The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SkyTrain to UBC

nitronuts

It's accurate.

They are misinformed and ignorant because they think that a street-level system with low capacity will successfully operate along Broadway when it won't. Look at the Canada line for example. They wanted LRT there too, we built a subway and it's already having capacity issues as built and needs more cars and expanded platforms soon.

They're self-focused because they want to push LRT on Broadway so they can get LRT in the valley.

These people believe that:

1) LRT on Broadway will take 3-months to build.

2) LRT on Broadway will create very little disruption to businesses.

3) LRT will cost only $15-million per kilometre, and at the same time they claim the LRT will have the features of a $70-million per kilometre LRT!

4) Vancouver commuters don't mind longer travel times.

5) The Canada Line is a riderless white elephant.

6) A SkyTrain to UBC only serves UBC...there is a lack of understanding of the importance of the Broadway corridor as a whole.

7) The ridership on Broadway does not justify SkyTrain. :lol:

8) "Subway lines need 400,000 passengers per day to be feasible" :towel:

There's opinion, and then there's just delusions and misinformation that are repeated so many times some people begin to think it's factual.

A lot of NIMBY's can't conceptualize that their corridor is a regional corridor tens and tens and tens of thousands of people use everyday. They want streetcar/LRT, which is marginally better than the existing Broadway trolleys and the 98 B-Line...however, it'll most certainly be slower than the 98. Many of these Broadway LRT activists don't even ride transit; they lack a real world view of how transit works.

SkyTrain makes so much sense in every way. It's the one and only long-term solution, and I do hope we've learned our lessons with underbuilding as we did for the Canada Line.

Like I said before, they can disagree with the use of SkyTrain but to go off spouting very wrong information to support their LRT cause is very troubling and a huge concern...I mean, LRT on Broadway is going to cost $15-million per kilometre? :blink:

You can twist figures and dollar amounts to make them say whatever you want to say, I'm sure you know that.

But whatever, it's not like the city/translink engineers are reading a blog to figure out how much things costs. ;)

• 2 years later...

Vancouver always gets the upgrades, its about time Surrey gets some upgrades. As does the rest of the Fraser Valley for that matter. I know I am sick and tired of paying more property taxes every year to Translink for a crapty ass transit system that isn't viable for me to use.

Not true. The major corridors/city centres are quite dense. Nobodies suggesting running sky train to 152nd and 48th ave. Just because Surrey as a whole has vast swaths of farm and park land does not mean it's cores aren't dense. Scott Road, Whalley, Newton, King George, Guildford and Fraser highway for the most part (until you start getting towards Langley...and even that's changing fast) have just as much density as areas already serviced by sky train on the North side of the Fraser (and/or will shortly).

I'm not saying the UBC line shouldn't also be done - it certainly should - but you can't keep expecting SOTF residents to keep paying for transit they can't use. You have to throw them a bone.

Surrey Centre is dense-ish but there are still vast swaths of open space. I used to live in North surrey and still visit my parents there. Walking to transit lines even in the dense areas is a chore. Try walking from Surrey Centre mall across King George to the east to the businesses just across the way. It is at least a five minute walk to get across the street. Not many residences are within a a 10 minute walk of surrey central.

Contrast that to a neighborhood like Kerrisdale and you can walk across the street from business to business in 8 seconds. In 10 minutes you can pass many apartment buildings and condo towers. Vancouver is full of places like that.

Archived