Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

SkyTrain to UBC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#91 Bleed Blue and Green

Bleed Blue and Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Let's bring this idea back!

DeeCanucksBlog7_zps935c66c6.jpg

#92 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Keep dreaming, sadly it'll be another 5 years by the time we see sky trains going to UBC.

Edited by Armada, 02 October 2012 - 09:44 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#93 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Keep dreaming, sadly it'll be another 5 years by the time we see sky trains going to UBC.

20, if Surrey has it their way and gets a BRT before the most congested section of Vancouver gets an upgrade.

#94 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

20, if Surrey has it their way and gets a BRT before the most congested section of Vancouver gets an upgrade.

Vancouver always gets the upgrades, its about time Surrey gets some upgrades. As does the rest of the Fraser Valley for that matter. I know I am sick and tired of paying more property taxes every year to Translink for a crapty ass transit system that isn't viable for me to use.

#95 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Vancouver always gets the upgrades, its about time Surrey gets some upgrades. As does the rest of the Fraser Valley for that matter. I know I am sick and tired of paying more property taxes every year to Translink for a crapty ass transit system that isn't viable for me to use.

Transit isn't viable with the density levels that exist out there.
Moo

#96 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,718 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Transit isn't viable with the density levels that exist out there.

Not true. The major corridors/city centres are quite dense. Nobodies suggesting running sky train to 152nd and 48th ave. Just because Surrey as a whole has vast swaths of farm and park land does not mean it's cores aren't dense. Scott Road, Whalley, Newton, King George, Guildford and Fraser highway for the most part (until you start getting towards Langley...and even that's changing fast) have just as much density as areas already serviced by sky train on the North side of the Fraser (and/or will shortly).

I'm not saying the UBC line shouldn't also be done - it certainly should - but you can't keep expecting SOTF residents to keep paying for transit they can't use. You have to throw them a bone.

Edited by J.R., 03 October 2012 - 10:45 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#97 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

+1
Go Canucks Go

#98 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,909 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Not true. The major corridors/city centres are quite dense. Nobodies suggesting running sky train to 152nd and 48th ave. Just because Surrey as a whole has vast swaths of farm and park land does not mean it's cores aren't dense. Scott Road, Whalley, Newton, King George, Guildford and Fraser highway for the most part (until you start getting towards Langley...and even that's changing fast) have just as much density as areas already serviced by sky train on the North side of the Fraser (and/or will shortly).

I'm not saying the UBC line shouldn't also be done - it certainly should - but you can't keep expecting SOTF residents to keep paying for transit they can't use. You have to throw them a bone.

Surrey residents go to UBC too!

#99 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Surrey Centre is dense-ish but there are still vast swaths of open space. I used to live in North surrey and still visit my parents there. Walking to transit lines even in the dense areas is a chore. Try walking from Surrey Centre mall across King George to the east to the businesses just across the way. It is at least a five minute walk to get across the street. Not many residences are within a a 10 minute walk of surrey central.

Contrast that to a neighborhood like Kerrisdale and you can walk across the street from business to business in 8 seconds. In 10 minutes you can pass many apartment buildings and condo towers. Vancouver is full of places like that.
Moo

#100 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

Build the UBC Line, then take all the 60-footers currently serving the 99 route and move them down to Surrey for their Surrey Ctrl-Newton-White Rock B-Line.

edit: you could probably even remove the 84 from service as there's overlap with the 44 UBC-Downtown route, and the 84's primary goal was to act as an alternate to the jam-packed 99.

Edited by Common sense, 03 October 2012 - 05:52 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.