Canucks Community

Joe Cannata | G

Diamond Smurf

Joe Cannata

Goalie

Born Jan 2 1990  -- Wakefield, MA 

Height 6.01 -- Weight 200 -- Shoots L

Selected by Vancouver Canucks round 6 #173 overall 2009 NHL Entry Draft

Season   Team                        Lge    GP   Min   GA  EN SO   GAA   W   L   T   Svs    Pct

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007-08  U.S. National Under-18 Te   NAHL    5   307   12   0  0  2.35   3   1   1   128  0.914

2008-09  Merrimack College           H-East  23  1353   53   0  2  2.35   7  11   4   595  0.918

2009-10  Merrimack College           H-East  24  1362   69   0  2  3.04  10  13   1   633  0.902

2010-11  Merrimack College           H-East  39  2251   93   0  1  2.48  25  10   4   947  0.911

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----

Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007-08  U.S. National Under-18 Te   NAHL    5    0    0    0    0

2008-09  Merrimack College           H-Eas  23    0    0    0    2

2009-10  Merrimack College           H-Eas  24    0    1    1    0

2010-11  Merrimack College           H-Eas  39    0    2    2    2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

College goalies are not a bad route to go as the NHL farm system has limited spots (2 AHL/2 ECHL) for a goalie to develop. Let him finish college and maybe he'll be ready to step into the minors at that point. In the meantime look for free agents to fill spots. Don't need to use too many picks on goaltenders.

• 1 year later...

After and up and down season last year, Canatta is having a better year in 2010-11.

He's on the Hobey Baker ballot (along with about 100 players...):

http://www.merrimackathletics.com/sports/mice/2010-11/releases/20110119Hobey

From the article:

"Cannata ranks first in Hockey east with a 2.00 GAA and second with a .925 SV% among HEA goaltenders. He received Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week honors for the third time this year following the victory over Maine. The junior has started in all 21 games this year and has only allowed four goals twice this season."

Not bad, especially for a 6th round pick. Assuming he stays in college for one more year, he'll slot in nicely on the moose in a couple years. Lack and Cannata could both be pushing for NHL jobs.

From the Boston Globe newspaper (Globe.com): http://www.boston.co...l_hes_joe_cool/

In goal, he's Joe Cool

Unflappable Cannata backstops Merrimack

539w.jpg

A 28-save performance in a 3-2 victory over BU last week was classic Joe Cannata. (Jim Davis/Globe Staff)

By Nancy Marrapese-Burrell Globe Staff / January 26, 2011

NORTH ANDOVER — Merrimack was in command, or so it seemed. The Warriors were leading Boston University, 3-0, after two periods Jan. 18 at Lawler Arena. The season series was on the line as well as the game, and they were 20 minutes away from victory.

In the first seven minutes of the third period, the Terriers roared back with a pair of goals, the second coming at 6:56. Merrimack coach Mark Dennehy thought about calling a timeout but opted against it, and BU kept coming in waves. The Terriers never got that tying goal, though, and the biggest reason was junior goaltender Joe Cannata, who finished with 28 saves, 13 in the final period.

Cannata's unflappable demeanor resonated throughout the team that night and every other night he has been in net.

"I don't know that 'pressure' and 'Joe Cannata' go together in the same sentence,'' said Dennehy. "He's the calmest goaltender that I've ever been around.

"One thing I've always looked for in goaltenders is how they react after a goal. Some kids will get deeper in their crease, some guys will get rattled. He's not affected. I don't know that I've seen him affected by anything in the net.''

Cannata, a native of Wakefield, said he felt the Terriers' intensity in the third period but he deflected the credit for holding it off, particularly to his defensemen.

"It was a little overwhelming, but we had a couple of guys blocking shots,'' said Cannata. "We were just trying to get whistles at that point, slow the game down and let us take control.

"With a veteran team, guys know you can't really get rattled about that and you've got to just keep going. We did a good job with kind of weathering the storm there.''

Dennehy said it was largely because of Cannata that he didn't use his timeout.

"Teams will play differently in front of different goaltenders,'' said the coach. "We're able to take some risks that maybe we wouldn't take in a different situation because we know we have Joe back there.

"When BU scores a goal, it's like there's blood in the water and they're great white sharks ready to take a bite. They go right back to the net and they score in bunches. But we have a veteran team and the game is going to be about momentum changes. You've just got to stay the course.''

A valuable tip There is still a long way to go, but Merrimack is having an excellent season. The Warriors, who won nine games in Cannata's freshman year and 16 last year, already have 13 victories (13-5-4) with 12 games to go.

Cannata is riding a 13-5-4 record with a 2.15 goals-against average and .920 save percentage heading into this weekend's games against Vermont. The Warriors have taken the season series from both BU and Boston College for the first time. Dennehy said he believed as early as the recruiting process that Cannata was going to be an important cog in the wheel of success

BC High coach John Flaherty, who has known Dennehy since high school, tipped him off to Cannata, who had transferred to that school from Buckingham Browne & Nichols. After hearing from Flaherty, Dennehy did more research.

