Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sanford

Steven Anthony Talk

364 posts in this topic

Lol @ those comments on facebook

Wondering what differs from those and what your average young male db would say, though?

and we are supposed to believe that's really anthony? why would he be in a college residence chat? you've been had.

Can anybody inform me of what happened to Steve?

Wonder if he'll get in a game this weekend... he got 1 game last year, hopefully he can show how he's improved.

Scored his first pro hockey goal against the Chicago Express in a 4-2 loss. Anthony had 4 shots on net and was +1. Ellington had 5 shots.

Stats

towel.gif

Former Sea Dog enjoying solid start to pro career

Sure he'd rather be a couple of rungs higher on the professional hockey ladder, but for first-year pro Steven Anthony, life is pretty good these days.

The 20-year-old former Saint John Sea Dog is a member of the Kalamazoo K-Wings of the East Coast Hockey League. Drafted in the seventh round, 184th overall by Vancouver in the 2009 National Hockey League Entry Draft, Anthony's season started at the Canucks rookie camp in early September. He moved to the main camp a couple of weeks later where he rubbed shoulders with superstars Roberto Luongo, Ryan Kesler and the Sedin twins - Daniel and Henrik. He was eventually sent to the American Hockey League affiliate Chicago Wolves. It appeared he might see some action with the Wolves but after travelling with the team on its first road trip and not dressing, he was sent to Kalamazoo, located almost exactly halfway between Chicago and Detroit.

An avid baseball fan, Anthony finds himself sandwiched between Tiger fans and those from the Windy City. Still, he proudly wears his Yankee cap through the streets of this Michigan city with a population of 74,262. He's not alone, though. There are no doubt plenty of other Yankee fans in town. It has, after all, been the hometown of Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter since his family moved there from New Jersey when the sure-fire Hall of Famer was four years old.

But back to hockey for a moment.

"There are so many good players who were good junior players, good college players, good European players that are coming up, it's definitely very competitive," said Anthony, who is in the first year of a three-year NHL entry-level contract with the Canucks. "It just feels good to get the season started."

Sitting fifth all-time in games played - 244 - in Saint John franchise history, Anthony said he would have loved to have been at Harbour Station on Saturday night when the Sea Dogs were presented with their Memorial Cup rings. His parents, Eric and Millie, were on hand to represent their son.

"I was talking to some of my closest friends on the team - Kirky (Michael Kirkpatrick) and Tommer (Mike Thomas) - and we were all saying how nice it would be if we could get back for the ceremony but none of us could." After being released by the St. John's Ice Caps of the AHL, Kirkpatrick is now at St. Francis Xavier University where he'll suit up for the X-Men. Thomas is a member of the AHL's Springfield Falcons. All three, along with Simon Despres and Eric Gelinas, offered their best wishes via Harbour Station's jumbotron.

"Saint John will always be my second home," said Anthony, a Halifax native. "The way the fans came around our team the last couple of years is what I'll remember but the biggest thing was the end of the year at the parade and 10,000 people came out. That was something."

No doubt he's shared those memories with his new roommate, in a fun way of course.

Anthony is living in Kalamazoo with goaltender Maxime Clermont, who was the No. 1 netminder with the Gatineau Olympiques last season. The Sea Dogs beat the Olympiques in the QMJHL final last year and advanced to the Memorial Cup. Clermont was taken by New Jersey in the sixth round of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. The Kalamazoo franchise is made up of players belonging to the Canucks and New Jersey Devils.

"I haven't been too bad with it but if he starts to bug me, I'll remind him."

Anthony's first professional goal came in his third game with the Wings - a 4-2 setback to the Chicago Express on Oct. 22 - and it was one he'll remember for a long time.

"Actually, it was a nice goal," he said, sounding half surprised. After a faceoff in the offensive zone, the puck wound up behind the net where Anthony picked it up, circled around the offensive zone, put a good move on a defender and fired a shot that went off the crossbar and in to make it 2-1.

"For your first one, it's a nice one to remember," he said.

Anthony followed up his maiden marker with two goals in a 6-5 win over the Cincinnati Cyclones on Saturday and also had an assist in a 3-1 win over the Express on Friday.

With the obvious goal of getting to the NHL as quick as possible, Anthony insists he's going to be patient.

"I'm one of the younger pro players and there are a lot of things you need to learn," he said. "You have to play a different game. It's more of a controlled game.

"Obviously, I'd like to be in Chicago in the American League but there are a lot of good players. I want to get there this year. There are so many things that can happen. (Former Sea Dog defenceman Yann) Sauve is an example. Last year, he was hurt, started the year in the ECHL and about a month later, people were getting hurt and he was in the NHL. It's a process, it's fun and there's no where else I'd rather be as a 20-year-old pro hockey player."

7g, 5a in 18 games played for Anthony, and +5 so far. He's got 20 PIMS, though many of them seem to be hooking, tripping calls. laugh.gif

Nonetheless it's nice to see him put up numbers. Wanna see him get a shot with the Wolves. 2 guys ahead of him on the K-Wings depth chart got loaned to AHL teams too so here's hoping he gets even more ice time.

Anthony seems to be injured again, as he hasn't dressed in quite a while for the K-Wings. Anyone know what happened?

According to the article at mlive.com/kwings on Feb 1:

Bootland said injured forwards Steven Anthony and Prab Rai haven’t skated for a while, but the three injured defensemen, Harry Young, Sam Ftorek and Wes O’Neill have been on the ice.

@StAnthony16

For people wondering it's a herniated disc in my lower back.....Should be good to go in a couple weeks #cannotwait

He also sounds very anxious about getting back in through other tweets, so anyone questioning his passion for the game seems to be mistaken.

^ Nice, thanks for the update. Didn't even realize he had twitter until I saw this. Hope he gets well soon!

Thanks for the twitter update, I better get in gear and add Anthony to my twitter feed. Hopefully he comes back and finishes the season strong.

Thanks for the twitter update, I better get in gear and add Anthony to my twitter feed. Hopefully he comes back and finishes the season strong.

Any word on when this guy is expected to be NHL ready?