The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Cannata | G

Diamond Smurf

as previously thought Merrimack did not make the final 16 selection for the NCAA tourney. his season is officially over.

Ah well. So ends a very successful college career for Cannata. Next stop: the AHL and an ELC with the Canucks!

With lou locked up for such a long time (most likely wont play till the end of his contact; 2022), eddie lack probably will be moved in the same way cory will be since it will be hard for him to always be a number 2 guy. so does that mean cannata is the actual heir to franchise or will he most likely be developed then traded as well.

what do you guys think? should i let myself get emotionally attached to him and risk feeling the inevitable sadness that looms this summer from loosing Schneider again?

I love lou but I also love dreaming of the future!

With lou locked up for such a long time (most likely wont play till the end of his contact; 2022), eddie lack probably will be moved in the same way cory will be since it will be hard for him to always be a number 2 guy. so does that mean cannata is the actual heir to franchise or will he most likely be developed then traded as well.

what do you guys think? should i let myself get emotionally attached to him and risk feeling the inevitable sadness that looms this summer from loosing Schneider again?

I love lou but I also love dreaming of the future!

I was thinking this same thing awhile ago. I think Cannata really could be the guy the Canucks groom to be their future starter. Let's say Cannata spends 4 whole seasons in the minors and develops slowly, much like Jimmy Howard did in Detroit. That would take us until the end of the 2015/2016 season with 6 years left on Luongo's contract (wow). By then it could very well be plausible to make Luongo the backup as he'll be older and his salary would justify a backup position. Or, Cannata plays as Luongo's backup for a season or two and then, as long as Cannata actually shows he can be a starter in the NHL, he would definitely be ready to unseat Luongo. The timing seems about right, but Cannata would have to be pretty patient. It's tough to spend 4 seasons in the minors but hopefully the Canucks build up a Detroit-like reputation where players are willing to suck it up and pay their dues in the minors for a chance to play for a great organization.

BTW...

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's a nice little feature on Cannata:

Hahahahaha, he sounds so awkward on camera. You can hardly tell that he's got tons of poise on the ice from his Phil Kessel-like interview :P.

Seriously though, Cannata is going to be great and we can really afford to take our time in developing him. He seems like a good guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he was Luongo's successor.

I was thinking this same thing awhile ago. I think Cannata really could be the guy the Canucks groom to be their future starter. Let's say Cannata spends 4 whole seasons in the minors and develops slowly, much like Jimmy Howard did in Detroit. That would take us until the end of the 2015/2016 season with 6 years left on Luongo's contract (wow). By then it could very well be plausible to make Luongo the backup as he'll be older and his salary would justify a backup position. Or, Cannata plays as Luongo's backup for a season or two and then, as long as Cannata actually shows he can be a starter in the NHL, he would definitely be ready to unseat Luongo. The timing seems about right, but Cannata would have to be pretty patient. It's tough to spend 4 seasons in the minors but hopefully the Canucks build up a Detroit-like reputation where players are willing to suck it up and pay their dues in the minors for a chance to play for a great organization.

Look at the post above yours. You probably didn't see it before typing, just making sure you saw!

Interesting tidbit about him & Schneider skating together a few times:

CHICAGO — The ink was barely dry on Joe Cannata's first pro contract with the Vancouver Canucks when he was thrown to the Wolves.

That would be the Chicago Wolves, the Canucks' AHL affiliate.

Cannata, who signed a two-year entry-level deal with the Canucks on Wednesday, heads to Vancouver Thursday to spend a couple of days meeting members of the organization. Then it's on to Abbotsford to join the Wolves, who meet the Abbotsford Heat in back-to-back games late next week.

"From what they said, they don't know if I am going to get a game or not, but I'll get a taste of the pro life," Cannata said over the phone from his suburban Boston home. "I am going to fly back with the team to Chicago, stay in the team hotel there and then I'll head home after the regular season ends to finish school and graduate."

Cannata is earning a business management degree at Merrimack College in Massachusetts, where over the past four years he helped reverse the fortunes of the small school's hockey program.

"It has been my goal since I was a little kid to play as a professional and I hope to make the best of this opportunity and see how far I can go," said Cannata, who was Vancouver's sixth-round pick in the 2009 draft. "It's just the start, but it's exciting and I am happy to be a part of the Canucks' organization."

