The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Cannata | G

Diamond Smurf

I haven't seen an update on the extent of the injury but this was reported in the transactions for the Onterio Reign.

02/08/2015 Joe Cannata Deleted from Roster Placed on 21-day injured reserve

Thanks! Kind of sucks. He was having a good season as well. Would have had a chance to get a few games in against better competition.

Maybe he's ok now:

ECHL All-Star goaltender Joe Cannata has been reassigned to Utica from the @ontarioreign. Release: http://www.uticacomets.com/?p=5054

Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher announced today that the Vancouver Canucks have reassigned goaltender Joe Cannata to the Utica Comets from the ECHL Ontario Reign.

Cannata, 25, currently ranks second in ECHL goaltenders in goals-against average (2.13) and ranks third in save percentage (0.926). He has allowed just 40 goals in 19 games with Ontario and has posted a 10-6-0-2 record with a shutout. He was named the starting goalie in the ECHL All-Star game.

The Wakefield, Mass. native appeared in 28 games with the Comets last season and went 11-12-1-3 with a 2.83 goals-against average and a 0.907 save percentage. He finished the season strong by winning seven of his last nine starts with just a 2.08 goals-against average.

A sixth-round selection (173rd overall) of the Canucks in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, Cannata played four years at Merrimack College from 2008-12, where he appeared in 122 career games posting an overall record of 59-46-16 with seven shutouts, a 2.47 goals-against average and a save percentage of .915.

• 4 weeks later...

Cannata is having a fantastic game from the sounds of it.

He`s shown that he`s ready for this level if Eriksson decides to return to Europe next season.

Hopefully we have a O`conner/Cannata duo next season if everything goes according to plan.

• 1 month later...

Canatta started the playoffs with a loss, and then a win, but in the win "Midway through the third period, Cannata suffered an apparent lower body injury and was forced out of the game, prompting Jussi Olkinuora to come on at 10:49, while Ontario was already in the midst of killing an Everett Sheen penalty for slashing." that sucks, but his team tied up the series 3-3 last game and they are playing game seven tonight. hopefully he'll be back soon

• 4 weeks later...

Really? Cannata has some good technique, but he's not nearly the goalie Markstrom is at this level. I had higher hopes for him, but he's only been ok in the AHL and will be behind whoever of the top three we keep, Demko and Eriksson if he stays.

I think Cannata is just a victim of Vancouver's goalie depth over the years. If he had been developed in the AHL for the last couple years or so, I think he would be a much better goalie than we are seeing now. Not to mention, he'd be a goalie that might actually have a future in the NHL. But at this point, we should be happy if he becomes a really good goalie in the AHL level.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Home / Comets Tales / Comet Tales: Cannata Is on His ‘A’ Game

Comet Tales: Cannata Is on His ‘A’ Game

Lindsay A. Mogle /  Utica Comets

The numbers don’t lie. Joe Cannata has his ‘A’ game going.

Through the first five games of this AHL season, Cannata has been a busy man. With 300 minutes in goal, and 118 pucks shot at him, only eight have found their way into the net. Throw in a .932 save percentage, a 1.42 goals against average, and his first American Hockey League shut out on Saturday, and it’s safe to say Joe is on top of his game.

Cannata_Joe

Joe Cannata

More numbers pop out on the progression of Cannata as Utica’s leader in the crease. During a stretch of seven days, from Saturday October 17 in Hartford to Saturday October 24 at The AUD facing the Crunch, Cannata, statistically, grew stronger.

In three games played last week the Wakefield, MA native allowed just three goals, one that arguably should have been waived off. That goal was the only goal scored Friday night against Hershey.

To further fuel a conversation that Cannata is in a groove, the next night he one-upped himself in pitching a 30-save shutout at the expense of now eastern conference rival Syracuse.

Reporters have the luxury of combing through seemingly endless amounts of data to quantify their theories and summations of positions taken. Before each Comets game, a packet of notes are distributed, allowing those covering the contest more than 25 pages (both sides) of every possible movement made by every player participating in the game.

However, even after appreciating the analysis offered, there’s the human element that shapes opinions.

New flash – Joe Cannata appears to be settling in, knowing he is the starter and the Comets go-to guy in the net. Getting to where he is today shouldn’t surprise those who are familiar with Cannata’s past.

