363 replies to this topic

#1 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Didn't see this made yet here. Might as well post it.

http://thechronicleh...ts/1129566.html

Steven Anthony almost gave up hope that he would be drafted on Saturday but then everything changed at the last minute.

The Vancouver Canucks made a late trade to acquire a seventh-round pick (187th overall) at the NHL draft in Montreal, which they used to select the Halifax native.

"As itís winding down, youíre just thinking ĎOh man, thereís only so many picks leftí and it keeps getting less and less," he said. "I was just really fortunate and lucky.

"It was the longest three hours of my life. I was sitting there just hitting refresh, refresh, refresh on the computer. I was eventually refreshing slower as it was winding down but then I got a call from Vancouver telling me they selected me. I didnít believe it at first but then I refreshed and there it was."

Anthony spent the last two seasons with the QMJHLís Saint John Sea Dogs, accumulating 62 points in 122 games, including 48 points in 67 games last season. His strongest stretch was in the second half last year when he posted 29 points in 30 games.

The six-foot-two, 195-pound forward was a huge scorer in bantam and midget but is the first to admit he has struggled with consistency in major junior. He feels like that will change now that heís been picked by an NHL team.

"It definitely gives you a boost of confidence," Anthony said. "I lose confidence here and there sometimes but with this, itís boosted me back up and itís making me believe I can be the player I think I can be. Itís just a good feeling. I know itís going to pass over to my game and to my confidence. I feel like Iíll be playing with the fun I used to play with again."

Anthony is also encouraged the Canucks engineered a trade on the draft floor just so they could get him. They dealt Shaun Heska to the Phoenix Coyotes to get the pick they used on Anthony, who feels like getting his foot in the door with an NHL team will help him get a fresh start.

"Iím looking at it like that, especially (since) Vancouver didnít have a pick in the last round," Anthony said. "They traded for a seventh-round pick and ended up using it on me. That shows that they do want me. If they pick you, that means that they have interest in you and thatís what matters. This is just so exciting."

Anthony said he had no idea who would pick him but talked about a meeting he had two weeks ago with a Halifax native who scouts for the Canucks.

"I had an interview with Darrell Young two Fridays ago and I guess it went well," Anthony said. "I donít know if he had anything to do with me being picked but I appreciate whoever it was that (recommended) me.

"Being out in Halifax, you watch a game in Vancouver and it starts at around 12 oíclock at night so you donít catch many of them. But I know Yann Sauve well because weíre on the same team and heís a big fan of the team, obviously being drafted by them last year. He has a lot of good things to say about the organization. This just feels so good. Iím speechless."

It's great to know it's really boosted his confidence, I think his confidence was totally destroyed by that last coach.
Posted Image

#2 RBK+Edler

RBK+Edler

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

lol i like the fact that i'm from down the road from halifax this is great hopefully he'll be on the team when the canucks win the cup lol
Mason Raymond Goal Counter - 1
Alex Burrows Goal Counter - 2

#3 trose

trose

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

lol i like the fact that i'm from down the road from halifax this is great hopefully he'll be on the team when the canucks win the cup lol

Where are you from I am from the cape and I watch this guy alot
AV should be fired and I started saying this at the start of the 2007-2008 seasons.

The Team we have this year can score but no we have to play the trap in the post season.

MG has been great but he has made one mistake keeping this lame Coach.

A one man fore check will not win in the post season. Forget your three minutes away crap it is a game plain that only takes one mistake to go wrong.

In the NHL you have to have room for mistakes anything can happen. How many goals have been scored on a bad bounce?

If a bad Bounce can take you out of the game your game plain sucks.

If we keep playing this kind of Game Congrads to the young Hawks Team for a Great year.

If we can tie up the coach before the game then play the game we played all year Wings see you in 6 days.

#4 Caper

Caper

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

Where are you from I am from the cape and I watch this guy alot

Another Cape Bretoner!
LongHanded - Somewhere between Don Cherry and someone coherent.