Cannata was a four-year starter at Merrimack and established himself as one of the top collegiate goalies in the U.S. Before joining Merrimack he played for the U.S. national junior program.

"When we got him, it was kind of a thunderbolt moment for our program," Merrimack coach Mark Dennehy said Wednesday. "He was the first player we got from the U.S. national program. We tried to build this program from the net out and we thought he was someone who could help us do what we ended up doing, which is become a national threat."

Dennehy has no doubt that Cannata is ready for the pro game.

"He is the stereotypical goaltender, 6-foot-1, 195 or 200 pounds, he is really good down low and is a big body up top. Out of the 37 games he played in this year he only gave up more than two goals eight times. So in terms of quality starts it was almost every night he was giving us one."

The Canucks see Cannata as the heir apparent to Eddie Lack in Chicago. If Cory Schneider does get traded in the off-season, the Canucks are hoping Lack is ready to be a backup in Vancouver. And they also hope Cannata is ready for a heavy pro workload. He thinks he is.

"I view this a little like going from high school to college, everything is just that one step faster and you have to up your game a little bit and up your focus," Cannata said. "I am excited for the challenge and hopefully the transition works out as well as it did from high school to college."

He hopes his even-keeled demeanour will help him make the adjustment.

"The thing I have always tried to do well at is be composed, never really let things affect me too much," he said. "I try to use my size as best I can and the one thing I have learned is the best I can control that first shot the easier it is. That is something I have worked on the last four years to get better at. It's only going to get harder at the pro level so that is something I am going to continue to work at."

Cannata knows fellow Boston-area native Schneider quite well. The two have spent some time together the past two summers and work with the same coach, Brian Daccord.

"It was great to skate with him a couple of times last summer and the summer before that," Cannata said of Schneider. "He is one of the best and someone I have looked up to. You learn so much just looking at him. He was helpful enough to give me a couple of pointers when I was in the net and hopefully I can skate with him a couple of times this summer, too."

bziemer@vancouversun.com

On Twitter: Twitter.com/bradziemer

vancouversun.com

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz1pmyPCAbv

Cory Schneider is the last goalie I can remember the Canucks developing for quite some time. Now we have big Eddie in Chicago and a fresh college kid in Cannata. I am pretty impressed by management's drafting and development of defensemen and goalies in the recent past. Now we just need to find some forwards for our system - pretty weak list of high end prospects there. I hope Cannata adjusts to the pro game really well and forces changes to the big club in 2013.

Cory Schneider is the last goalie I can remember the Canucks developing for quite some time. Now we have big Eddie in Chicago and a fresh college kid in Cannata. I am pretty impressed by management's drafting and development of defensemen and goalies in the recent past. Now we just need to find some forwards for our system - pretty weak list of high end prospects there. I hope Cannata adjusts to the pro game really well and forces changes to the big club in 2013.

What about these guys?

Not bad for a contending team already set on forwards with a 1st and a 2nd going into this year's draft.

In regards to the players you mention and a couple of others, Kassian is already with the club and he came from Buffalo. Ducco and Bitz were signed last off season and are marginal prospects at best. Rodin is new to North America and is not a prospect yet. Jensen and Labate are years away.

The only players from our system to stick the last couple of years were Hodgson and Grabner and they were traded for parts. Coho just did not fit the role the club needed filled and his need to be in the spotlight would not be fulfilled here. Just too slow and really a perimeter player imo. Grabner looked like a prospect, until he got hurt playing soccer and was never given another chance. After he was hurt, he became a perimeter player too.

Maybe Schroeder and Sweatt will come up and replace Coho and Mayray next year. I do not see them lighting up the scoreboards, I hope that I am wrong. Other than these two the cupboards are bare my friend.

Ducco and Bitz were signed last off season and are marginal prospects at best. Rodin is new to North America and is not a prospect yet. Jensen and Labate are years away.

Sorry, but can you clarify on the bolded? How is Rodin not a prospect?

that's a great question. apparently, in his mind, there is a status that comes before "prospect", which most people refer to as "someone else's prospect" or "undrafted", but i'd love to hear what cocosdad thinks rodin is if he's not a prospect.

^ actually I'm just assuming its a 3 year deal because it is an entry level contract, don't take my word for it though...

It's a 2 years. ELC's are for 3 years if players are 21 years of age or younger, 2 years for 22 & 23 year olds and 1 year for 24 year olds.

Archived