The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Thunder?

Captain Bob

I had no internet access for a good ten minutes. There was a big flash and I'm thinking, "Did someone take a photo of me?" And then like right after BOOM!

Had something similar happen when I was a kid. I swear the thunder hit before the lightning was done. It was dark out and it lit the house up brighter than daylight. Shook the entire house.

Didn't hear anything tonight though.

Reports say that the lightning earlier may have sparked an interface fire on the North Shore... Crews unable to reach the fire and put it out, so it's just burning freely right now near the Capilano reservoir.

Just saw it on the news. They're not really worried about it considering how wet it is right now. Thankfully this isn't mid summer.

Edited by Grapefruits

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Can anyone explain why I see lighting for a short period, but no thunder? I guess climate change has altered our storm patterns?

Because thunder is extremely difficult to see? ;)

If the event is far enough away, you may not be able to hear the thunder despite seeing the lightning.  Especially in a place with lots of mountains, trees, buildings to mess with sound travel.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

10 stunning photos of last night's lightning storm in Vancouver:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/05/vancouver-lightning-storm-photos/

Thanks for posting.  I would love to take lightning pics someday, as they can look so cool.  

Had a decent storm here a couple months back, but I was driving home from work.  Super dark, and lightning was coming about every minute or so, for a half hour.  Would have been easy to get some great shots had I already been home.