#5 AlbertEinstein

AlbertEinstein

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

sometimes some confidence can help a player immensely. Glad to hear it helped him out and hope he really grows from this.

#6 luongo4ever

luongo4ever

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

sometimes some confidence can help a player immensely. Glad to hear it helped him out and hope he really grows from this.

Does anybody else see the resemblence between him and grabner? i mean i know grabner was a 1st round and anthony was a 7th round, but both seemingly got taken on solid finishes to the draft year> i remember them talking about how the canucks just couldnt pass up on grabners last half of his season. If anthony works out half as well as grabner did, well get a decent roster player which is more than shaun heska will ever be. THe ultimate low risk high reward pick. Awesome job gillis!

#7 cuporbust

cuporbust

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

Another Cape Bretoner!

What the hell is with your sig. Disturbing to say the least
Posted Image

#8 trose

trose

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

Another Cape Bretoner!

YOu mean I am not the only one in the Cape fliping over the sedin I felt so alone lol
AV should be fired and I started saying this at the start of the 2007-2008 seasons.

The Team we have this year can score but no we have to play the trap in the post season.

MG has been great but he has made one mistake keeping this lame Coach.

A one man fore check will not win in the post season. Forget your three minutes away crap it is a game plain that only takes one mistake to go wrong.

In the NHL you have to have room for mistakes anything can happen. How many goals have been scored on a bad bounce?

If a bad Bounce can take you out of the game your game plain sucks.

If we keep playing this kind of Game Congrads to the young Hawks Team for a Great year.

If we can tie up the coach before the game then play the game we played all year Wings see you in 6 days.

#9 Fat Alberts

Fat Alberts

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:51 PM

What the hell is with your sig. Disturbing to say the least

I laughed pretty hard. [It is originally a TV remote he sticks up his donkey, from the "Mom Cancels Teen's Warcraft Account Video." He's that unlucky teen who freaks out]

Posted Image

IMO the green men should accentuate their bulge so the opposing team is not only humiliated but intimidated.

#10 Claude Feig

Claude Feig

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

we will decide if he was a steal in a few years

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Bertuzzi Babe <3 <3 <3 <3

#11 TheKottonmouthed

TheKottonmouthed

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:56 PM

He had all these knocks on him and I think it finally hit him during that what must of been agonizing hours becuase he knows if he would of had a better attitude he wouldn't of been n that spot.

He's seems like a guy with so much potential just didn't have his head in the right spot to be a proffesonal. I really think after being so highly touted when he was midget player then having to relize he may not even get drafted that he had really screwed up royally.

I believe we will see the Anthony of old next season as form his qoutes it seems he feels he has gotten his second chance in hockey.

I'm stoked we may of just gotten one of the biggest steals of the 09 draft.

3 possible steals int his draft Schroeder at 22nd Rodin at 53rd and Anthony at 187th.

MG you are the freaking man

Edited by TheKottonmouthed, 28 June 2009 - 04:57 PM.

#12 ilikecanucks

ilikecanucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for that article...great insight into the mind of a young hockey player.

This pick was nowhere close to a gamble, but could pay off in a huge way down the line.

I like this pick, even if he doesnt make, right now this is a very good pick based on value alone.

#13 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

this is potientally a great sleeper pick

work ethic is one thing, but you can't buy talents and skills. There is a reason why this kid was comparable to players such as JT and Crosby. With the right developoment direction, this kid can be a very good 7th pick~

anyone know if he can join the moose in the near future?

#14 NorthVan Canuck

NorthVan Canuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

Interesting....Shroeder plays with Patrick White, and Anthony plays with Sauve. I wonder if that had anything to do with the picks. I'm really excited about both of them. Shroeder is the most skilled prospect we've had in awhile (Hodgson was last year, so that doesn't count), and Anthony just needs to try harder (I thing he will now that he's trying to earn a nice contract).

Edited by 22c-hop33, 28 June 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#15 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:12 PM

He had all these knocks on him and I think it finally hit him during that what must of been agonizing hours becuase he knows if he would of had a better attitude he wouldn't of been n that spot.

