1410 replies to this topic

#1321 Walking Paradox

Walking Paradox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Wow, he's a great skater! Plus he sacrifices his body to block shots, has nice hands, and a great shot.

#1322 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hopefully he has a good camp so that they can work him into the lineup like they did with Tanev. Maybe get him up for 8 - 10 games next season and let him see what he has to work on. This kid looks like a good one.

#1323 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

He plays a lot bigger than most give him credit for. This guy will be a 30 point a year guy one day. 40, if he's given the PP time.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#1324 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,066 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

Good video, thanks for sharing!

307mg00.jpg

#1325 timmylu1

timmylu1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

the wolves jerseys are terrible

#1326 JL44

JL44

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

There is alot of shots of him playing the right side. Perhaps he would be able to play with Ballard. Then our d pairs could look something like:

Hammer // Bieksa
Edler // Tanev Or a nice UFA Weideman maybe???
Ballard // K Conn
MAG
Alberts

#1327 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

He plays on the left side exclusively at even strength. On the PP, you will see him on the right side due to it being easier to receive passes from there.

I really liked when he was paired with Tanev. He played his best hockey with him this season.

Edited by DJ Kreuzberg, 06 May 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#1328 JL44

JL44

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Ahh... I thought it was to good to be true.

#1329 bure10fan

bure10fan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

This guys is why the canucks do not need to sign a big d man!!! They have one on the way

#1330 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,728 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Suter
Connauton Tanev

Dump Ballard, and use the extra cash to sign Suter. Then we still have money from dumping Raymond to sign Salo.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1331 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Suter
Connauton Tanev

Dump Ballard, and use the extra cash to sign Suter. Then we still have money from dumping Raymond to sign Salo.

Where's Schultz? :bigblush:

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#1332 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

suter plays the left side in nashville, can he even play the right side?

#1333 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Suter
Connauton Tanev

So you have a left D playing the right side and you mention that we are signing salo....but then what, he's a healthy scratch?
Posted Image

#1334 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

So you have a left D playing the right side and you mention that we are signing salo....but then what, he's a healthy scratch?

Salo will slot in occasionally and for big games. He is getting very old and won't play a full season next year if he decides to come back.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#1335 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Good article on him:
http://canucksarmy.c...on-next-in-line

KEVIN CONNAUTON - NEXT IN LINE

Jeff Angus
July 12 2012 09:46AM

Kevin Connauton (left) protects the puck during a practice session.

Kevin Connauton is arguably the top defensive prospect in Vancouver’s system. He was profiled back in January, and at the time he was halfway into a very solid season with the Chicago Wolves. His defensive partner, Chris Tanev, had just been recalled to the Canucks. Connauton continued his solid play without Tanev, as the Wolves qualified for the AHL postseason.

The 22-year-old defenseman’s game improved a lot under the tutelage of head coach Craig MacTavish.

“Craig MacTavish has done a terrific job of taking Connauton’s natural abilities and channelling them in a positive direction. He isn’t trying to rein in Connauton’s natural abilities his skating, speed, his shot. Instead he's teaching Connauton to pick his spots better, while also playing the young defenseman in difficult minutes, and challenging him to be better defensively.”
Connauton has also benefitted tremendously from a relationship with Wolves Captain (and now assistant coach) Nolan Baumgartner. Their friendship is obvious to anyone who follows them on Twitter (Connauton is @K_Nauts and Baumgartner is @Baumer_5).

Kevin Connauton@K_Nauts
Congrats to @Baumer_5 on an incredible career. He was so sick of being my D-Partner this year that it forced him into retirement #DtoDHinge
4 Jul 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Baumgartner on Connauton:

"Last year was his rookie year and at times he struggled, but it's tough to step in. Sometimes you're in and out of the lineup and try to get some confidence going, which he's playing with a lot of this year. And confidence can go a long way. He's learning to play in his own end, which is huge for him. He's got a huge offensive upside as we all see."
Connauton finished 2011-12 with 13 goals and 33 points (an improvement of two goals and 10 points from his rookie campaign in 2010-11). He was 23rd in scoring among all AHL defensemen, and only two defensemen scored more goals than he did (Eric Gelinas and Clay Wilson each scored 16). He was named to the AHL All-Star Game, and won the hardest shot competition with a 99.4 mile-per-hour rocket. At the time of the All-Star Game, he led all AHL defensemen with nine goals.

The Canucks aren’t in a position where they need to rush a young defenseman into their top six, as the depth chart is pretty solid.

