1410 replies to this topic

#1201 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

No matter what, there is a big picture and he's a de-man. They take time and nurturing. He will be fine, there's tons of upside.

#1202 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:59 AM

It's been suggested for both K-Conn and McNally that if they can't improve their defense at all against better competition they'd be better off as forwards... I guess we'll have to see. We have time. It'd be kinda weird.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#1203 Canuckitty

Canuckitty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

I've thought for a long time that Connauton would make a better forward than a D-man. Can't wait to see what MacT does with him.

#1204 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

Not at all. He's offensive talent is special because he's put up great numbers - for a defenseman.

If he was a forward...Not so much - just a regular kid. He's also only 6'1" and 185lbs - not a power forward body. Nobody would give a s*** about Mike Green either if he was a forward - because his numbers aren't that special if he was one.

Also, being a defenseman, he's not dexterous enough (stick handling/moving in tight corners really fast) - he gets most of his points from point shots, so he wouldn't be successful because he'd be too slow (not only skating, but moving fast enough to avoid d-men), and not fit to be a forward IMO.

:huh: point per game forwards are chopped liver? I think I understand what you are saying, but I think its pretty clear that forwards are put in a position to score much more than defensemen are. Connauton was once a forward; he is a pretty good stickhandler and he has been successful in the shootout. Granted he is not that big of a guy, but my argument is more from his tendencies as a hockey player. What I've seen of him is limited, but when I did see him play, I honestly thought that he looked disinterested in the defensive side of the game. That has probably changed somewhat from when I have seen him (mostly last preseason) but since then I have seen nothing that has dissuaded me of this idea of him.

I "get" that there is such a thing as an offensive defenseman, but I have always been of the opinion that quality offensive defensemen contribute offensively because they read the play well and support their forwards, not replace them altogether on the rush and cause them to play defense. If we are in the business of replacing forwards on the rush, just be a gaddam forward! I am not all that concerned because I have a hard time believing Connauton could possibly do that that much, but honest to God I saw him create so many odd man rushes and hang his D-partner and his forwards out to dry last preseason that i was disturbed.

Plus we REALLY need d-men who can actually get their point shots on net, which is something that Kevin has an uncanny ability to do. he doesn't score on every shot (obviously) but you can usually count on the puck making it to the goalie, and potentially creating a rebound situation or goal mouth scramble in the process, even through heavy traffic. it's almost uncanny how he's able to do that.

I completely agree with this and think this has to be the meat and potatoes of his offensive game. It's a much more conservative way of generating offense, and not only does it feed the forwards the puck, it opens up space down low for them because the defending team will have open up to respect Connauton's shot. He can support his forwards by just camping at the blue line, prreeeettttty nifty.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#1205 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

Could KCon develope along the lines of an Ed Jovanovski? They were both forwards converted into defensemen. Both have an uncanny knock of getting the point shot thru to the net. Both have struggles in their own end. Both are fairly physical. I mean could KCon project to be a poor man's Jovo?

#1206 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Could KCon develope along the lines of an Ed Jovanovski? They were both forwards converted into defensemen. Both have an uncanny knock of getting the point shot thru to the net. Both have struggles in their own end. Both are fairly physical. I mean could KCon project to be a poor man's Jovo?

So he's NOT likely to develop into another softy like Ehrhoff right? *phew* :lol: (no offense to his offensive ability)
By the way at this point who has the higher ceiling, K-Con or Polasek? From Adam's scouting reports it sounds like he'll be the more complete player

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#1207 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:18 AM

I agree; Polasek seems like he'll be the more well-rounded player, whereas K-Conn will probably put up more points, but with defensive issues that he'll constantly need to work on.

#1208 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,581 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

anyone else following Nauts on twitter? he's been posting a lot lately. seems he's been in Vancouver since the 20th.

Archibald and him are going to the whitecaps game tonight, apparently.
Posted Image

Edited by avelanch, 27 August 2011 - 03:46 PM.

#1209 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

Nice they won tonIght too!
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#1210 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

MacTavish puts his money on Connauton

PENTICTON – With one last game to go, today at 11:30 against the Jets, Kevin Connauton is looking ahead to main training camp.A skilled offensive defenceman who needs to be better defensively, Connauton hasn’t exactly stood out at the Young Stars tournament in two games, but as one of the handful of Manitoba Moose veterans on hand, he’ll be a cinch to survive today’s post-game cuts and reassignments.

“With time you get a little more comfortable,” said Connauton, who was much better in his second outing, a 4-3 overtime win over the Flames, than in Game 1′s 7-2 loss to the Oilers. “Even though I was here last year, I was a little nervous the first game, the first kind of competitive situation since the end of last year.

“You definitely want to stand out coming into this tournament, but you can’t get too worked up about it if things aren’t necessarily going your way.”