He's seems like a guy with so much potential just didn't have his head in the right spot to be a proffesonal. I really think after being so highly touted when he was midget player then having to relize he may not even get drafted that he had really screwed up royally.

I believe we will see the Anthony of old next season as form his qoutes it seems he feels he has gotten his second chance in hockey.

I'm stoked we may of just gotten one of the biggest steals of the 09 draft.

3 possible steals int his draft Schroeder at 22nd Rodin at 53rd and Anthony at 187th.

MG you are the freaking man

Don't forget Peter andersson, Gradin say he is like Edler, well.. hopefully!
Posted Image

#16 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,599 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

People need to remember and I'm stressing this cause I've been repeating myself over in other threads.

Steven Anthony does not have attitude and work ethic problems. If he had work ethic problems, he would have been a healthy scratch on his team because his coach is extremely strict.

At the age of 16, heading into the Quebec Major League. Kid lacks toughness and mentality to handle such a touch coach. Sauve, Depres, all fell in the rankings. I think next year will be a better outcome for all the players.

Steven Anthony started putting up points in his last 30 games, not because he wasn't given the opportunity before hand. Anthony was forced to play on the 3rd lines. It was until Christopher DiDomenico got traded that Anthony got his shot.

The highest scorer on the team is 17 year old Michael Kirkpatrick who never got drafted. The QMJHL is one of the most difficult places to scout players because of their system. David Gilbert was ranked in the 2nd round by several of scouts. He fell into the 7th round. You really have to watch these players play to understand their potential.

Edited by Rey, 28 June 2009 - 05:39 PM.

#17 MaroonNight

MaroonNight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

The kid sounds stoked. Hopefully this booster of confidence is able to help bring out the potential in him and become the player we as well as himself believe he could be. Sometimes a little confidence does unimaginable wonders and makes things that much easier. Nice to see the Canucks give him a chance.

Edited by MaroonNight, 28 June 2009 - 05:36 PM.

#18 ilikecanucks

ilikecanucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

The kid sounds stoked. Hopefully this booster of confidence is able to help bring out the potential in him and become the player we as well as himself believe he could be. Sometimes a little confidence does unimaginable wonders and makes things that much easier.

Exactly, look at what confidence or lack there of did for Marian Hossa in this years playoffs. When he had, often he was the best player on the ice, when he didnt, he was invisible.

Not comparing Hossa and Anthony, just noting how low confidence even hurts some of the games elite at times.

Lets just hope this kid realizes he is close to the NHL, and needs to play like it.

#19 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

People need to remember and I'm stressing this cause I've been repeating myself over in other threads.

Steven Anthony does not have attitude and work ethic problems. If he had work ethic problems, he would have been a healthy scratch on his team because his coach is extremely strict.

At the age of 16, heading into the Quebec Major League. Kid lacks toughness and mentality to handle such a touch coach. Sauve, Depres, all fell in the rankings. I think next year will be a better outcome for all the players.

Steven Anthony started putting up points in his last 30 games, not because he wasn't given the opportunity before hand. Anthony was forced to play on the 3rd lines. It was until Christopher DiDomenico got traded that Anthony got his shot.

The highest scorer on the team is 17 year old Michael Kirkpatrick who never got drafted. The QMJHL is one of the most difficult places to scout players because of their system. David Gilbert was ranked in the 2nd round by several of scouts. He fell into the 7th round. You really have to watch these players play to understand their potential.

notsure if you had said it on the other threads, but do you mind to give us a quick analysis on Steve anthony since it seems like you havea closer watch to this kid :D

#20 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

Sounds extremely happy (and relieved) to be drafted...he's got his second shot, now hopefully he runs with it...

I do believe that being on the same team as Sauve meant he was seen more often by Canuck management checking in on Sauve. A good break for this kid...
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#21 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

What Rey is saying is that the "attitude" problem might come from his previous coach.

