The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post Yo Face In The Twilight Sparkle Party

Rate this topic

Gerg

5 hours ago, luckylager said:

Get a hand trainer from a music shop.

Pay for lessons for your first couple / few years.

i was thinking of taking up lessons from long and mcquade. my holiday schedule isn't as hectic anymore and ill have some extra time on my hands. i'll give them a call tomorrow, i guess today xD or wednesday at the latest

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i was thinking of taking up lessons from long and mcquade. my holiday schedule isn't as hectic anymore and ill have some extra time on my hands. i'll give them a call tomorrow, i guess today xD or wednesday at the latest

I started playing long before youtube came to be, but I imagine there could be some helpful "learn to play" stuff on there.  It still won't replace an instructor though, it's really best to learn properly from the beginning before you develop all sorts of bad habits. 

Take the time to learn your scales thoroughly, try not to get too caught up in learning songs for while. 

Just like a house or a hockey team, in music, a solid foundation is everything. If you don't take the time to learn theory you'll have a hard time jamming with people and creating your own basslines from their rhythms / leads. 

11 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

30 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I started playing long before youtube came to be, but I imagine there could be some helpful "learn to play" stuff on there.  It still won't replace an instructor though, it's really best to learn properly from the beginning before you develop all sorts of bad habits. 

Take the time to learn your scales thoroughly, try not to get too caught up in learning songs for while. 

Just like a house or a hockey team, in music, a solid foundation is everything. If you don't take the time to learn theory you'll have a hard time jamming with people and creating your own basslines from their rhythms / leads. 

And just to add to the sport analogy make sure to stretch before you play.  This is the one thing I can't stress enough, no athlete get's out of bed and goes directly onto the field, they all stretch.  I know with casually teaching people to play guitar I see a lot of people get frustrated and quit because they have a tough time using all four fingers to form chords and can't properly hit the notes without fret farting.  Take the 10-15 minutes to stretch out each finger(extend your arms in front and stretch each finger as far back as you can and hold for 10 seconds, turn your hand upside down and repeat) after that play every note on the bass/guitar - every string, every fret.  No pain no gain, I know it's boring as fack but it's the fastest way to get your fingers to do what you want them to do(and the ladies will thank you as well). 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

And just to add to the sport analogy make sure to stretch before you play.  This is the one thing I can't stress enough, no athlete get's out of bed and goes directly onto the field, they all stretch.  I know with casually teaching people to play guitar I see a lot of people get frustrated and quit because they have a tough time using all four fingers to form chords and can't properly hit the notes without fret farting.  Take the 10-15 minutes to stretch out each finger(extend your arms in front and stretch each finger as far back as you can and hold for 10 seconds, turn your hand upside down and repeat) after that play every note on the bass/guitar - every string, every fret.  No pain no gain, I know it's boring as fack but it's the fastest way to get your fingers to do what you want them to do(and the ladies will thank you as well). 

Solid advise.

My first bass teacher preached a good stretch. After years of playing, it's something that has completely fallen out of routine for me. I also don't get to play nearly as often as before kids.

Most of my warm up is stretching anyhow, just with my hand on the neck.

Run scales, ascending and decending, straight,  in 3rds - 5ths over two octaves, a few arpeggios, bit of reggae, then game on.

On 12/26/2016 at 0:32 AM, Twilight Sparkle said:

first lesson: learn to hold the thing right xD

goals for 2017 :3

Image may contain: one or more people, guitar, christmas tree and indoor

Screw all the typical tips & tricks on form, function, practice & the like.

Just fall in love with the instrument, how it sounds, how it feels, how it makes you feel.

The rest will follow.

14 year player, never had a lesson, often asked to gig/record, & I still have more to learn than I could ever hope to teach. Just love playing the bass.

PS "Money" is one of my favourite bass lines.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2017-01-22 at 3:42 AM, falcon45ca said:

Screw all the typical tips & tricks on form, function, practice & the like.

Sorry, but that is awful advice.   

Yes, you can be self taught, but nowadays when there is so much information out there, why wouldn't you use it. 

'Typical tips and tricks on form' are around to prevent injury and to improve movement, consistency, comfort and easiness to play.  

A couple lessons in the beginning makes a huge difference in your playing quality and speed of your learning.   

You show me a self taught bass player at 1 year of experience, and I'll show you 20 people who took lessons and are better at 6 months.  

Obviously the love for the sound and and instrument is already there, or why would you spend money on getting set up?

i am a completely self taught musician, and I still believe beginner lessons is a good idea.  

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Sorry, but that is awful advice.   

Yes, you can be self taught, but nowadays when there is so much information out there, why wouldn't you use it. 

'Typical tips and tricks on form' are around to prevent injury and to improve movement, consistency, comfort and easiness to play.  

A couple lessons in the beginning makes a huge difference in your playing quality and speed of your learning.   

You show me a self taught bass player at 1 year of experience, and I'll show you 20 people who took lessons and are better at 6 months.  

Obviously the love for the sound and and instrument is already there, or why would you spend money on getting set up?

i am a completely self taught musician, and I still believe beginner lessons is a good idea.  

I think it's more important to learn to love your instrument before you wade into the massive ocean of information that's out there. Many beginners are easily frustrated by lessons that go over their heads, practice schedules that are too intense for a pure beginner, & technique exercises which are painful on the hands at the start (the bass can be a very painful instrument to learn).

Show me 20 beginners after 6 months of lessons & I'll show you 1000 who stopped after 6 weeks cuz' they couldn't get their head around the difference between the Ionian & Phrygian modes.

The number of quality instruments that are sitting around collecting dust because their owners were frustrated early on is staggering. Just cruise Kijiji, it's one of the top reasons folks sell instruments.