Potential pairings:

Dan Hamhuis – Kevin Bieksa
Alex Edler – Jason Garrison
Keith Ballard – Chris Tanev
Andrew Alberts
Man, It feels weird not writing Sami Salo in there…

Connauton has moved around a lot early on in his hockey career. He spent only one year in college at Western Michigan before joining the Vancouver Giants of the WHL. He played only one season there before turning pro with the Manitoba Moose. The Moose lasted only one season in Winnipeg before the Canucks switched affiliates to the Wolves in Chicago. Hockey players are used to changing locations and moving around, but usually not four times in four years (although Mike Sillinger and Dominic Moore have something to say about that).

Assuming Vancouver goes with the pairings I have listed above; Connauton will start the season in the AHL. However, he is likely the first call up if any of the defensemen go down.

The Canucks signed depth defensemen Derek Joslin and Patrick Mullen earlier this month, but both defensemen should spend the majority of the 2012-13 season with Chicago. With Sami Salo now in Tampa Bay, the Canucks don’t have an injury-prone defenseman that they have to plan around anymore. Letting Marc-Andre Gragnani go was a bit of a surprise, as he has been very productive at the AHL level. However, the Canucks were obviously turned off by his decision to go to arbitration, and figured he would be easily replaceable. He didn’t show much during his limited tenure with the team here, either.

Connauton will see some time with the big club this year, and could be a mainstay on the back end by 2013-14. His entry-level contract will have expired at that time, but he won’t have much leverage with limited NHL experience. The Canucks would love to be able to slide him in to their starting six on an affordable contract (much like Tanev right now). If Connauton continues to polish the rough parts of his game, he could find himself partnered up with Tanev once again, this time in Canucks colours.

He spent some time training at the Nike Headquarters in Oregon last month, alongside other Canuck prospects like Jordan Schroeder and Darren Archibald.

Being able to ice a defensive pairing featuring two players with cap-friendly contracts would free up a tremendous amount of cap space to be used elsewhere (not naming names, but a particular superstar defenseman from Sicamous, BC may be made available at some point in the next year).

He isn’t a superstar prospect, but Connauton has developed from a one or two-trick pony (big point shot, great skater) into a top four defenseman at the AHL level and a legitimate NHL prospect.

A sampling of Connauton’s offensive (and defensive) abilities:

Jeff delivers his thoughts on news relating to the Canucks each Thursday morning. His work can also be found over at DobberHockey.com, as well as his personal blog, AngusCertified.com. Give him a follow on Twitter @anguscertified.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#1336 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

If he was still in college right now, his stats will be similar to Justin Shultz. I thinkt he reason why we didn't gaurantee him a NHL roster spot was because, Gillis's scouts told him, that he just an above average prospect. Probably just as good as Connauton and thats it. IF Connauton does not make our team, how the hell does Shultz make our team?

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#1337 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,977 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

I'm really looking forward to the day Kevin joins the canucks.

#1338 CHodgson9

CHodgson9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

If he was still in college right now, his stats will be similar to Justin Shultz. I thinkt he reason why we didn't gaurantee him a NHL roster spot was because, Gillis's scouts told him, that he just an above average prospect. Probably just as good as Connauton and thats it. IF Connauton does not make our team, how the hell does Shultz make our team?

Neither Schultz or K-Conn would displace our top 4 (Bieksa-Hamhuis, Garrison-Edler), and Tanev/Ballard are as solid a 5-6 in the league. Ballard may not be a cap friendly #5, but I would argue he is a luxury to have as a 5-6 instead of being forced into the top-4 being unfit.

That is to say, I agree with you.

Edited by CHodgson9, 26 July 2012 - 02:05 PM.

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

#1339 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,977 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Neither Schultz or K-Conn would displace our top 4 (Bieksa-Hamhuis, Garrison-Edler), and Tanev/Ballard are as solid a 5-6 in the league. Ballard may not be a cap friendly #5, but I would argue he is a luxury to have as a 5-6 instead of being forced into the top-4 being unfit.

That is to say, I agree with you.

Nauts and Tanev had some good chemistry on the moose/wolves when they played together. they work off eachother quite well, and Nauts is much more cap frendly. if He's ready we could see Ballard moved to free up some space somewhere else, if necessary. it would be sad to see though, as I like Ballard a lot, but the nauts rocket cannot be denied.

