1410 replies to this topic

#121 sirensong87

sirensong87

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

Don't you think is kinda too soon to say something like that? He wasn't even drafted 1 year ago, and your saying trade him? Unbelievable. From what I heard about him, hes not even bad defensively. It's just the minus 6 that is scaring people like yourself.

He's a -8 thru 8 games.

And he is that bad defensively, hes a 19yr old who played with men last year and is now playing lesser competition and looks as bad defensively as he did in college last year. If his defensive game wasnt as lacking as it was he wouldn't have been slated to be a 5th rd pick because the offense is there and thats what made Gillis take him early was his upside offensively. They believe he has room to grow and that he's smart enough to learn defensive hockey but as of right now his defensive game is amongst if not the worst among 19yr old prospects in the CHL.

#122 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,286 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:48 PM

He's a -8 thru 8 games.

And he is that bad defensively, hes a 19yr old who played with men last year and is now playing lesser competition and looks as bad defensively as he did in college last year. If his defensive game wasnt as lacking as it was he wouldn't have been slated to be a 5th rd pick because the offense is there and thats what made Gillis take him early was his upside offensively. They believe he has room to grow and that he's smart enough to learn defensive hockey but as of right now his defensive game is amongst if not the worst among 19yr old prospects in the CHL.

Willie Mitchell is also our leading scorer...You gotta realize that stats don't always tell the whole story. And offensive defenceman are usually minus players. There's plenty of time for him to round out his defensive game, he's probably got at least three years till he is even considered for this team anyways.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#123 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

He's a -8 thru 8 games.

Wow, I am personally not impressed with someone that is -8 through 8 games, but cmon, slow down a bit. As the guy above me said, we are not really expecting him to jump into the lineup anytime soon anyways, on top of that, if it turns out a bad pick, it was a bad 3rd round pick. It's not like it was a 1st rounder.

But the point is to right now, slow down, calm down, he is a 3rd rounder, that is minus 8, but is almost a PPG guy.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#124 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

One more year in the dub and 3 years on the Moose should fix his defensive play.
Sig too big.

#125 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

He's a -8 thru 8 games.

If Mason Raymond can go from one-dimensional speedster to a very good PKer
If Kyle Wellwood can become a good 2-way Center
if Michael Grabner can learn to play decent defense

then I'm pretty sure Kevin Connauton can improve his defensive game.

Edited by Gnickers87, 08 October 2009 - 01:45 PM.

Posted Image

#126 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

One more year in the dub and 3 years on the Moose should fix his defensive play.

Yep, he's a long term prospect for sure but I feel like he'll turn out to be a solid player down the road.

As Gnickers said, if Wellwood and Raymond can learn to play 2 way games and be responsible defensively then Connauton can do it as well.

#127 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

Scored the winning goal with less than a minute left in a 5-4 Giants win.

#128 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,656 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

Awesome! :D
Posted Image

#129 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:40 AM

http://www.vancouver.../0910/1010b.htm

CONNAUTON THE HERO AS GIANTS GET LAST MINUTE WIN!

It was a goal that the Vancouver Giants never thought they would need. With a 4-1 lead after two periods a win look pretty safe over the Medicine Hat Tigers, but a furious 3rd period come back by the Tigers tied the score, and set the stage for some heroics from defenseman Kevin Connauton. Connauton’s 3rd goal of the season was the game winner, with 43 seconds to go in the 3rd to break a 4-4 tie and give the Giants a 5-4 victory over the Tigers.

The two teams traded goals in the first period, and the Giants took over the Game with 3 in the 2nd, only to watch the Tigers score 3 in the 3rd to tie it, before Connauton’s shot from the blue line eluded a crowd in front and goalie Tyler Bunz to give the Giants the win, their 6th of the season.

Brendan Gallagher scored 2, Cass Mappin with his first as a Giant and Neil Manning also scored for the Giants, who were outshot for only the 2nd time in 10 games this season, 34-32. Jamie Tucker made a couple of huge saves in the final seconds as the Tigers came close to evening the game. Medicine Hat was led by Tristan King who scored two goals.