Basictly this coach always put down his players and never compliment or say anything positive to his players. Basictly this Sea Dog coach has hindered the developtment of many great players such as Sauve (who was touted to go before doughty (drafted first overall in the qmhjl draft)).

However! This coach was fired last season half way through! Anthony managed to rack up a point a game after this crap coach left. Next year we should see his point production go up.

The old coach did not like him and did not give him PP time and stuck him in the third and fourth line.

Edited by Sanford, 28 June 2009 - 05:53 PM.

Posted Image

#22 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,599 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

notsure if you had said it on the other threads, but do you mind to give us a quick analysis on Steve anthony since it seems like you havea closer watch to this kid :D

I don't look deep in the QMJHL so I don't know Anthony that well. I just reading several of reports and talking to other people.

Steven Anthony's top assets are his skating and tape to tape passes. His shot is average. For a big man, he could play the body more. He needs a LOT of work on his faceoffs. He has character and plays his best day in and day out.

The problem here you may just see is that his Coach used Anthony on the 3rd line of the Sea Dogs and because of that. His offensive totals aren't good but he has potential to put up points. Once, given time on that 1st line. He was putting a point per game, 29 points in 30 games.

In the end, It was much surprise for most of the people who follow the QMJHL. Most said that Anthony would not fall pass the 4th round. Should have been a 2nd round pick on potential alone. Although, remember. This draft is extremely deep.

Two problems that pop up is that - 1) he was never showcased until the last part of the season and 2) the QMJHL is one of the hardest to read leagues. Players rankings are all over the place. Like i said with David Gilbert was ranked 47 in the hockey news, and 46 in the international scouting services went in the 7th round. Oliver Roy dropped to the 7th round as well. Saint John's Michael Kirkpatrick who showed character, excellent play in all 3 zones and was the Sea Dog's MVP never got drafted.

We will see Anthony playing a bigger role next year with the Saint John. So, expect him to breakout next year though when he was younger, there was some thoughts that he may go play in the NCAA.

Here is just one ranking(Top 25 QMJHL players ranking): http://www.hockeysfu...spects_for2009/
You'll notice, for the most part, the QMJHL players went all over the board.

All in All, his work ethic isn't a problem at all. I'd think you have to think about him playing more of a physical game and using his body more. If he can learn to do that, he will be solid NHL'er.

Edited by Rey, 28 June 2009 - 06:33 PM.

#23 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

Sounds like a good pick but I would like to see him play.
Posted Image

#24 Resiliency

Resiliency

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

What Rey is saying is that the "attitude" problem might come from his previous coach.

Basictly this coach always put down his players and never compliment or say anything positive to his players. Basictly this Sea Dog coach has hindered the developtment of many great players such as Sauve (who was touted to go before doughty (drafted first overall in the qmhjl draft)).

However! This coach was fired last season half way through! Anthony managed to rack up a point a game after this crap coach left. Next year we should see his point production go up.

The old coach did not like him and did not give him PP time and stuck him in the third and fourth line.

:) Btw, did Sauve have any improvement after that douche got fired?

Posted Image

#25 Chewbacov

Chewbacov

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

Jacques Beaulieu was fired at the end of the season... so we shall see.

#26 spooner

spooner

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

I am stoked to see how this kid works out. From what I've read, he has the tools. Could end up being a monster steal in this draft.

#27 Caper

Caper

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:54 PM

YOu mean I am not the only one in the Cape fliping over the sedin I felt so alone lol

I think there's like 4 of us here. Represent!

#28 cuporbust

cuporbust

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:02 AM

make that five ,but your sig is making me question why i am here. :lol:

Edited by cuporbust, 29 June 2009 - 12:02 AM.

Posted Image

#29 Caper

Caper

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:15 AM

make that five ,but your sig is making me question why i am here. :lol:

My sig is Sutter's reaction when we sign J-Bo on July 2nd. (It'll take a day)

#30 Pacificgem

Pacificgem

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

Interesting pick, sounds like a good kid. Hopefully he turns out to be a good nhler!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.