The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Cannata | G

Diamond Smurf

he was eligible in 2008, he just wasn't drafted.

http://www.hockeysfu...cts/joe_cannata

I was just going by what they said. It's definitely weird though. I've also noticed that Kesler is a full year older than 2003 draft eligible players as well, and he doesn't have a late birthday...Maybe it's a US college thing? I actually have no idea.

EDIT: Just checked 2003 NHL entry draft, and Parise, Jessiman, Stuart and Eaves are US players in 1st round that all do not have late birthdays but was drafted a year later like Kesler. All attended NCAA. The exception was Ryan Suter who was drafted straight out of US National Team Development Program, and Dustin Brown who played in the OHL who are a year younger than those guys mentioned above, but in the same draft class.

http://www.hockeysfu...cts/joe_cannata

I was just going by what they said. It's definitely weird though. I've also noticed that Kesler is a full year older than 2003 draft eligible players as well, and he doesn't have a late birthday...Maybe it's a US college thing? I actually have no idea.

EDIT: Just checked 2003 NHL entry draft, and Parise, Jessiman, Stuart and Eaves are US players in 1st round that all do not have late birthdays but was drafted a year later like Kesler. All attended NCAA. The exception was Ryan Suter who was drafted straight out of US National Team Development Program, and Dustin Brown who played in the OHL who are a year younger than those guys mentioned above, but in the same draft class.

typically, players that are committed to going to university in the usa tend to not submit themselves for draft eligibility before they are graduate from high school. I'm not sure why. here is the eligibility rules though:

Entry Draft Eligibility

All players age 19 or older [(i) any player who will be age 18 on or before September 15 in the year in which such Entry Draft is held, or (ii) reaches his 19th birthday between September 16 and December 31, both dates included, next following Entry Draft, can attain eligibility by delivering to the League a written notice (Opt in Form) prior to the later of May 1, or seven days following the date such player finishes competing on his team in the year in which such draft is to be held.] are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:

(i) A Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;

(ii) A player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;

(iii) A player who previously played in the League and became a free agent pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement;

(iv) A plyer age 21 or older who had played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19 or 20

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377#entry_elig

which means he would have been eligible in 08, had he opted into the draft. so he wasn't really passed over, he just didn't enter.

• 1 month later...

A bump for the oft-forgotten goaltender in our system; Cannata has been putting together another fantastic season that will certainly garner another Hobey Baker consideration. His numbers for the nation’s seventh-ranked team, the Merrimack College Warriors, have been outstanding. 11-4-5 / 2.02 G.A.A./ .927 Save %.

Last year, the 6'1, 200lbs Cannata, led Merrimack to their first ever Hockey East Final, where they lost to Boston College. He was the team's top player all year and was rewarded with a nomination for the Hobey Baker award for top collegiate player.

This is his senior year, so hopefully he continues to put up career numbers and advance well into the NCAA Frozen Four. After which he will no doubt sign his first pro contract with the Canucks

So underrated on here... I don't understand why the hype machine hasn't started for this guy. Nobody we have had who is close to this good has only three pages!

The guy has a good chance at being an upper end NHL starter... His ceiling is high and he should be able to follow a Schneider like path of development. When Lack is out backup Cannata will be the AHL starter.

So underrated on here... I don't understand why the hype machine hasn't started for this guy. Nobody we have had who is close to this good has only three pages!

The guy has a good chance at being an upper end NHL starter... His ceiling is high and he should be able to follow a Schneider like path of development. When Lack is out backup Cannata will be the AHL starter.

We have quite the goalie prospects right now. We've definitely changed from the goalie graveyard era.

If everything goes right with this guy I could see him in the NHL in 3-4 years.

There is no hype because he is a goalie. We have Luongo forever. Schneider, Lack, Cannata, Hoznik etc. will be nothing more than back-ups for the Canucks, and back-ups generally have lower trade value than an accomplished starter. If this was the Auld/Cloutier/Omelette era (ie no Lu or Schneids) we would be wetting ourselves over goalie prospects like Lack and Cannata.

It seems like it is feast or famine. When we had Auld & Omelette we only had Schneider who was a late first round pick entering into his second year at Boston College and was considered a long-term project. Heck we were screaming to call up Flaherty but couldn't cause he would be picked up off waivers.

I was a little surprised/concerned that he wasn't at prospects camp last summer.

Anyone know the backstory there?

us college players are not eligible for their NHL team to help with travel/hotels/food or anything, the player has to pay for everything out of pocket. A lot of college players dont attend for that reason. NCAA will void their eligibility.

• 1 month later...

Merrimack played Game 1 of their best of 3 quarterfinal series in the Hockey East championship tournament with Maine yesterday. Maine won a 2-1 nailbiter but Cannata put up a stellar performance to keep his team in it, stopping 41 of 43 shots.

Game 2 goes today at 7:00pm EST.

Guest Dasein

I remember his coach said he's better than Tim Thomas.

Yikes...What's this coach smoking?

Maybe better than when Thomas was his age...LOL

Archived