#1340 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

our poor d prospects

not too much room there now or in the future
Posted Image

#1341 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

our poor d prospects

not too much room there now or in the future

It's not like there is a long list of NHL defensive prospects waiting to make the club. I think there is the right balance of depth on our club. I'm sure Connaughton will get some games in this year for Canucks. And we have what's his name who got hit by a car...
Posted Image

#1342 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

How did his physical game progress last year?

#1343 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

It's not like there is a long list of NHL defensive prospects waiting to make the club. I think there is the right balance of depth on our club. I'm sure Connaughton will get some games in this year for Canucks. And we have what's his name who got hit by a car...

Connauton.

You are in posting in the thread WITH HIS NAME in the title... and yet it's still spelled wrong.
Posted Image

#1344 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,977 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

sauve. he's like a bigger, more physical tanev.

#1345 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Connauton's offensive game - at least when he was with the Giants - was AMAZING. I think he still needs to work on the Dzone game. But we've been saying that for good 2 years now. Hopefully he's gotten better.

#1346 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,977 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Connauton's offensive game - at least when he was with the Giants - was AMAZING. I think he still needs to work on the Dzone game. But we've been saying that for good 2 years now. Hopefully he's gotten better.

it has.

#1347 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

Canucks prospect Connauton champing at the bit for camp to start

BY GORDON MCINTYRE, THE PROVINCE AUGUST 10, 2012

VANCOUVER – No, Kevin Connauton hadn’t heard the praise Mike Gillis gave him recently, but like anyone he’ll accept a compliment.

“At the end of the day we thought Kevin Connauton’s development in Chicago rivalled that of Marc-Andre [Gragnani],” Gillis said during a recent stint co-hosting the midday show on the TEAM 1040 with Matt Sekeres. “He’s a guy we drafted and who we have very high hopes for, he’s a bigger player, he skates extremely well, he’s got great offence.

“We felt, at the end of the day, we’d be better off giving him an opportunity.”

Connauton’s progress, in other words, led to the Canucks not even bothering to give Gragnani - whom they’d talked up as a future power-play quarterback when they acquired him as part of the Cody Hodgson deal - an offer when he became a restricted free agent on July 1.

Connauton, Gillis said, is expected to compete for a top-six spot on defence.

“I haven’t caught wind of that, but obviously it’s great to hear,” said Connauton, back in his hometown of Edmonton for the summer, training with the Oilers fitness consultant, Simon Bennet. “It’s nice when the people you’re trying to impress say good things about you.

“It’s even more motivation to keep working hard.”

Drafted 83rd overall as a 19-year-old in 2009 out of the Western Michigan Broncos, Connauton went on to set the record for Vancouver Giants defencemen for goals and points in a single season before joining the Manitoba Moose and then the Chicago Wolves when the Canucks switched farm clubs.

The 6-foot-1, 202-pound left-shooting defender – who won the hardest-shot contest at the AHL all-star game last season – was 13-20-33 with the Wolves last season and then went 3-10-13 in 16 playoff games.

The Canucks’ top three pairings seem set, barring a trade: Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis; Alex Edler and Jason Garrison; Keith Ballard and Chris Tanev; and Andrew Alberts as the No. 7, with newly acquired Derek Joslin filing the role previously held by Aaron Rome.

It’s tough to see Connauton cracking that group. But stranger things have happed on the Canucks’ backend the past couple of years.

The criticism against the offensively gifted 22-year-old has been that he’s one-dimensional, that his play in his own zone hurt his team.

“My defensive play has always been the knock against me,” he said. “It’s something I’ve tried to shake off, get rid of, and I think I’ve done a pretty good job.

“From two years ago, my game is as different as night and day. I feel like a completely different player. My game is more complete, I’m way more confident in all zones.

“I’ve made great strides.”

gordshockey@hotmail.com

twitter.com/gmacsports
© Copyright © The Province

Read more:http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz23Np3OfOL

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1348 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

I played ball hockey against him 2 summers ago he was playing forward but yes his offensive game abd his shot was unreal. He didnt play this year which says maybe he's been working hard this summer.

#1349 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Read more:http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz23Np3OfOL

nice,

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Connauton

Tanev
Alberts

Powerplay

Edler-Garrison

Bieksa-Connauton

If Connauton plays almost as solid defensively as Tanev I'd rather have him play, he's bigger, grittier and way better offensively.

Edited by TheGame., 13 August 2012 - 03:46 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1350 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Kevin Connauton@K_Nauts
A plague has swept the nation. Be a sponsor & for just $1 a day you can help end this epidemic and keep assholes from raising their trucks.

Great Tweet.

Subbancopy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.