Coach Craig MacTavish, who didn’t know much about Connauton coming in, has become a fan.

“You have a kid with that skill set, a highly intelligent kid, a highly determined kid,” MacTavish said. “I’d bet on that, that he’s in on the discussion at the end among the Canucks coaches and managers whether he’s going to stay or not.”

http://blogs.theprov...y-on-connauton/

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#1211 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,581 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

good article, glad to see mactavish on the connauton train.

#1212 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

K-Con with an assist on the PP.

Hopefully there's a lot of this that season. If he could break 35 points this year that would be great.

#1213 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

K-Con with an assist on the PP.

Hopefully there's a lot of this that season. If he could break 35 points this year that would be great.

He was on pace for that last year until the sudden drop off. I hope he stays more consistent.

#1214 overdrive

overdrive

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

he looks like he's off to a good start statistic wise, 4 points in 7 games

#1215 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

he looks like he's off to a good start statistic wise, 4 points in 7 games

That's especially impressive when you consider how many goals the entire team has scored thus far.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#1216 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Do you guys think MG should bring K-Con up for three or four games (waive Ebbett or send down Volpatti) and try to get some offense sparked from our D? Utilize him on the PP? He still has to hone his defensive game a bit, but he has 4 points in 7 games which is really good for the amount of goals the Wolves have scored and it clear we need some puck movement from our D and his slapshot could only help our PP.

Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Connauton
Ballard - Salo

for a couple of games? It would be a prime opportunity for him to get some NHL games in with Rome still injured.

#1217 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,581 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

he has a 3 game point streak, but it's too early to be sending anyone down at this point.

#1218 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

he has a 3 game point streak, but it's too early to be sending anyone down at this point.

Yeah, I guess. Ebbett would be more important playing for the Wolves though I think now that Cody is proven he can stick.

I see your point though.

#1219 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

2 goals for Connauton tonight!

He's now up to 8 points in 14 games. Pretty good start to the season.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1220 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

2 goals for Connauton tonight!

He's now up to 8 points in 14 games. Pretty good start to the season.

Great stats, but also on the ice for the 2 goals Milwaukee scored so far tonight.

EDIT: Make that all 3 goals Milwaukee scored so far tonight. Milwaukee now leads 3-2. Looks like K-Conn's gotta take matters to his own hands and score a hattrick for redemption Posted Image

Edited by Dasein, 12 November 2011 - 07:22 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#1221 Crowfro

Crowfro

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:48 PM

typical Connauton stat sheet that suits him well. Got 2 goals but a minus 2 lol

#1222 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,581 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

hes putting up points, and they are winning, i'm fine with that.

#1223 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

Don't forget he's paired with Baumgartner, who's not exactly the most solid defenceman. He was also a -2.

On a side note though, Ryan Parent was a +4. That's good to see. He could be valuable to us down the road if we decide to trade one of our D.

Edited by DeNiro, 12 November 2011 - 10:45 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1224 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Don't forget he's paired with Baumgartner, who's not exactly the most solid defenceman. He was also a -2.

On a side note though, Ryan Parent was a +4. That's good to see. He could be valuable to us down the road if we decide to trade one of our D.

Who knew that Baumgartner's a user on these forums?

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#1225 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

Baumgartner's not exactly the greatest mentor if you want to learn defense. When you put a young offensive D-man like Connauton with him that's just asking for trouble. Really surprised when the Canucks signed him again, as I heard that he'd been playing rather poorly for the Moose most of last season.

#1226 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,581 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

Baumgartner's not exactly the greatest mentor if you want to learn defense. When you put a young offensive D-man like Connauton with him that's just asking for trouble. Really surprised when the Canucks signed him again, as I heard that he'd been playing rather poorly for the Moose most of last season.

that was the first half of the year, he improved in the 2nd half.

#1227 Crowfro

Crowfro

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

checked he's 2nd in the AHL with 5 goals scored now. Top guy has 6. Atleast he knows how to put the puck in the net.

#1228 Jensen17

Jensen17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

He scored tonight and was a +1.
Posted Image

#1229 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:18 AM

Send down Volpatti for a few games and get K-Conn running the 2nd PP unit and see what happens. If it doesn't work, send him back down and bring Patti back up, if it does work, send Ballard off and do something better with the cap space.

#1230 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:49 AM

Send down Volpatti for a few games and get K-Conn running the 2nd PP unit and see what happens. If it doesn't work, send him back down and bring Patti back up, if it does work, send Ballard off and do something better with the cap space.

Hmm, that would be interesting to see how he and Hodgson do running the Second PP. Although if it does work we should give Ballard an equal chance on the 2nd Unit too so we can see what he does with PP time, rather than just shipping him off. Gillis wouldn't go back on his word to Ballard and his Agent either, he isn't that kind of man..

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.