"He had gone to BB&N prior, so I called [coach] Terrence Butt and he said, 'Get all over him, this kid is a ridiculous athlete,' '' said Dennehy. "The last time I heard that, I was at UMass and we were recruiting Jon Quick.

"So I went to see him at BC High, and I'll never forget, I was at Tully Forum watching a state tournament game and he was big. He took the bottom of the net without giving up the top and he was just calm and the team responded to that.''

Dennehy went hard after Cannata and received a verbal commitment but he worried that was in jeopardy because of the temptations of other programs triggered by Cannata's play for the US National Under-18 team during the 2007-08 season. Cannata, though, said there was no need for concern; he felt he belonged at Merrimack.

"It was a dream of mine to play Division 1 hockey,'' said Cannata. "You talk to some goalies and you hear horror stories. They were told they were going to play but when they get there, there's another recruit who is better than them and stuff like that. I knew [Merrimack] wasn't going anywhere but up.''

Auspicious start Dennehy said Cannata's character was apparent in his very first college game, at Army Oct. 18, 2008.

"Our guys absolutely laid an egg in front of him,'' said Dennehy. "We get outshot, 44-22, and won the game, 1-0. The players, the coaches, we were like, 'He's as advertised.' And I'm sure he was thinking, 'I hope they play better in front of me; I can't do this every night.' ''

Cannata said the West Point campus, the atmosphere, and his first time in net made for some intimidation, but his focus was on stopping pucks.

"We had played BU earlier in the week and we lost by a lot [5-2],'' he said. "Guys were pretty upset. Going into [Army], I just wanted to give the team a chance to win. They peppered me with a lot of shots and I was able to get my first shutout.''

Merrimack captain Chris Barton has watched as Cannata has improved his skills and gained more confidence with each season.

"He's come a long way since his freshman year, that's for sure,'' said Barton. "He's worked hard all summer long and he's made huge strides already this year and he's one of the best goalies in the league by far.''

There was no loss of poise when BU was swarming the net.

"Obviously, it starts with Joey to calm it down and he made some incredible saves to keep that puck out,'' said Barton. "We were never really worried about Joe at all, we were just trying to get back to what we were trying to do and we did that and got a power play out of it and kept it out of our net.

"A lot of guys on our team are willing to block shots, and I think that's helped him as well. If you can block the shot, block it, but make sure he can see it, and if he can see it, he's going to stop it almost every time.''

If there is a knock on Cannata, it's that he's too calm, too low-key. Dennehy tries to address that by lighting a fire under his netminder where necessary, as in the weight room. The goalie said he appreciates it.

"To get me to my best ability, he's got to be on me,'' said Cannata. "That's better for both of us. I welcome that and really enjoy it and hope to keep doing it the next couple of years.''

Cannata is a Vancouver Canucks draft pick (No. 173 overall in 2009), and Dennehy said he'll broach the subject of his goalie's senior year after this one. Judging from what Cannata says, there is no need to worry about a defection.

"There's no reason for me to leave, there's no rush,'' he said. "I have a good thing going here and really enjoy my time here, the campus, the school, and I want to graduate with my senior class.''

Nancy Marrapese-Burrell can be reached at marrapese@globe.com. dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

© Copyright 2011 Globe Newspaper Company.

http://www.boston.co...l_hes_joe_cool/

Gotta love the goalie depth in the Canucks' system:

Eddie Lack--the Stork has been an amazing signing and looks like he'll be taking over for Schneids as the Canucks next great goalie prospect

Tyler Weiman--wonder if he'll be re-signed after this season? he's been pretty solid for the Moose and is still fairly young at 26

Joe Cannata--see the article I posted above

Jonathan Iilahti--wish we heard more about him on CDC... all I know is: 2010-11, 13 games, 2.38 GAA, 0.912 Sv% in Jr. A SM-liiga with the U20 Blues, which is pretty good (but he's also had a rough year when you look at the games he played on loan in the Finland2 league and he really struggled in the international U20)

Gotta love the goalie depth in the Canucks' system:

Eddie Lack--the Stork has been an amazing signing and looks like he'll be taking over for Schneids as the Canucks next great goalie prospect

Tyler Weiman--wonder if he'll be re-signed after this season? he's been pretty solid for the Moose and is still fairly young at 26

Joe Cannata--see the article I posted above

Jonathan Iilahti--wish we heard more about him on CDC... all I know is: 2010-11, 13 games, 2.38 GAA, 0.912 Sv% in Jr. A SM-liiga with the U20 Blues, which is pretty good (but he's also had a rough year when you look at the games he played on loan in the Finland2 league and he really struggled in the international U20)

All I know about him is that he hates signing contracts on NHL 11.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting. What round of the NCAA playoff tournament did Merrimack get eliminated in? Somehow that link isn't working for me mellow.gif

First Round.

Yeah it's the right link and it isn't working now. :\ Weird.

• 2 months later...

Archived