster on this thread was ripping his gap control, reads, stickwork etc. I'm not saying that he's terrible defensively, but the thing is that he will get eaten alive at the pro level if he's struggling defensively in juniors, hence the extra year under Don Hay. Which won't be a bad thing at all.

To be honest I'd rather he stay one more year with Hay than turn pro and get sent down to the Salmon Kings. Their coach, Mark Morrison, just doesn't seem like a coach who can help defensive prospects develop. How many people has he even churned out for the Moose on a permanent basis anyway? I mean, when you consider the callups that the Moose have had over the last couple of years, they're usually from other ECHL teams and not Victoria.

why next year? he was an absolute beast this year

Even more of an absolute beast then. Posted Image

Edited by Canvoucer Vanuck, 21 March 2010 - 10:07 PM.

RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#720 canucks22

canucks22

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:06 PM

i went to the giants game the other day and this guy was a huge factor. i know hes a defenseman and all but he can score like a forward. but his defense game could get much better.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.