After giving up 2 power play goals and not scoring any the night before in a loss to Kelowna, the Giants special teams were good, with a power play goal on 4 chances, and a perfect 3 for 3 night on the penalty kill.

Vancouver will play next on Monday afternoon in Chilliwack against the Bruins.
Audio

Brook Ward with Kevin Connauton

Morley Scott and Bill Wilms with Head Coach Don Hay

Select article number below to stop scrolling,
then click Play to listen!

9 points in 10 games now, thats 4th best on the team and 2nd best for Dmen on the team. Also, now he's only -7.

#130 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:15 PM

1 goal 1 assist for him tonight. +3.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#131 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:19 PM

Wow, another Jonathan Blum?

pllleeeeaaasssseee
Posted Image
Sven Bärtschi watch: 0GP 0G 0A 0Pts

#132 TRIPP3D

TRIPP3D

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:49 PM

This Brendan Gallagher guy is pretty good.

#133 whysoserious

whysoserious

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

11 points in 12 games now and only a -4.
Posted Image

#134 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

^

Not bad at all, Fifth in defencemen scoring in the whl.
Posted Image

#135 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

full stats:
12 GP, 4G (2 PPG) 7A 11Pts -4 15PIM

he's looking better defensively (thank goodness) in addition to great offense.

The kid is looking good!

#136 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,732 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

Can he play for Team Canada WJC or is he ineligible?

Edited by playboi19, 17 October 2009 - 03:40 PM.

#137 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

Can he play for Team Canada WJC or is he ineligible?

he was born feb 23, 1990, so he will not be 20 until feb 23, 2010. He is indeed eligible for the WJC.

#138 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

He's a -8 thru 8 games.

Actually if you listen to Kevin describe the 2 leagues (WHL to NCAA) he said skill wise are on par but the WHL is FAR more physical and he wasn't quite ready for that adjustment when he first came to the Giants.

He was asked to go play for the Giants to learn under Don Hay what it takes to be a complete hockey player. You can see he is progressing...that is if you ever decided to go out to a Giants game and watch him in person rather than just look at stat pages then make a half cocked post.

He is really learning when to pinch and when not to. And 3pts in 2 games this past weekend...yeah that isn't going to get it done.
Posted Image

#6 David Musil. 26th among North American Skaters.
I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#139 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

Actually if you listen to Kevin describe the 2 leagues (WHL to NCAA) he said skill wise are on par but the WHL is FAR more physical and he wasn't quite ready for that adjustment when he first came to the Giants.

He was asked to go play for the Giants to learn under Don Hay what it takes to be a complete hockey player. You can see he is progressing...that is if you ever decided to go out to a Giants game and watch him in person rather than just look at stat pages then make a half cocked post.

He is really learning when to pinch and when not to. And 3pts in 2 games this past weekend...yeah that isn't going to get it done.

I agree 100 percent with this post.

#140 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

We have something special. In the prospect tourneys i felt that Connataun was better then Oberg. However Oberg did impress me in the pre-season games :).
Posted Image

#141 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

I think going to the Giants to play under Don Hay was the smartest thing he did and it's gonna help him big time.

#142 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:18 PM

Tips 2 @ Giants 4 - F
2. VAN Cunningham, (8) (Manning, Hodder), 2:27
2. VAN Gallagher, (6) (Connauton, Manning), 14:04 (PP)
3. EVT McCrea, (3) (Theriau, Dailey), 2:47 (PP)
3. VAN Gallagher, (7) (Manning, Connauton), 8:42 (PP)
3. EVT Hunt, (1) (Gudas, Tochkin), 14:45
3. VAN Henry, (5) (Musil, Kytnar), 19:20 (EN)
Shots
Everett Silvertips 8 8 6 22
Vancouver Giants 5 9 10 24
3 Stars
1. VAN - 10 Lance Bouma
2. VAN - 11 Brendan Gallagher
3. EVT - 21 Zack Dailey

Look at the shots. Any Giants team that gets under 30 shots is in for a bag skate their next practice. But the scoring % tonight might have saved them from puking after skating in practice. I have NEVER seen a Giants team get under 30 shots and win by 2.