Right time, right place, this is how it appears Cannata’s success has been fueled. The goalie situation is not as clogged as it has been the past two years in Utica. Gone is Joacim Eriksson (to Riga Dynamo of the Russian-based KHL). Gone is Jacob Markstrom (backing-up Ryan Miller in Vancouver). Ticketed for Utica, but not yet arrived is Richard Bachman (backing-up Miller, as Markstrom recovers from injury).

As of now, and going forward, the starting role for Cannata as Utica’s guardian in-between the pipes is his to grow with. The road traveled to The AUD for Cannata hasn’t been done on a straight and narrow highway; more like driving an ATV on back roads.

Remember Cannata last season? Five games in Travis Green’s line-up, that was it. A numbers game with goalies ushered the Wakefield native to Southern California, and the ECHL’s Ontario Reign.

All Joe Cannata did was accept the move, and thrive. Posting a 12-6-2 record, along with a .927 save percentage, Cannata allowed two goals or less in seven games. He represented the Reign in the league’s all-star game and stopped 15 of 16 shots during his twenty minutes of work for the eventual winners.

Playing before sold out crowds in Utica doesn’t appear to add any additional pressures to Cannata’s game. Hockey, and sports in general, is what makes Cannata tick.

“I always enjoyed playing all sports,” Cannata says. “My parents took me to learn to skate. I stuck with it, and started playing hockey as much as I wanted to.”

The rise of Joe Cannata’s performance level pretty much has gone through convention channels – high school, college, to beginning his professional days in 2012, with one game in net for the AHL Chicago Wolves (then Vancouver’s affiliate).

Boston College High School, an all-male Jesuit Roman Catholic prep school in Dorchester, 20 miles from Wakefield, is where Cannata’s stopping pucks began getting notice from scouts. While at BCHS, Cannata ran up an incredible 16-1-1 record. After his junior year, the next step on the road that would lead to Utica began.

“I was asked to join the team. They needed a goalie,” said Cannata, prior to the Comets home-opener.

That team is the USNTDP Under-18 (United States National Team Development Program). During the 2007-08 season, based in Ann Arbor,MI, Cannata saw ice time in five games. Many of his teammates have either seen game action on the NHL level, or are currently on AHL rosters. Kyle Palmieri, Ryan Bourque, Jeremy Morin, Danny Kristo, and Drew Shore are a sampling of who Cannata grew as a young man with, on and off the ice.

Given team locations and travel requirements, Cannata tells of not being able to keep in touch with his former teammates, perhaps as much as he would want.

“It’s hard. We’re friendly, but everyone moves on,” states the Canucks’ 2009 draft selection. “I grew up playing against Ryan (Bourque). I know his dad (Raymond Bourque) and his brother (Chris Bourque).”

Taking the lessons learned with the USNTDP program, traveling the country and playing against top tier competition, Cannata’s next step in his hockey process brought him back home – sort of.

Cannata shortened his commute for college hockey, from 20 miles to Boston College High, to just 12 miles – from Wakefield to North Andover, MA. Hello, Merrimack College.

With the campus located south of the Merrimack River, Cannata played his four years of Hockey East (122 games) in a city roughly the same size of Wakefield. For those who may have hesitations that Cannata, having been in the line-up for all of the Comets games thus far, may be in need of a rest, it’s clear that he was a workhorse in college.

59 collegiate wins are what impressed the Canucks enough to bring Cannata into their fold.

“Playing four years (at Merrimack) was the best script for me,” says Cannata. “My mom was on me to get my degree. I grew up watching Boston College and Boston University, idolizing those guys. Getting to play some of those teams was great.”

The ups and downs of being moved from one city to another, often with little or no warning, could shake the confidence of an athlete. For Joe Cannata, he has found a way to roll with that of which he has no control over. Last season in California, aside from finding out just how much traffic there is in the Los Angeles area, Cannata enjoyed his time spent with the Reign.

No longer is he the goalie on standby or packing his bags for destination to be decided, Joe Cannata IS THE guy in net for the Comets – for now. Making the most of his leadership role, blocking shots is his remedy to continued success at The AUD – and beyond.

• 6 months later...

He'll compete against Philipp Grubauer to be Holtby's backup. Good on him. Was always buried here. WIsh him luck in the future. Would've rather had him over Bachman, to be honest, but that's how things work out. Best of luck, Cannata!

Archived