Kevin keeps up his point streak tonight with 2A. Kevin as NHL scouts I have talked to is "getting it". Kev is drinking the Don Hay Kool-aid and figuring out what it is to be a 2 way player. The score sheet tonight has him as a -1 but that isn't right. 2 even strength points but one goal against regular stregth puts him +1 in my books. That will be fixed later.

Good win for the Giants and good on Kevin for "getting it" and adding to his stats. Canucks brass and fans should expect this young man to produce in the future. Might need a season or 2 in the AHL but this kid has the skill to be an NHLer.

Edited by old_time_hockey, 23 October 2009 - 10:21 PM.

Posted Image

#6 David Musil. 26th among North American Skaters.
I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#143 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

Tips 2 @ Giants 4 - F
2. VAN Cunningham, (8) (Manning, Hodder), 2:27
2. VAN Gallagher, (6) (Connauton, Manning), 14:04 (PP)
3. EVT McCrea, (3) (Theriau, Dailey), 2:47 (PP)
3. VAN Gallagher, (7) (Manning, Connauton), 8:42 (PP)
3. EVT Hunt, (1) (Gudas, Tochkin), 14:45
3. VAN Henry, (5) (Musil, Kytnar), 19:20 (EN)
Shots
Everett Silvertips 8 8 6 22
Vancouver Giants 5 9 10 24
3 Stars
1. VAN - 10 Lance Bouma
2. VAN - 11 Brendan Gallagher
3. EVT - 21 Zack Dailey

Look at the shots. Any Giants team that gets under 30 shots is in for a bag skate their next practice. But the scoring % tonight might have saved them from puking after skating in practice. I have NEVER seen a Giants team get under 30 shots and win by 2.

Kevin keeps up his point streak tonight with 2A. Kevin as NHL scouts I have talked to is "getting it". Kev is drinking the Don Hay Kool-aid and figuring out what it is to be a 2 way player. The score sheet tonight has him as a -1 but that isn't right. 2 even strength points but one goal against regular stregth puts him +1 in my books. That will be fixed later.

Good win for the Giants and good on Kevin for "getting it" and adding to his stats. Canucks brass and fans should expect this young man to produce in the future. Might need a season or 2 in the AHL but this kid has the skill to be an NHLer.

he had 2 power play p[oints, not even stregnth. and he was on for the even stregnth tally of the other team, that's -1, not +1.
http://www.whl.ca/st...game_id=1006287

still, he's looking good, I hope he just continues to get better and better. perhaps he'll be on the moose next year he he improves enough this year (since he was drafted out of the NCAA he can go there at any time)

Edited by avelanch, 23 October 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#144 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:37 PM

He is pretty good... Not much whl defensemen has a point a game.
Posted Image

#145 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:52 AM

he had 2 power play p[oints, not even stregnth. and he was on for the even stregnth tally of the other team, that's -1, not +1.
http://www.whl.ca/st...game_id=1006287

still, he's looking good, I hope he just continues to get better and better. perhaps he'll be on the moose next year he he improves enough this year (since he was drafted out of the NCAA he can go there at any time)

If I'm not mistaken isn't he already 19 and would get to play there next season anyways? Wasn't his draft year last? But again I could be wrong.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#146 falcon

falcon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:48 AM

If I'm not mistaken isn't he already 19 and would get to play there next season anyways? Wasn't his draft year last? But again I could be wrong.

Yea I think Connauton is the almost the same age as Sauve, so he could probably play for the moose next year.

#147 Jimmy_the_scot

Jimmy_the_scot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:53 AM

Connauton follows a unique path

From Hockey's Future. Pretty good read. Not much new that I can see other than personal life stuff.

#148 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

apparently Connauton just made anamazing defensive play, closed the gap and eliminated all options of the offensive player. they have a powerplay now.

#149 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

If Kevin can absord all that Don Hay is feeding him this year he is going to take one enormous step up the depth charts. Offense is already there and a good skater with an increase in size..we could have a complete player on our hands.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#150 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,286 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:38 PM

Connauton with a goal tonight in a 5-4 win over the Rockets. He now has 15 points in 16GP, not too shabby. :)

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.